The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2020, 08:06 AM   #1
shkure
Banned

Code 11.59

Tried the new code 11.59 at the AP boutique. Its absolutely as bad as anyone made it out to be. I have never seen a watch that expensive look that cheap on the wrist. Here is a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 08:06 AM   #2
shkure
Banned

Old 13 June 2020, 12:02 PM   #3
donald83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post

I think this is quite nice. Is this the one with a curvature on the crystal?

donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 12:18 PM   #4
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post

I really wonder what the designers were thinking when they made this. It completely lacks the AP DNA.

Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 01:09 PM   #5
J.P. Chase
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
I really wonder what the designers were thinking when they made this. It completely lacks the AP DNA.

I’ve listened to a few interviews from AP’s CEO and it seems as though they were trying to design a watch for millennials. The meaning behind the design/name seems a little forced, like they were trying to expedite the journey. Think instant coffee. My 2c.
J.P. Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 01:22 PM   #6
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Yikes. Yeah, not my cup of tea either. Makes you wonder what is going on at AP. I get that they are trying something new, but wrong direction IMHO.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 01:30 PM   #7
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. Chase View Post
I’ve listened to a few interviews from AP’s CEO and it seems as though they were trying to design a watch for millennials. The meaning behind the design/name seems a little forced, like they were trying to expedite the journey. Think instant coffee. My 2c.

People in their 20s who are buying 20k+ watches? That’s a microscopic market, and still I think they’d prefer something that is more recognizable in that price range.

This is never going to be a success, and the sooner they throw in the towel the better for the brand.

Old 13 June 2020, 02:04 PM   #8
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

The case and crystal design is nice. But, the font on those numeric hour markers is weird. That's the first thing I had noticed about these watches...
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 02:15 PM   #9
guanxi
"TRF" Member

One year after the launch, still no love and really wondering where this will be going...
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 04:18 PM   #10
shkure
Banned

The SA told me they will have some new novelties for the 11.59 later this year, which will be more exciting. Told me to think of the current line as a conservative “A” series...
You know its bad when they train their SA’s to make excuses.

Old 13 June 2020, 04:24 PM   #11
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_driver View Post
The case and crystal design is nice. But, the font on those numeric hour markers is weird. That's the first thing I had noticed about these watches...

The crystal is the most interesting thing on it. The case is over designed with no cohesiveness. The chrono is too thick and sits way to high on the wrist. Date at 4 o clock is ugly. No real symmetry on the dial and the lacquer is meh.

This is my first time posting a negative impression on anything, but the disappointment was extreme. Maybe thats APs goal, either hate it or love it. Dont know anyone who loves it though.

Old 13 June 2020, 04:26 PM   #12
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
I think this is quite nice. Is this the one with a curvature on the crystal?

Yes, the basic 3 hander. The crystal is beautiful and hope it makes it to the royal oak as well. The rest of the watch is bad.

Old 13 June 2020, 06:28 PM   #13
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Code 11.59

They need rebrand this line. Remove the AP brand and spin off a sub-brand, retail AD only. Reprice lower 50-60% and let it compete with dress watch brands in that category.
It’s a beautiful movement.
Old 13 June 2020, 09:17 PM   #14
J.P. Chase
"TRF" Member

Whatever happened to the 34mm dress watch? One of the appeals of a mechanical watch is the era in which it first flourished. There were guidelines and do’s/dont’s of style and these subtleties were code (pun, most definitely intended) for who was “in or out.”

AP and other luxury brands are exclusive clubs with retail membership fees, after all. (Of course, there is more too it but I’m sharing my point)

If AP wants to create a watch and call it code, how about Code 1929... with a case diameter range between 34-37.7.
J.P. Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 09:26 PM   #15
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

The build looks amazing, well executed quality from AP. Chrono dial actually looks cheap (thinking Macy's) whereas the three hander is the more elegant look. I was a hater at first but must admit this piece is growing on me, would definitely be open to trying one on.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 09:48 PM   #16
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
The build looks amazing, well executed quality from AP. Chrono dial actually looks cheap (thinking Macy's) whereas the three hander is the more elegant look. I was a hater at first but must admit this piece is growing on me, would definitely be open to trying one on.

I’ve read similar comments quite a few times, I do wonder how many of those who thinks it’s “not that bad/willing to try it on” ends up buying the watch.

I mean there’s so much good stuff in that price range, being ok simply doesn’t make the cut.

Old 13 June 2020, 10:16 PM   #17
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve read similar comments quite a few times, I do wonder how many of those who thinks it’s “not that bad/willing to try it on” ends up buying the watch.

I mean there’s so much good stuff in that price range, being ok simply doesn’t make the cut.

That's the catalyst, the price range does have lots of options. This is the hinderance I feel with this line. Too expensive. It begs for a significant discount, they would basically have to "pay" me to buy one.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2020, 11:39 PM   #18
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
People in their 20s who are buying 20k+ watches? That’s a microscopic market, and still I think they’d prefer something that is more recognizable in that price range.

This is never going to be a success, and the sooner they throw in the towel the better for the brand.

This comment is absolutely correct. I’m a “millennial” who just turned 30 and I would never consider purchasing a code at it’s current retail range. As you stated the code just doesn’t have enough AP DNA to get me excited, it’s almost unrecognizable. Who wants a generic watch for bordering on 30k? The code line should be stainless and marketed as an entry into the AP brand. It should also be priced below the stainless RO line somewhere around 10k. Young professionals who want something more unique than a Rolex would gain interest in AP and establish a purchase history (win-win). I’m convinced this is the direction they will take with the code line in the next few years.
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 01:05 AM   #19
Henlo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post
This comment is absolutely correct. I’m a “millennial” who just turned 30 and I would never consider purchasing a code at it’s current retail range. As you stated the code just doesn’t have enough AP DNA to get me excited, it’s almost unrecognizable. Who wants a generic watch for bordering on 30k? The code line should be stainless and marketed as an entry into the AP brand. It should also be priced below the stainless RO line somewhere around 10k. Young professionals who want something more unique than a Rolex would gain interest in AP and establish a purchase history (win-win). I’m convinced this is the direction they will take with the code line in the next few years.
I am millennial too and gave the Code line a chance by having a look at it in person. Unfortunately the watch is even worse in person imho.

Very nice movements but the watch is too thick with a fugly dial in addition to the very high price point. Nowhere near the elegance of a 15202ST. Maybe AP has forgotten how to design a watch from scratch because they always worked on Royal Oak variants in the last 50 years...

I guess it is designed for the sons of super rich with way more money than taste and not for the peasants.
Henlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 01:54 AM   #20
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg6067 View Post

I don’t believe they will. Nothing to do with the code range per say, but why use up one of your precious ~40,000 manufacturing slots on a low revenue watch when they can make + sell all the blockbusters they can.

They don’t have any need to drive down their entrance point.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 02:05 AM   #21
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub

Here is the new one

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 05:58 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Call it Code 2020 and dump it like we all will with this useless year.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 07:11 AM   #23
NotRichardMille
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Looks like a heavily overpriced Michael Kors watch. The kind of watch they sell on airplanes.
NotRichardMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 08:27 AM   #24
rodo
"TRF" Member

Fossil
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:25 AM   #25
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Really feels like AP is trying to throw the R&D costs of their new movements at us with the code 11.59. The line would not be criticized nearly as much if it were priced as an entry level collection like the Calatrava for Patek imo.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 02:05 PM   #26
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Here is the new one

They really have to drop the fonts they are using for the numbering. It just looks weird and doesn’t fit with the brand.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 03:27 PM   #27
Codik
"TRF" Member

What is supposed to attract millennials with this watch? Cheap and ugly, yet costs more than a basic car? I can picture the contempt from where I’m standing.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 05:14 PM   #28
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicator View Post
They really have to drop the fonts they are using for the numbering. It just looks weird and doesn’t fit with the brand.
Agreed. There are a number of design missteps with this line, but the most glaring to me is the choice of font
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 07:25 PM   #29
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicator View Post
As much as I want to support AP, my favourite brand, and say positive things, I continue to see nothing positive in this at all.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:09 PM   #30
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotRichardMille View Post
Looks like a heavily overpriced Michael Kors watch. The kind of watch they sell on airplanes.

Sorry , no offence but it’s Daniel Wellington.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote