The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 June 2020, 09:22 PM   #31
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
The SA told me they will have some new novelties for the 11.59 later this year, which will be more exciting. Told me to think of the current line as a conservative “A” series...
You know its bad when they train their SA’s to make excuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would anyone waste their time going to a boutique to try on a watch that they don’t like and engage in conversation with the SA just to waste even more of their time creating an internet post to tell everyone how much they dislike the watch? Pointless IMO.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:37 PM   #32
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicator View Post
They really have to drop the fonts they are using for the numbering. It just looks weird and doesn’t fit with the brand.
Did they just decided to rip the dial of a Moser Pioneer and pray that it sells. The Code has a lot of potential, I like the case but everything else is so purely executed in terms of aesthetic.
Old 14 June 2020, 09:40 PM   #33
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Why would anyone waste their time going to a boutique to try on a watch that they don’t like and engage in conversation with the SA just to waste even more of their time creating an internet post to tell everyone how much they dislike the watch? Pointless IMO.

Its a watch discussion forum. That what we do, we discuss watches.
You are right, massive wast of time trying on the Code 11.59. Even bigger waste of time reply to your post. But eh, i got time...
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:49 PM   #34
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I actually had a different experience.

I had walked into the Beverley Hills looking for royal oaks; had the Code 11:59 on my wrist for about 45 mins there while talking to the SAs. I really like it - yes the dial could be improved to be like the Aventurine one or the openworked one (like the perpetual calendar), but everything else is top notch.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:49 PM   #35
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Last time I checked this was a Audemars Piguet discussion forum...

Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 09:51 PM   #36
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
Even bigger waste of time reply to your post. But eh, i got time...
.....evidently.

Old 14 June 2020, 09:58 PM   #37
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A complete miss by the brand but they are in deep so what do you do. Sit, wait, discount.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2020, 10:04 PM   #38
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

AP needs to break out of the RO with successful alternatives. As posted numerous times, how many iterations of the RO can they come up with? It's become a one-trick pony.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 10:47 AM   #39
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
AP needs to break out of the RO with successful alternatives. As posted numerous times, how many iterations of the RO can they come up with? It's become a one-trick pony.
It comes down to innovation and design. Unfortunately they havent meaningfully developed a new hit design for a watch outside of the royal oak. I mean the royal oak has been improved. Some cool variants have come out with the diver, fc, chronos etc.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 11:09 PM   #40
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
They have been riding the coat tails of the Royal Oak for about 45 years and this is the best they can do? JLC Polaris is much nicer looking for a lot less moolah.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 11:17 PM   #41
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
They have been riding the coat tails of the Royal Oak for about 45 years and this is the best they can do? JLC Polaris is much nicer looking for a lot less moolah.

I really wish next time they introduce a new model or concept that they include a clue in the design that makes it obvious that it’s an AP. How about the tapisserie dial, bezel shape from RO or the bezel screws?

When I go to YouTube I keep getting commercials for “Vincero” and there’s really not much separating the design of that and the code 11:59 at first glimpse. With the new caliber movement, it’s a bit like putting a Ferrari engine in a Hyundai and still calling it a Ferrari.

Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 02:05 AM   #42
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Saw a photo on Hodinkee for the 'hobnail' 5271BC. Wonder how the Code dial might have looked drawing more from that as an inspiration which would keep some design continuity of the tapissere dial.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 07:36 AM   #43
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm really assuming he went there for another reason but tried it on because he was already in the shop
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 08:11 AM   #44
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I'm really assuming he went there for another reason but tried it on because he was already in the shop

Ok but the thing is there are people on this forum who have complained about being treated badly by sales people in AP boutiques saying that it’s a disgrace that they’re not taken seriously and that they were badly treated.

Take a look at it from the SA POV (if you think that none of them read the forums then you’re probably not that smart), a guy walks in and asks to try on a Code, he makes all the right comments and asks to photograph the watch on his wrist and then later the SA reads on the forum that the guy he/she served actually thought that the watch was so cr*p that it deserved a brand new thread online all about it so that he can list everything negative that he can think of. It’s totally unnecessary. All I can say to the OP is good luck trying to get a hot AP in future.

Old 18 June 2020, 08:22 AM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok but the thing is there are people on this forum who have complained about being treated badly by sales people in AP boutiques saying that it’s a disgrace that they’re not taken seriously and that they were badly treated.

Take a look at it from the SA POV (if you think that none of them read the forums then you’re probably not that smart), a guy walks in and asks to try on a Code, he makes all the right comments and asks to photograph the watch on his wrist and then later the SA reads on the forum that the guy he/she served actually thought that the watch was so cr*p that it deserved a brand new thread online all about it so that he can list everything negative that he can think of. It’s totally unnecessary. All I can say to the OP is good luck trying to get a hot AP in future.

you might have a point. But I don't feel as strongly about it as you do.

But in regards to OP I tried the code on when I bought my first AP 6 months ago and I actually liked it -especially in person and on the wrist it looks much better and wears nice. But like many here said there is just too much competition in this price range. AP alone offers a few ROOs and the diver that I like better.
Old 18 June 2020, 08:29 AM   #46
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
The new “Code” line is total bs.. They should have produce more 15202 or 15407 instead to make more money. We are in 2020 and those Swiss watch makers still suppose that we should believe manufacturing scarcity exists by forcing watch people to buy their ugly & unsuccesful designs. They ask 25k for such a simple watch like 15202 and its all the time unavailable, but when you ask for it to the sa at AP boutique they immediately show you the 11.59 . Big disappoinment for AP.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 08:42 AM   #47
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
The new “Code” line is total bs.. They should have produce more 15202 or 15407 instead to make more money. We are in 2020 and those Swiss watch makers still suppose that we should believe manufacturing scarcity exists by forcing watch people to buy their ugly & unsuccesful designs. They ask 25k for such a simple watch like 15202 and its all the time unavailable, but when you ask for it to the sa at AP boutique they immediately show you the 11.59 . Big disappoinment for AP.
they artificially create scarcity so that value and demand stays high and watches remain desirable. If they would produce too many 15202s then it would become a Moonwatch that's too easy to get and hurts secondary market values. Who wants to be the next Longines, Panerai or IWC?
I understand why people get annoyed but it makes a lot of sense.
Old 18 June 2020, 08:45 AM   #48
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
I'd buy the russia edition if its ever accessible in the used market otherwise it's a wash
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 09:24 AM   #49
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
I'd buy the russia edition if its ever accessible in the used market otherwise it's a wash
really it doesn't look good on pics at all. maybe have to search for a video that looks closer to reality.
Old 18 June 2020, 10:26 AM   #50
Jaguar Aficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I am not a fan either. Looks forced and like other say does not have any AP DNA
Jaguar Aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 02:14 PM   #51
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS

I’ve seen most of the models. The white dial was the only one i liked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 07:52 AM   #52
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppersouth View Post

I’ve seen most of the models. The white dial was the only one i liked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right, white dial looks better than others dial.

The position of date window looks odd to me.

AP might have sell this model bundle with RO hot models to the gray dealers.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 08:43 AM   #53
phow
"TRF" Member

Here is my opinion... I think AP did a lot right with the new Code. I personally think the case is pretty f'n cool and unique.

Where I think it fails is the dial. The dial makes the piece look like it could be a smartwatch at first glance lol. I think the font used on the numerals is way too modern/digital. If AP would have done the RO tapisserie dial with some slight changes for the Code, it would have carried the AP DNA into this new line and would have gotten more positive responses.

When I look at the Tourbillon Openworked 26600OR, I actually think the watch is quite stunning. But when I look at any of the other references with the current dial design, I have a very opposite reaction. That tells me 90% of the problem is the dial.

But as others have already pointed out, there is a lot of competition in this segment and I can think of a dozen other watches I would rather have. I really hope that AP makes some changes to the Code model line because I really want to like it.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 09:08 AM   #54
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I think the Code 11 is not that bad. In fact I think with the right materials, it can be a fairly good alternative to the RO. The problem right now is the material and price I guess. Since its only available in Gold, the price is high compared to say a Royal Oak, which already dissects potential buyers. The market is moving towards more casual, sportier, and dynamic watches. This trend was already here 3 years ago, but now with even more work from home arrangements etc the demand will only increase for "sporty" watches. And the Code 11 is actually quite sporty, but they sort of backed out abit by making it in gold and adding a leather strap.

If they released say a Titanium/Steel Code 11 with an interesting dial maybe with tappiserie or gradation, that would sell. Or a full ceramic skeleton Code 11? SS perpetual Code 11? etc These would all be big hits.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 10:05 AM   #55
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Sadly, AP has been overproducing by ~20-25%. I'm not sure why they're not realizing that they need to double down on their primary sellers. The CODE 11.59 stuff could/should be targeting a different part of the market, and they should test the waters.

Forcing people to buy 11.59's in order to "qualify" for the watches they really want will do nothing more but depress 11.59 values.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 10:10 AM   #56
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I can never get a good photo - I give up - so I’ll let the watch and money do the talking.

Love it.

Old 19 June 2020, 10:34 AM   #57
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
I'd buy so many other watches before considering a Code. A total failure by AP IMHO.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 12:05 PM   #58
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I can never get a good photo - I give up - so I’ll let the watch and money do the talking.

Love it.

This just made the code 11:59 looks worse.

—————

To OP;

Few references of the code are really cool perpetual and skeleton minute repeater just so damn tempting. The others range from bad to okay (date only really bad - chrono okay).

The case design and finishing is absolutely amazing, the movement is very very well finished.

They only thing they need to fix is the cosmetic design on the dial and it’ll be one that moved from being hated to sought after. I think

Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 12:08 PM   #59
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
Here is my opinion... I think AP did a lot right with the new Code. I personally think the case is pretty f'n cool and unique.

Where I think it fails is the dial. The dial makes the piece look like it could be a smartwatch at first glance lol. I think the font used on the numerals is way too modern/digital. If AP would have done the RO tapisserie dial with some slight changes for the Code, it would have carried the AP DNA into this new line and would have gotten more positive responses.

When I look at the Tourbillon Openworked 26600OR, I actually think the watch is quite stunning. But when I look at any of the other references with the current dial design, I have a very opposite reaction. That tells me 90% of the problem is the dial.

But as others have already pointed out, there is a lot of competition in this segment and I can think of a dozen other watches I would rather have. I really hope that AP makes some changes to the Code model line because I really want to like it.

Just the right post. I replied after reading your post, it wouldn’t have been necessary, as this post sums it up

Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 12:30 PM   #60
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

As I said, the Code 1159 is the worst thing EVER to photograph. I like the watch in person. So all the Instagram band wagoners really do not have a true perspective of the watch. In the end I love the watch and comfortable with my choice. I would say that most Code owners are of like mind.

Is this a watch that should trade at retail? Perhaps not- however the same could be said of 80% of watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
This just made the code 11:59 looks worse.

—————

To OP;

Few references of the code are really cool perpetual and skeleton minute repeater just so damn tempting. The others range from bad to okay (date only really bad - chrono okay).

The case design and finishing is absolutely amazing, the movement is very very well finished.

They only thing they need to fix is the cosmetic design on the dial and it’ll be one that moved from being hated to sought after. I think