The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2020, 03:00 AM   #1
dauster
"TRF" Member

New chrono models with in-house movement and open case back

Can anybody confirm the release of new chrono models with in-house movement and open case back? The Vegas boutique mentioned it to me around X-mas but did not specify a date 6 months ago.

Really like the Chrono models but the closed case back and the expectation that new models will be released soon has made me wait and I have been holding off on pulling the trigger.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 03:01 AM   #2
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

I’m also waiting for this, but no one confirm anything yet
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 03:08 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwizzzuuu View Post
I’m also waiting for this, but no one confirm anything yet
maybe I am making this up but I seem to remember that somebody mentioned they will just use the new Code movements for this... seems like an obvious move on AP's part not sure why they would hesitate.
Old 25 June 2020, 04:59 AM   #4
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I am also waiting on this. It would sway me and I would want one.
Old 25 June 2020, 06:58 AM   #5
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Can anybody confirm the release of new chrono models with in-house movement and open case back? The Vegas boutique mentioned it to me around X-mas but did not specify a date 6 months ago.

Really like the Chrono models but the closed case back and the expectation that new models will be released soon has made me wait and I have been holding off on pulling the trigger.
Wow... For some reason, I assumed this already happened (probably because of the 15500)... I was considering a 26331ST as a good next purchase but had no idea the new in-house movement and sapphire crystal caseback had not made it to the RO chrono models...

I too shall be waiting
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 01:29 PM   #6
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

For those of us who loves the code 11:59 caliber 4401 - I would say if you really like the caliber and want the best of both worlds it’s not gonna happen. Either enjoy the royal oak chrono as-is or get on the code to enjoy the in house movement. I hope I’m wrong and the 4401 will see it’s way into the 26331 & 26315 cases very soon.
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

That new RO Chrono has been discussed forever and release dates started some years ago. :)
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 08:11 PM   #8
drhk
"TRF" Member

The new calibers, however, have been designed for higher volume production and easier maintenance. That's why they have an increased height. All that would not make much sense if they were finally only put into the Code models.
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 12:41 AM   #9
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchristic View Post
For those of us who loves the code 11:59 caliber 4401 - I would say if you really like the caliber and want the best of both worlds it’s not gonna happen. Either enjoy the royal oak chrono as-is or get on the code to enjoy the in house movement. I hope I’m wrong and the 4401 will see it’s way into the 26331 & 26315 cases very soon.
I'm curious as to why you feel this is the situation? I personally don't see the 4401 making its way into the RO Chrono as being that big of a leap. But I may be missing something.

I'm not a CODE customer and won't purchase the RO Chrono with the current movement so I'm happy to just standby and if it happens great, if not, that's fine too

Plenty of amazing Chrono's on the market to lust after.
Old 26 June 2020, 02:04 AM   #10
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
I'm curious as to why you feel this is the situation? I personally don't see the 4401 making its way into the RO Chrono as being that big of a leap. But I may be missing something.

I'm not a CODE customer and won't purchase the RO Chrono with the current movement so I'm happy to just standby and if it happens great, if not, that's fine too

Maybe the thickness of the current ROC vs the Code chrono? ROC is 11mm while Code is 12.6mm. While still not thick, RO’s have been relatively thin watches. That’s just my guess.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 02:36 AM   #11
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Maybe the thickness of the current ROC vs the Code chrono? ROC is 11mm while Code is 12.6mm. While still not thick, RO’s have been relatively thin watches. That’s just my guess.
Ah... That makes sense but I doubt that will keep AP from moving the RO Chrono to an in-house movement. It may not be the 4401 but it will likely be something in-house. I can hope/wait :P
Old 26 June 2020, 05:27 AM   #12
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Code movement plus sapphire case back = too thick for Roc.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 05:32 AM   #13
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Ah... That makes sense but I doubt that will keep AP from moving the RO Chrono to an in-house movement. It may not be the 4401 but it will likely be something in-house. I can hope/wait :P
Well I don't think AP wants to develop another separate in-house chrono movement when they already have one. Maybe they're going to let the Code sell for a few years while at the same time working on thinning out the movement.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 06:10 AM   #14
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Well I don't think AP wants to develop another separate in-house chrono movement when they already have one. Maybe they're going to let the Code sell for a few years while at the same time working on thinning out the movement.
I honestly don't think they have much choice. I don't think it will happen tomorrow, but I would bet it happens within the next few years.

I get the allure of the RO but the ROC is simply behind the competition. For example, I would take a VC OS Chrono over the current ROC. However, once the ROC goes in-house with their movement, it would be a different story.

As far as the 1.6MM difference between the CODE and ROC, there seems to be a decent amount of more unused space between the dial and top of the bezel on the CODE compared to the ROC. I think AP can find that 1.6MM somewhere.
Old 26 June 2020, 07:57 AM   #15
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t have an answer. But I asked and was told nothing planned on this front at least for the foreseeable future. The F. Piguet movement is great too and have survived the test of time.

Once your 15500 buzz fades out you will be lusting after another ap and the chrono is a relatively good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 08:20 AM   #16
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I honestly don't think they have much choice. I don't think it will happen tomorrow, but I would bet it happens within the next few years.

I get the allure of the RO but the ROC is simply behind the competition. For example, I would take a VC OS Chrono over the current ROC. However, once the ROC goes in-house with their movement, it would be a different story.

As far as the 1.6MM difference between the CODE and ROC, there seems to be a decent amount of more unused space between the dial and top of the bezel on the CODE compared to the ROC. I think AP can find that 1.6MM somewhere.
What, specifically, is it about the new VC movement that you think makes it a better movement than the F Piguet? Forget what is in-house or not in-house, what is it about the new VC movement that is superior? I mean I would rather have a PP 5070 than a 5170 despite it not being in-house. In-house =/= better.
Old 26 June 2020, 08:36 AM   #17
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
What, specifically, is it about the new VC movement that you think makes it a better movement than the F Piguet? Forget what is in-house or not in-house, what is it about the new VC movement that is superior? I mean I would rather have a PP 5070 than a 5170 despite it not being in-house. In-house =/= better.
I never said one was better than the other. It’s a simple preference on my end that I don’t like the idea of buying a timepiece at this price point with a movement that is not in-house. I really don’t care if the risen Christ built the movement himself, I want an AP movement in an AP watch.

^ I’m not saying this is an objective or logical point. I just don’t like the idea of it and would rather purchase a Chrono from a manufacturer that developed their own movement regardless if it’s objectively better or not.
Old 26 June 2020, 10:44 AM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really don’t care if the risen Christ built the movement himself, I want an AP movement in an AP watch.
and there goes my keyboard ... literally spit out my coffee reading this... love it
Old 27 June 2020, 07:44 AM   #19
roxobox
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They would have already if they could. Chronos are very complex movements to make even more so than one would think.

The current in-house movement in a ROC case would be like 13-14mm thick which is offshore territory. The ROC at 11mm currently is pretty much the limit (or should be) in the spirit of what the royal oak was meant to be (a rather thin watch).

Anyways, I don’t see the current in-house movement being deployed into re-cased royal oaks anytime soon.

When they do expect a real hefty price increase as well as probably precious metal releases first.

The original ROC’s (current gen) May even go up in value.

And as someone pointed out here, in-house movement != better necessarily.
roxobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:17 PM   #20
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxobox View Post
The current in-house movement in a ROC case would be like 13-14mm thick which is offshore territory. The ROC at 11mm currently is pretty much the limit (or should be) in the spirit of what the royal oak was meant to be (a rather thin watch).
The F Piguet 1185 is 5.55mm in height whereas I believe the new AP 4401 is 6.8mm. So "only" a 1.25mm difference.

Over the past 10 years, AP has deviated significantly from the proportions of original 39mm ROC, with the release of the 41mm and 38mm models. So I think it is feasible we will see the 4401 eventually make its way into the ROC.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 07:20 PM   #21
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Current 26331 with FP movement works great. Thickness is right, movement is durable, close case with Royal Oak writing looks old school. Only minus is the date window.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 09:30 PM   #22
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-nuff View Post
The F Piguet 1185 is 5.55mm in height whereas I believe the new AP 4401 is 6.8mm. So "only" a 1.25mm difference.

Over the past 10 years, AP has deviated significantly from the proportions of original 39mm ROC, with the release of the 41mm and 38mm models. So I think it is feasible we will see the 4401 eventually make its way into the ROC.
I think in the wrist watch world and especially in the Royal Oak line, even 0.25mm thickness makes a big difference in comfort and wearability. So a new ROC, 1mm thicker with an in-house movement and open caseback will be a big NO for me. I reather keep my old 26320ST then ;-)

tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 01:57 AM   #23
gsg
"TRF" Member

That looks perfect! I also think the 41mm chrono is were AP trully managed to keep the traditionally slimmer RO proportions while fitting a chrono movement. Both the new 38mm and old 39mm chronos seem to have blockier profiles relative to the 41mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcheeco View Post
I think in the wrist watch world and especially in the Royal Oak line, even 0.25mm thickness makes a big difference in comfort and wearability. So a new ROC, 1mm thicker with an in-house movement and open caseback will be a big NO for me. I reather keep my old 26320ST then ;-)

gsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2020, 11:38 PM   #24
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxobox View Post
They would have already if they could. Chronos are very complex movements to make even more so than one would think.

Anyways, I don’t see the current in-house movement being deployed into re-cased royal oaks anytime soon.

When they do expect a real hefty price increase as well as probably precious metal releases first.

The original ROC’s (current gen) May even go up in value.

And as someone pointed out here, in-house movement != better necessarily.
I’m probably missing something but I just don’t see a 2-3mm increase in thickness being likely if the movement was brought to the ROC. After looking at the CODE, there is a lot of unused space especially in the inner bezel.

Given the amount of time and money spent to develop an in-house movement, I find it to be a highly unusual business practice not to plan for that movement to be used in other models that are proven to be good sellers with the CODE being a bit of an unknown for AP.

And while I have already agreed that in-house does not necessarily mean it is objectively better, I personally refuse to spend 20k+ on a watch that doesn’t utilize an in-house movement. I know not everyone shares that feeling but many buyers do feel this way. If this wasn’t the case, most brands wouldn’t spend the time and money developing them.
Old 14 July 2020, 01:25 AM   #25
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcheeco View Post

Beautiful
Old 21 August 2020, 04:03 PM   #26
Maverick82
"TRF" Member

I’m also considering the purchase the panda ROC but am disappointed it doesn’t have the exhibition case back and increases power reserve of the 15500.

I’m deciding if to put the order in or hold out, what are the chances AP updates the movement in the next 12-24months ?
Maverick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 09:52 PM   #27
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

While I think all of us would universally prefer one, I am not sure it should change plans to purchase the current one now. It has a long track history of reliability. Fit is also so important in RO purchase and 1mm of extra thickness can drastically change that.
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 05:02 AM   #28
Dmnyc
"TRF" Member

I don’t really mind the lack of exhibition case back
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C1F729D2-76E4-48AC-A6F5-1D3631E6A050.jpeg (79.8 KB, 722 views)
Dmnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 05:13 AM   #29
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick82 View Post
I’m also considering the purchase the panda ROC but am disappointed it doesn’t have the exhibition case back and increases power reserve of the 15500.

I’m deciding if to put the order in or hold out, what are the chances AP updates the movement in the next 12-24months ?
People have been waiting for the new movement now for probably a decade. There are countless threads asking this very same question, going back at least 5 years. No one knows. If you like it, buy it. Chances are the movement in there now is going to be better and more reliable than any new movement AP comes out with.
Old 22 August 2020, 08:15 AM   #30
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Isn’t that what happened with the Rolex Daytona’s? I could be wrong but I believe the general consensus is that the older Zenith movement is prized over the new in-house movement.

When the ROC is as perfect as it is, it’s more than enough watch already! It’s like holding out for the next 911. Porsche will always improve it on paper but certain things also get lost along the way (natural aspiration, hydraulic steering, air cooling, light weight, compact size).

Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote