The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2019, 02:14 PM   #151
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
For all those compare these watches to cars, how about a more similar item like jewelry.

Do you worry about scratching your wedding ring or any other rings you might wear (or necklace, bracelet, etc...) by putting protective film on them? I think the answer is no. That doesn’t mean you’re not careful but it’s also understood that anything you wear on your body day in, day out is going to get scratched. Why is a watch any different?

FWIW, comparing a Rolex to the car equivalent of a Ferrari or Lamborghini to make your point is ridiculous. At best a Rolex would be the car equivalent of a Mercedes...well made, luxury car that covers several body styles, and readily available.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 08:04 PM   #152
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Protecting Buckle from Scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I am worried about my rubber band on my Aquanaut. Will one of those stickers protect it?

Remove the stickers and save them as they’re far more valuable than the rubber strap which can be easily replaced. The stickers are designed, produced and hall marked in Switzerland making counterfeits near impossible.
Old 19 November 2019, 10:03 PM   #153
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

Protecting Buckle from Scratches

Reading threads like this makes me wonder how much people actually are able to enjoy their watches when constantly in fear of scratching them. I understand they aren’t cheap by any means but wearing a piece of polished jewelry (despite the watch being a tool, I absolutely consider the bracelet to be jewelry) on a body part that is constantly in contact with things over the course of a day will invite scratches no matter how careful you are.

My 7 year old 116610LN and my 5 year old 116509 both look like they have been hit in every possible direction with 1000 grit sandpaper. I embrace the scratches as they demonstrate that I’m wearing the watch and enjoying it the way Rolex intended.

The Sub hasn’t been polished since it went back for recalibration 5 years ago and the pictures Daytona came back from service and repolishing 2 months ago and looked brand new upon return. My 116610LN will go in for service soon with instructions to leave the case and bracelet in their current condition.

Above is my 116613LB that was picked up from the AD brand new 8 days ago.

My wrist awareness is absolutely atrocious and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If I spent my day worrying about how to avoid scratching my watches, I would just wear a Casio. To each their own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2019, 11:49 PM   #154
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Reading threads like this makes me wonder how much people actually are able to enjoy their watches when constantly in fear of scratching them. I understand they aren’t cheap by any means but wearing a piece of polished jewelry (despite the watch being a tool, I absolutely consider the bracelet to be jewelry) on a body part that is constantly in contact with things over the course of a day will invite scratches no matter how careful you are.

My 7 year old 116610LN and my 5 year old 116509 both look like they have been hit in every possible direction with 1000 grit sandpaper. I embrace the scratches as they demonstrate that I’m wearing the watch and enjoying it the way Rolex intended.

The Sub hasn’t been polished since it went back for recalibration 5 years ago and the pictures Daytona came back from service and repolishing 2 months ago and looked brand new upon return. My 116610LN will go in for service soon with instructions to leave the case and bracelet in their current condition.

Above is my 116613LB that was picked up from the AD brand new 8 days ago.

My wrist awareness is absolutely atrocious and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If I spent my day worrying about how to avoid scratching my watches, I would just wear a Casio. To each their own though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reading your post has brought tears to me...........of great joy!
Awesome!
Old 20 November 2019, 01:42 AM   #155
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Long Sleeve when you are in office.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 02:23 AM   #156
mendoncam
"TRF" Member

just remove the buckle

/s
mendoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2019, 04:47 AM   #157
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

These posts are always funny because there are no right or wrong answers.

Some want to protect their watch while some don't worry and love scrapes, dings, and scars.

To each their own. Do what you want with your watch.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 03:03 AM   #158
R@lex
"TRF" Member

Watch: dd40 228235
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Practice wrist awareness.

Im not obsessed with scratches when they happen but I also do make it a point to be somewhat careful with nice things that are important to me.

Heres the clasp of my 114060 after wearing in rotation for about a year and a half.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I am exactly like this and all my watches look pristine!
Old 21 November 2019, 04:09 AM   #159
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Here are my thoughts, if you have never wore a watch, you will ding it up! Because never had anything on your wrist.
People that have worn watches know, and we learn to be more careful, but still we ding them...
You will learn to be more careful as time passes and during that time, just enjoy that beautiful Rolex on your wrist...i know i do.

Wear long sleeve shirts, the sleeve help protect it, plus you will take notice you have a watch on as time passes and you are actually enjoying and staring at it.

eEnjoy!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 05:01 AM   #160
Adirondoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak 16315
Some people will go to great lengths to avoid scratches. I think the solutions often appear worse than the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper_badger_disaster_mslk.jpg (107.3 KB, 134 views)
Adirondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 05:50 AM   #161
trematix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Dont know why people get so worked up because someone else wants to protect their stuff. It's all personal preference. To each their own. Personally, I baby my rolexes which is why they are all still in pristine condition, basically brand new. I'm sure when I get the itch for something else and I need to sell to fund it, the new owner will appreciate it.
trematix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 06:38 AM   #162
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 07:03 AM   #163
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
These posts are always funny because there are no right or wrong answers.

Some want to protect their watch while some don't worry and love scrapes, dings, and scars.

To each their own. Do what you want with your watch.
100%. Different people have different value systems. I don't want to impose mine (other than honesty) on anyone and value the differences.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 07:19 AM   #164
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Wearing my ORIS today. It has been on my wrist 75% of the time the past 4.5 yrs. It’s a desk diver M-F & normal wear and tear on weekend. I take care of my watches but I don’t let every tiny scratch bother me. Especially on the clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 11:52 AM   #165
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
116719, Loved.
Old 21 November 2019, 11:58 AM   #166
M45
Banned

ED169321-F2C5-49FE-81EF-8128C45F583B.jpeg

Yeah...