The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2009, 08:31 AM   #1
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch help !

I really don't know anything about Omega watches so don't be harsh if I say anything stupid

I want to know about the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch the one with the Sapphire Crystal see through caseback.

I saw it today at an AD and I don't know why but it just hit me. I was drooling all over it I always wanted an affordable chronograph watch with a decent quality and a bigger case ( I think it's a 42mm ). So far I've realised that the Speedmaster is a bit of a bargain ! I know that you get a lot of history but I really have no clue about Omega's reliability or quality.

Being a hardcore rolex fan I am a bit confused whenever I think about Omega's as I always thought that Omega watches are a step below rolex in terms of quality, reliability etc. ( even though I've heard that they are great timepieces ).

So what do you guys think ? Is it really worth it ?

By the way what's the retail price for one of those ?

I'll check the price tomorrow at the AD but I would like to compare the Greek price with other prices around the world.

And now some questions for the owners:

1. What is the difference between the Hezalite Moonwatch and the Sapphire Moonwatch ? Is it just the crystal and the see through caseback ? Are there any mechanical differences ?

2. Does the bracelet stretch after a long period ?

3. Is it boring to hand wind the watch every day ?

4. What about the overall quality ? Is there any value for money ?

5. How is the timekeeping ?

6. Do you consider the Speedmaster a bargain watch when compared with other chronographs in the market ?

Well I guess that's all !

Sorry for making such a long post but I am a complete Omega newbie and I would really like to learn as much as possible about this particular watch

Thanks a lot for your kind attention !

PS. I 'll be back with more questions

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2009, 09:05 AM   #2
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

I am no Omega expert, but I can answer your questions.

I own a 3570, which is a replica of the Speedmaster worn in space.

Now for the answers:

1. Hesalite, is plastic, easily get scratched, but could get buffed easily. No problem there. Sapphire breaks. And, in this case, is used either as the crystal and case back. Hence, it's called "Sandwich," a.k.a. 3573; and, the discontinued version 3572.

Movement: on 3570 (Hesalite crystal) is caliber1861. Movement on the 3573 (Sandwich) is 1863. Since the movement is "sandwiched" with sapphire, you actually see the movement. And, it's gorgeous.

2. I have seen a lot of Speedmaster bracelets with no stretch at all. I haven't seen symptoms of stretching on my Speedmaster bracelet and I used to have a couple before.

3. It's not boring to wound a handwound watch. It's exciting.

4. Overall quality is excellent. Movement is coated with rhodium, and is one of the best movement in horology.

5. Timekeeping varies. Other owners have reported plus or minus 1 second. Mine was +19 seconds. I had it regulated. And, is now +7 seconds. No big deal for me.

6. For the money, it is a bargain. Absolute best bang for the buck!

I hope I have answered all your questions. Wait for the Omega experts to chime in.

Cheers.

Louie
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Thanks a lot for answering all my questions

I really appreciate it

But now I've come up with another question

What's the difference between the 1861 and the 1863 movement ?

Old 12 March 2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I don't own a Speedmaster Professional, and so I can only repeat what I have learned here and on other sites:

1. The original had a hesalite lens, and the hesalite has the advantages of lower weight, allegedly greater resistance to impact (I doubt this one), historical correctness, and repairability; the models that have a see-through back have a sapphire crystal front and back; and, the movement installed in the see-through case receives extra polishing for aesthetic reasons.

2. I've never heard anyone say anything about the bracelet except to describe it as the most comfortable all-metal bracelet currently offered by watch manufacturers in this class.

3. I hand-wind my grandfathers Hamilton 992B Railway Special and I find it extremely satisfying to do so; and, by virtue of the non-automatic nature of the SMP, it does not have a rotor to obscure the view of the movement through the case back.

4. Some reviewers describe some Omegas as superior to Rolex, and others say just the opposite; Rolex makes its own movements and Omega receives most of its movements from ETA (as do most of the high end manufacturers); and, however, Omega has recently started to manufacture its own movements.

5. My better watches keep time in accordance with their last service, meaning, the adjustments made during service seem to matter more than the brand of the watch.

6. The SMP represents, in my mind, one of the two best values in the watch world, with the other place held by the Rolex Sub No-Date Non-COSC (hard to choose between the two).

=====

Frostie didn't ask this one, but...

7. I have the impression from my time on these forums that one can get a Rolex serviced easier and in a more timely manner than an Omega.

As for cost of service, my Rolex has cost a little less than $400 for two of its three services, and over $700 for the most recent and most restorative service.

I've gotten my Rolex back within 10 days all three times.

I don't have any money or time figures for an Omega service.
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2009, 09:32 AM   #5
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Service timelines vary from country to country

Here in Greece a typical rolex service can take 1-2 months depending on how busy they are at the official RSC

I know a couple of people that sent their rolexes for a service and they received their watches after 1 1/2 month

However what I really like about the Speedmaster Professional is that it has a simplistic look and a bigger case.

What about water resistance ?

I know that it's watertight up to 50 meters but is this enough ?

Old 12 March 2009, 11:11 AM   #6
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
What's the difference between the 1861 and the 1863 movement ?
Both movements are rhodium plated but the 1863 has the upgraded "geneva waves" and a steel chrono brake. The 1863 is dressed up for the display back.

The MSRP for the 3573.50 is US$4350.

My AD sells at a substantial discount and ships internationally. PM me if you would like his contact info.

I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros over the years including the sapphire/sapphire model and much prefer the hesalite/sapphire 3572.50 model that was discontinued with the introduction of the 3573.50. Nice pre-owned 3572.50s can be purchased LNIB for around $1800-$2000.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2009, 11:18 AM   #7
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
Both movements are rhodium plated but the 1863 has the upgraded "geneva waves" and a steel chrono brake. The 1863 is dressed up for the display back.

The MSRP for the 3573.50 is US$4350.

My AD sells at a substantial discount and ships internationally. PM me if you would like his contact info.

I've owned a couple of dozen Speedy Pros over the years including the sapphire/sapphire model and much prefer the hesalite/sapphire 3572.50 model that was discontinued with the introduction of the 3573.50. Nice pre-owned 3572.50s can be purchased LNIB for around $1800-$2000.

Fr. John†
Thanks a lot for your help but I am still undecided

Since you've owned lots of speedy Pros what's your opinion when it comes to watertightness ?

Old 12 March 2009, 11:28 AM   #8
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Thanks a lot for your help but I am still undecided

Since you've owned lots of speedy Pros what's your opinion when it comes to watertightness ?
I've never had any problem but I would not dive or swim with it although I know of several who do swim with theirs. I regularly wash mine under running tap water with no adverse effects. Mine is a vintage and was originally rated to 30m while current models are 50m.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Frostie,

How you doing?

I bought a 3573.50 for my son Ashley's 18th birthday last year. I bought it from the States LNIB for about 50% of the current new price. As Fr.John has said it has he *delrin brake instead of the steel brake. The steel brake causes more wear but I don't think Omega wanted the buyer to see plastic bits in their watch.

*The Omega version of the Lemania is gold plated (861) or rhodium plated (1861) and the blocking lever responsible for braking the chronograph hand is molded in Delrin (polymer) the reason for this is purely functional and is not an element of economy : the brake lever came in contact with a very finely toothed wheel during operation and the Delrin piece reduce wear compared to a metal brake.

1. What is the difference between the Hezalite Moonwatch and the Sapphire Moonwatch ? Is it just the crystal and the see through caseback ? Are there any mechanical differences ?

This has been answered. Hesalite is the material that went to the moon as it is shatterproof. The sapphire crystal front and back is an improvement IMO.

2. Does the bracelet stretch after a long period ?

I think the Omega bracelet is as strong if not stronger than the Rolex bracelets.

3. Is it boring to hand wind the watch every day ?

Every second day will do and Ashley doesn't see this is an issue.

4. What about the overall quality ? Is there any value for money ?

Quality is good as is value for money.

5. How is the timekeeping ?

His one does run a bit fast - + 7-8 secs/day.

6. Do you consider the Speedmaster a bargain watch when compared with other chronographs in the market ?

They have gone up in price over the past year but if you can find a LNIB one as I did there are good prices to be found and I think they are good value for money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07815.jpg (66.0 KB, 1238 views)
File Type: jpg DelrinBrake.jpg (43.1 KB, 1237 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2009, 12:01 PM   #10
tifosi
"TRF" Member

1. What is the difference between the Hezalite Moonwatch and the Sapphire Moonwatch ? Is it just the crystal and the see through caseback ? Are there any mechanical differences ? Answered previously

2. Does the bracelet stretch after a long period ? I believe the Omega bracelet to be stronger than the Rolex Oysters
3. Is it boring to hand wind the watch every day ? I look forward to it!
4. What about the overall quality ? Is there any value for money ? I think the overall quality is great for the money
5. How is the timekeeping ? Mine runs a bit fast (+8 sec/day)but I am not a stickler for accuracy
6. Do you consider the Speedmaster a bargain watch when compared with other chronographs in the market ? Absolutely! I won't own a Daytona as long as I still have my Speedy! I think it is the perfect chronograph. My favorite watch by far!
Old 19 March 2009, 12:09 PM   #11
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Frostie...You know you want one...
Old 21 March 2009, 11:51 AM   #12
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
i have the same speedmaster you're referring to. it was my 1st omega. love it. i choice this model because of the see through case back. until today (bought in 2002), i still get a smile looking at it. even though i have many other watches....this remains a favourite.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 12:16 AM   #13
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

You should be able to get a displayback Speedy Pro for around the 1000euro mark if you persevere, Velitkso.

I can't think of a better watch for the money, not by a mile.
Old 22 March 2009, 02:27 AM   #14
rookie_lex

Watch: DJ M SS 18K ROMAN
good thing someone started this thread. I had a similar post a few weeks back. i am also looking at the speedy.

are all clear back case manual winding?

does clear back case only comes in size of 42mm ?
rookie_lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 02:58 AM   #15
rookie_lex

This watch looks hot!
Old 22 March 2009, 03:20 AM   #16
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Velitsko,

I saw some pictures yesterday of the last space walk on the current International Space Station improvments/repairs and those Speedies are still being issued worn by the Nasa and Russian astronauts today. Remember this watch won out over the Daytona in Nasa's tests.

I have one Omega and I was very surprised with the quality - frankly it is excellent. The bracelets are solid steel and I've never seen one stretch. They are also very comfortable. My Omega GMT gets most of my wrist time.

If you choose the acrylic crystal it is easy kept stratch free with Poly Watch. NASA originally chose this because they did not want shappire shattering in space.

There is a Greek Omega fan on this board - El Piloto, and he may be able to give you a wealth of information.

Personally, I would rather have a Speedie than a Daytona beause of the amazing history of the watch and I think it looks better.

For value for money you just can't beat Omega. Omega are fixing this by driving their prices higher (unfortunately)

I'll leave this to the experts but I don't think the manual wind is COSC and it may not be as accurate as your GMT. It's alway fun to wind a watch each day. It adds to the enjoyment of owning a mechanical.

Don't pay full price. At least in the US you can find discounts of up to near 30 percent. Even if you can't get this locally, you should get a good discount.

Omega service is notoriously slow, but I don't know about in Greece. El Piloto will know.

If you get one I will be very envious.

Chuck Maddox was a Speedie expert, who unfortanately died lat year. Here is his site.

http://www.chronomaddox.com/

The Omega forum on timezone is another place to get good information.

Good luck,

Gary

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2009, 03:34 AM   #17
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie_lex View Post
good thing someone started this thread. I had a similar post a few weeks back. i am also looking at the speedy.

are all clear back case manual winding?

All Speedy Pros are manual winding. The Speedy Broad Arrow has displayback models within its range and has an automatic movement.

does clear back case only comes in size of 42mm ?

Current Speedy Pros and Broad Arrows are 42mm.
Answered
Old 22 March 2009, 04:20 AM   #18
rookie_lex

Quote:

This watch looks hot!
Does speedy pro come with this dial? the more i look at it the i like.
Old 22 March 2009, 04:22 AM   #19
rookie_lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Answered
does broad arrow only comes in 44mm? the one that comes with the co-axial
Old 22 March 2009, 04:31 AM   #20
alglez
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT blue sub
Get the watch man with it's history you'll be so proud to show it.
alglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2009, 11:09 PM   #21
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Hi Frostie,
here's a couple of shots of my Speedmaster Pro, I think it's one of the most beautiful watches in the world...

Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2009, 05:09 AM   #22
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
does broad arrow only comes in 44mm? the one that comes with the co-axial
The Broad Arrow is 42mm and the Broad Arrow GMT is 44.25mm, both coaxial movements.
Old 25 March 2009, 03:42 AM   #23
drussellwilks
"TRF" Member

It's a stunning watch, and looks great, I liked the one they released with the PVD coating too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedpvd0.jpg (41.8 KB, 999 views)
drussellwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2009, 03:43 AM   #24
drussellwilks
"TRF" Member

the image is Courtesy of Heuer Boy
drussellwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 12:34 PM   #25
rwcgagno
"TRF" Member

I just got my Speed Master Pro Manual back from service - a complete overhaul - as it just stopped working. One day it just wouldn't wind - nothing. It was very odd. anyway, they kept it for 5 weeks (yes, 5 weeks), and when I got it back the second hand stuttered (as opposed to sweeping) - so needless to say I had to bring it back AGAIN. Thankfully it was under warranty. But I'm now going on a total of 7 WEEKS for a repair that should have taken about 10 days. Maybe it's just the Swatch Group folks in Toronto, Canada that are incompetent, but I think that this level of service is a joke. Why any watchmaker would allow a piece to go out the door after service with an OBVIOUS defect is beyond me. I love my watch, but the service I received was soooooo bad! In the interim, I went out and bought a Rolex Date Just.
rwcgagno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Speedy's are a great addition to anybodies watch box.

. The Lemania 1861 and th 1863 movements are identical, except the 1863 is prettied up for the display backs, and has a steel brake, rather than the Delrin (synthetic) brake, as has been said..

I wrote a short piece on the Delrin Brake a while back:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...t=Delrin+Brake

. Hesalite is just Omegas name for acrylic, the material almost all crystals were made of in the 60's when the NASA "Moon" tests were done. It's use is just a carry over from those nostalgia days. I prefer Sapphire so my Speedy is a Sapphire model.

. The bracelets are good....they are NOT stronger than the Oyster. The pins that hold the links together are half the diameter from the Oyster link screws. (see my article on sizing the Speedy Bracelet). The clasp uses a wire capture over a stainless button....you can force open a speedy bracelet at the clasp, you cannot force open a Rolex flip-lock without damage.

. Quality ??...... Omega, when they were using Lemania movements, which the Speedy has (Not an ETA), Rolex was in it's infancy and Omega would have been the "superior" time-piece. Those days are gone... Rolex has advanced to Breguet overcoils, full balance bridges, larger balance wheels, and on and on.. Omega still uses a slightly improved movement that functions very similar to the original 321 Speedy movements except for a cheaper to manufacture cam action stopwatch rather than the more complex column wheel. Omega is not the same company that it was before it's conglomeration days in the 80's and 90's.

. Manual wind is also a carry over from the early days.. It's not for everybody, but no, it does not get boring winding it every morning.

Having said all that, I would not trade any of my Omegas any more than I would trade any of my Rolexes........ They both have a rich history and stand on their own.

Check out our Reference Library....... I have a comparison of the Rolex Daytona, and the Omega Speedmaster... It might be interesting..

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=40615

Old 1 April 2009, 03:48 PM   #27
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Answered
Am not knowledgeable on Omegas/Speedmasters, .... so this is likely incredibly stupid , but why are the Speedmaster Automatic generally lower priced that the Speedmaster Professional?

Is it the movement? Automatic movement, Cal. 3220 vs the 1861/1863?
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2009, 03:50 PM   #28
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
Old 1 April 2009, 03:51 PM   #29
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree, this panda face is really outstanding .
Old 4 April 2009, 12:37 AM   #30
rookie_lex

poor man's daytona? ;p