The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #91
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
If you want to go Tourbillon, get the Onyx. It’s amazing.

The onyx looks awesome. The green aventurine in photos looks nice but I wonder if it's a bit too much in person.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 04:18 AM   #92
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
You wish. I bought my Starwheel in January at 60K. Can you show me the ones for 30K?

What’s more, if you could, which you can’t, I couldn’t care less, cause I can afford it. It’s not my last money. Nore am I “investing” in watches.

Post like yours are mostly from people who can’t afford them and have never seen one, other than on their screen.

Cheers!
Gotta love all the “I can find it for half the price on the secondary market posts”. Half the time it’s the earliest model year and sometimes no boxes or complete papers.

With AP coverage, I definitely want the latest model year for the longest coverage.
PreferHackingSeconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 04:26 AM   #93
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The Code is not my style but it has done well here over the years and is a bona fide new AP sports line alongside the RO and ROO, now lets see if PP can do the same with Cubitus, already a much worse name than the Code, and I doubt it will be anything more than filler for those who cannot get a Naut/ Aqua so PP have a hard road and you PP fanboys had better wait and see if PP can match AP in a succesful new sports line, so far a bad start.
It’s funny how most people who complain about AP being a one trick pony forget that Rolex makes multiple iterations of the same watch from that one case design.

As for PP, I love it but with all the ADs getting chopped recently, lots of people are going to have to restart again. At least with AP boutique, you are a direct customer to the brand. I have a good relation with my PP AD, but he mentions that they may get the chop and advises me to wait for the perpetuals I really want, or head to AP and look for a perpetual RO.

Even if one may really dislike the Code, I personally think it’s a better buy than some of the jewellery and other watches I’ve seen ADs ask people to buy to get a Nautilus or Aquanaut.
Old 9 April 2024, 04:37 AM   #94
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Congrats! The one code that has sold above retail is indeed the Starwheel. And I would consider that one at retail , it's a cool watch and dial. All the rest have poor resale like I mentioned and have posted. You can buy a 109K retail Code PC new for 58k today if you like.
I can afford a Code and I have handled and worn them as I do attend GTG and sell friends pieces on the side as a hobby. I'm not a total Code hater. I will agree its a very comfortable watch on the wrist and a unique design. I like the midcase in contrast especially ceramic. My fault lies mostly with the dials (especially the early generations) which please let us admit were awful. The star wheel and tourbs look MUCH better imo. But on most of the better dials, the retail prices are absurd. It's a money grab on someone's "journey" to their dream RO. I'm wondering now if there will be enough of these high end desired RO's to go around for in the future for those buyers with the expansion of the Code line? Only time will tell.

58k for a 2024 Code PC? Show me where.

If codes are a money grab, what about entry level 6119s, Traditionnelle (or others that people buy to get an Overseas which trades for retail or less), Lange 1815s or Breguets?

They are all excellent and lovely watches, and if everyone was so fixated over the secondary values, I’m sure all these brands would have closed down long ago because no one would buy them new.

I honestly see a lot less Codes in the boutique on display than ROs and ROOs. It is not like AP is cutting RO production to make more Codes. If anything, the bulk of watches that come from AP are probably still steel ROs in all sizes. Just that everyone of the “watch investor” probably only wants a steel 39mm Jumbo

And if AP only made one watch, the 39mm Jumbo, can you imagine the further outrage about AP being a one trick pony?
Old 9 April 2024, 06:28 AM   #95
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I just don't understand all the AP bashing. One trick pony brand? Maybe, but there is still too much demand vs supply for the RO. Wonder why? At least they are putting in an earnest effort to diversify their line up with the CODE. I didn't like them at launch either, but the newer releases have been really good IMO. What they trade for in the secondary market doesn't make it a bad watch. A PP 5172g retails at $80k and can be had in the secondary market for $60k as an example. Does it make it a bad watch? Absolutely not! It's a lovely reference.

Why we have to call any collector AP Fanboys, Rolex Fanboys, etc.. is beyond me. We are all just collectors that like certain brands for whatever our reasons. Whether one brand is better than another is purely subjective anyways. I understand those that are frustrated with AP for not being able to get what they wanted the last few years. I can see why that left a bad taste in their mouths, but the same holds true for PP and Rolex too. You could argue that the cost of entry for a Nautilus or Aquanaut is much higher than for an RO.

Isn't Rolex basically a one trick pony too? Every watch is based on an OP case with the exception of the 1908, no? What I find interesting is many of the Rolex centric collectors accuse AP of being a one trick pony.....

PP might be a different story. They do have a deeper variety of references to choose from in various shapes, metals, and complications, but there is always the cloud of your AD being axed and your relationship going with it. Scary thought to be honest at any level of the journey.

As far as having to buy Codes/ROO's to get an RO allocation goes, I think it's the kettle calling the pot black here. PP AD's are not going to sell you a Nautilus or Aquanaut until you spend BIG $ with them on other references, other brands, or jewelry they sell. Rolex AD's will not sell you hot sport pieces either without substantial spend on other things.

I'm a collector of all 3 brands here. I don't classify myself a fanboy of any one of them. I like them all for different reasons. I hope we can all get back to the days of talking about the watches themselves instead of secondary market values or as investments. This is a hobby after all.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 07:40 AM   #96
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreferHackingSeconds View Post

If codes are a money grab, what about entry level 6119s, Traditionnelle (or others that people buy to get an Overseas which trades for retail or less), Lange 1815s or Breguets?

They are all excellent and lovely watches, and if everyone was so fixated over the secondary values, I’m sure all these brands would have closed down long ago because no one would buy them new.

I honestly see a lot less Codes in the boutique on display than ROs and ROOs. It is not like AP is cutting RO production to make more Codes. If anything, the bulk of watches that come from AP are probably still steel ROs in all sizes. Just that everyone of the “watch investor” probably only wants a steel 39mm Jumbo

And if AP only made one watch, the 39mm Jumbo, can you imagine the further outrage about AP being a one trick pony?

Great points!

And in the end - personal preference only - I derive a ton more enjoyment with my CODE three hander than the 1815, the 6007, the 6119, or the VC Traditionelle. All fabulous pieces but I just really love the novel details on my CODE that I don't get with the other three handers. New movement, extraordinary case, incredible crystal, fabulous dial, etc etc.

And they just got started 5 years ago! I shared earlier that CODE volumes are similar to ALS in 2023 - so it's incredibly impressive how commercially successful it has been in such a short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:48 AM   #97
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
The onyx looks awesome. The green aventurine in photos looks nice but I wonder if it's a bit too much in person.
this is amazing, along with the aventurine QP - best code there is. AP hit it out of the park with this one.
Is this available from AP or is this HQ approval etc?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:51 AM   #98
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I just don't understand all the AP bashing. One trick pony brand? Maybe, but there is still too much demand vs supply for the RO. Wonder why? At least they are putting in an earnest effort to diversify their line up with the CODE. I didn't like them at launch either, but the newer releases have been really good IMO. What they trade for in the secondary market doesn't make it a bad watch. A PP 5172g retails at $80k and can be had in the secondary market for $60k as an example. Does it make it a bad watch? Absolutely not! It's a lovely reference.

Why we have to call any collector AP Fanboys, Rolex Fanboys, etc.. is beyond me. We are all just collectors that like certain brands for whatever our reasons. Whether one brand is better than another is purely subjective anyways. I understand those that are frustrated with AP for not being able to get what they wanted the last few years. I can see why that left a bad taste in their mouths, but the same holds true for PP and Rolex too. You could argue that the cost of entry for a Nautilus or Aquanaut is much higher than for an RO.

Isn't Rolex basically a one trick pony too? Every watch is based on an OP case with the exception of the 1908, no? What I find interesting is many of the Rolex centric collectors accuse AP of being a one trick pony.....

PP might be a different story. They do have a deeper variety of references to choose from in various shapes, metals, and complications, but there is always the cloud of your AD being axed and your relationship going with it. Scary thought to be honest at any level of the journey.

As far as having to buy Codes/ROO's to get an RO allocation goes, I think it's the kettle calling the pot black here. PP AD's are not going to sell you a Nautilus or Aquanaut until you spend BIG $ with them on other references, other brands, or jewelry they sell. Rolex AD's will not sell you hot sport pieces either without substantial spend on other things.

I'm a collector of all 3 brands here. I don't classify myself a fanboy of any one of them. I like them all for different reasons. I hope we can all get back to the days of talking about the watches themselves instead of secondary market values or as investments. This is a hobby after all.

Another great post. In the end let's get back to being fanboys of all of these incredible brands. More money to spend more timepieces to love :)

Old 9 April 2024, 08:54 AM   #99
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Moda.

Same place selling the green dial tourb.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 05:25 PM   #100
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i just don't understand all the ap bashing. One trick pony brand? Maybe, but there is still too much demand vs supply for the ro. Wonder why? At least they are putting in an earnest effort to diversify their line up with the code. I didn't like them at launch either, but the newer releases have been really good imo. What they trade for in the secondary market doesn't make it a bad watch. A pp 5172g retails at $80k and can be had in the secondary market for $60k as an example. Does it make it a bad watch? Absolutely not! It's a lovely reference.

Why we have to call any collector ap fanboys, rolex fanboys, etc.. Is beyond me. We are all just collectors that like certain brands for whatever our reasons. Whether one brand is better than another is purely subjective anyways. I understand those that are frustrated with ap for not being able to get what they wanted the last few years. I can see why that left a bad taste in their mouths, but the same holds true for pp and rolex too. You could argue that the cost of entry for a nautilus or aquanaut is much higher than for an ro.

Isn't rolex basically a one trick pony too? Every watch is based on an op case with the exception of the 1908, no? What i find interesting is many of the rolex centric collectors accuse ap of being a one trick pony.....

Pp might be a different story. They do have a deeper variety of references to choose from in various shapes, metals, and complications, but there is always the cloud of your ad being axed and your relationship going with it. Scary thought to be honest at any level of the journey.

As far as having to buy codes/roo's to get an ro allocation goes, i think it's the kettle calling the pot black here. Pp ad's are not going to sell you a nautilus or aquanaut until you spend big $ with them on other references, other brands, or jewelry they sell. Rolex ad's will not sell you hot sport pieces either without substantial spend on other things.

+1!
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 06:22 PM   #101
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very well said. The constant rant of putting down any reference using secondary market price as a guage is like repeatedly playing a broken record. Sounds more like an opportunist rather than collector.
Octagon Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 06:57 PM   #102
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1. I'm just going to guess that some people are unhappy they can't walk in and buy an RO in this current market, despite some models being below retail.

But I completely agree, why hate? If you don't like the way AP runs things, don't buy from the brand or buy grey. The bundling / purchase with purchase is way worst to get a Daytona or Nautilus / Aquanaut and may involve other brands or jewellery. I'm just happy that AP is being the most straight forward to me compared to my Rolex and PP AD which don't work like AP. At least with AP, if I don't want watches for my wife or watches in precious, they are completely ok for me to keep on purchasing steel or ceramic pieces. So I kinda like that direction that I can like every watch I buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
Great points!

And in the end - personal preference only - I derive a ton more enjoyment with my CODE three hander than the 1815, the 6007, the 6119, or the VC Traditionelle. All fabulous pieces but I just really love the novel details on my CODE that I don't get with the other three handers. New movement, extraordinary case, incredible crystal, fabulous dial, etc etc.

And they just got started 5 years ago! I shared earlier that CODE volumes are similar to ALS in 2023 - so it's incredibly impressive how commercially successful it has been in such a short time.

I managed to get the Holy Trinity ( 5212A, VC 1942 Triple Calendrier Historiques and 15210ST) in SS and the Code is seeing the most wrist time as my daily. The 4302 is much nicer to look at than the 26-330SC and the 4400QC imho. The case of the Code is just so much more intriguing too.

Now to get back on topic, I hope they release the code in 39mm with the 7121, add complications like dual time, triple calendars or even annual calendars. I would love a dual time or Gmt Code for travelling as the 15210st is my default travelling watch now.
Old 9 April 2024, 07:08 PM   #103
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I managed to get the Holy Trinity ( 5212A, VC 1942 Triple Calendrier Historiques and 15210ST) in SS and the Code is seeing the most wrist time as my daily. The 4302 is much nicer to look at than the 26-330SC and the 4400QC imho. The case of the Code is just so much more intriguing too.

Now to get back on topic, I hope they release the code in 39mm with the 7121, add complications like dual time, triple calendars or even annual calendars. I would love a dual time or Gmt Code for travelling as the 15210st is my default travelling watch now.
Same here, the Code is one of my most worn watches.

But do you really see a 39mm case happening any time soonafter they've just launched the 38mm version?
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 07:23 PM   #104
daviddgrant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Everyone I know with a code only bought one because AP made them do it to get an RO.

I don’t know anyone that has bought one because they thought it’s a cool watch at MSRP lol
I bought a Code 11.59 Chrono as an alternative to the Daytona Rosegold Oyterflex, which on my wrist looks like a ladies watch. The Code 11.59 Chrono, IMO is a far better alternative to a Daytona, in terms of the amount of watch you get for the money. I paid more or less the same price for them and while the Daytona does have some gain in value, I much prefer the code.
daviddgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 10:53 PM   #105
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What they trade for in the secondary market doesn't make it a bad watch.
Totally my sentiments. If this mentality is correct, can I safely comment all GS are lousy watches. And I'm also a GS "fanboy", next to AP.
Octagon Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 11:27 PM   #106
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1. I'm just going to guess that some people are unhappy they can't walk in and buy an RO in this current market, despite some models being below retail.

But I completely agree, why hate? If you don't like the way AP runs things, don't buy from the brand or buy grey. The bundling / purchase with purchase is way worst to get a Daytona or Nautilus / Aquanaut and may involve other brands or jewellery. I'm just happy that AP is being the most straight forward to me compared to my Rolex and PP AD which don't work like AP. At least with AP, if I don't want watches for my wife or watches in precious, they are completely ok for me to keep on purchasing steel or ceramic pieces. So I kinda like that direction that I can like every watch I buy.

Great ideas - adding a GMT, AC, Alarm, or additional functional complications on the CODE would be excellent! I also hope for split second, jumping hours, and maybe a Remaster with the 5516 dial??!!!!

I might go the other way - if they made a 35mm CODE my wife would be all over that one!

Lot more potential on this incredible CODE canvas! Excited about the future.