The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 February 2020, 06:19 AM   #181
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
You gave specific parameters as to what you felt was acceptable so myself and some others tried to give you honest advice as well advice that could help you in the future. In return... ? I had a watch that I put a dent in it on the very first day of owning it. It bothered me to the point that I actually sold it and never looked back. So I wasn't trying to be smart with my advice. I can't speak for the other replies you received.

I am going to give you a pass and just chalk it up to you being upset that the clasp on your watch has a scratch. In a years time, none of this will matter.
I didn't mean to offend. You are correct, for those who proposed demanding a new watch, I shouldnt have necessarily judged. I just think that that would be absolutely unreasonable. The clasp is replaceable without any serial, significant cost or risk ....the case, for instance, is a different story but thankfully no issue there, so selling the watch or asking for a new watch is just out of line in my estimation for such a blemish on the clasp. That's all. Please excuse me if that came off wrong.
Old 17 February 2020, 06:31 AM   #182
tyguy74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-Blue
Get it polished by AD for free or get over it
Old 17 February 2020, 06:44 AM   #183
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
So, in advance, please refrain from making any comments like, get over it, it was bound to happen anyway (especially considering that is not true based on information you will read below), you're being OCD, it's just a watch , it gives character battle scares, etc.

I have included a photo of the clasp, with 3M tape over it. I'm VERY careful with my watches, and I am not a fan of polishing. Hence, I put 3M helicopter tape because I'm always at a desk and I do a lot of desk driving. To that end, the whole, it would have happened anyway really doesn't apply to me here, fortunately or unfortunately.

The AD took the plastics off and then went to size the watch herself. I do not know whether it was the SA or another agent at the ad who caused the minor damage on the clasp. I know she got help sizing it.

Detail of damage:

It's about three scratches, at the PCL as well as the brushed area. It can only be seen when the light hits it at a certain angle. So if I'm in a lit room, and I twist my wrist, it doesn't necessarily mean that it can be seen. Light literally has to hit it For to show, so it's not particularly deep.

Background / relationship

I'm really friendly with my SA. They have been really good to me and I have been really good to them, and I don't want to leave a bad taste in their mouth. So I am not trying to be demanding or annoying, but at the same time, I'm disappointed that this happened, and that extra care wasn't taken. Plus, I don't know whether it was SA or another agent.

Things that are not an option:

Polishing or buffing it out.

How do you think I should proceed? It obviously bothering me enough that I am posting this ....

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. P.s. For those wondering why I put helicopter tape, because I want to protect my jewelry, to keep it shiny new and sparkly, somewhat in line with me putting 3M on my phone that is 1/20th the value.
Sell me the watch 😅
Old 17 February 2020, 06:49 AM   #184
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
The air bubbles in the tape look worse than the scratches IMO
Old 17 February 2020, 06:55 AM   #185
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
I’d hate to sell you anything. Your OCD would negate the satisfaction of any commission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 07:02 AM   #186
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Here are a couple of more photos, when the light is not hitting it, it disappears. Hope this gives you a better idea.see how it disappears? That gives you an idea that it is not terribly deep.
I'm sorry but that really looks like it still has sticker tape on it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 17 February 2020, 07:06 AM   #187
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
You can press the issue with the AD and would be right to do so but..... get ready to be blacklisted for future watch purchases. When you pick up a new hard to get model at an AD they are choosing you over a a long list of clients. Clients that don’t ask for anything so though it’s unfair it’s the way of things. That is unless you are purchasing other less desirable pieces or other jewelry.

Old 17 February 2020, 07:11 AM   #188
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, in advance, please refrain from making any comments like, get over it, it was bound to happen anyway (especially considering that is not true based on information you will read below), you're being OCD, it's just a watch , it gives character battle scares, etc.

Things that are not an option:

Polishing or buffing it out.

How do you think I should proceed? It obviously bothering me enough that I am posting this
Hahaha u r not giving us lotta options here.

But u sound like a smart fellow based on all of ur responses.. and u prob already knew u didn’t have many choices to begin with. lol
Prob just venting.. and we hear u.

It’s too bad that ur new watch got a scratch from AD before u had chance to protect it ur way.
That should not have happened.

Fleetlord had a good advice. Use this as a stepping stone to enjoy more with less fear (for lack of a better word).
Good luck
Old 17 February 2020, 08:12 AM   #189
tkdgod
"TRF" Member

Here you go: https://instagram.com/styx_watch_pro...d=h4emqghpetdr
Old 17 February 2020, 09:10 AM   #190
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
They actually handed you a brand new watch in that condition? Let's hope it was an honest mistake. Looks like a new clasp is required. I have been in a similar situation with my AD, although not for a Rolex. When I got it home I found a deep scratch on a lug. They offered a polish, price reduction or replacement. So my AD wouldn't quibble if I took a watch back that I had accidentally bought damaged. I hope yours will not. I wouldn't leave it too long though.
I wonder what happens to the damaged watch.

Polished and sold used or ... whatever Rolex does with it back in ...?
Old 17 February 2020, 10:01 AM   #191
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Ugh, I feel for you OP. Getting a scratch like that as soon as the factory stickers come off would really rub me the wrong way. Seems like there have been many of these types of posts lately with chipped lugs and scratched bracelets upon resizing. You expect the "professionals" to be able to do this without scarring your watch. I'll make sure to tell my SA and AD to keep all the factory plastics ON prior to any resizing.

If this happened to me, I'd ask the AD to polish out the scratches and call it a day. You mentioned that "polishing or buffing it out" is not an option. Not sure what you expect - a brand new watch or clasp? I doubt that's going to happen.

This being said, the helicopter tape looks awful, much worse than the scratches. Really makes the watch look cheap in my opinion. I know a guy who wears his SubC with the factory bezel guard on it. And I've heard of a few people swapping out their Rolex bracelets for leather straps, so that they can keep the bracelet in a safe - untouched and unscratched. To each their own. Do you wear the watch or does the watch wear you?
Old 17 February 2020, 10:25 AM   #192
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

Same happened to me, but I only noticed about a week later, and am absolutely certain I did not do it. But no way to prove it so have had to live with it.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:26 AM   #193
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atn_uk View Post
Same happened to me, but I only noticed about a week later, and am absolutely certain I did not do it. But no way to prove it so have had to live with it.

You scratched it. Not the AD.

Old 17 February 2020, 10:58 AM   #194
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Seriously, this is a simple polish job regardless of who was at fault. It won’t diminish the value of the watch.
Old 17 February 2020, 11:49 AM   #195
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for venting OP. Wishing you all the best.

Am truly glad many here, including myself, enjoy wearing their timepieces and the normal wear and tear that occurs. Have met a very wide variety of people in my life, and to each their own.

OP, does the replacement clasp need to be 'matching' production date too?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 17 February 2020, 12:08 PM   #196
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
You scratched it. Not the AD.

You assert that with such conviction. How can you be so sure?
Old 17 February 2020, 12:10 PM   #197
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Polish. Too easy.

Member of Nylon Nation
Member of Red Sox Nation

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 17 February 2020, 01:22 PM   #198
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Ask them to send off to laser weld.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 01:26 PM   #199
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I’m fairly accepting I might get an occasional scratch but from the AD before I’ve had a chance to really wear the watch? Unacceptable...
Old 17 February 2020, 01:41 PM   #200
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
OP, does the replacement clasp need to be 'matching' production date too?
Not possible. They're now random 3-digit codes. And, the clasp code doesn't match the endlink codes. Any replacement would just be another random code.

HTH
Old 17 February 2020, 01:48 PM   #201
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I was going to say try some cape cod or sunshine cloth anyway, once is NBD but that could be worse not sure, still worth a last ditch effort, better then buying a new clasp for me, if thats your plan. I'd be really pissed too. Good luck on your decision.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 01:48 PM   #202
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Not possible. They're now random 3-digit codes. And, the clasp code doesn't match the endlink codes. Any replacement would just be another random code.

HTH
That's correct. But even if the AD offered me a new clasp, on their own volition, without my request, I swear I would not take it. I would be too embarrassed to do so, and I know it would be the end of our relationship, even if they did it gracefully with a smile. I should have stated this on my original post. And as I stated before, I'm certainly not going going to pay for a new clasp for such a minor scratch. No way.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:53 PM   #203
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ah well, you could have it polished and sell it, then find one NOS that meets your high criteria.

So is there really any other solution OP?

Enjoy your time :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:06 PM   #204
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
That's correct. But even if the AD offered me a new clasp, on their own volition, without my request, I swear I would not take it. I would be too embarrassed to do so, and I know it would be the end of our relationship, even if they did it gracefully with a smile. I should have stated this on my original post. And as I stated before, I'm certainly not going going to pay for a new clasp for such a minor scratch. No way.

This definitely sucks and sorry it happened.

So what do you think would make you happy? Sounds like the only options are to quietly get over it, or sell it and buy again. Which do you choose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 03:23 PM   #205
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
You worry too much for nothing. If they already have offered you a new clasp why would it ruin your relationship with the AD?

Even if it will ruin your relationship with that AD, why would you care when you have the beautiful mistakeless watch with the clasp replacement?

At your next Rolex purchase most employees at that AD will already be gone. They wont even remember your clasp replacement.

They make the price of the new clasp in seconds time and wouldnt even care.

Even what you believe happens and loose the relationship with the AD (which is unlikely), you will find another AD its not end of the world. Maybe at your next Rolex purchase the AD will be closed the business by that time.

Get the clasp replaced, and if you worry about the relationship keep visiting them regularly and act as if nothing has happened. Regularly visiting the AD well represented and groomed with a positive body language will be the key point. They will forget about the little clasp that they give you for free and look for future businesses with you which will make them earn maybe 100 times of that clasp.

If they will loose the relationship with you for sake of a little clasp which they scratched then its better them to close the business...The world doesnt work like that.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:46 PM   #206
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
It has happened to me on several occasions. I’ve had a couple of watches scratched at an AD. And I’ve had a sports car backed into something during service causing about $2500 worth of damage.

The scratches weren’t bad - and I honestly didn’t even mention it to them. My dealership repaired and re-painted the bumper and life went on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Thanks...I see this a great opportunity for Jackson to get past this and enjoy his watches more without fretting over the day to day stuff that comes up.

Again...not advocating scraping it against a brick wall..etc, but habituating the little stuff will set him free!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Rant begins:
What JacksonRain has here is just ANOTHER example of a ham-fisted ^&$%#* untrained SA who has NO business attempting to be a jeweler and sizing bracelets.

It doesn't matter if it is the least costly Rolex or the most expensive, or even if it a cheaper brand. The point is that someone KNOWINGLY damaged the watch. No way could they NOT know. And they seldom if ever seem to own up, at least from what we read at the watch forums.

The exact same thing happened to my Sky-Dweller. (Big post at WUS.) Literally within a few minutes of payment, it was badly damaged with a deep scratch across the bracelet and incredibly damaged pins. I have never in my life been so infuriated. I did not enjoy paying $18K for that outcome!

The offer to "polish" my scratch was an insult . It's a brand NEW watch after all!

I have to wonder how many bracelets are butchered as this at AD's and we never hear of it because most watch buyers are not "Watch Forum" oriented.

(I also wonder about the posters who say "no big deal" if this had happened to their watch, or maybe their new Lambo at the dealer. Hmmm. Something to think about there.)

My SA is no longer "really" wanting to deal with me. He has become sarcastic, dismissive and overall nasty because he was caught and (I believe) received a butt-chewing and possibly denied the commission? I no longer do business there since their Rolex-trained tech has long since retired.

Now I own the proper tools and do it myself (retired mechanical tech.)

So yes - JacksonRain has every right to be just as infuriated about the ham-fisted treatment to a brand new watch.

It will get scratched, of course, over time, with HIS scratch history. He does not need to reminded every time he looks at the watch as to where that ^%&$ FIRST scratch originated.

Rant Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Exactly. Your rationale is spot on and not "mean" in any way. Some here need to pull up their big boy pants and start acting like men and not two year olds. I think the OP has deeper issues that go far beyond a hairline scratch or two on a watch clasp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I’m sorry - but what do you want people to say? You said you aren’t looking for re-assurance or that it’s ok - and going to happen ANYWAY if you’re going to wear and enjoy your watch. So what are you looking for? Fuel to go back to your AD and point a finger at them for something they might have done? Cmon.

Furthermore - what would you like them to do? They just sold you one of (if not the) hardest To get, and most sought after watches on the planet.

I am very careful with my watches as well. All of them, from Rolex to Patek - but I wear them, enjoy them and understand that scratches are just going to happen. I don’t like polishing either - except at service time...which is rare.

If you have those types of concerns when at the AD etc, why didn't you inspect your watch before you left and addressed then? Even if you did, they would simply buff it out and that’s it. They’re not going to get you a new clasp.

Not trying to be overly critical, but I don’t know what you’re end game is here. If you simply can’t deal with it, go get your money back and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree a extremely superficial mark made worse by the sticky-back plastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
I don’t know man. That’s a lot of scratching for a brand new watch.

I’m one of the guys that thinks scratches will come anyway, and they add personality to the watch.

But those scratches are big, even if not deep, and the fact that someone else put them on your brand new watch is bothersome.

Why don’t you go talk to the AD and ask them to make it up somehow without polishing the watch.

I understand you have a nice relationship ship with them, but if they do it again, are you going to let it happen again? I wouldn’t.

Plus, they need to know so that they can be more careful next time.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If the scratch is a hairline as the pics indicate and not deep then it is hard for you to argue that it was not done at home, so you can ask them to make it right but they are within their rights to refuse.
Two additional (apparent) tool marks spotted for your viewing pleasure. I'm not going to be bashful. I'm just going to bring it to her attention, hear her out and probably just let it be.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:51 PM   #207
seasubmariner
Banned

Oh my god..Did a butcher or carpenter made the adjustment?

It looks s..t sorry to say that. Get it replaced for free while you can.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:55 PM   #208
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Dude.......it's a watch. Obviously this isn't the response you want, but this is a Rolex - a watch meant to be worn. Wear it, scratch it more, and at some point you won't remember if that part of the watch was originally brushed or polished.
Old 17 February 2020, 04:00 PM   #209
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
Dude.......it's a watch. Obviously this isn't the response you want, but this is a Rolex - a watch meant to be worn. Wear it, scratch it more, and at some point you won't remember if that part of the watch was originally brushed or polished.

Those scratches are obviously screwdriver marks which looks like someone has no idea about watches messed it up.

If you wear with care it wont scratch...

This is my 2012 sub.....Never polished...No marks...Photo taken very recently as I am selling it.

Old 17 February 2020, 04:10 PM   #210
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
Those scratches are obviously screwdriver marks which looks like someone has no idea about watches messed it up.

If you wear with care it wont scratch...

This is my 2012 sub.....Never polished...No marks...Photo taken very recently as I am selling it.

I suppose we all wear out watches differently. My clasp is so worn after a couple years of use that I honestly can't remember if it came polished or brushed. I can't imagine having to worry about resting my wrist on a countertop or desktop for fear of damaging it in some way.
Closed Thread