The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2020, 04:37 AM   #31
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In the real world quality is still excellent considering the amount of Rolex watches made each year.Whats changed mainly is many of today's Rolex owners with loupe mania,alignment point syndrome and the many other Rolex syndromes of today's age.

???
I disagree with you: This is not some modern mania. These are Very expensive watches. Rolex has increased the prices quite a lot and if the overall quality is getting down, we have a real problem. I feel that people are having too much faith on what Rolex is doing.
I think in the 70’s or 80’s when these watches were cheaper, there was no need for being so pedantic.
Customers who are spending insane amounts of money on these watches do have a right to ask for better quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 04:40 AM   #32
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhootowl View Post
I bought two submariners new from my AD within a period of about 5 months and both of them had badly misaligned rehauts. One had a misaligned bezel, and the other had misaligned dial text. Ended up getting rid of them both, I couldn’t get over it even though I tried. My black bay 58 had better quality control than the more than twice as expensive sub. Both subs did run excellent though, no complaints there.

What I’ve noticed: there are plenty of these kind of experiences. The price point is so high that IMO this is unacceptable.

Old 17 February 2020, 04:40 AM   #33
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In the real world quality is still excellent considering the amount of Rolex watches made each year.Whats changed mainly is many of today's Rolex owners with loupe mania,alignment point syndrome and the many other Rolex syndromes of today's age.
I'm guilty of alignment syndrome...
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 04:41 AM   #34
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
No one is perfect. Rolex comes darn close. Explore other luxury brands and you’ll appreciate The Rolex way. I’ve had many over the years and not one quality problem or issue. Can’t say that about anything else I’ve purchased.

And 5 years quarantee is something.

Old 17 February 2020, 04:45 AM   #35
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
It's anal retentive people on watch forums and youtube videos that examine these watches with 50X magnification and over scrutinize every little thing. Before all this people actually wore and enjoyed them for what they are.

True. Internet has changed everything.
Maby this is the key thing:
Rolex is aggressively increasing prices, making more watches, trying to overcome Patek and AP... Are these kind of quality issues acceptable? Is Rolex making too many watches? Were the earlier Rolex-watches better in quality?

Old 17 February 2020, 05:00 AM   #36
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quality is excellent. Rise in price is normal just like homes, cars, etc as currency devalues.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 05:07 AM   #37
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quality on my Daytona and DJ41s is excellent under 10x. Subs and GMTs are eye clean only.
Old 17 February 2020, 07:12 AM   #38
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Quality on my Daytona and DJ41s is excellent under 10x. Subs and GMTs are eye clean only.

Good point: eye clean only. This is which I am trying to understand: Is it acceptable at this price point? Seemingly it is. This might also be the reason why Rolex will never be part of the Horological Trinity. At the end: Why should it be?

Old 17 February 2020, 07:27 AM   #39
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I'm not sure that a dozen or so examples on YouTube makes a pattern. Complaints make for good click bait. Don't fall for it.

How many of your watches have had issues? You've had quite a few.
Good point

Rolex make near on a million watches a year hense the mass produced thing, and there's bound to be some that slip through.
Besides don't get caught up in the Rolex perfection spin they put about at every opportunity as part of "the Rowlex way".
It's simple. Rolex makes great solid watches which are for the most part overpriced. But we mostly like em
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:30 AM   #40
Oldhootowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
What I’ve noticed: there are plenty of these kind of experiences. The price point is so high that IMO this is unacceptable.

Agreed. It really is unacceptable. I’ve seen equal poor QC Rolex’s to good ones.

Oldhootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:47 AM   #41
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I'm a Rolex fanboy, BUT the bezel on my new 126710BLNR is off-center. I remember this being common on cheap Seikos. When I pay an AD $10k for a new timepiece I do expect perfection. A misaligned bezel shows pretty shoddy workmanship and QA. Come on, Rolex, you can do better.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:29 AM   #42
bigrustypig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Round up to a million units produced per year for the sake of the maths.

Assume for the sake of argument that 0.1% have “unacceptable” defects then that’s a thousand watches every year for people on YT and forums to bitch about.

What of the remaining 99.9%?

I think it’s highly unlikely Rolex quality is decreasing (though it’s possible). Rather, they’re selling more watches and people have ever larger numbers of platforms on which to moan publicly about anything and everything.

This

bigrustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:05 AM   #43
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
these are very robust mid-priced watches, if you consider the wider watch world. you get a lot for your money but you shouldn’t expect perfection.
Old 17 February 2020, 09:16 AM   #44
smym18
"TRF" Member

These “issues” probably happened just as much if not more in the early days of Rolex only now people have places to b&m about it after seeing others do the same.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:21 AM   #45
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
To me, whether the crown aligns a certain way, or the bezel pip doesn't precisely line up with a bezel lug, or the bezel is a RCH off the 12 marker are mfg variables not defects.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:04 AM   #46
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
To me, whether the crown aligns a certain way, or the bezel pip doesn't precisely line up with a bezel lug, or the bezel is a RCH off the 12 marker are mfg variables not defects.
I guess we have different expectations. When spending $10k, I don't expect to see "manufacturing variables" that are plainly visible and clearly fixable. If I, as a person who doesn't drop that kind of money lightly, can spot a misalignment a RCH off then I expect Rolex QC to spot the same issue and correct it prior to leaving the factory. If we're paying for quality, and we are BIG time, then we shouldn't have to put up with stuff that should be caught and remedied prior to shipping.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:19 AM   #47
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
My Rolex is perfect, hope yours too!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:23 AM   #48
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

What is happening with Rolex quality???

Not sure that limited anecdotal evidence from unverified sources are convincing enough for me. My personal experience is quite the contrary. Having a dozen watches from various reputable brands, nothing matched Rolex quality so far

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:34 AM   #49
ijpx
"TRF" Member

Buying a Rolex and expecting the quality of holy trinity like Patek is a dream.

Took a lope and looked at competing brands like Omega and everything makes sense to me. LOL
But I’m sure Omega’s new factory will make Rolex a run for their money in the future.
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:34 AM   #50
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Right! And possibly more important, they're SUBJECTIVE issues!

One man's misaligned rehaut is another person's accurately aligned rehaut. Bezel pips, off center 12 o'clock markers and inverted crowns are interpretive issues which usually no one cares about or only annoy a few owners. Mechanical issues, rotor noise, poor time keeping are the only ones worth complaining about if severe enough.
People say Rolex are overpriced and I disagree: if anything I consider them a very good value. (before things got crazy)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:56 AM   #51
Robf52
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry but misalignment issues are not imo interpretive or subjective. Pips, bezels, rehauts are either aligned correctly or they are not. Simple as that.
If customers of ANY product “settle” for less than expected or deserved, that is what you end up with. The mindset that we’ll settle for less, begets receiving less.
At this level of watchmaking we shouldn’t have to settle.
Sorry for the rant. I’m very happy with Rolex but know they can and should do better (as we all can and should).

Old 17 February 2020, 12:11 PM   #52
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy63 View Post
Don't you know it's a mass produced watch and only nitpicky people with OCD care about such things. Throw away the loupe or buy a Grand Seiko.
Implying that if you want quality, buy Japanese. Cheaper and better. So I would suggest that the original poster is correct. Rolex quality is becoming piss poor.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:37 PM   #53
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
I’m sorry but misalignment issues are not imo interpretive or subjective. Pips, bezels, rehauts are either aligned correctly or they are not. Simple as that.
If customers of ANY product “settle” for less than expected or deserved, that is what you end up with. The mindset that we’ll settle for less, begets receiving less.
At this level of watchmaking we shouldn’t have to settle.
Sorry for the rant. I’m very happy with Rolex but know they can and should do better (as we all can and should).

You have nothing to apologize for, it's good thread.

As you point out, misalignment issues, etc. are. indeed "right" or. "wrong". Your passionate post didn't produce a heaven-sent revelation in which I changed my mind, however, small issues like a little 'play' with the bezel or some slightly off axis date wheel, you know, the small but annoying problems, are to be expected on watches in this price point. For instance, the 12 pip/triangle was ever-so-slightly off on my bluesy. I simply dealt with it by clicking it to 12 and moving it backward which made it okay. And, even that was silly because it never bothered me until someone pointed it out. Others find things like this completely unacceptable. Yes, it *should* be spot on, but heck who's got time to fret about stuff like that. I respect the people with eagle eyes that notice these issues but I just feel it's better (and less stressful) to accept the imperfections and enjoy the watch. Complaining (I do not mean the OP) about it without offering a solution is pointless. Bringing it to TRF attention is great and makes for good conversation but *anything and everthing* has small flaws and I find it better to just move on.
Again, and I ain't a billionaire, Rolex offer great, classy and reliable products afforadable to anyone with the will and patience to save up or sacrifice a little to purchase one.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 12:58 PM   #54
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Rolex quality seems as good as ever to me, I can only go by what I've seen on mine and theres been no issues for me.
I've never had to use any warranty. They're still a good buy at msrp. They'll be never haute horology obviously but for mid tier they have to be the best bang for the buck all the way around. Their built to a tough standard through their history that lasts a lifetime therefore they hold their value. Whats not to like...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 01:49 PM   #55
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good point. Also it is interesting that so many are pointing out similar problems with different Rolexes. Maby it is just click baits?
100% click bait. That's not to say there aren't issues once in a while but the whole point of YouTube is to get as many clicks and eyeballs on a video to sell advertising. Issues with Rolex are a huge topic so it's not uncommon to see melodramatic titles or minor issues overblown.

Like I said, consider your own experience and see how that compares. I'm sure you've had pretty good luck.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 03:04 PM   #56
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Amazing product. Few issues after 1mm units a year. Statistically nothing. But hugely mass produced. Kind of like golf — used to be sort of exclusive but now who doesn’t do it (besides me)?

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 03:20 PM   #57
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
These “issues” probably happened just as much if not more in the early days of Rolex only now people have places to b&m about it after seeing others do the same.
I agree.

I've never had an issue with quality (then again, I don't own a loupe ) and I've bought and sold several Rolexes over the past 30 years.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 06:46 PM   #58
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:
There are plenty of differenet videos about poor quality of Rolex watches:
Dust on the hour markers (Hafiz J Mehmood, Datejust 41), rattling noice, loose bezel and terrible painting in GMT Master II BLNR 126710 (Clockbait); just a few to mention.
And just recently Rolex decided to increase the prices quite a lot...
What is happening? Even though Rolex-watches are mass produced, we are talking avout watches which are very expensive.
Is it all about greed; Rolex is relying their strong brand name and don’t give a #%*^ anymore? People are still buying their watches, so it doesn’t matter if the quality is poor?
Has it always been like this with the quality?

i once had a 16600 that fogged up after a hand wash. I wasn't even in deep sea.

Also, a 16610 that keeps stopping.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:14 PM   #59
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I am totally satisfied with my Rolex watches. Love the design and the durability. The abuse I've thrown at them and they keep on working is really amazing.
Just had a 20 year old serviced for the first time. Came back looking brand new and there was nothing wrong with its internals.

None of them are 100% perfect in finishing, nor would I expect them to be. After all they probably produce about 1 million pieces a year and are still relatively cheap.

If you want perfection you have to look at other brands i.e. Gronefeld, Lange and any Seiko from the Micro Artist Studio.
These brands I really admire for what they do but with my failing eyesight I go for robustness and classic designs
Old 17 February 2020, 07:17 PM   #60
MrKhan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are plenty of differenet videos about poor quality of Rolex watches:
Dust on the hour markers (Hafiz J Mehmood, Datejust 41), rattling noice, loose bezel and terrible painting in GMT Master II BLNR 126710 (Clockbait); just a few to mention.
And just recently Rolex decided to increase the prices quite a lot...
What is happening? Even though Rolex-watches are mass produced, we are talking avout watches which are very expensive.
Is it all about greed; Rolex is relying their strong brand name and don’t give a #%*^ anymore? People are still buying their watches, so it doesn’t matter if the quality is poor?
Has it always been like this with the quality?

Let’s not forget what happened the last time a YouTuber that shot macro mistakes on a Rolex...

It was a Horor lgy House!
MrKhan is offline   Reply With Quote