The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2020, 10:54 AM   #1351
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
Feeling Japanese tonight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:42 AM   #1352
TNT009
"TRF" Member

WP

TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 08:19 AM   #1353
gohmdoree
"TRF" Member

I'm a fan of Glenfiddich 18
gohmdoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:35 PM   #1354
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Happy Wednesday evening
Old fashioned, Bulleit rye

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 26 February 2020, 04:43 PM   #1355
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes

A couple of days ago, I bought a peanut butter whiskey after Mrs Yoda pointed it out at the grocery store. It was cheap, a novelty (to me), and might make a good dessert drink. So I said what the heck.

Normally, I drink my whiskys and whiskeys neat. But with a name like Skrewball, I'm guessing you're supposed to MIX it with something.

However, I never mix drinks. I don't have the patience. That's what I pay bartenders for. One thing I love about (normal) whisky and whiskey is you can just pour it and go. The only things I'll mix are highballs, which are easy enough.

So being the stubborn bastard that I am, I tried it neat. I figured, NAHH! It'll be fine! Oh holy peanut syrup gahh. If you've ever had soft drink syrup before it's mixed with the carbonated water, start with that mental image. Only with a peanut butter flavor. It's sweet like the devil with nothing identifying it to me as whiskey.

All I have to dilute it is club soda. Looks like I will be experimenting with Skrewball highballs.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:06 PM   #1356
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post

A couple of days ago, I bought a peanut butter whiskey after Mrs Yoda pointed it out at the grocery store. It was cheap, a novelty (to me), and might make a good dessert drink. So I said what the heck.

Normally, I drink my whiskys and whiskeys neat. But with a name like Skrewball, I'm guessing you're supposed to MIX it with something.

However, I never mix drinks. I don't have the patience. That's what I pay bartenders for. One thing I love about (normal) whisky and whiskey is you can just pour it and go. The only things I'll mix are highballs, which are easy enough.

So being the stubborn bastard that I am, I tried it neat. I figured, NAHH! It'll be fine! Oh holy peanut syrup gahh. If you've ever had soft drink syrup before it's mixed with the carbonated water, start with that mental image. Only with a peanut butter flavor. It's sweet like the devil with nothing identifying it to me as whiskey.

All I have to dilute it is club soda. Looks like I will be experimenting with Skrewball highballs.

I tried this a few months ago. Almost threw up.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:54 PM   #1357
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO

I’m in Poland right now. Found a nice bar here that had a little bit of a 2011 Wild Turkey 101 left. A double of it set me back $12.

Same night, a little later, had a Cohiba 2017 Limited Edition and a stiff pour of Blanton’s Gold.

ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 07:29 PM   #1358
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post

I’m in Poland right now. Found a nice bar here that had a little bit of a 2011 Wild Turkey 101 left. A double of it set me back $12.

Same night, a little later, had a Cohiba 2017 Limited Edition and a stiff pour of Blanton’s Gold.

What are you doing in my beautiful country and where are you stationed?
Old 26 February 2020, 11:47 PM   #1359
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Quote:

Be safe out there. And good luck hunting for some dusties and underpriced whiskeys!

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:15 AM   #1360
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Is that wild turkey any good for a first venture into bourbon?
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:48 AM   #1361
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
Feeling Japanese tonight....

I use to drink that regularly. Good stuff. I can’t believe how much the price of it has increased the past 10 years or so. I used to buy it at around $60-$70 a bottle. That’s when I was drinking whatever Nikka had to offer.
Old 27 February 2020, 03:34 AM   #1362
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Is that wild turkey any good for a first venture into bourbon?

Yes, I would say so. If the choices are the basic Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, or Wild Turkey, I would pick WT101.

The nice thing about the resurgence of Bourbon over the last 10 years, or so, is that it is becoming more widely available in places it previously wasn’t. I personally love WT, but I know a lot of people who don’t.

I’m sure several others will have ideas of a good first, but I don’t know your options so I went with what I assumed are prevalent.

(Before some keyboard warrior jumps in, I know Jack is a Tennessee Whiskey, but it’s a common bourbon-mash whiskey that most people know...)

Old 27 February 2020, 05:14 AM   #1363
thedak
"TRF" Member

WT101 is fantastic at that price point
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 06:38 AM   #1364
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Yes, I would say so. If the choices are the basic Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, or Wild Turkey, I would pick WT101.

The nice thing about the resurgence of Bourbon over the last 10 years, or so, is that it is becoming more widely available in places it previously wasn’t. I personally love WT, but I know a lot of people who don’t.

I’m sure several others will have ideas of a good first, but I don’t know your options so I went with what I assumed are prevalent.

(Before some keyboard warrior jumps in, I know Jack is a Tennessee Whiskey, but it’s a common bourbon-mash whiskey that most people know...)

Thanks for the write-up, I will add this bottle to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
WT101 is fantastic at that price point
Old 27 February 2020, 02:37 PM   #1365
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:

People who disagree aren't "keyboard warriors" they simply disagree. Jack is Bourbon, that's common knowledge despite JD's marketing ploys. WT and RR are great whiskeys, never have to apologize for what you like.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 05:23 PM   #1366
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
People who disagree aren't "keyboard warriors" they simply disagree. Jack is Bourbon, that's common knowledge despite JD's marketing ploys. WT and RR are great whiskeys, never have to apologize for what you like.

I think there is a difference between “keyboard warrior” and “person with a different opinion willing to discuss those opinions.” I like how journalist James Stacey (Hodinkee, The Grey NATO) describes it: “strong opinions, held loosely”. Keyboard warriors tend to be indignant and unable to consider opposing viewpoints.

To get his back on a whiskey track, I love Jack. I drink Old No. 7 neat. I love Gentleman Jack, and I was trying to get some buddies together years ago to buy a barrel, but no one loved it as much as me. I classify it as a type of bourbon because the way it is produced does not declassify it from that category. One of my top 3 whiskies of all time is the JD Heritage Barrel. That said, Jack Daniels is often not appealing to many casual drinkers newly exposed to whiskey. At least not in my experience.

Neither is Jim Bean, for that matter. Heck, I don’t even like white label anymore. Yet, I love Baker’s, Bookers, and Knob Creek.

If there’s a selection to choose from, I like to use Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey, or Michter’s to introduce newbies to the bourbon world. Pretty standard stuff that happens to be available in my cabinet, as well.

Old 27 February 2020, 08:16 PM   #1367
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Detroit-Seoul-Colombo Flight

On our way to Sri lanka via a transit in Seoul South Korea I ventured into my very first ever bottle of Whiskey. I am a 99% BEER Man but for some reason the appeal of this bottle by its looks alone had me buy 2 of them and carry them with me to Sri lanka. I have zero idea on how to rate or judge but this stuff down right tastes nice with just a ice cube...Would like some feedback from others on what they think of it..

AE8DF868-E96E-43C4-89C4-F4B26D145B09.jpeg
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 03:20 AM   #1368
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
I think there is a difference between “keyboard warrior” and “person with a different opinion willing to discuss those opinions.”
That was exactly my point
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2020, 07:01 PM   #1369
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I know there're fans of redbreast in this thread and when I saw the rb 12 on sale at my local Costco for $38 I thought I'd give it a spin... Turns out it's not my cup of tea. JMHO

On the other hand, I picked up a Alexander Murray bottling of Laphroaig for $40 and absolutely love it. Also picked up an AM bottling of Bruichladdich ($57) but have yet to open it... Am very much looking forward to it though
Old 1 March 2020, 07:23 AM   #1370
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
Anybody have an opinion on this rye? I got it at retail, not sure if I should try to sell / trade or just drink it.

DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 09:54 AM   #1371
Apflorio1
"TRF" Member

A very good dram.

Apflorio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 01:43 PM   #1372
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 10:36 AM   #1373
Spanky4888
"TRF" Member

Got a call to pick up a few 1.75l Eagle rare this weekend ..also grabbed a Weller 12 1.75l and a Blantons on the same trip. Pretty hard to find stuff.

Sorry just realized my pics suck
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 477B7F20-8FBC-499D-86D6-72E09CE03E83.jpeg (31.3 KB, 200 views)
Spanky4888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 11:28 AM   #1374
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJG View Post
Anybody have an opinion on this rye? I got it at retail, not sure if I should try to sell / trade or just drink it.

It’s a 6 year barrell proof rye - it is all hype and not that great IMO at all. Trade it for a GTS.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:12 PM   #1375
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
This tonight....

JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 07:16 PM   #1376
Yoda_Eating_Pizza

Watch: Yes
Quote:
This tonight....

Oh... i... ahh...

Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 08:01 PM   #1377
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
This tonight....

I had that at the Lagavulin distillery in September last year, lovely dram. I will get one of these when my Lagavulin 16 is empty.

I have a list of bottles I'm buying next time and I'm not too happy with the price
Old 3 March 2020, 03:31 AM   #1378
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post

LOL this has become very popular at our tailgate as a shot. Agree nothing about it seems like whisky, but as a quick shot I kinda like it!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 04:28 AM   #1379
Ballzzz

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-dri...ng-to-the-u-s/
Old 3 March 2020, 07:47 AM   #1380
TNT009
"TRF" Member

TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote