The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 February 2020, 01:00 PM   #1
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Watch: It varies
Omega at Retail Price - Ouch.

I was in the omega boutique this evening, and tried on one of the new Seamaster two tones. After leaving in seriously considering purchasing it, I checked Chrono24 and there are several for a good 25-30% below retail BNIB.

I have a buddy who purchased an omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich at full retail price. Moon phase and date complication. Realistically a great value for the complications. Yet, like many other Omegas it drops by $2,000 right out the door. 6,100 to $4000.

I know there’s a discussion of “value” and not buying a watch just because of its value. Still, I can’t bring myself to buy an omega at retail. Even BNIB Grey is usually 30% cheaper. If I’m wrong, please correct me, but yikes! I’ve never asked for a discount, because I assume it won’t approach grey prices. Anyone else feel this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zorinindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:03 PM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Pisses me off that they let this happen.

One of my major turn offs about the brand.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:05 PM   #3
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

I agree! There are many brands that hold their value. Many that I’d buy at retail and have! Not interested in profitability, but coming from a business background, I hesitate to pay for anything that I know will immediately depreciate (car excluded here as that is a bit different).

Old 12 February 2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I was at an Omega boutique today. I stop in occasionally but yet to buy. Had a good talk with an SA/WIS for awhile. They will discount. We talked AD vs grey and he knew exactly where I was coming from. The time to deal is when your ready to 'buy now'. I'll be back for a Speedy this summer. I'm thinking of a number, if we're close He'll close the deal if not I'll walk, telling him I'll think, if he calls back in a few days cool, if not then I'll go grey.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Clinton Ave
Banned

Cannot understand why anyone would buy from a boutique vs. an AD. AD all day cause they'll give you a deep discount.
Clinton Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:03 PM   #6
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i bought speedmaster professional at retail...agreed ouch but i had a great experience and confidence buy
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:12 PM   #7
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I like to buy accessories from the boutique. I've bought a bracelet for my FOIS, replaced the clasp for my Seamaster 300M, Nato straps, and a leather strap. Great to buy those things but I wouldn't buy an actual watch from the boutique anymore.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:18 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Its a fair concern to have, but when you're getting a fair discount at retail, who cares, really?

And 99% of the watch buying public aren't us. If they were, a Rolex would be as common as a Prius. And then we'd complain about that...
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #9
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I was at an Omega boutique today. I stop in occasionally but yet to buy. Had a good talk with an SA/WIS for awhile. They will discount. We talked AD vs grey and he knew exactly where I was coming from. The time to deal is when your ready to 'buy now'. I'll be back for a Speedy this summer. I'm thinking of a number, if we're close He'll close the deal if not I'll walk, telling him I'll think, if he calls back in a few days cool, if not then I'll go grey.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tell us how it goes! I should inquire if they can do anything price wise to “soften the blow” as it were.

Old 12 February 2020, 02:30 PM   #10
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Ave View Post
Cannot understand why anyone would buy from a boutique vs. an AD. AD all day cause they'll give you a deep discount.

Didn’t know that! Thanks!

Old 12 February 2020, 02:31 PM   #11
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I like to buy accessories from the boutique. I've bought a bracelet for my FOIS, replaced the clasp for my Seamaster 300M, Nato straps, and a leather strap. Great to buy those things but I wouldn't buy an actual watch from the boutique anymore.

Funny! I asked about a bracelet for my FOIS today!

Old 12 February 2020, 02:32 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
PS: That SeaMP is a nicer watch than the YMOF...
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:32 PM   #13
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Just ask your AD for the grey price. They will deal close if not match it (taxes you wont get around). My experience anyway.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:34 PM   #14
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Its a fair concern to have, but when you're getting a fair discount at retail, who cares, really?

And 99% of the watch buying public aren't us. If they were, a Rolex would be as common as a Prius. And then we'd complain about that...

I’m very new to the idea of the discount at retail. I’ve bought only Rolex and IWC at retail, and the prices held well.

I’ve been glad to belong to a community that gets watches! Always great opinions here. Thanks!

Old 12 February 2020, 02:37 PM   #15
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
Just ask your AD for the grey price. They will deal close if not match it (taxes you wont get around). My experience anyway.

Thanks! Great tip. I’m very new to the idea of a discount. I’ve always bought Rolex at AD, and that price really is the lowest, so I’m having to adjust my mindset.

Old 12 February 2020, 03:18 PM   #16
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
You don’t get what you don’t ask for.

I’m in the market for some omegas and just starting to search around. I was offered 10% off from an Omega Boutique and 12% from an AD. I haven’t bothered to ask for more yet. I’ll handle that when I’m ready to pull the trigger.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 03:26 PM   #17
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
Call me quirky, but I won't play a grey against an AD. At least I wouldn't play hardball. If an SA at an AD treats me with respect, at least acknowledges that I can source a watch cheaper, knows his stuff and acknowledges that I know mine...I'll pay more. Maybe not retail, but I wouldn't beat him up for grey prices.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 06:18 PM   #18
colpol
"TRF" Member

Bought a Cartier for my partner last month

The AD emailed me last month asking me to get in touch if could help with anything else in 2020.

I emailed back that if they discounted me a Speedmaster at 20% - I’d come round at lunchtime & collect. They called back a few days & said 12% was best they would do. There are UK greys doing 20% & an 8% saving to much to give up to keep an AD sweet on an easy available watch to source/ buy
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 09:35 PM   #19
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Omega is a soft brand when it comes to retail as opposed to what you can get the watches for from an AD or a Grey. I have bought many over the years and have always received a significant discount. Some times when an AD will not meet my number or get real close I close the gap with straps. Typically I have found that the AD's are more generous with those items than giving a full 20% or more. In the end these items have a value and sometimes they will exceed the discount with them.

Last edited by 1William; 12 February 2020 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 09:48 PM   #20
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Omega at Retail Price - Ouch.

I got 18% off (a limited edition) and kinda kicked myself for not making a lower offer. Omaha ADs always discount. If I ever buy another, I'm stating my offer at 25% off
Old 12 February 2020, 10:10 PM   #21
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Unless your aim is to build a relationship to get hard to get LE pieces, there is no reason to buy from an OB in my opinion. ADs or grey will get you deep discounts w warranty cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 10:14 PM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Went to two shops to buy my Moonphase. The best they would do is 10-15% off. Went grey and got it for over 30% off. Doesn't make much sense to buy Omegas new to be honest.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 10:34 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Agreed

Discounts destroy value and yet it is all some people seek.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 11:07 PM   #24
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
You don’t get what you don’t ask for.

I’m in the market for some omegas and just starting to search around. I was offered 10% off from an Omega Boutique and 12% from an AD. I haven’t bothered to ask for more yet. I’ll handle that when I’m ready to pull the trigger.

Interesting that boutique offered you a discount!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2020, 11:08 PM   #25
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Call me quirky, but I won't play a grey against an AD. At least I wouldn't play hardball. If an SA at an AD treats me with respect, at least acknowledges that I can source a watch cheaper, knows his stuff and acknowledges that I know mine...I'll pay more. Maybe not retail, but I wouldn't beat him up for grey prices.

Agreed. It’s unrealistic to ask them to meet preowned or grey prices, just something to compensate for the value loss!

Old 12 February 2020, 11:09 PM   #26
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
Bought a Cartier for my partner last month

The AD emailed me last month asking me to get in touch if could help with anything else in 2020.

I emailed back that if they discounted me a Speedmaster at 20% - I’d come round at lunchtime & collect. They called back a few days & said 12% was best they would do. There are UK greys doing 20% & an 8% saving to much to give up to keep an AD sweet on an easy available watch to source/ buy

Wow!

Old 12 February 2020, 11:10 PM   #27
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Omega is a soft brand when it comes to retail as opposed to what you can get the watches for from an AD or a Grey. I have bought many over the years and have always received a significant discount. Some times when an AD will not meet my number or get real close I close the gap with straps. Typically I have found that the AD's are more generous with those items than giving a full 20% or more. In the end these items have a value and sometimes they will exceed the discount with them.

That’s a great idea - using the accessories to compensate. Good thinking!

Old 12 February 2020, 11:12 PM   #28
zorinindustries
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Unless your aim is to build a relationship to get hard to get LE pieces, there is no reason to buy from an OB in my opinion. ADs or grey will get you deep discounts w warranty cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Makes sense. I haven’t had much interest in their LE’s, so I don’t anticipate buying there. Mostly to look

Old 12 February 2020, 11:55 PM   #29
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlia0121 View Post
I was in the omega boutique this evening, and tried on one of the new Seamaster two tones. After leaving in seriously considering purchasing it, I checked Chrono24 and there are several for a good 25-30% below retail BNIB.

I have a buddy who purchased an omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich at full retail price. Moon phase and date complication. Realistically a great value for the complications. Yet, like many other Omegas it drops by $2,000 right out the door. 6,100 to $4000.

I know there’s a discussion of “value” and not buying a watch just because of its value. Still, I can’t bring myself to buy an omega at retail. Even BNIB Grey is usually 30% cheaper. If I’m wrong, please correct me, but yikes! I’ve never asked for a discount, because I assume it won’t approach grey prices. Anyone else feel this way?

Boutiques you’ll get maybe 5-10%, plus possibly they’ll eat the sales tax. Most authorized dealers will give at least 15%, but some will give 25-30%.

The only benefit from the boutiques are the experiences they’ll provide, both then and in the future. They make it more special up front, plus will invite you to certain events in the future.

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 12:53 AM   #30
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
You should be able to get 20-25% off at an AD pretty easily. I've never bought a new Omega for less than 20% off MSRP and that's always been from an AD.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote