The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2020, 04:50 AM   #61
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
“And just in case you were wondering i do accept monetary gifts....”

Perhaps she is simply joking around with you, but she is making herself almost sound like a hooker . . .

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 04:58 AM   #62
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ExplorerII View Post
I had my name on a waiting list for a 116610LV for about 8 months and the AD called me to let me know it was available. I’m from CA and the AD was in the Bahamas. I did a fair amount of due diligence and had the AD send me multiple pics with the date and my name handwritten on their business card. The service was great and I really appreciated them taking my long distance business but when I was expressing my gratitude during our correspondence the salesperson sent the following message: “And just in case you were wondering i do accept monetary gifts....

She did help me out and was pleasant to work with, but I also had to drop everything, wire cash the same day and grab a flight from CA to Nassau the following week. My question is: should I tip? If so, how much? It wasn’t too long ago that ADs were giving me gifts (and discounts) to purchase. Has the dynamic shifted? Anyone gift or tip their AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've sent a gift card to go out to dinner before
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 05:00 AM   #63
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
I sent my SA a Nordstrom gift card before Christmas only for her to return it to me because it’s their store policy not to accept any gifts from clients.

I was bummed because I was hoping she would get something for herself or her kids.

Next time I’ll just send them two dozens of KrispyKreme.
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 05:20 AM   #64
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
“And just in case you were wondering i do accept monetary gifts....”

Perhaps she is simply joking around with you, but she is making herself almost sound like a hooker . . .

This.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #65
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Nope.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:12 AM   #66
Statuswan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed_fan View Post
This is not meant as an insult to you but if a sales associate said something like that I would laugh in their face (after I had the watch in my possession of course). You are literally handing them thousands of dollars of hard earned money while they sit back and benefit from an endless stream of demand. It takes no skill to sell a product that benefits from structural under-supply so why would a tip be up for consideration. I know these watches are hard to get but have some dignity ffs.
This! The Rolex hype has gotten out of hand. Since when did a customer have to thank a company for allowing them to buy a mass produced product? Rolex has turned into the sneaker industry... Where i was once told I couldn't try on some shoes at footlocker cause they were Jordan's...ridiculous! But also I bought those Jordan's anyways, but I sure as shit wasn't going to tip the salesperson

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Statuswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #67
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
No.

I find that message "(we do accepts monetary gifts)" totally out of place and unprofessional.
Second this in a big way. Thats downright inappropriate. Now I dont see anything wrong with buying your AD an nice bottle of wine or chocolates as a thank you, but really shouldn't it be the other way around?
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 07:45 AM   #68
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I wouldn’t give anything after that message. I would’ve gave her a nice bottle of wine/champagne, and a thank you card, if she didn’t ask.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #69
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
When I recently picked up my 126710BLNR, I bought my AD a bottle of whiskey in a green and gold box that matched the Rolex colors. He loved it and hopefully remembers the little gesture next time a grail comes in.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:30 AM   #70
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Some of ya'll are really sick with this AD suck-up stuff. I've bought all of my watches from a well known trusted seller here (because the AD's I've visited have an 'attitude'). And not once did I have to kiss his butt or bring him chocolates & wine.
Littletommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:07 AM   #71
TNT009
"TRF" Member

If I get the watch I'm after, I'll definitely bring a bottle of wine!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:12 AM   #72
FATO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Then you should tip the sales person in the States more because the cost of living is much higher .

My point is to tip the SA’s and even more so the ones in the Bahamas. You just helped me prove my point. Thanks

FATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:53 AM   #73
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Considering they already charged you $120 to accept your wire transfer, I would syay that is tip enough.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 03:01 PM   #74
Shopguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Submariner
Maybe I'm missing something here. When I bought my boat the boat broker I dealt with gave me new docking fenders. When I bought my new car the salesman gave me a gift card to the best French restaurant in town. My investment broker takes me to lunch routinely. The common thread is they make money from my purchases made through them, and they give a bit back. It's called goodwill. I have patronized THEIR businesses.
But to solicit money -specifically money- from the purchaser? I don't understand that.
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 05:52 PM   #75
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
Considering they already charged you $120 to accept your wire transfer, I would syay that is tip enough.
When has wire transfers cost $120...?
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 06:42 PM   #76
Roli84
"TRF" Member

I too did bring a bottle of whisky and it was on the day of purchase. It wasn’t the hardest to find watch but for me the service was so good I felt it was fully deserved. I find the concept of tipping cash a bit crass.
Roli84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:02 PM   #77
FATO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopguy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here. When I bought my boat the boat broker I dealt with gave me new docking fenders. When I bought my new car the salesman gave me a gift card to the best French restaurant in town. My investment broker takes me to lunch routinely. The common thread is they make money from my purchases made through them, and they give a bit back. It's called goodwill. I have patronized THEIR businesses.
But to solicit money -specifically money- from the purchaser? I don't understand that.

Your boat and car and investment opportunity were readily available and there weren’t thousands of people waiting in line to buy them. Your realtor and car salesman or broker will change their tune if what they are selling are not readily available and desirable.

Old 17 February 2020, 09:23 PM   #78
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've heard of cow tipping but never AD tipping; they might get a bit peeved. Likely easier to sneak up on while they're asleep however. .

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:42 PM   #79
greengold
Banned

yea gave them a tray of krispy kreme when they pulled of my Hulk. Manager didnt look like she was sharing with the shop haha
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 09:44 PM   #80
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I let all of the SAs at my AD pick my brain for veterinary advice. Not random chit chat, but consults we normally charge for in the hospitals. Does that count?
In my book it does. Professional courtesies are a two way street.
Old 17 February 2020, 09:47 PM   #81
2024 Pledge Member

I tipped the AD owner's daughter a few times.

She turned out to be a gold digger.

Now I don't tip her.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:48 PM   #82
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Threads like this are emblematic of the desperation within the Rolex market. Pre-2016, a thread like this would have been written off as insanity, now it's accepted by some as proper buying practice.

I bought a Breitling in 2013 and received a complementary Breitling hat and follow-up phone call from my SA ensuring my satisfaction. In 2014 I bought a Royal Oak and likewise received a complementary AP hat. In neither transaction did I tip my SA, but they sure made it known that they were appreciative of my business.

Fast forward to 2018, I bought a 116519LN at list price, a watch that retails for 5x as much as the Breitling. No gift in the mail, no follow-up phone call, just a shallow "promise" that I would be eligible for a "hot" model now. I'm still waiting on that phone call 2 years later... Maybe I should send them a bribe in addition to my $30k?

In short, I think this current market insanity post-2016 has decimated the level of customer service at ADs. When times are good, ADs should be just as appreciative of business as when times are bad. In no circumstance should customers instead be the ones who pander for their AD's loyalty. It's a strange, upside down world we now live in.

Long story short, I would never tip (bribe) an AD. I'd instead take that money and call a trusted seller.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #83
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Anyone gift or tip their AD?

No reason to. They received a commission check for doing their job.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:19 AM   #84
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
I wouldn’t fly anywhere to buy a watch let alone float a gratuity.

Quote:
I had my name on a waiting list for a 116610LV for about 8 months and the AD called me to let me know it was available. I’m from CA and the AD was in the Bahamas. I did a fair amount of due diligence and had the AD send me multiple pics with the date and my name handwritten on their business card. The service was great and I really appreciated them taking my long distance business but when I was expressing my gratitude during our correspondence the salesperson sent the following message: “And just in case you were wondering i do accept monetary gifts....

She did help me out and was pleasant to work with, but I also had to drop everything, wire cash the same day and grab a flight from CA to Nassau the following week. My question is: should I tip? If so, how much? It wasn’t too long ago that ADs were giving me gifts (and discounts) to purchase. Has the dynamic shifted? Anyone gift or tip their AD?

Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 12:24 AM   #85
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Hahaha, I can’t even get an email back after recently telling my SA about my wife’s pregnancy and asking if there might be any chance a hulk might arrive sometime in the next 6 months that I could purchase as a commemorative. Worst case she could respond with a congrats.

I did also recently let her know that I wanted to buy a OP for my brothers wedding this year...she did respond to that one, go figure. Pass I will get the OP at a better price gray market.

It’s a two way street and I have a long memory. The dealers can have it good now but I think they are being short sighted if they are not implementing great customer service (even if just communication because they can’t get a person the watch they want) When the market shifts people will remember being blown off

With all this being said if I felt like the sales person really stepped up for me yeah maybe I would drop a thank you card with a gift cert but not for putting me in a multi year holding pattern then finally coming through..that doesn’t merit anything extra.

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 02:45 AM   #86
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Threads like this are emblematic of the desperation within the Rolex market. Pre-2016, a thread like this would have been written off as insanity, now it's accepted by some as proper buying practice.

I bought a Breitling in 2013 and received a complementary Breitling hat and follow-up phone call from my SA ensuring my satisfaction. In 2014 I bought a Royal Oak and likewise received a complementary AP hat. In neither transaction did I tip my SA, but they sure made it known that they were appreciative of my business.

Fast forward to 2018, I bought a 116519LN at list price, a watch that retails for 5x as much as the Breitling. No gift in the mail, no follow-up phone call, just a shallow "promise" that I would be eligible for a "hot" model now. I'm still waiting on that phone call 2 years later... Maybe I should send them a bribe in addition to my $30k?

In short, I think this current market insanity post-2016 has decimated the level of customer service at ADs. When times are good, ADs should be just as appreciative of business as when times are bad. In no circumstance should customers instead be the ones who pander for their AD's loyalty. It's a strange, upside down world we now live in.

Long story short, I would never tip (bribe) an AD. I'd instead take that money and call a trusted seller.
Well said.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 03:01 AM   #87
Ragna
Banned

Anyone ever tipped or gifted an AD?

Is she cute ?

Oh.. just read your comment saying youre married.

Forget it, then.

..Just kidding..

Well.. maybe some nice coffee or chocolate box.

I wouldnt be gifting bottles cause they might have a room full of that already.

Just saying..
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 03:09 AM   #88
Shopguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATO View Post
Your boat and car and investment opportunity were readily available

Really? I had no idea.
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 12:33 AM   #89
Ragna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post

Wow. Good point.

This comment should be a sticky.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 02:45 AM   #90
FATO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopguy View Post
Really? I had no idea.

That’s my point..YOU have “no idea”!