The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17 February 2020, 01:33 AM   #121
Jg422
"TRF" Member

3m tape on the clasp is a lot worse looking than scratches that no one notices on a clasp that’s going to get scratched. Sorry to sound insensitive to your situation but man up and wear the watch or sell it to someone who will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2020, 01:34 AM   #122
Jg422
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
And apparently you have ADD.

No I don’t have ADD, but every thread on this forum is the same these days

Old 17 February 2020, 01:36 AM   #123
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I 100% agree with you that the AD should never scratch a watch like that. Unfortunately, if it were me I’d probably do nothing and live to fight another day though. Unless polishing was an option, which I’d be fine with. Nut otherwise... I’d just move on. It’s too much trouble for a few small scratches on a clasp.

One time I was absolutely positively sure that my AD dinged one of my Pateks when changing a strap. I thought long and hard about saying something and I almost did. But decided to swallow it and move on. Then one day I was looking at old pictures and I noticed the scratch on the watch. The picture was taken before my AD visit! Boy and I glad I didn’t say anything!
Great story. I also thought a jeweler scratched one of my PP changing a strap. But was not certain, so I never said a word. I could have dinged it in the car just prior, who really knows when these things happen.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:37 AM   #124
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
As unfortunate as this is, you’ve really laid out some criteria that makes a reasonable solution impossible.
Agreed. I'd expect the AD would apologize and offer to polish, which to many of us would be a reasonable resolution. I wouldn't feel comfortable even asking for more, assuming it was just an honest mistake on their part.

Curious to hear if the OP has gone back to the store yet and how things went
Old 17 February 2020, 01:39 AM   #125
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I think it is the responsibility of the dealership to fix the problem. When you bring a watch to an AD you should expect certain care; original parts, Rolex tools, Rolex trained repairs. I always ask if the watchmaker is in before I allow my watch to be sized or clasp to be tightened.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:40 AM   #126
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg422 View Post
No I don’t have ADD, but every thread on this forum is the same these days

Yes. Apparently you didn’t read his original post. At least not entirely. If you had you would’ve never commented on this thread unless it was to just be mean.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 17 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #127
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If that were me on a brand new watch, I would have the AD order a new clasp and swap them.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:43 AM   #128
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Here are a couple of more photos, when the light is not hitting it, it disappears. Hope this gives you a better idea.see how it disappears? That gives you an idea that it is not terribly deep.
Now you have all that adhesive residue all over the clasp in the ridges. I would reconsider this whole taping thing. Do you think Sean Connery, Paul Newman or Steve McQueen put tape on their clasps? Just food for thought.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:46 AM   #129
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
Agreed. I'd expect the AD would apologize and offer to polish, which to many of us would be a reasonable resolution. I wouldn't feel comfortable even asking for more, assuming it was just an honest mistake on their part.

Curious to hear if the OP has gone back to the store yet and how things went
I agree with you 100%. I think that would fix the problem completely and make everyone happy except the OP won’t accept a quick touch up polish of which we all know would fix it 100%. So we have a big problem. The OP it’s right to be upset and expect the AD to fix the situation however his expectations are too high IMO. This is a white Daytona which as we all know is the most difficult (or one of them) Rolex piece to get so a new watch is out of the question. Also a private AD shouldn’t have to absorb a $700 loss when literally it won’t harm the watch and only take a moment to buff that out. I will be interested to see how this is resolved.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 17 February 2020, 01:48 AM   #130
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
What model Rolex is it ?

116500 That he got from AD yesterday @MSRP
Old 17 February 2020, 01:53 AM   #131
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
"Pick your battles" comes to mind here.
Old 17 February 2020, 01:56 AM   #132
crbrown
"TRF" Member

I think the OP should live with his mistake in not thoroughly checking the watch before leaving if he is as concerned as stated. It was his decision to also wear the watch out of the store allowing for the possibility for this “damage”.

I appreciate his wishes and desires but at the end of the day there is equal opportunity it was his actions that may have caused the hairline blemish.as the AD. This is a lesson for him to think about and move on.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:02 AM   #133
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
@crbrown, very deep and very real. Amen!
Old 17 February 2020, 02:08 AM   #134
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

I think most ADs would try to make it right especially being a good customer. But it will be up to them to determine what “make it right” means. They will probably say a light polish or maybe be a little nicer and say a replacement at cost. From there, it is up to the OP to accept or move on.
Since polish is not acceptable, a replacement clasp at cost seems reasonable. The AD is still trying to make it right and also offers less cost to make it perfect while satisfying all the criteria. But for the AD to pay for the entire clasp seems quite a bit to ask.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:13 AM   #135
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:

OP , I’ll take it off your hands for what you paid! Wait for another and size it yourself. Problem solved !

Old 17 February 2020, 02:17 AM   #136
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I would have the AD just polish it since it is on the clasp and all would be good .
Old 17 February 2020, 02:29 AM   #137
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Since your requirements dont allow a polish buy a new one. Honestly if I was the AD I would refund you for the watch and never deal with you. I bet you wont sell it at MSRP
Concur. Then, the dealer could flip it on the low and make a profit, and not have to deal with a customer whose expectations are not reasonable, win/win. If they can do that, of course. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs.

The OP is rightfully upset. I would be too if the AD made scratches on my watch. I don't mind scratches on my watch as long as I make them. However, what will make him feel whole again, is not reasonable. He either has to adjust his expectations, or sell the watch.

In this situation, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. If this was me, I would go to the AD, explain the situation as I see it, and ask for it to be polished out. I would not be willing to throw away a relationship built over the transactions of several pieces and thousands of dollars over a scratch.

This hits home for me. I lost a relationship with a store (several previous purchases) the other day. A sales associate got nasty with my wife and I at a boutique and lost our business forever over something very minor. It's very unfortunate, as I like the place and MOST of the people there.

Just think about it, OP. It's hard to un-ring that bell and usually, not worth it.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:32 AM   #138
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Yet you failed to carefully inspect the watch after they sized it? Makes no sense. I think you’re on your own here and can’t feel that your AD owes you anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Believe it or not, I was literally telling my SA how anal I was, and how I put plastic on my watches because I'm against polishing and they said how they ASVISE AGAINST IT TOO. It's all pretty interesting and slightly unfortunate
Old 17 February 2020, 02:34 AM   #139
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Indeed! The secret of life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
"Pick your battles" comes to mind here.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:38 AM   #140
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
The scratch seems pretty shallow. I know you don't want to polish but what else can you do other than living with it or buying a clasp ? Since you left the store, I doubt they will offer a remedy.
FWIW, I purchased a TT GMTc and it was scratched while being sized. Like you, I noticed after I got home. I sent it to the RSC and they polished if free of charge. I wouldn't worry about polishing the clasp. It's not like the case where chamfers and profile can be affected.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:44 AM   #141
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

It would certainly bother me, someone else damaged your property. There is a big difference between you doing and someone else. I would ask for some sort of compensation, whether it's a discount off service another watch or jewelry. They are not likely to replace it, although I think they should.
Old 17 February 2020, 02:58 AM   #142
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
At the price you paid I'd take a Daytona with no bracelet.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:02 AM   #143
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

In terms of not knowing for sure, I am absolutely, categorically positive that the watch left the ad like this. I was wearing a long-sleeve very soft material shirt, I drove home which is about five minutes away, and I carefully placed the watch in my drawer. That's it. The watch was then taken out for 3M therapy.

Please bear in mind. I have some all saints jackets, favorite denim shirts, and various other clothing that have buttons and rivets that I have not worn for several years in order to safeguard against scratches on links and plc's. Sad? Maybe, to a degree, but I am just wanting to express to some of you the nature and extent of how careful I am.

Lastly, the sizing took an unreasonably long time that when she came back without the watch, I jokingly made a comment, what's taking so long, you didn't mess it up did you? she had said that she is having problems and is simply going to wait for it technician, because one of the screws is not easily undone.

now you may be thinking, oh my God, you had a reasonable suspicion that something's wrong and you didn't thoroughly check it? Yes, that is correct, given the relationship, which does have some cultural aspects, I would be embarrassed to start investigating a detail every each of the watch in front of her face, and I just wanted to relax, enjoy my watch and be happy.

I know that if I don't bring it up to them, I won't be happy about it. At the very least I should talk to them about it and see what they say or what resolution they propose, like so many members here suggested I do. Ultimately, it's not the end of the world, and at the very least, it's a mental exercise for me which may help for other aspects of my life. Hope that makes sense.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:06 AM   #144
2024 Pledge Member

FWIW, your AD already put you $10k ahead by selling you the watch.

I'd still pick my battles. They might not sell you more if you prove to be a hassle.

Good luck.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:10 AM   #145
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
How cringe looking to put tape on a brand new Rolex, I much prefer the scratch.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:12 AM   #146
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I’m sorry - but what do you want people to say? You said you aren’t looking for re-assurance or that it’s ok - and going to happen ANYWAY if you’re going to wear and enjoy your watch. So what are you looking for? Fuel to go back to your AD and point a finger at them for something they might have done? Cmon.

Furthermore - what would you like them to do? They just sold you one of (if not the) hardest To get, and most sought after watches on the planet.

I am very careful with my watches as well. All of them, from Rolex to Patek - but I wear them, enjoy them and understand that scratches are just going to happen. I don’t like polishing either - except at service time...which is rare.

If you have those types of concerns when at the AD etc, why didn't you inspect your watch before you left and addressed then? Even if you did, they would simply buff it out and that’s it. They’re not going to get you a new clasp.

Not trying to be overly critical, but I don’t know what you’re end game is here. If you simply can’t deal with it, go get your money back and move on.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:24 AM   #147
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Sure, they might do you a favor if you lean hard enough or are a really good customer. But once you leave the store, even if you did stick your hand in cotton candy and bubble wrap, you’ve lost proximate cause. Whether you want to spend your capital/time/impact on reputation is up to you.

I think, buy a new clasp, keep it in frozen carbonite, and wear the damaged clasp as a beater- tape free. The original clasp picks up wear and tear with a minty sibling in the wings.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:33 AM   #148
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Yeah, I would bring the issue with your AD asap but I very much doubt they will replace the clasp at their expense. If they offer you some sort of boutique discount on your next purchase, I would take it as a win and live with the scratches.
Old 17 February 2020, 03:36 AM   #149
Bobby T
Banned

Funny how the OP request help from TRF members as to "how to proceed" yet lists responses he doesn't want to read........."like, get over it, it was bound to happen anyway, you're being OCD, it's just a watch , it gives character battle scars, etc. Also lists remedies which he refuses to consider.........."Things that are not an option: Polishing or buffing it out" yet, uses 3M tape for protection and never spoke up while at the AD..........umbelievable!!
Old 17 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #150
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
Funny how the OP request help from TRF members as to "how to proceed" yet lists responses he doesn't want to read........."like, get over it, it was bound to happen anyway, you're being OCD, it's just a watch , it gives character battle scars, etc. Also lists remedies which he refuses to consider.........."Things that are not an option: Polishing or buffing it out" yet, uses 3M tape for protection and never spoke up while at the AD..........umbelievable!!
I regret that you are so upset. Thank you for your input
Closed Thread