The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2023, 01:29 AM   #1
brandtflakes
"TRF" Member

Rolex running faster after being opened by Rolex ASC

In April, I purchased my first Rolex, a 2005 Explorer 114270, from Hodinkee. When I got it, it was running approximately +2 or 3 seconds per day. A few months later in July, I left the crown open all day and got paranoid that water may have gotten in, so I stopped by Wempe in NYC to chat with their authorized Rolex service department. The person I spoke to told me that it's unlikely water got in even with the crown open, but that if I had 10 minutes or so he could open my watch and check for signs of water, and even heat up the movement to evaporate any water that may have gotten inside. So, I gave him my watch and 10 minutes later got it back with the all-clear; he didn't see any signs of water.

Since then, my watch now runs at around +5 or 6 seconds. I guess this is still within COSC spec, however it's a noticeable difference from before he opened it. My question is: should I take it back there and see if they can adjust it, or leave it alone until its next service (I was planning on getting it serviced in 2025). Is it likely that any permanent damage was done?

Thanks.
brandtflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 01:45 AM   #2
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtflakes View Post
In April, I purchased my first Rolex, a 2005 Explorer 114270, from Hodinkee. When I got it, it was running approximately +2 or 3 seconds per day. A few months later in July, I left the crown open all day and got paranoid that water may have gotten in, so I stopped by Wempe in NYC to chat with their authorized Rolex service department. The person I spoke to told me that it's unlikely water got in even with the crown open, but that if I had 10 minutes or so he could open my watch and check for signs of water, and even heat up the movement to evaporate any water that may have gotten inside. So, I gave him my watch and 10 minutes later got it back with the all-clear; he didn't see any signs of water.

Since then, my watch now runs at around +5 or 6 seconds. I guess this is still within COSC spec, however it's a noticeable difference from before he opened it. My question is: should I take it back there and see if they can adjust it, or leave it alone until its next service (I was planning on getting it serviced in 2025). Is it likely that any permanent damage was done?

Thanks.
I’d just leave it alone. Still within spec and it may settle out over time. Even if there was some damage RSC replaces any wear parts included in their movement service when you do it in the future.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 02:04 AM   #3
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
just leave it alone and wear it in good health
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 02:21 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Glad to hear there were no signs of water and the movement did not need to be heated.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 02:30 AM   #5
brandtflakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Glad to hear there were no signs of water and the movement did not need to be heated.
I believe he did heat up the movement, which is what I'm assuming may have caused this change in accuracy.
Old 6 September 2023, 02:32 AM   #6
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Do you really care if the watch is 2-3 minutes fast after an entire month? Personally, I would leave it and maybe hack the movement every so often if you must be exact. The best thing I did was stop sweating over spd and just wear my watches.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 02:42 AM   #7
brandtflakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Do you really care if the watch is 2-3 minutes fast after an entire month? Personally, I would leave it and maybe hack the movement every so often if you must be exact. The best thing I did was stop sweating over spd and just wear my watches.
It's not so much the 2-3 minutes per month that concerns me, it's more my anxiety that I allowed them to open (and heat up) a perfectly fine watch and now it's not running as well as it did prior. If the consensus here is that no permanent damage was done to the movement, I'd be fine with that and live with it until its next service.
Old 6 September 2023, 03:06 AM   #8
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Take it in and have them adjust. When got my Sub...it was running -2-3 seconds slow, i called the cerified Rolex watchman and he said better to run faster than slower....so he adjusted...2-3 is okay...anything more than that...let him adjust...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 03:07 AM   #9
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Agree just live with it and it may settle down. Even so just hack it at 1 minute slow and repeat when it gets to 1 minute fast if you care
Rolexken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 03:09 AM   #10
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Take it back, explain that it’s faster, than before it was checked. Hopefully, they will readjust it, without charge.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 03:11 AM   #11
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Now that's weird, I've never heard of anybody "heating up the movement" before! But as others have posted, just wear and enjoy your Sub, and try not to obsess about accuracy to the second. I think your Sub is running fine, and anyway running slightly fast is way better than running slow, imho! But you could always take it back and ask them to check the time keeping and sort it out, if it bothers you. And quite honestly, a 2005 watch is really due for a service...
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 03:16 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d leave it alone and see if it settles in.

Personally it wouldn’t bother me, and I’d wait for routine service
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 03:43 AM   #13
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
When you're not wearing it, rest it with the winding crown side down. That may slow it down a +-couple of seconds a day.
al503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 03:57 AM   #14
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Heat may have "loosened " the 2005 oil in the movement, making it thinner. Could explain it.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 04:30 AM   #15
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

OP, you left the crown open all day a thought you got water in it? What were you doing thst day?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote