The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 December 2017, 09:10 PM   #1
Lambchop
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Help me buy a 1979 GMT Pepsi please!

Hi guys

Begging post take 2. Rookie mistake from me posted a link in here without having the magical 10 post count so the whole lot was lost :(

I got over excited because my chrono 24 email has just informed me of a nice watch. I look daily through the forums/internet looking desperately for my holy grail of a Pepsi GMT in my birth year of 79.

So today's watch:
https://www.chrono24.com.au/rolex/19...rm=AdImageLink

It's listed as a 1980 but the 6.2M serial number must indicate a 1979 build.

Please help me decipher the right and the wrong. I read many posts on here and see some rather clever people pointing out 'faults' or differences in watches that my untrained eye just does not see.

It's listed as original bezel, movement and bracelet. Is that correct?

I've never looked in to clasp codes before but it's showing U1 which I now see from a google search must be a later replacement?

Is the matte dial more desirable or was it the only one available on this early 16750?

Are the hands etc original?

Is there anything untoward that anyone can point out or anything unoriginal I should know about?

So long as the watch is in good and pretty original condition and a confirmed 79 then I don't require it to have papers or box.

The price is:
10,800 euros
£9,497
USD $12,713
AUD $16,923

From my previous searching it seems a reasonable price? Perhaps a little more than I want to pay but originality might be worth it?

I'm going to try and factor in a Rolex Service to the purchase price. In a service would they try and replace anything there that then the purist originality would be gone? Is it better to let them polish or not? Or personal preference?

I just want a good clean version of my favourite watch an this looks nice. I'm a Scotsman living in Australia so can't exactly go and see the watch. I would have it sent to a friend in Scotland who would confirm it is genuine.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm DESPERATE for the right watch and don't want to post pics up for people to point out things I should really already know.

Thanks

Steve
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Lambchop
"TRF" Member

Also, do Rolex keep service records from serial number?
Old 10 December 2017, 02:56 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Looks like a nice GMT 16750. The U clasp code is from 1997.

If you are buying outside of your home country, be aware of import taxes and the consequences if it is lost or stolen while being shipped.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 04:20 AM   #4
exador
Banned

“NOS” yeah right...a bracelet 17 years younger than the watch and no box and papers?

You”ll be up for 10% GST on combined watch and shipping total plus around $70 for “paperwork”.

A service at Rolex Sydney would be around $1100. They won’t polish or replace anything if you ask them not to.

P.S. Mine says “Hello”.

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 04:29 AM   #5
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
The watch is nice but not new old stock as advertised

It's obviously been polished & has several service marks inside case back.
But it is a pretty example & I think from a trusted seller.

Good Luck
Justin
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Lambchop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Looks like a nice GMT 16750. The U clasp code is from 1997.

If you are buying outside of your home country, be aware of import taxes and the consequences if it is lost or stolen while being shipped.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen other posts you make and you are very knowledgeable!
The watch will be sent to the UK where it will stay until I go and get it or someone brings it to me so no problem there.

Is it just the clasp from 97 or the entire bracelet? Any comments on the dial, hands, bezel?
Is the watch worth the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
“NOS” yeah right...a bracelet 17 years younger than the watch and no box and papers?

You”ll be up for 10% GST on combined watch and shipping total plus around $70 for “paperwork”.

A service at Rolex Sydney would be around $1100. They won’t polish or replace anything if you ask them not to.

P.S. Mine says “Hello”.

What a beauty

Like I said above don’t worry about import taxes. The service will also get done at Rolex UK.

And as said, is it the clasp or whole bracelet that’s been changed? Does it detract from a nice watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaumburgla View Post
It's obviously been polished & has several service marks inside case back.
But it is a pretty example & I think from a trusted seller.

Good Luck
Justin
Thanks for the reply.

Can you educate me on why it’s obviously been polished please? I’m not sure this bothers me as I would polish it in a service. I guess it’s an issue if parts get worn down too much.
I wondered what the inner markings were so if they are service then that’s cool.

So what’s she worth guys?

Thanks

Steve