The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 December 2017, 07:36 AM   #1
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Expert help on this 1665

I am interested in buying a nice 1665 and have found this one for sale. I believe it is an original, untouched MK1 dial, with original hands and T39 dome crystal, serial number 5.3M. The bezel insert is a newer insert with tritium pearl, and it is offered on a newer bracelet. I am new to the vintage market and would really appreciate help confirming authenticity of this watch and any comments would be welcomed. Also, I would appreciate feedback regarding pricing of this piece. I don't think it is appropriate to publicly discuss prices on the forum, so please email any thoughts on pricing to:
bradandsuzi@gmail.com
Thanks for reading.
https://imgur.com/a/2a2Mi
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 05:58 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a nice watch . Untouched seems like a tall claim but those blurry shots of the lugs don't exactly help....but I wouldn't think this looks unpolished/untouched (from what I can see on the crown guards and lugs). Service insert as you said but the dial looks like a good mk1. Hard to ascertain if it's an original t39 with this many service parts but the crystal is definitely domed. Pricing....that is tough to answer, but no doubt these are crawling up as well.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 08:04 AM   #3
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

I meant that the dial and hands were untouched. I don't know the history, but imagine the case was probably polished at some time.
Old 11 December 2017, 09:18 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Not crazy about those crown guards. They’re polished almost to a point. Rest looks OK, other than what’s been mentioned. For me, a fat chunky case is so important on these old SDs. Polished is OK, but it’s how it’s been polished that can make or break a sale.

What’s the asking price?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2017, 09:22 AM   #5
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

I haven't seen the watch in person, I've only seen the pics I've shared. The crown guards do look pointy in the second pic, but not the others. I wonder if it is just the lighting or angle of the pic? What do you think? As for price, asking ~$15K.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:23 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyt09 View Post
I haven't seen the watch in person, I've only seen the pics I've shared. The crown guards do look pointy in the second pic, but not the others. I wonder if it is just the lighting or angle of the pic? What do you think? As for price, asking ~$15K.
Also note the lower right lug, with the pin that's almost sticking out the lug hole. That could be a result of an incorrect pin or an indication of an over-polished lug.

I'd ask to see the watch in person, or at least for a no-hassle 3-day return policy if you don't like the watch once in hand. Many good dealers offer that, as long as you pay for shipping.

If the crown guards don't bother you and you like everything else about the watch, then the price seems reasonable. Certain things are more important to different hobbyists. Good luck either way.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 03:23 AM   #7
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Hi Aaron, that's a good observation. I really appreciate your input and the input of others on this forum. I have only recently become interested in the vintage Rolex market, and I am amazed by the difficulties and nuances in buying vintage. There are some great people out there and this community is incredibly helpful, but buyer beware! It can be a very tough market, especially for the neophyte.