The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Icon14 Richemont Northern Europe Report

After sending off my very special-to-me 217 to the Richemont Northern Europe GmbH service center München, I came across a lot of Service-center horror stories... talk about an unnerving experience! I decided right then and there I'd report my own first encounter, be it good or bad... so here it is.

Request: Full Service
Transfer method: via my 2nd-hand / grey dealer (never dealt with RSC prior to this transaction
Time required: 9 weeks (incl dealer handling)
Cost: €340 (roughly $460)

I had just purchased the 217 from my dealer; it had one owner (known to my dealer) and it was well worn, to be sure, but not abused. It was losing on average -12/s daily. The dial and hands were mint, the movement as well. There was some gunk in between the crystal and upper bezel. The crystal's outer surface had one scuff mark close to 12. Scratches from surface to deeper nicks everywhere (as I said, well worn...). I decided to have it sent to RSC because it's a seven-year old watch and I wanted to have the gaskets swapped out, the movement revitalized and well yeah, the ultimate proof of an OEM PAM... !

I spoke to my dealer only once during the process - namely to confirm that the SC had received my watch. We were both perturbed that 10 business days had gone by and still no indication that the SC had taken receipt of the package. It turns out the SC has sent a letter but my dealer never received it. A 2nd letter arrived a few days later. The Service center has no email contact option and only accepts phone calls and only communicates through letters... a bit harsh in today's electronic-run world, but fine.

The watch arrived after 9weeks and both my dealer as well as I were pretty amazed of the short duration and reasonable invoice. I had my Chronoswiss fully-serviced locally in Vienna and it cost me €280, so €340 is VERY reasonable, coming from Richemont!!! We were also both impressed with the delivery method; Now's a good time to inform you that I suffer from OCD big-time. so imagine how thrilled I was to see both the standard RSC case as well as the sealed watch inside...

Accompanying the watch was the paperwork including this (sorry, German only)...:

So far, so good (damn good, as a matter of fact!) I did a quick inspection at my dealer with his 4x loupe in rather lousy "show-room-deco" lighting and noted a few micro nicks / hairline scratches on the hands, otherwise the dial itself was perfect (*breathes sigh of relief*). The movement looked great and the case looked a lot better than it did on the way in. A few of the deeper case / bezel / crown-guard nicks were still present, which I was glad to see (read: they didn't polish it to death). But polish they did, even the OEM buckle (nice!) Speaking of polishing, they apparently polished the crystal... ?!? The scuff-mark that once was, was no more... . Reading the above list of items covered by a full service, I was impressed to see that they not only inspect the crystal, but the AR-coating too... (nice!)

No-loupe Verdict: A-
(or a 1 using the EU standards)
Reason, the edges of the CG had an odd "sheen" to it in certain lighting as they brushed / retouched the edges after the face (surface). A few days later I had to opportunity to photograph it. What my inherit OCD doesn't catch will be caught by my macro lens... no way around that. A blemish not visible to the eye becomes a real headache when the time comes to take photographs... .

OCD Verdict: B-
(or a 2 using the EU standards).
Here's one pic of areas that took a hit; the CG was worse off, the mvmt had one micro scuff-mark near a main platine screw, otherwise debris from the outside world and/or excess lubrication?

The nicks on the hands (and yes, the few obligatory dust specs...) are not visible to the unaided eye but admitting, look scary if probed in specific lighting with a 6x loupe.
But these close-up (not macro) photos didn't reveal them so I am not going to sweat it...

click-the-pics for hi-res goodness

Final Verdict
In fact, the above two photos elicit quite the opposite reaction... they just make me grin from ear to ear, happy that my 217 is back on my wrist!!! Considering the quick turnaround, the reasonable price, the err, minimal damage* and for the most part, like-new case / bezel finish, I have to say that is was a positive experience!
*Insert Shit-happens-clause here, valid for all houses at one time or other, including PP, Rolex...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nice and thorough report, thanks. The price (definitely the price) and quick turnaround I imagine go a long way to making up for what you consider to be minor issues.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 11:20 AM   #3
U Boat
"TRF" Member

Watch: U Boat
Did you take pictures of the watch before you sent it? Just curious if they were there before you sent it in. Sometimes a case refinishing can be more through job than you wanted, But for the most part, a cleaning and case refinishing come back pretty decent.

Glad you had good results, as sometimes things don't come back as good as you hoped.
Time wise, it sounds really impressive, as my last one was over 2 months. So it seems results my vary....
U Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2014, 01:23 PM   #4
bry
"TRF" Member

Great write up! Thanks for sharing your good experience.

bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by U Boat View Post
Did you take pictures of the watch before you sent it?
Seriously... ?

It would be inadvisable for anyone to post such comments without doing a formal A/B comparison... .
I didn't bother to mention that because most members here know my passion for photography...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2014, 08:56 PM   #6
wmh2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex/PAM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Looks great back on your wrist!
wmh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2014, 11:59 PM   #7
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
As always, a very thorough write up with details and photos as supporting evidence. I expected nothing less. Cheers and of course, the 217 looks great back on your wrist.

Wants to run the big machine
DiverAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 12:32 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Nice review glad the results were positive!
Pics were exceptional & showed only a magnificent watch:)

Just a small fyi to avoid confusion, RSC is only for Rolex, i guess for pam you mean you sent it to "OPSC" ?

Old 17 April 2014, 12:56 AM   #9
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Nice review glad the results were positive!
Pics were exceptional & showed only a magnificent watch:)

Just a small fyi to avoid confusion, RSC is only for Rolex, i guess for pam you mean you sent it to "OPSC"

I saw that as well. I took it to be the Richemont Service Center.

Wants to run the big machine
DiverAsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 01:05 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverAsia View Post
I saw that as well. I took it to be the Richemont Service Center.

Didn't realize Richemont serviced all their brands under 1 roof?
Interesting, makes financial sense