The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 19 December 2016, 05:38 AM   #301
jatco
2017 Batman Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/Tudor79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by edamato View Post
Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!Hello. I don't know how to work this forum i am trying to buy my future son in law a watch winder for a rolex watch his dad bought for him. We know nothing about rolex and my daughter told us he needs a winder. Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense. Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Don't buy a cheap winder. They can do more damage than good. Expect to pay over $100 for a good one. Wolfe Design sells good winders...

There are a lot of posts about winders on this forum. You can do a search on the homepage.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
Hello Edamato...
Being new to Rolex is an adventure in itself. You say "Its a rolex oyster perpetual datejust if that makes sense ".., which of course it does to those who know about them..- but, do you really need a watch winder..?? If he's going to wear the watch with any kind of regularity, you probably won't need a winder. Wearing it winds it. There are Many on this site who have numerous time pieces that don't use a winder. I don't..( tho I only have 2 that are mechanical..).. - Don't spend the money if you don't need to.. Just have him wear and enjoy the watch..!! If the winder is just for gift sake purposes.., then as Vanessa mentions, there are a lot of posts about winders..!
Good luck

-ROLEX, - It doesn’t just tell time, It tells history.” -
- "There is no such thing as an Unassisted Goal"
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." -A. Einstein

....* Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons * #34257
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2017, 12:06 AM   #302
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor-2 Rolex-0.05
So is it worth to pay Rolex price to service a Tudor ETA 2824?

Very informative thread, I have learned a lot, thanks Vanessa!

So, a few months ago I purchased a vintage Tudor 74000N ("mini Ranger") circa 1998. The watch is mint, came with box and papers, like it was on a time capsule or rarely worn...Unfortunately no service records.

The watch keeps awesome time +1-2 secs/day, and the timegrapher data looks great. I even did a simple pressure test and it passed. From this data I can conclude it does not needs to be serviced but since it's a 19 year old watch I want to have it checked by a Pro...

Called my local Rolex certified watchmaker and they told me the service would be $600! Wow, this is quite steep for an ETA based watch! I mean I can source 2 new Top grade movements with this money... So, when the time for a service comes, what would you recommend? I have the choice of an alternative watchmaker, non Rolex certified that would charge much less...
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 07:04 AM   #303
SilverBack_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi Z
Wow! The post is a real eye opener. The service seems like a bargain now.

I agree with some of the other posters about a loaner watch while being serviced!
SilverBack_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 08:38 PM   #304
jaisonline
2017 Batman Pledge Member

Many thanks to @vanessa.cw21 who helped me with servicing my Tudor Chrono 79280p. The dial was also replaced with another original one.
She was great throughout the process (especially communication). Everything done was exactly how she described it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (89.0 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (72.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.jpg (69.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (62.6 KB, 189 views)
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2017, 10:37 AM   #305
Wine&watches
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Rolex service

Amen your hired!
Wine&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 03:31 AM   #306
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: <♕>
Wow, that was a very informative post. The video is so interesting to watch!
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 02:01 PM   #307
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 114270
Can anyone advise if every gasket "must" be changed during service on a Sub, or is it ok if only worn gaskets are changed and the watch passes pressure check? Reason I ask is that my local watchmaker, who is Rolex trained and certified, finished servicing mine...only replaced the case back gasket, and said the other gaskets were in excellent condition (pliable, well lubricated, etc.).
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
Hamilton Intramatic 38mm
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 10:39 PM   #308
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor-2 Rolex-0.05
Gaskets (crown, case back, and crystal) should always be changed during service. They are very easy to replace and quite cheap. Even if they look ok they may have slight damage or deterioration. It is a very cheap insurance to prevent water or moisture from getting into the case and cause internal damage to you movement, dial or hands.
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 10:47 PM   #309
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
Can anyone advise if every gasket "must" be changed during service on a Sub, or is it ok if only worn gaskets are changed and the watch passes pressure check? Reason I ask is that my local watchmaker, who is Rolex trained and certified, finished servicing mine...only replaced the case back gasket, and said the other gaskets were in excellent condition (pliable, well lubricated, etc.).

Our watchmaker, a Rolex trained and CMW21 certified always changes all of the gaskets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2017, 12:44 AM   #310
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 114270
Ok, thanks guys.
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
Hamilton Intramatic 38mm
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote