The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2017, 01:40 PM   #91
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Picked up a bag of Death Wish coffee purely out of interest. It's supposed to have 2x the caffeine.

The roasting date is not mentioned on the bag, but the beans seems reasonably fresh. The coffee is a very dark roast and has a strong, mildly bitter flavor - like a piece of unsweetened chocolate. I actually like it (not a fan of light/fruity/acidic coffee).

I cannot quantify the caffeine content, but the coffee does seem to be stronger than normal coffee. Best case scenario, it really does have 2x the caffeine. Worst case, it's just a strong cup of coffee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0948 (1).jpg (79.5 KB, 260 views)
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 08:25 PM   #92
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Ha! That really would be a 'Death Wish' for me.
As much as I love my Espresso I have to limit myself to a max of 3 shots a day as any more and I get 'palpitations' and other unpleasant side effects.
I have a mate who weighs about 20 stone and he can drink as much coffee as he likes without any noticeable effect.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2017, 08:45 PM   #93
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Picked up a bag of Death Wish coffee purely out of interest. It's supposed to have 2x the caffeine.

The roasting date is not mentioned on the bag, but the beans seems reasonably fresh. The coffee is a very dark roast and has a strong, mildly bitter flavor - like a piece of unsweetened chocolate. I actually like it (not a fan of light/fruity/acidic coffee).

I cannot quantify the caffeine content, but the coffee does seem to be stronger than normal coffee. Best case scenario, it really does have 2x the caffeine. Worst case, it's just a strong cup of coffee.
Are they comparing Arabica to Robusta? Robusta is just about twice the caffeine as Arabica. Arabica generally has a more complex flavor profile (more lipids and sugars in the bean) and tends to make a better cup of drip coffee (not espresso), which is why most of the coffee in the supermarket is Arabica.

Robusta usually has a stronger flavor, but a longer roast on Arabica will produce the profile you have.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 01:47 AM   #94
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Enjoying a caramel macchiato::
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0525.jpg (41.5 KB, 247 views)
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 02:32 AM   #95
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Ha! That really would be a 'Death Wish' for me.
As much as I love my Espresso I have to limit myself to a max of 3 shots a day as any more and I get 'palpitations' and other unpleasant side effects.
I have a mate who weighs about 20 stone and he can drink as much coffee as he likes without any noticeable effect.
I drink a lot of drip coffee and espresso. The caffeine definitely hits me, it just takes a while. I am trying to scale back though. For a while, I was really going overboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Are they comparing Arabica to Robusta? Robusta is just about twice the caffeine as Arabica. Arabica generally has a more complex flavor profile (more lipids and sugars in the bean) and tends to make a better cup of drip coffee (not espresso), which is why most of the coffee in the supermarket is Arabica.

Robusta usually has a stronger flavor, but a longer roast on Arabica will produce the profile you have.
I'm pretty sure this is an arabica/robusta blend.
Old 16 April 2017, 12:26 PM   #96
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Wes - I agree it is probably a good idea to keep your consumption within reasonable bounds. You can develop an increased tolerance over time but the fact that the caffeine works to elevate heart rate temporarily suggests to me that it is probably not a good thing to be doing to your nervous system intermittently throughout the day.
When at work, I used to brew up a big pot of strong dripolator coffee for the staff on a Friday for morning tea and some commented that it gave them a real 'hit'. I think I read somewhere that Drip coffee had more caffeine per cup than a double shot (?)

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 16 April 2017, 12:37 PM   #97
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
Are the beans oily ?

Quote:

Old 16 April 2017, 01:13 PM   #98
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Wes - I agree it is probably a good idea to keep your consumption within reasonable bounds. You can develop an increased tolerance over time but the fact that the caffeine works to elevate heart rate temporarily suggests to me that it is probably not a good thing to be doing to your nervous system intermittently throughout the day.
When at work, I used to brew up a big pot of strong dripolator coffee for the staff on a Friday for morning tea and some commented that it gave them a real 'hit'. I think I read somewhere that Drip coffee had more caffeine per cup than a double shot (?)
At my last job, before the company started being cheap, they had very good drip coffee. In addition to the mug that I drank on my way to work, I probably drank 6+ cups at work.

I am trying to limit myself to 3 cups of drip coffee or 2 cups of drip and 1 espresso based drink per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera911 View Post
Are the beans oily ?
Somewhat, but definitely not the oiliest beans I've ever had.
Old 16 April 2017, 03:27 PM   #99
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
Quote:
At my last job, before the company started being cheap, they had very good drip coffee. In addition to the mug that I drank on my way to work, I probably drank 6+ cups at work.

I am trying to limit myself to 3 cups of drip coffee or 2 cups of drip and 1 espresso based drink per day.

Somewhat, but definitely not the oiliest beans I've ever had.

It seems like a trend that whenever a company wants to save some money, the first thing to go would be the employees' fringe benefits. In this case, I do not think saving a few bucks from coffee consumption will make or break the company.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 04:34 PM   #100
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

No, it's amazing, some companies just don't understand "goodwill".
I have worked for so many outfits that placed such a low value on staff and their critical role in company success.

Old 16 April 2017, 10:01 PM   #101
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
It seems like a trend that whenever a company wants to save some money, the first thing to go would be the employees' fringe benefits. In this case, I do not think saving a few bucks from coffee consumption will make or break the company.
I've seen some productivity numbers that don't favor a centralized coffee station. Honestly, if I'm going to get benefits from my company I would like them to be cash or better dental coverage.

I see a lot of Keurig's in offices these days.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 11:06 PM   #102
Israguard
"TRF" Member

Great and informative thread. Would be awesome if people would also post pix of their machines. I'm sure a few on trf have some insanely beautiful machines.

Wishing you all a Happy Easter
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2017, 11:16 PM   #103
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Trying to keep with your same mug theme Larry...Independence coffee Co. 'Jet Fuel'

Paul I'm going to your coffee place if they are giving out RMs with the coffee!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 03:30 AM   #104
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
A coworker of mine swears that this TEA MAKER is the best. William Sonoma has them.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2017, 03:32 AM   #105
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israguard View Post
Great and informative thread. Would be awesome if people would also post pix of their machines. I'm sure a few on trf have some insanely beautiful machines.

Wishing you all a Happy Easter
Start on the first page of this thread...

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Old 18 April 2017, 03:24 AM   #106
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I buy my beans local from a local roaster called Serrano's coffee ,since I know that they are fresh out of the roaster. Then I use a old school Saeco with a modified bottomless puck and a modified grind for a in between medium grind. It works great for $150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cPmEk35.jpg (68.2 KB, 213 views)
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 02:06 AM   #107
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

TRF ~ Coffee Lovers Thread!

Just roasted a batch of Brazilian coffee beans and they are Excellent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100532.JPG (263.5 KB, 193 views)

Old 7 May 2017, 03:40 AM   #108
kulak
"TRF" Member

I must be really unsophisticated. I have 3 simple requirements: black (no added flavors), caffeine, and hot. I will drink it if meets them no matter the brand or age.
kulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 07:02 AM   #109
milov
"TRF" Member

I've been making my way through the Tokyo boutique coffee roasting scene over the past few days. I'm really enjoying the experience.

Though I should add, what I miss most during this past 5 weeks of travelling is my espresso machine at home.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 07:08 AM   #110
James K
"TRF" Member

That's a light roast there, I'd be interested to see how you'd describe the taste on that, purely from a connoisseur's perspective.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 07:37 AM   #111
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
That's a light roast there, I'd be interested to see how you'd describe the taste on that, purely from a connoisseur's perspective.
I agree. That is light and there are some darker beans mixed in. I think you heated the beans too fast. May need to lower the heat setting and let the beans get to temp slower so it's a more even roast. Brazilian beans are known for their earthiness and chocolate notes. It takes a darker roast to really bring those out. Keep working at it. Once you get the process down, it will be well worth the effort.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 11:44 AM   #112
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I'll let you know tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I agree. That is light and there are some darker beans mixed in. I think you heated the beans too fast. May need to lower the heat setting and let the beans get to temp slower so it's a more even roast. Brazilian beans are known for their earthiness and chocolate notes. It takes a darker roast to really bring those out. Keep working at it. Once you get the process down, it will be well worth the effort.
I actually roasted two batches and mixed them. The first we made a pot of coffee with this AM and it was a little dark to our taste. I roasted another small patch a few minutes less them mixed the. I'll know tomorrow morning if we like this "blend".

Old 7 May 2017, 11:52 AM   #113
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona

I love a nice rich dark roast. Stumptown coffee roasters in NYC is the best I've ever had but I can't drink it every day.

My daily morning coffee is typically the breakfast blend from Dean & Deluca. A very smooth drinking medium roast.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 06:04 PM   #114
milov
"TRF" Member

The current trend in Melbourne is to see who can out-green roast their beans
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2017, 10:35 PM   #115
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
The current trend in Melbourne is to see who can out-green roast their beans
It's a 'trend' that will almost certainly be fairly limited and short-lived.
The hipsters will sustain it for a while until they move on to the next thing.

Old 8 May 2017, 12:44 AM   #116
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
I'll let you know tomorrow...

I actually roasted two batches and mixed them. The first we made a pot of coffee with this AM and it was a little dark to our taste. I roasted another small patch a few minutes less them mixed the. I'll know tomorrow morning if we like this "blend".
Cool!! Experiment and see what you like.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2017, 08:09 AM   #117
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Cool!! Experiment and see what you like.
You are right Brazilian beans need to roast a little longer. 😀

Old 15 September 2017, 01:29 AM   #118
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Some great beans we brought back from vacation... Tasty!

Tasting Notes: Grapefruit, Blackcurrant, Lively
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110007.JPG (217.6 KB, 145 views)

Old 15 September 2017, 02:44 AM   #119
15minprior
"TRF" Member

I'm a fan of trying out different types from La Colombe.

My current favorite is the Bourbon, blend notes: Nougat, Candied pecan, Nectarine
https://www.lacolombe.com/collection...oducts/bourbon

I prefer the drip method with my Hario v60 at home, I'll use an AeroPress at work for convenience.
15minprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 03:03 AM   #120
SG56
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
BIIIG fan of coffee

★ what Coffee are you trying and how do you like it?
About to try peet's. Just got some beans.
★ Favorite brand?
Love the blue mountain. I actually buy it at Marshall's. they sell beans and it's sub $10 per pound. SUPER SMOOTH.
Also very smooth is Melita with a blue ribbon, house blend or something. Great insider tip :)
★ What equipment are you using?
Nice drip machine, always krups. DeLonghi and krups for espresso. One day i'll buy Jura. everyone is raving but i'm not pulling a trigger without tasting jura mde coffee.
★ Any tricks or special things you do to get that perfect cup of coffee?
filtered water. If you're in the US, don't buy ground coffee. they ground it too coarse here, which results in hot green water. Ground your own.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kona