The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 July 2019, 05:31 PM   #31
Hendrikus
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I do agree with this, provided of course that is his intention. Many are speculating that he is dealing again (and indeed he certainly invites emails for his "professional services") and it is not surprising people would feel nervous if he is building a huge following based on his honest, ex-dealer approach only to soon become a big dealer again - when his own son is not only a convicted watch fraudster but recently went bankrupt to avoid paying back the debts he owed to those he conned.

I struggle to understand how a reputable watch dealer did not notice that his son was developing riches from selling fake watches. His son had a business located in the same area, and was living a lifestyle commensurate with his earnings. Do you not think Father and Son talked about their respective businesses - both being watch dealers? Do you think Father did not visit son's premises or visit his website and see what he was buying and selling?

In my mind there is a world of difference between someone who sells replica watches for replica prices. I don't approve of it, but nonetheless if one is selling a counterfeit Rolex for £500 everyone knows what they are getting themselves in to. What Jamie Thorpe did was sell watches at genuine prices. There is a poor chap who spent £20,000 on a gold Rolex; he has since discovered it is fake and cannot sue JT because of his bankruptcy. That makes JT utter scum (for want of a better expression) and I am sure we all agree, utterly appalling. I just struggle to understand how a Father, in the same business and living and working in the same town (effectively), did not realise this was going on. If he genuinely did not, then perhaps all Paul is guilty of is teaching his son about the business, to the extent was able to go off and pursue his own fraudulent interests. But if that is the case, he would in my view do better to come out and say that, and explain that he was unaware of his son's criminality as his victims were. Given, particularly, Paul has made numerous videos complaining at how inept the police were in dealing with the criminals that targeted his business, it does feel slightly ironic that he is glossing over the criminality of his own son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
I don't see why Paul should be judged because of something his son did. Many honest people have sons who have fallen foul of the law.

Put this in perspective. Paul isn't trying to sell watches, he is trying to build up a YouTube channel by producing informative videos from a dealers perspective. Draw inference from what you see and learn from his shared experience. It's not costing anything to watch him, if anyone feels like his is guilty by association then simply move on and watch Bark&Jack drinking coffee and talking sh1t.
Old 30 July 2019, 05:51 PM   #32
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Plenty of people are estranged.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 06:31 PM   #33
Hendrikus
"TRF" Member

Agreed - but if you watch the WikiLeaks video (and reading what locals are posting online) they are very much not estranged. Which is what is slightly difficult to reconcile with Paul's statement which did try and give the impression that this was an estranged relative.

Anyway, fundamentally none of my business and my last word on it. I like his videos, but (a) I am battle scarred by two attempts to defraud me in the last few days so I am very anti-fraudsters at the moment and (b) I can simply elect to not watch his videos, unsubscribe and not do any business with him if I have an issue with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Plenty of people are estranged.
Old 30 July 2019, 06:33 PM   #34
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Why are so many people talking about/promoting this Man?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 11:22 PM   #35
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1111 View Post
Why are so many people talking about/promoting this Man?

Because he’s currently releasing YouTube videos as frequently as Omega release limited edition watches.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 11:27 PM   #36
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrikus View Post
Agreed - but if you watch the WikiLeaks video (and reading what locals are posting online) they are very much not estranged. Which is what is slightly difficult to reconcile with Paul's statement which did try and give the impression that this was an estranged relative.

Anyway, fundamentally none of my business and my last word on it. I like his videos, but (a) I am battle scarred by two attempts to defraud me in the last few days so I am very anti-fraudsters at the moment and (b) I can simply elect to not watch his videos, unsubscribe and not do any business with him if I have an issue with it!
Good point, the clot thickens.
Old 1 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #37
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Watch "Paul Thorpe Statement" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/fPasp79adIw
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 06:36 AM   #38
Hendrikus
"TRF" Member

I note his ‘relative’ is now his son, and his son was ‘charged’ when in fact he was convicted. Damn, I said I had uttered my last word on the subject!
Old 1 August 2019, 06:40 AM   #39
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
I don't mind what his son did and i certainly not gonna judge him for it. I find his video's somehow interesting, but he is annoying with editing his video's and it takes some time before he gets to the point.
Old 1 August 2019, 12:38 PM   #40
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:

Paul emailed WikiWatchLeaks with his response saying "relative" before the cat was out of the bag showing that Jamie was his son.

It was a Twitter photo on Jamie's account of Paul holding a baby with the caption "my dad and my daughter" on it that seems to be the smoking gun.

Thats why Paul changed tact and started to say "son" from then on.

I actually remember Paul's videos from years ago and thought they were very good indeed.

Ive watched a lot of the subsequent ones especially the ones talking about fakes, fraud and avoiding conmen. I enjoyed them and felt sorry for Paul when he released the three videos saying where he had been a victim of crime and that the police really didnt seem interested in helping out.

Now I think it was disingenuous NOT to have said from the off that his own son had ripped off the public for over half a million pounds worth of fake watches.

It makes all his video talking about being an honest man and a victim a bit sour especially the parts about the police not helping out when they were at that point in time investigating his family for watch crimes themselves.

The link with his son was always going to come out at some point and a lot of the people that were ripped off by Jamie have been doing their own digging into things going by the comments that have appeared on Paul's YouTube videos saying that Jamie took the rap and bankruptcy hit for the pair as he had less to lose.

I've never met Paul or Jamie so cant comment from a personal standpoint, just on what has unfolded as noted above.
DJRikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 07:23 PM   #41
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Because he’s currently releasing YouTube videos as frequently as Omega release limited edition watches.

Hahaha

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 01:09 PM   #42
patrolmi
"TRF" Member

I was just wondering if all the troubles (robberies) he sustained might be in retaliation for the actions of his son -- or people trying to get even or get their money back or whatever-- everyone would think they were working in unison . -- and now I wonder if it's why the police were so flip when it came to helping him.
patrolmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 05:19 AM   #43
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolmi View Post
I was just wondering if all the troubles (robberies) he sustained might be in retaliation for the actions of his son -- or people trying to get even or get their money back or whatever-- everyone would think they were working in unison . -- and now I wonder if it's why the police were so flip when it came to helping him.

Yup.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 09:56 PM   #44
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNbYU7uvUY

Here it is - he is doing a 'trade show' in October.
Old 10 August 2019, 09:10 PM   #45
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtralarg View Post
This guy is very knowledgeable, well worth watching his videos.

Watch "Paul Thorpe Watch Dealer" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoQ...juAa14y5PhqXIA
He does go on a bit....somehow strings out what could be said in 2 minutes to half an hour....thank god for the fast forward feature on you tube as it allows me to get to his cliff hangers in bearable time.

I do feel that hes got an agenda as he constantly reminds us hes trustworthy and does deal in watches any more....he calls him self a journalist now for some reason.

He talks like hes the only honest person on the planet...all said every now and then something interesting.

I must say that his weird in car rants look more like the start of an amateur dogging video...kinda creepy
Old 14 August 2019, 02:57 PM   #46
jensonslee
"TRF" Member

He and Roman Sharf offer some of the best advice when buying a watch. Most dealers are apprehensive about sharing the information that he happily talks about.
jensonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 03:09 PM   #47
jensonslee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Given, particularly, Paul has made numerous videos complaining at how inept the police were in dealing with the criminals that targeted his business, it does feel slightly ironic that he is glossing over the criminality of his own son.
If he did know his son was fraudulent what would he have done? As a father, he would want to sway his son away from that lifestyle but also protect him. Not an easy situation to handle for any decent person. I have heard of mothers turning in their sons for stealing and then later regretting it.
jensonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 06:11 AM   #48
timedate
-

i have been watching some of the latest videos, they help your learning curve, seems a bloody hard game to get into, imagine trying to buy someones rolex and then making a good profit on it when every tom dick and harry knows what they are worth and that they can sell it with a few pics and a few clicks.

i reckon you have to go to europe to the auctions and fairs, maybe buy broken stuff and get it repaired or have some sort of deal with an AD. Not for me.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 10:03 AM   #49
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedate View Post
i have been watching some of the latest videos, they help your learning curve, seems a bloody hard game to get into, imagine trying to buy someones rolex and then making a good profit on it when every tom dick and harry knows what they are worth and that they can sell it with a few pics and a few clicks.

i reckon you have to go to europe to the auctions and fairs, maybe buy broken stuff and get it repaired or have some sort of deal with an AD. Not for me.
Until they find out that selling a Watch Privately online is more difficult than they think and these high offers from Dealers usually get lowered when the actual Watch gets to them(unless it’s NIB and flawless).
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 12:01 AM   #50
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collarcity View Post
Good content but a lot of his 15+ minute videos could easily be 3 minutes. He and many others on YT tend to ramble. Get to the point.
This exactly. Added to the fact his videos are most of the time his face for 100% of the video...
I found i was wasting too much time. Now, when I wanna watch a video of his, i put his videos on my phone, my phone in my pocket, and do something else, like washing up or hoover :D

Seriously, youtubers are rewarded for long videos (more ads, lenghty ads).. it's a very dangerous road. Will produce more quantity and less quality.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 01:54 AM   #51
RobertIC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
I don't mind what his son did and i certainly not gonna judge him for it. I find his video's somehow interesting, but he is annoying with editing his video's and it takes some time before he gets to the point.
Well, I and a lot of other people do mind what his son did. £600,000 in fraud, thats a lot of watch lovers out of pocket. A lot of people who saved up, worked hard for their dream watch out of pocket and due to him going bankrupt now no way of ever getting the money back. His son got a 2 yr suspended sentence for that (so nothing). They are having a laugh at the watch buying/collecting communities expense.

I wonder if by posting videos about watch fraud all the time it makes the Jamie Thorpe saga less prominent in search results. I do not trust him at all, sorry.

As has already been said on here I find it extremely difficult to believe he had no idea what the son was up to. I am sure I recall reading at the time that the company was dodgy.
RobertIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:45 AM   #52
LemaniaChrono
2024 Pledge Member

I watch his channel and generally do like the content. When the story of his son came out I was disappointed and although I continue to watch his videos I am certainly more skeptical (lack of a better word). I am always thinking "what is this guy up to?"

I did find it very ironic that the first video I watched of his was about how to spot a fake Daytona by having the print "inside" the 11 & 1 hour markers...his example was from a person whom contacted Paul to have a look at it. It was a suspected fake, redial or frankenwatch. Very informative. The ironic part...I'm fairly certain that exact Daytona (green dial/gold case if I remember correctly) was one of the models mentioned in an expose article about his son. The article mentioned other models but specifically made a big deal about this Daytona.

Last edited by LemaniaChrono; 11 November 2019 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: grammar
LemaniaChrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2019, 10:39 PM   #53
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

He is not responsible for his sons actions, Paul is a great guy.
Buzzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2019, 04:56 AM   #54
roviw
"TRF" Member

I bought my 16700 pepsi from him nearly 4 years ago, it was a terrific watch and a sensible price, a very nice guy to meet and deal with .
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
roviw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 04:42 PM   #55
Fire bloke
Banned

I have now stopped watching the Paul Thorpe channel following this thread.
You can't tell me senior never knew what junior was up to..

Loved the channel with his scandal warning videos and the hero style let's stop robbery and theft.

What a shame he wasn't able to warn anyone when his own son was scamming folk with fake watches to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Son conned people out of £650.000 wow
Now bankrupt

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/news/f...ing-standards/

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17775161.amp/

Makes you wonder..
Fire bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 04:54 AM   #56
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire bloke View Post

What a shame he wasn't able to warn anyone when his own son was scamming folk with fake watches to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds.
I stopped watching him as well, selling a load of BS
Old 19 January 2020, 08:44 PM   #57
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzlite View Post
He is not responsible for his sons actions, Paul is a great guy.
I totally agree on this. Just because the son did a crime doesnt mean the father is to blame. He probably paid the price for his son's crime.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
badass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:37 PM   #58
Apogee
Banned

Paul has hired a spin doctor - a very cheap spin doctor

But this story is high Drama . Arthur Daley 2020 with hair products. The kid has some pretty strong legal sanctions against him but he can “stack boxes for his biologicical father” just as he is Thorpes distant relative

Oh please
Apogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 04:02 PM   #59
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
I’ve watched some more content of Paul’s and I felt I should come back and say I was wrong.

Rather than saying I thought he was this or that, I should have explained in a far nicer way that I think the production of the videos could be a little more polished (my personal take is that it’s a better delivery with a good mic and fixed setting).

I have to retract my statement because what he’s actually saying is informative and that’s the important part.

My initial comment was based on his production and delivery of the content, not what he was actually saying, which is useful and better than others I have seen on YouTube.

I’d agree with the OP, that his content is worth watching.

Fwiw the quality of production (not content) is what I thought you meant when I read your comment.
Old 6 November 2020, 08:35 AM   #60
AlanH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
When one of his videos appeared on my YouTube timeline a couple of months ago, I thought it was a trailer for a new Guy Ritchie movie. Watched a few more and not very impressed either by him or the quality of his videos.
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote