The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 August 2019, 08:59 AM   #1
fsprow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Real Name: Frank
Location: Dallas,NY,Colo.
Watch: P5711,AP15500,SkyD
Posts: 1,008
Some Observations

Iíve been a member of the forum for about a year and hopefully have made some constructive comments based on my technical knowledge of materials science and engineering. Have owned Rolexes for 30 years.

Everyone has a right to post or make an inquiry about anything they wish, but the following are a bit frustrating to me:

- Help me pick out a watch. Please work to upgrade your judgment and self-esteem.

- Please compliment me on my new watch purchase. Good grief!

- I love or hate my AD. Please just deal with that. I believe thereís a great deal of difference among individual dealers so itís hard to generalize.

- I know what Rolex or Tudorís business strategy should be better than they do. I suggest offering them your management consulting services.

- I banged my watch and have a little scratch. Please ďman upĒ.

- Will X or Y watches be the best investment for me. Nobody knows and modern watches are doubtful investments anyway.

- Can I safely take my watch to country/city X. If youíre comfortable taking yourself and your family there, the answer is yes.

Sorry if this presents me as a bad forum member, but there it is.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:02 AM   #2
The Libertine
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Real Name: Mike
Location: BOS
Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Posts: 6,377
Can’t fault someone who is right, and that about sums up the Forum topics du jour of late.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:08 AM   #3
Robtayham
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 532
You left off the ‘greys / resellers are charging more than MSRP’ posts.
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:13 AM   #4
golfski
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: US
Watch: me whip & nay nay
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Iíve been a member of the forum for about a year and hopefully have made some constructive comments based on my technical knowledge of materials science and engineering. Have owned Rolexes for 30 years.

Everyone has a right to post or make an inquiry about anything they wish, but the following are a bit frustrating to me:

- Help me pick out a watch. Please work to upgrade your judgment and self-esteem.

- Please compliment me on my new watch purchase. Good grief!

- I love or hate my AD. Please just deal with that. I believe thereís a great deal of difference among individual dealers so itís hard to generalize.

- I know what Rolex or Tudorís business strategy should be better than they do. I suggest offering them your management consulting services.

- I banged my watch and have a little scratch. Please ďman upĒ.

- Will X or Y watches be the best investment for me. Nobody knows and modern watches are doubtful investments anyway.

- Can I safely take my watch to country/city X. If youíre comfortable taking yourself and your family there, the answer is yes.

Sorry if this presents me as a bad forum member, but there it is.
Like you said, everyone has a right to post whatever they want, but the following is VERY frustrating to me.

- I think posts that I have no interest in should not be allowed on the forum because I canít help myself from clicking on things I donít want to read. Like you said, ďMan upĒ, its just a forum.

Your reason for coming here isnít the same as mine, which isnít the same as the next person, so on and so on. If you donít like what you are reading - close the window. What you came here for 30 years ago, 10 years ago, even 10 months ago isnít always going to be the topic of interest. Times change. Interests change. Why people collect watches change (investment, etc.). Deal with it.

I personally am sick of the threads complaining about about the other threads. If you donít want to read it, DONíT READ IT! (Myself included, with these thread bashing threads!)
golfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:22 AM   #5
kypt
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Oxford, PA
Watch: Explorer
Posts: 40
So what topics do you think are acceptable for discussion here?
kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:24 AM   #6
marc12
2020 Pledge Member
 
marc12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Marc
Location: NH
Watch: Blue Steel SD
Posts: 508
and perhaps we should restrict threads that criticize other people’s threads as well
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Jostack
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 351
I agree with the sentiment, but at least the ďoffensiveĒ posts are pretty easy to parse from the titles.

This just causes a significant amount of scrolling before I find something interesting. I usually swipe up before I reach any level of frustration.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:32 AM   #8
markseattle
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Real Name: Mark
Location: Northwest
Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
Posts: 185
For me, about the only ďthread starterĒ that annoys me is the one complaining about other threads.

If you donít like the thread, move on.

The fact that Iím even complaining about this thread is annoying. I should have moved on but couldnít resist.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:34 AM   #9
giruto
"TRF" Member
 
giruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Real Name: Gil
Location: Springfield, NJ
Watch: GMT Master ii, TOG
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
Like you said, everyone has a right to post whatever they want, but the following is VERY frustrating to me.



- I think posts that I have no interest in should not be allowed on the forum because I canít help myself from clicking on things I donít want to read. Like you said, ďMan upĒ, its just a forum.



Your reason for coming here isnít the same as mine, which isnít the same as the next person, so on and so on. If you donít like what you are reading - close the window. What you came here for 30 years ago, 10 years ago, even 10 months ago isnít always going to be the topic of interest. Times change. Interests change. Why people collect watches change (investment, etc.). Deal with it.



I personally am sick of the threads complaining about about the other threads. If you donít want to read it, DONíT READ IT! (Myself included, with these thread bashing threads!)


Agree


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
giruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:36 AM   #10
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member
 
brucethemanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,681
Simple.way to avoid ...
Don't click on it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Muxi
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,823
It may be bad form but I have always considered TRF as a safe venue to share incomings and a watch collection with like-minded individuals who will not interpret such posts as bragging. Sort of a support group among enthusiasts where you can keep talking about watches and references that other friends and colleagues would not understand.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:38 AM   #12
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member
 
jvb.nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Real Name: Jonathan
Location: NC / CA
Watch: 228206meteorite
Posts: 1,325
i mean... i hear you.

but this forum exists for all of us, to share in this collective madness. criticising folks for their posts seems a bit much, as stated by others above.

YMMV tho.
__________________
116710blnr / 116610lv / 216750 polar / 126600 mk1 / 116500ln / 126710blro / 228206 meteorite / 126719 meteorite / Pelagos 25600 // insta @jvbphotos
jvb.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:42 AM   #13
fsprow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Real Name: Frank
Location: Dallas,NY,Colo.
Watch: P5711,AP15500,SkyD
Posts: 1,008
Since it appears my comments on this matter are not shared, I will refrain from offering them in the future. As was said, different people derive enjoyment in different ways. Will keep my future comments to technical matters.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member
 
Oceanlover914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Real Name: Alex
Location: Maryland,usa
Watch: YG Sub,Hulk,CHNR
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfski View Post
Like you said, everyone has a right to post whatever they want, but the following is VERY frustrating to me.

- I think posts that I have no interest in should not be allowed on the forum because I canít help myself from clicking on things I donít want to read. Like you said, ďMan upĒ, its just a forum.

Your reason for coming here isnít the same as mine, which isnít the same as the next person, so on and so on. If you donít like what you are reading - close the window. What you came here for 30 years ago, 10 years ago, even 10 months ago isnít always going to be the topic of interest. Times change. Interests change. Why people collect watches change (investment, etc.). Deal with it.

I personally am sick of the threads complaining about about the other threads. If you donít want to read it, DONíT READ IT! (Myself included, with these thread bashing threads!)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Perfectly said. If someone doesnít like what they read or isnít interested in a topic, scroll on. Look for titles that interest you. If nothing interests you, perhaps find a new forum. I am a relatively new member, since 2017, and the people here are probably not the same who were here when the forum started. I have learned one thing from TRF and that is many of the same questions I have often pondered are shared by many other people. To each their own opinion.
__________________
Nothing is as good as getting what we really want!! The value of something is determined by the price that we are willing to pay, not what someone says we should pay!!
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:51 AM   #15
waynorth
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 76
Yeah, some posts are annoying, but I read them anyway. I'm a masochist. Honestly, I find most people annoying, and I'm sure they would find me annoying, so...
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:54 AM   #16
billfredericks
2020 Pledge Member
 
billfredericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Massachusetts
Watch: Milgauss
Posts: 542
Some very fair criticisms...however, I actually like the “incoming”s. For those who don’t use other social media platforms in order to showcase our conspicuous consumption, I appreciate a place to share the madness for madness sake.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:56 AM   #17
martinr
"TRF" Member
 
martinr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,971
So why are you here?
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:00 AM   #18
fsprow
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Real Name: Frank
Location: Dallas,NY,Colo.
Watch: P5711,AP15500,SkyD
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
So why are you here?
I have left.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:00 AM   #19
Wedders
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Somewhere in U.K.
Posts: 501
The things I hate about the forum posts are the opposite ends of the spectrum. Firstly the trolls who just want to knock others asking genuine questions and just want to learn.
And the other end the Rolex fanboys who think Rolex rules the world and deserves a Nobel prize.
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:03 AM   #20
Bryan81
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Watch: "Hulk" 116610LV
Posts: 251
I enjoy most of the topics around here. Sometimes I’m not in the mood for certain threads, so I just scroll on. Even on topics that seem repetitive I enjoy hearing the current opinions and rants. I also like seeing whatever watch someone has picked up and sharing their joy with them.
__________________
DD 18239, Sub 114060, Sub "Hulk" 116610LV, TT DJ 126331, GMTII 16710 Coke
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:09 AM   #21
JodyHighroller
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
JodyHighroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I have left.
You bring up some fair points, but honestly Iíd just skip over the threads where you have no interest. Thatís what I personally do.

Iíd stick around too. I enjoy reading some of your posts, plus you should join us for the Dallas GTG next month.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:11 AM   #22
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member
 
brucethemanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,681
Post what you want
People can like it or not
This forum doesn't cater to just things everyone agree on (even your current post maybe a lot like or maybe a lot don't, but who cares )
Great questions
Dumb questions
Crying
Craving
Trolling
Bitching
Complaining.
Whining
Technical
Good opinion
Bad opinion
Everything is all relative
Engage
Don't engage
Laugh
Smile :)
Don't take things so seriously
All is good on TRF


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:15 AM   #23
nuts070
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: GMT +8
Posts: 171
1. Picking a watch - some genuinely needs another's opinion, I get lost in new malls sometimes and I ask for directions
2. Compliment - who doesn't want one sometimes?
3. AD love/hate - we learn who to deal with
4. Rolex strategy - it's a marketplace of ideas, who knows maybe Rolex gets some from us?
5. Being OC is a condition, please understand. I for one want my watches mint
6. Investment - everyone doesn't want to lose money/value, one factor that makes Rolex desirable so deal with it
7. Safety of others should not bother you, you're not their insurer.
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:25 AM   #24
IR201
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 763
Hi all I was hoping you could help me decide between the hulk and the pepsi, i know they are different watches but which one gets more compliments? Like on average. I was talking to my AD the other day (who I love) and they said they get more requests for the pepsi. Frankly I don't understand why rolex isn't producing more to meet demand. Especially with the ceramic bezels which don't scratch (I banged an aluminum one time, was pretty depressed about it). Anyway, let me know what you think - I'd hate to lose money on whichever I decide, plus I got an upcoming vacation and prefer the more low key option given crime and stuff.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:29 AM   #25
jrubero
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: Jose
Location: Philly.
Watch: Air King, DJ41 Blu
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Post what you want
People can like it or not
This forum doesn't cater to just things everyone agree on (even your current post maybe a lot like or maybe a lot don't, but who cares )
Great questions
Dumb questions
Crying
Craving
Trolling
Bitching
Complaining.
Whining
Technical
Good opinion
Bad opinion
Everything is all relative
Engage
Don't engage
Laugh
Smile :)
Don't take things so seriously
All is good on TRF


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrubero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:29 AM   #26
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member
 
jvb.nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Real Name: Jonathan
Location: NC / CA
Watch: 228206meteorite
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Hi all I was hoping you could help me decide between the hulk and the pepsi, i know they are different watches but which one gets more compliments? Like on average. I was talking to my AD the other day (who I love) and they said they get more requests for the pepsi. Frankly I don't understand why rolex isn't producing more to meet demand. Especially with the ceramic bezels which don't scratch (I banged an aluminum one time, was pretty depressed about it). Anyway, let me know what you think - I'd hate to lose money on whichever I decide, plus I got an upcoming vacation and prefer the more low key option given crime and stuff.
1/2 of me:

1/2 of me: fam you serious?!
__________________
116710blnr / 116610lv / 216750 polar / 126600 mk1 / 116500ln / 126710blro / 228206 meteorite / 126719 meteorite / Pelagos 25600 // insta @jvbphotos
jvb.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:32 AM   #27
Juantxo
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Canít fault someone who is right, and that about sums up the Forum topics du jour of late.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:42 AM   #28
Mr.Rolex1
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Real Name: Mike
Location: San Diego, CA
Watch: Submariner
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Iíve been a member of the forum for about a year and hopefully have made some constructive comments based on my technical knowledge of materials science and engineering. Have owned Rolexes for 30 years.

Everyone has a right to post or make an inquiry about anything they wish, but the following are a bit frustrating to me:

- Help me pick out a watch. Please work to upgrade your judgment and self-esteem.

- Please compliment me on my new watch purchase. Good grief!

- I love or hate my AD. Please just deal with that. I believe thereís a great deal of difference among individual dealers so itís hard to generalize.

- I know what Rolex or Tudorís business strategy should be better than they do. I suggest offering them your management consulting services.

- I banged my watch and have a little scratch. Please ďman upĒ.

- Will X or Y watches be the best investment for me. Nobody knows and modern watches are doubtful investments anyway.

- Can I safely take my watch to country/city X. If youíre comfortable taking yourself and your family there, the answer is yes.

Sorry if this presents me as a bad forum member, but there it is.
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:49 AM   #29
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PA/NYC
Posts: 77
I like the incomings too, or pics of newly acquired watches. Especially when it's a first, or meaningful in some way, or an "i always wanted one."
Kevin Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 10:53 AM   #30
Bizcut1
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
Bizcut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Real Name: Ben
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,842
I get it - people can be annoying. My wife tells me that all the time.

That said, I have learned a lot about watches and collecting in my five or so years here. Probably more here than anywhere else. That's not necessarily good or bad - it just is.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.