The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2020, 06:45 AM   #1
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
First sport bike

I come from the bagger world and am looking for my first sport bike. I know I have the confidence and responsibility for a 1000 but I want to learn good technique especially on the corners and hear 600's are better because they're also better track bikes, which is something I intend to master my skills on.

Leaning towards Kawasaki ZX6r non-abs 2020 which I can get for $8250 new. Friend recommended Yamaha R6 but I understand those have no low-end power and while good for tracks, aren't good for the street. I'll be doing about 70% of my riding on the street.

Thoughts appreciated brothers.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I have a 08 GSX-R 1000.. Let me tell you, do not buy a 600 anything. You will have it for a while then wish it had more power.. My friend had a GSX-R 600 and it is weak
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Kube
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
do not buy a 600 anything. You will have it for a while then wish it had more power
That's what I was hoping to hear
Old 25 July 2020, 08:34 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
enabling at its finest
Old 25 July 2020, 08:55 AM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Buy a 1000 and get it over with
Old 25 July 2020, 09:00 AM   #6
albertf
"TRF" Member

I kinda doubt any normal person is able to push a modern 600cc sport bike to it's limits on a track.

Depending on your budget, i'd probably look for a 600cc bike that's already scuffed up since you'll likely be putting it down once you try to push it on a track. If you really decide it's not enough bike, you shouldnt be eating too much money when you sell since you bought a bike with cosmetic imperfections.
albertf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:06 AM   #7
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I had a 04 Honda cbr600rr and it was the best bike I’ve ever owned. Put 52,000 miles on it and would have rode it to California the day I sold it. I have an 04 Honda cbr1000rr fireblade in the garage that never gets ridden. The 600 is a great starter bike. A 1000 is not practical for city driving. 600 is so much more maneuverable and nimble in the city and traffic. I’d say get a used 600 and see how that feels. If it’s not enough power then maybe move up to a gsxr 750. (I have many friends who swear the 750 is the perfect all around bike.) As long as you buy used and don’t wreck it you shouldn’t lose any money in trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:33 AM   #8
Kube
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for your replies. Something to take into consideration when I think about how soon I'd learn on the 600 and want to go for the 1000: my first bike after never riding a day in my life was a brand-new, fairing-less bagger with a 116 engine, 100hp, and 127 ft/lbs torque. Rode it in a poker run doing over 80 side by side in a pack of 50+ bikes third day after receiving my license. And put over 6,000 miles between July and January. Never so much as laid it on the asphalt.

Logically, I should go for a used 600. Next step up is a new 600 which I'll probably do and swap out parts for track days if I drop. But the plunge, which I don't even know is worth taking, is getting the 1000. I'd like a 1000 but my only concern is that I wouldn't be able to learn proper and aggressive technique as well on the 1000 as I could on the 600.
Old 25 July 2020, 09:44 AM   #9
330ci
"TRF" Member

Bought a CBR900rr for my first bike, had a riot, it was cheap and I lost no money on it. “Upgraded” to a k1200s and never drive it. Looking at a vintage 500 to puts around the city on with friends. Found a bike I mainly dig the vintage graphics on and I’m not as much of a speed demon as I used to be
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:45 AM   #10
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Stay with the baggers, a lot safer......
Beo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 09:47 AM   #11
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I come from the bagger world and am looking for my first sport bike. I know I have the confidence and responsibility for a 1000 but I want to learn good technique especially on the corners and hear 600's are better because they're also better track bikes, which is something I intend to master my skills on.

Leaning towards Kawasaki ZX6r non-abs 2020 which I can get for $8250 new. Friend recommended Yamaha R6 but I understand those have no low-end power and while good for tracks, aren't good for the street. I'll be doing about 70% of my riding on the street.

Thoughts appreciated brothers.

This year makes 50 years of riding motorcycles for me. I’ve ridden and owned every type of motorcycle made, including Harley Davidson, and raced full schedule GNCC for 12 years. At 58, I’ll still throw one in a turn, cross any mountain pass, or ford a deep river with the best of them, including any of the “advisors” above.

I’ve also attended many funerals, used a t-shirt to cover bones sticking out of arms and legs while pools of blood formed on the ground. Lying beside a fellow rider, trying to comfort them in those last moments affects one forever. Feeling a body tremble on the side of a hill, with blood running out of the mouth and ears, while their last breath escaped the lungs, leaves a lasting impression. The moment those fingers relax their last grip on your hand, it’s all one can do not to throw up and cry simultaneously.

Now, take my advice ever how you wish. I’ve fulfilled my fellow rider obligation and responsibility.

) Read the highlighted words above repeatedly.

) Buy a Japanese 600cc of your choosing.

) Enroll in a three day track school.

) When proficient, get a 1000cc if you still desire one.

) Become an organ donor. At 58 I may need some good body parts.

Old 25 July 2020, 09:53 AM   #12
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks guys for your replies. Something to take into consideration when I think about how soon I'd learn on the 600 and want to go for the 1000: my first bike after never riding a day in my life was a brand-new, fairing-less bagger with a 116 engine, 100hp, and 127 ft/lbs torque. Rode it in a poker run doing over 80 side by side in a pack of 50+ bikes third day after receiving my license. And put over 6,000 miles between July and January. Never so much as laid it on the asphalt.

Logically, I should go for a used 600. Next step up is a new 600 which I'll probably do and swap out parts for track days if I drop. But the plunge, which I don't even know is worth taking, is getting the 1000. I'd like a 1000 but my only concern is that I wouldn't be able to learn proper and aggressive technique as well on the 1000 as I could on the 600.

I’m telling you, from a guy who has tracked a 600 as well as put probably 100,000 miles on motorcycles in the last 20 yrs. The 600 is a good starting out point. It’s not a hard task to ride a cruiser at 80 on the highway. It’s a whole other story taking turns using every speck of tire on the track taking some turns 100+. When your chicken strips are gone on the 600 it’s time to move up. Search “isle of man greatest show on earth”. These are guys that have been riding super sports for decades and I promise all of them started out on 600’s or less.

Old 25 July 2020, 09:57 AM   #13
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
This year makes 50 years of riding motorcycles for me. I’ve ridden and owned every type of motorcycle made, including Harley Davidson, and raced full schedule GNCC for 12 years. At 58, I’ll still throw one in a turn, cross any mountain pass, or ford a deep river with the best of them, including any of the “advisors” above.

I’ve also attended many funerals, used a t-shirt to cover bones sticking out of arms and legs while pools of blood formed on the ground. Lying beside a fellow rider, trying to comfort them in those last moments affects one forever. Feeling a body tremble on the side of a hill, with blood running out of the mouth and ears, while their last breath escaped his lungs, leaves a lasting impression. The moment those fingers relax their last grip of your hand, it’s all one can do not to throw up and cry simultaneously.

Now, take my advice ever how you wish. I’ve fulfilled my fellow rider obligation and responsibility.

) Read the highlighted words above repeatedly.

) Buy a Japanese 600cc of your choosing.

) Enroll in a three day track school.

) When proficient, get a 1000cc if you still desire one.

) Become an organ donor. At 58 I may need some good body parts.

Well put Don.

Old 25 July 2020, 11:33 AM   #14
Kube
"TRF" Member

Thanks fellas. Probably opting for the 2020 ZX6R non-ABS and will sign up for track school
Old 25 July 2020, 11:39 AM   #15
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Thanks fellas. Probably opting for the 2020 ZX6R non-ABS and will sign up for track school

I have nothing to add.

The old fellas have covered it all.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 11:49 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Smart move. Any difference in $ lost moving it on for a larger displacement later is a drop in the bucket compared to the alternative.
Old 25 July 2020, 12:03 PM   #17
avidflyer

My first sport bike of many was a BMW S1000rr and then a 4 day camp at Keith Code....While worth it.... and learned a ton
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 12:08 PM   #18
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
My first sport bike of many was a BMW S1000rr and then a 4 day camp at Keith Code....While worth it.... and learned a ton
I tracked one of those at Phillip Island a few years ago.

Excellent piece of kit.

Old 25 July 2020, 12:24 PM   #19
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
$8250 for a brand new zx6r is a good deal.

I still have my 2003 Yamaha Yzf-r6. The thing starts right up every time I push the ignition, with nothing more than routine maintenance over the years. It’s the quintessential Japanese reliability.

I maybe biased but I feel the Yamaha engine is silky smooth even comparing with the bikes from the other Japanese competitors. That’s where Yamaha shines - the engine. I would highly recommend test riding one of the Yzf-r6 if you have the chance.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 12:33 PM   #20
Kube
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
$8250 for a brand new zx6r is a good deal.

I still have my 2003 Yamaha Yzf-r6. The thing starts right up every time I push the ignition, with nothing more than routine maintenance over the years. It’s the quintessential Japanese reliability.

I maybe biased but I feel the Yamaha engine is silky smooth even comparing with the bikes from the other Japanese competitors. That’s where Yamaha shines - the engine. I would highly recommend test riding one of the Yzf-r6 if you have the chance.
I will test one if I can (the dealers around me don't offer tests). Friend of mine has the r1 and recommends the r6. Very refined bike, especially with the quick shifting. Reason I was looking at the ZX6 over r6 is consensus doing research was r6 has very low, low-end torque and that while it's the best for the track, the ZX6 (according to one review) is 95% better for most riders' needs off-track. Black 2020 R6 is sexy as hell, an incredible bike, and I'd go for it if I was confident it had enough low-end and performed superior to the zx6 on the streets. Very hard when you can't test ride them, and about 5 thousand more for the R6. Enjoy yours, and ride hard brother
Old 25 July 2020, 12:48 PM   #21
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
I will test one if I can (the dealers around me don't offer tests). Friend of mine has the r1 and recommends the r6. Very refined bike, especially with the quick shifting. Reason I was looking at the ZX6 over r6 is consensus doing research was r6 has very low, low-end torque and that while it's the best for the track, the ZX6 (according to one review) is 95% better for most riders' needs off-track. Black 2020 R6 is sexy as hell, an incredible bike, and I'd go for it if I was confident it had enough low-end and performed superior to the zx6 on the streets. Very hard when you can't test ride them, and about 5 thousand more for the R6. Enjoy yours, and ride hard brother
I have a feeling that, coming from a bagger, you may not find any Japanese sports satisfactory in the low-end torque arena.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 01:09 PM   #22
Kube
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I have a feeling that, coming from a bagger, you may not find any Japanese sports satisfactory in the low-end torque arena.

I'm coming from a 2020 Challenger Darkhorse with the 108 PowerPlus at 122hp and 128 ft/lbs torque. Was looking at a 2020 Springfield Dark Horse with Lloydz 126 build and supercharger but decided on the fixed fairing bagger for trips with a supersport for local and more aggresive riding. But that Challenger moves. Indian did a great job with its first performance bagger. Adding intake and TAB B.A.M. sticks with Zombie baffles early august so will be quite the fun touring bike.
Old 25 July 2020, 01:18 PM   #23
Andad

Interesting comment.

Back in 2000 I was offered and bought the first MV Agusta 750 F available in my State.

On corner exits the lack of torque was so noticeable I thought I had broken it.

Where I was changing up on my 916 SP and 851 (8 - 8.5] was where the power started to ramp up on the Agusta but torque was missing below 6.

It took some getting used to.

Have you considered a MV triple?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7019A712-68D8-4331-986C-5048F17E3A4B.jpeg (156.0 KB, 259 views)

Old 25 July 2020, 01:30 PM   #24
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
As someone else noted, an excellent piece of kit. However, I'm not sure we should advise someone just coming into the sport bike world to buy something with 200hp..
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 01:38 PM   #25
Andad

They do have some amazing electronic aids and safety items on the new models

BMW Motorrad ABS
ABS PRO
DTC (Dynamic Traction Control)
HSC (Hill Start Control)
4 riding modes (Rain, Road, Dynamic, Race)
Shift Assist Pro
TFT-Display
LED-Turn Signal
LED-Headlight and Rearlight

Where my Bimota DB9S only has throttle and brakes.

Ps. I am not recommending the BMW in this instance.

Old 25 July 2020, 01:39 PM   #26
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Comparing just hp/tq data among the class of bikes mentioned, or comparing said data to an 800 lb cruiser is a wasted effort, when only the worlds best can take one to its limits. Sport bike performance is much more than 0-60 times. The suspension dynamics such as spring rates, rebound valving, compression valving, rake, trail, etc all play a role in their performance. Then the areas of braking, weight distribution, body position, and so on, etc etc etc. Buy a quality bike, learn to be proficient, and move in from there.
Old 25 July 2020, 01:44 PM   #27
Kube
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Ps. I am not recommending the BMW In this instance.
Friend of mine owns a BMW dealership. He's trying to sell me on them
Old 25 July 2020, 01:45 PM   #28
Kube
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Comparing just hp/tq data among the class of bikes mentioned, or comparing said data to an 800 lb cruiser is a wasted effort, when only the worlds best can take one to its limits. Sport bike performance is much more than 0-60 times. The suspension dynamics such as spring rates, rebound valving, compression valving, rake, trail, etc all play a role in their performance. Then the areas of braking, weight distribution, body position, and so on, etc etc etc. Buy a quality bike, learn to be proficient, and move in from there.
Fully agree
Old 26 July 2020, 02:16 AM   #29
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Strongly consider ABS. You don’t need it until you need it.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 02:46 AM   #30
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The R6 is a great track bike, I had a couple. Not the most comfortable bike on the road though. The R1 was a great road bike but I found it a handful on track. I had a CBR600RR and that was probably the best road/track bike combo that I owned.

But probably the best bike I ride on track that I didn’t own, that would also be great on road, was a GSX-R750

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote