The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 July 2020, 08:14 AM   #1
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Is purchasing a 5167R enough to be added to a 5167A waitlist?

Been eyeing a 5167A for a while, but have come to the realization that I will never find it at retail price especially if I don't buy a PM or something...

so just curious, 5167R actually looks good to me. Don't mind wearing that for a few years and sell it at a small loss as I wait. Assuming 5167R is somewhat more available with less demand, would purchasing that be enough for an AD to consider putting me on a waitlist for a 5167A? Don't mind waiting for a few years. Or do I need to spend way more money that that?

Thanks.
BigBallerBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 09:45 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

5167R also in demand and selling over retail on secondary market.... so I don’t think buying one hot watch is going to make you more likely to get another hot watch in this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I mean for the retail price of 5167r you could probably find a 5167a grey for that price. Unless of course you only want to pay retail for it. But then what’s the difference if you’re willing to put up $36k for 5167r? I have thought about this two and will probably just pay grey price instead of buying something I don’t really want in hopes of waiting and getting what I truly want. Good luck.
Old 28 July 2020, 10:05 AM   #4
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I've had this conversation with several AD's over the past few months and what I've been told is that every variation of the Aquanuat and Nautilus is waitlist only. The 5167R is certainly more obtainable than the 5167A (I've been quoted at 1-2 years vs 4-5 years for the A), but I've been told that buying the R will not help much with the A unfortunately.

That being said, it's definitely worth speaking directly with your AD's
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Buying the 5167R will probably make it harder to buy the 5167A, because it is also a hot piece.

You may ask your AD of course, what pieces will open the door to a 5167A.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 10:33 AM   #6
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Thanks. I had no idea that the 5167R was considered a hot piece nowadays
Old 28 July 2020, 11:12 AM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Recently I’ve been on this subforum more frequently as of late as PP is encroaching on my radar and the discussions are informative.

I love the 5167a. IMO it has a hands down amazing dial and beautiful case construction. It photographs very well. I have seen a few out in the wild and it looks perfect on other people and in all settings (from with a suit to with a swimsuit). Then I went to try one on. Of course not at an AD but asked my buddy who has a buddy with one. He obliged. The minute I put it on, i knew it was awesome but just not for me. Nothing bad at all to say about the watch but it just wasn’t for me and I knew it right away. Can’t quite say what it was but i just knew.

Im certainly no veteran or anything in the watch world but I am comfortable with where I am and confident in what I know and don’t know. Posting my story here only for the benefit of some of the other PP lurkers (myself included in this category so it’s not intended to be derogatory) so they can consider trying one on as well before cementing this as their one-and-only, holy grail watch.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 11:47 AM   #8
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
Been eyeing a 5167A for a while, but have come to the realization that I will never find it at retail price especially if I don't buy a PM or something...

so just curious, 5167R actually looks good to me. Don't mind wearing that for a few years and sell it at a small loss as I wait. Assuming 5167R is somewhat more available with less demand, would purchasing that be enough for an AD to consider putting me on a waitlist for a 5167A? Don't mind waiting for a few years. Or do I need to spend way more money that that?

Thanks.

Then why not just buy grey and wear the watch you want. Why buy a watch that ‘actually looks good to you’ that you ‘don’t mind wearing for a few years and sell at a loss’.

If you’re not a collector or big spender, just buy the watch you really want and wear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 12:11 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I love the 5167a. IMO it has a hands down amazing dial and beautiful case construction. It photographs very well. I have seen a few out in the wild and it looks perfect on other people and in all settings (from with a suit to with a swimsuit). Then I went to try one on. Of course not at an AD but asked my buddy who has a buddy with one. He obliged. The minute I put it on, i knew it was awesome but just not for me. Nothing bad at all to say about the watch but it just wasn’t for me and I knew it right away. Can’t quite say what it was but i just knew.
Agree you have to see stuff live on your wrist to be sure. I wanted to like the 5167A long before the hype and tried it on a few times but it never clicked. I didn't want it for 15k back then and don't want one today. There are lots of other Pateks to chose from which I have done since. While I still like the 5167A ok I didn't like the 5167R when I saw it in the wild. Dude had pale skin w freckles and in my eyes the R did not work for him color wise.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 02:42 PM   #10
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Agree you have to see stuff live on your wrist to be sure. I wanted to like the 5167A long before the hype and tried it on a few times but it never clicked. I didn't want it for 15k back then and don't want one today. There are lots of other Pateks to chose from which I have done since. While I still like the 5167A ok I didn't like the 5167R when I saw it in the wild. Dude had pale skin w freckles and in my eyes the R did not work for him color wise.
Which other pieces do you recommend?
Old 28 July 2020, 10:03 PM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which other pieces do you recommend?
I got a little 3998P Calatrava and a 5711 blue years ago but those may do little for you. Maybe the 5167A is the one but you should try it on to be sure. Depending on where you live this is easy enough to do.
Old 28 July 2020, 11:04 PM   #12
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I have been tracking inventory for 2 grey dealers and it seems whenever a 5167a arrives in their inventory, it’s sold within 2-3 days.
Old 28 July 2020, 11:25 PM   #13
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

I agree with others about the importance of verifying that it works on your wrist before purchasing. I've never purchased from a grey dealer so I can't speak to the process but if you're buying from an AD, you should have the opportunity to try it on once it arrives. If it doesn't work, you can politely decline to purchase (assuming you haven't paid a deposit).
Old 29 July 2020, 06:32 AM   #14
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
I agree with others about the importance of verifying that it works on your wrist before purchasing. I've never purchased from a grey dealer so I can't speak to the process but if you're buying from an AD, you should have the opportunity to try it on once it arrives. If it doesn't work, you can politely decline to purchase (assuming you haven't paid a deposit).
Try before you buy, not in my experience in the UK for 5167a and 5711a. You’ll get to see these in the brown shipping packaging only. The AD usually only break the seal once you’ve committed to buy, if you pass it’s back in the safe for next on the list.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 07:33 AM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
Try before you buy, not in my experience in the UK for 5167a and 5711a. You’ll get to see these in the brown shipping packaging only. The AD usually only break the seal once you’ve committed to buy, if you pass it’s back in the safe for next on the list.
Hundreds of these watches are for sale around the globe at any given moment in time and it is easy enough to try them on at preowned dealers. The city where I live has just 1.5 million people but there are several places, not ADs, where I can try them on tomorrow. You can also visit the Salon in Geneva, which I have done when I wanted to try on a newly launched hard-to-get piece not yet available in numbers at preowned dealers.
Old 29 July 2020, 04:53 PM   #16
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Hundreds of these watches are for sale around the globe at any given moment in time and it is easy enough to try them on at preowned dealers. The city where I live has just 1.5 million people but there are several places, not ADs, where I can try them on tomorrow. You can also visit the Salon in Geneva, which I have done when I wanted to try on a newly launched hard-to-get piece not yet available in numbers at preowned dealers.
Please read the quote and my reply, we are talking about “new” at an AD.

While international travel is great, l wouldn’t do this to look at 1 watch, save your $ guys. Better idea is wait for a Patek roadshow event at a local AD. You get to see and try on most of the range, the watches look and feel the same but are disabled in some way. They normally visit each AD once a year, but that was before COVID. Places are usually limited but definitely worth it, I usually get a free goodie bag as well.
Old 29 July 2020, 08:12 PM   #17
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Please read the quote and my reply, we are talking about “new” at an AD.

While international travel is great, l wouldn’t do this to look at 1 watch, save your $ guys. Better idea is wait for a Patek roadshow event at a local AD. You get to see and try on most of the range, the watches look and feel the same but are disabled in some way. They normally visit each AD once a year, but that was before COVID. Places are usually limited but definitely worth it, I usually get a free goodie bag as well.

Talking about whether it is possible to "try on "new" at an AD once you got the call" appeared beside the point, when the obvious thing to do is to "try on before ordering" as people had suggested to the OP all along (and I am not saying you disagree).

Visiting the Salon in Geneva and the Patek Museum is certainly worth while. In my case it takes about as long to get there as to visit my preferred AD. To each their own...
Old 29 July 2020, 10:41 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ask the dealer, and might want to get it in writing too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2020, 06:55 AM   #19
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
I have been tracking inventory for 2 grey dealers and it seems whenever a 5167a arrives in their inventory, it’s sold within 2-3 days.
Forgive me, but that hasn't been true for a little while now (unless I'm completely missing something).

Here's a recently bumped one posted on 7/15 ($34k list): https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=752643

And one on DavidSW's site that's also been up for a couple weeks ($35k list): https://davidsw.com/watches/patek-ph...a-aquanaut-17/
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 06:03 AM   #20
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Forgive me, but that hasn't been true for a little while now (unless I'm completely missing something).

Here's a recently bumped one posted on 7/15 ($34k list): https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=752643

And one on DavidSW's site that's also been up for a couple weeks ($35k list): https://davidsw.com/watches/patek-ph...a-aquanaut-17/
I haven’t been following those particular dealers. I’ve been following Watchbox and European Watch company. Watchbox had a 5168g online for 2 days and sold. Earlier in April/may that had 3 5167a and now I haven’t seen one since. European sold 2 5167a recently and has two 5168g plus dual time Tiffany stamped.
Old 2 August 2020, 06:15 AM   #21
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
not to make a punt on OP name, but when you are balling hard enough to buy a 5167r, why the hell would you even be interested in a 5167a unless you want to make a quick and easy profit flipping it?
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:30 PM   #22
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
not to make a punt on OP name, but when you are balling hard enough to buy a 5167r, why the hell would you even be interested in a 5167a unless you want to make a quick and easy profit flipping it?
Because some people think SS looks better?
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 07:58 PM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Because some people think SS looks better?

Agree... I could have bought either but chose the 5167a better for this reference I like SS and black dial better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:26 PM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Assuming 5167R is somewhat more available with less demand, would purchasing that be enough for an AD to consider putting me on a waitlist for a 5167A? Don't mind waiting for a few years. Or do I need to spend way more money that that?
What did your PP AD say?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:43 PM   #25
Palex
"TRF" Member

If you like it, buy it, grey. I did the same, several times. Most likely you won't lose money. Waiting however, could cost you...
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 06:39 AM   #26
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting. When I bought my 5711 years ago they only asked for final approval to proceed with the purchase after I had tried the watch on. Perhaps the process has changed now with surging demand.
Old 6 August 2020, 07:01 AM   #27
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
Interesting. When I bought my 5711 years ago they only asked for final approval to proceed with the purchase after I had tried the watch on. Perhaps the process has changed now with surging demand.
My experience is similar. When I bought a 5711 two years ago it was fully unsealed when the AD presented it to me. No problem trying it on, but I am sure they'd have been surprised had I not proceeded.
Old 6 August 2020, 05:05 PM   #28
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Well my AD keep all “Customer orders” and waiting list Patek’s sealed, and the customer breaks the seal themselves, unless it’s from the window of course. I guess it’s to show it’s not been handled by lots of random strangers and make the experience better.

I have been shown some very special watches over the years including a 5711p anniversary but they never opened them up and let me try them on.
Old 6 August 2020, 05:10 PM   #29
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'm glad my AD doesn't let randos try on my hard earned watches.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 10:01 PM   #30
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Makes no logic buying the R, just so after some years to get the SS. Go grey, you'll spend less than with your scenario.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote