The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Watch enthusiast447
"TRF" Member

Does stopping in at AD help get watch(5711)

Hello,

I heard that building a "relationship" with AD helps you get a watch, but if you are not a previous PP owner and you're shooting for a 5711(I know my chances are close to if not zero), Does stopping in at the AD on a monthly basis help your chances?

If not, what other things can I do to build a relationship with that AD other than buying non-desirable watches from them?

Thanks
Watch enthusiast447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:12 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=755952
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
It used to be like that, years ago. The 5711 is too hot now.
My AD who is the only AD in quite a large city on avg gets 1-3 blue 5711 a year.

Off topic but I know someone who spent 100k+ on jewelry in one visit from the AD and was offered a 5726. So it’s a bit more than just popping and saying hello every now and then. It’s just how it is now if you’re new to the brand

And no don’t buy pieces you don’t want just to get a piece you want, that’s why we have grey market.
Don’t spend more money just so you have to spend money

I’ve bought a watch from AD before and am still a small fish compared to others who want a 5711
Kevin o’Leary aka mr wonderful from shark tank waited 8 years for his and hes a billionaire
Old 3 August 2020, 04:17 PM   #4
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Are you a celebrity....??

If yes, then you have a chance......

If you a nobody then again.......

You got to ask yourself........

"Are you special....??"

Meaning what benefit the AD by putting you on the list or getting you a 5711.....

Why would a AD giving away a 5711 plus at least $20,000 in cash the minutes you walk off from the AD......

Come on..... Common sense....

Yes, the truth hurt.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:40 PM   #5
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

There are also the rumors where they will sell a 5711 to higher profile academics and medical professionals upon receiving a business card and scrutinizing their credentials.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 04:47 PM   #6
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Are you a celebrity....??

If yes, then you have a chance......

If you a nobody then again.......

You got to ask yourself........

"Are you special....??"

Meaning what benefit the AD by putting you on the list or getting you a 5711.....

Why would a AD giving away a 5711 plus at least $20,000 in cash the minutes you walk off from the AD......

Come on..... Common sense....

Yes, the truth hurt.....

This. Especially in the UK.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:11 PM   #7
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
There are also the rumors where they will sell a 5711 to higher profile academics and medical professionals upon receiving a business card and scrutinizing their credentials.
That’s the way it works in Hong Kong. The AD does not decide - the Patek representative chooses who to sell to. No purchase history necessary to get a Nautilus or Aquanaut. But being referred by a good customer helps (on top of the nice looking business card.) Oh and yes they do some sort of background check and due diligence before they will approve the sale.

Not likely the case in other parts of the world. Different policies in different places.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 05:33 PM   #8
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
In our country owner of the boutique decides who gets what and no other staff has any power on selling watches. Their duty is to explain why the watch is not available for sale to the customers politely.
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2020, 07:15 PM   #9
yoast
"TRF" Member

Yawn
Old 3 August 2020, 09:44 PM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Buy undesirable stuff, no way around it
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 02:09 AM   #11
Watch enthusiast447
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info! So, "Nice looking business cards" should help at least a little, right?
Old 4 August 2020, 02:25 AM   #12
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I don't know too much about Patek but I know enough to say you really are wasting your time.

If you don't have the profile or spending power there really is practically zero chance of charming your way into getting one. Why would they sell you one as, what sounds like, a one off purchase?
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:15 AM   #13
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch enthusiast447 View Post
Thanks for the info! So, "Nice looking business cards" should help at least a little, right?
The only thing that will help is buying a Patek dress watch in their case. Even buying this is no guarantee. Just ask the AD straight up what it takes to get a 5711.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:26 AM   #14
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
It's conversations like this that confirm two things:

1) The watch market is and will remain very influenced by trends, and
2) The gray market will get only bigger and bigger
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:39 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Does stopping in at the AD on a monthly basis help your chances?
Sure!

You will be right behind the guy that stops by each week and he is behind the guy that stops by each day
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:39 AM   #16
Sirocco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
It's conversations like this that confirm two things:

1) The watch market is and will remain very influenced by trends, and
2) The gray market will get only bigger and bigger

+100000

There are plenty watches within the current and past productions from PP that are absolutely gorgeous and underated..
Sirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 03:46 AM   #17
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

I heard that building a "relationship" with AD helps you get a watch, but if you are not a previous PP owner and you're shooting for a 5711(I know my chances are close to if not zero), Does stopping in at the AD on a monthly basis help your chances?

If not, what other things can I do to build a relationship with that AD other than buying non-desirable watches from them?

Thanks
Quote:
No offense, but this is getting a little crazy. Like why would an AD appreciate seeing you every month and wasting their time? Or why would some internet stranger with a magic trick to get 5711s share it with you on here?

It is very simple. Go see some ADs, introduce yourself, tell them what you want and why, and that you are ready to patiently wait, possibly ask if there is anything else you can do, and see how far you get. Many people on here did just that. If that doesn't work for you, go grey or move on.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:52 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The important question to answer if you are trying to get on a waitlist at an AD is "Why do you want this watch?"

If your answer is "Because it is a hot watch and everyone else wants it", then good luck!

If your answer is "I have always been a watch enthusiast for a long time and finally want to get a Patek", then be ready to share what other watches you have/had and what about this watch interests you.

ADs need to screen you to make sure you are not a flipper, or broker or a speculator. It is almost like a job interview.

If you show no interest in any other Patek or other Swiss watches, I doubt an AD is going to take you seriously as a genuine watch person. You can stop in once a month, but I don't see how that will help.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 05:02 AM   #19
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I see this is your second thread on this topic. Honestly, if you really want it go grey. Very difficult watch to get at retail.
Old 4 August 2020, 05:07 AM   #20
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
the important question to answer if you are trying to get on a waitlist at an ad is "why do you want this watch?"

if your answer is "because it is a hot watch and everyone else wants it", then good luck!

if your answer is "i have always been a watch enthusiast for a long time and finally want to get a patek", then be ready to share what other watches you have/had and what about this watch interests you.

Ads need to screen you to make sure you are not a flipper, or broker or a speculator. It is almost like a job interview.

if you show no interest in any other patek or other swiss watches, i doubt an ad is going to take you seriously as a genuine watch person. You can stop in once a month, but i don't see how that will help.
+1. In this sense, stopping by occasionally might help your case if you've bought other watches from that AD and prove you actually wear them.
Mbbgysam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 06:29 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Stopping by an AD does not build a relationship which is actually defined as being a good customer of the store. If you want the watch, 5711, at retail, start building a significant PP collection of the pieces you can buy from this AD. Really the only benefit of that is having your name on the papers. Cheaper and much quicker to buy used for market price.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 07:36 AM   #22
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Man I've seen threads on obtaining the 5711 and 5167a non stop on here lately. I guess the virus has not slowed down the desirability of either model and that secondary market prices will not drop much more. Glad I have both models now I just need my AD to say my 5712 is in.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 08:48 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Buy undesirable stuff, no way around it
Have to agree, going in often and establishing a rapport will help with the non-hot watches that otherwise could still be a fairly long wait, House Patek is a very in demand Maison at the moment.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:23 AM   #24
Watch enthusiast447
"TRF" Member

Got it, Thanks!
Old 4 August 2020, 10:57 AM   #25
LAwatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
How do you know the AD takes you seriously though? When you talk to a salesperson in an AD, everyone seems nice and willing to help. But how do you actually distinguish a salesperson who just want to take your money and have no plans to ever get you the watch you want vs a salesperson who is honest about buying some models and will put you in consideration for a 5711?
LAwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:36 PM   #26
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Worked for me. Visited AD thrice a week. Got my 5711 before end of the year. In time for Christmas.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 04:49 PM   #27
m56
Banned

I won't say it's a guarantee. For what I know, stopping in doesn't change a thing.
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 07:15 PM   #28
Custom02
"TRF" Member

Can you imagine anything more time wasting and annoying from a salespersons perspective then someone coming in not once but multiple times making pointless conversation, perhaps asking to look at other watches with no intention whatsoever to buy with the sole ambition of wanting to purchase the one watch they could literally sell 100X over.

If this tactic was to work- it would certainly be with the motivation of putting a stop to the irritation of having deal with such a nuisance. Although I imagine barring that person from the shop entirely would be easier (if that can be done).
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 07:29 PM   #29
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Don’t know what you do for a living but just imagine:

- Being a doctor and with patients constantly asking for referrals and procedures that are neither insured nor yours to allocate.

- Being an airline employee and being constantly asked for upgrades. Despite lack of FF status, special occasion or appropriate ticket.

- Being a wine trader and being asked only for those hot releases that are sure to sell for more than the wholesale price.

- Being an artist and having people asking you to do doodles on napkins that are then sold on eBay.

In which of these and any other analogy would being pestered regularily by the same person with the same intention (even if cloaked in smalltalk etc) ever lead to a better chance of liking this person so much that you relent? The only scenario where OP gets hos 5711 this way is if someone decides to sell him one in order to stop him from coming in anymore.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 07:39 PM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I think a good way is for AD to register the name of keen parties in an interest list with no promise of timing or delivery. The senior management will get to choose who to allocate to based on their database of spending. Whenever a "persistent" customer walk in for his/her 5711, the sales person can refer him/her to the faceless senior management for a decisive rejection.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote