The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: AD performing a “background check”
YES - I have nothing to hide and it will prevent flipping 41 28.67%
NO - It’s nobody’s business / ADs should sell to anyone 83 58.04%
Don’t know / Don’t care / Other 19 13.29%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 August 2020, 09:24 AM   #31
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I just heard from a guy I know who “knows a guy” that apparently gets first choice on any watch he wants from my AD. He buys many watches a year but flips most all of them. Apparently he gets first dibs and is getting the guy I know a Pepsi at cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:29 AM   #32
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
It's just a watch, I'm not adopting their kid. They make the same profit whether I love the watch or sell it in the parking lot. Simple relationship, seller & buyer, nothing more or less.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:32 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

It shows up on their screens from the chip in your head.

And you laughed at tin foil hats.
Old 11 August 2020, 09:43 AM   #34
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Lol. I still don't understand why after all this time people still think it's the general public doing the majority of selling to the grey market.
Even rolex know they've got a problem with their ad's

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:57 AM   #35
mitc5502
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II; SubC
If I ever buy another Rolex I’ll just do what I did the last time, buy pre-owned with box/papers from Chrono24. I love Rolex, but the AD nonsense is just out of control.
mitc5502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 10:29 AM   #36
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
Lol. I still don't understand why after all this time people still think it's the general public doing the majority of selling to the grey market.
Even rolex know they've got a problem with their ad's

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitc5502 View Post
If I ever buy another Rolex I’ll just do what I did the last time, buy pre-owned with box/papers from Chrono24. I love Rolex, but the AD nonsense is just out of control.
Agree & Agree
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 10:37 AM   #37
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Jeebus.
Reported!!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 11:13 AM   #38
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
Reported!!
False reported, REPORTED!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 11:52 AM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Can they check my browsing history?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:15 PM   #40
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

not in this lifetime
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:12 PM   #41
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Many ADs do an admirable job trying to ensure that the watches they sell end up with customers who will wear and enjoy the watches for many years — not flip them for a quick profit or immediately sell them into the secondary market.

Would it be OK if your AD conducted a “background check” on you to verify your intentions? Reviewed all your social media posts, your history on Facebook marketplace/eBay/etc., and asked you to physically come into the showroom for an in-person meeting (vetting) to qualify you to buy a watch from them? Are you willing to do your part in the effort to minimize flipping?

Thoughts?

Don’t think it’s worth considering IMHO.

The vetting would be wasted on 98% of the people who walked through the front door.

The 2% of buyers who are flippers are known to the AD who plays that angle methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 03:16 PM   #42
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
I was vetted by Rolex Geneva SA before being invited to buy the SARU and the RNBOW. I had to send proof of address and a copy of my ID card

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Could this have also been about anti money laundering given the high value of something so easily transported globally ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 03:43 PM   #43
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Can they check my browsing history?
For god sake Brian — duck duck go!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 05:03 PM   #44
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I’d have no issue with it. There are a bunch of people on here that moan about flippers, and yet complain about ADs or Rolex doing anything about it. How dare they check my social media. How dare they want to meet me in person. How dare they take the stickers off. How dare they retain warranty cards. Jeez.

It’s the same as moaning that ADs prioritise loyal customers and sometimes manipulate lists. Meanwhile, those complaining are often on lists at multiple ADs.

I’ve no problem with any of it. I’m not entitled to be able to have whatever I want whenever I want. They are the sellers, I can choose to play by their rules or go elsewhere, that’s my choice. How they choose to run their business though, that is none of my business.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:33 PM   #45
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I wont ever be interviewed to spend my money for a watch, I wont ever be interviewed and judged on how I will or will not treat any items that I want to own. If anything, it is up to the AD to prove to me that they are reliable and worth my business. I do not need a watch that much that I have to prove myself to anyone for the pleasure of buying it. It is a fickle world, as I walk past a boarded up and failed AD, I don't give them a second thought.

Just for clarity, I have never sold a watch for profit, I have never been on any list, I have never bought from a grey dealer, I have only ever bought watches from a brick and mortar shop and have never bought one that is not new.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:42 PM   #46
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
It is a fickle world, as I walk past a boarded up and failed AD, I don't give them a second thought.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I spare a thought for every failed business I see.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:56 PM   #47
Andad

Watch: A few.
The only two background checks that mean anything to me are:

National Police Check.

DCSI working with children and the vulnerable.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:59 PM   #48
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
Would it be OK if your AD conducted a “background check” on you to verify your intentions? Reviewed all your social media posts, your history on Facebook marketplace/eBay/etc., and asked you to physically come into the showroom for an in-person meeting (vetting) to qualify you to buy a watch from them? Are you willing to do your part in the effort to minimize flipping?

Thoughts?
Lol, nothing to check here then. I have no social media (posts), no FB or marketplace. I do have Ebay, but i sell nothing, so they can check that.

But yes, i am willing to do my part to minimize flipping. But please do know that most grey selling comes from AD's itself. They are the biggest source of selling watches to greys.
Old 11 August 2020, 08:10 PM   #49
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Don’t think it’s worth considering IMHO.

The vetting would be wasted on 98% of the people who walked through the front door.

The 2% of buyers who are flippers are known to the AD who plays that angle methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed.

Stay safe.
Old 11 August 2020, 08:48 PM   #50
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Are you willing to do your part in the effort to minimize flipping?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 09:16 PM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No I won’t be submitting background checks or hard credit pulls for my jewelry purchases.

Old 11 August 2020, 10:04 PM   #52
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sure, why not. Sell me the watch or don't.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 01:47 AM   #53
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

With this credit report you can't have zee duck.

You can have the chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ewVNIvKBh0
Old 12 August 2020, 02:41 AM   #54
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

you have to be kidding me.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #55
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many ADs do an admirable job trying to ensure that the watches they sell end up with customers who will wear and enjoy the watches for many years — not flip them for a quick profit or immediately sell them into the secondary market.

Thoughts?
Would you object to TRF, conducting a background check and thoroughly vetting your financial status, criminal record, education records, etc, etc, etc?
We all need to know everything about you before you participate any further here.

Not keen?..... thought so.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 03:44 AM   #56
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Would you object to TRF, conducting a background check and thoroughly vetting your financial status, criminal record, education records, etc, etc, etc?
We all need to know everything about you before you participate any further here.

Not keen?..... thought so.
Apples and oranges... but it’s a discussion forum, so I’ll answer.

If TRF wanted to keep out certain people who didn’t have a passion for Rolex, there’s nothing wrong with their reviewing publicly available information, and asking a few qualifying questions. They do this a lot for private FB groups.

Now, in the spirit of carrying on the dialog, if I may ask you a question....

Is it logically consistent to be upset with (a) ADs who flip and (b) honorable ADs who try to vet their customers

AND then...

take your business away from good ADs and give it to bad ADs because you don’t want the AD knowing your business or you feel the ADs should just sell the watch to anybody that shows up with money?
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 03:57 AM   #57
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Is this for every watch? If not, who makes the decision as to which watches trigger the vetting process. What happens if a known flipper/Grey dealer wants to buy a watch that doesn't make the vetting list, should the AD sell it to him/her and if they do, are they being "honourable.?" Or are they taking advantage of the market to sell a "normal" watch to someone they have previously judged a bad bet..

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:07 AM   #58
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thoughts?

It’s their business, they can conduct it whatever way the choose to, within the law.

Just like you can “vote” with your money and chose whether you want that sort of thing or not.

To me, this is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard. It’s just a damn watch.

JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:16 AM   #59
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Is this for every watch? If not, who makes the decision as to which watches trigger the vetting process. What happens if a known flipper/Grey dealer wants to buy a watch that doesn't make the vetting list, should the AD sell it to him/her and if they do, are they being "honourable.?" Or are they taking advantage of the market to sell a "normal" watch to someone they have previously judged a bad bet..
1. The desirable in-demand ones. Everyone knows which ones those are. The ones kept in the back.

2. The store management decides.

3. Not sure I understand your flipper question. But, if the AD surmises the person is a broker or buying to flip, the AD just says the watch is unavailable or they skip that person — which is something that happens every single day anyway.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #60
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
the AD just says the watch is unavailable or they skip that person — which is something that happens every single day anyway.
Exactly, the AD sells all of their inventory.

You simply want to alter who it goes to because you are unhappy. Welcome to life, get on with it.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote