The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 May 2021, 12:19 AM   #31
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninFlorida View Post
great watch....i agree on condition, especially the polishing...i'd be more concerned that you are one of the ones that wear their watch incorrectly...you know, past the wrist :)
ha!
Yes...I agree. Me, well, I seem to worry more about those that eat donuts with their watch hand - especially if it is upside down on their wrist. Shameful habit!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 12:35 AM   #32
stewester
"TRF" Member

For me it's about finding a happy medium. In the early days of my vintage collecting I was just thrilled to have a nice looking, original watch.

Once you start delving deeper then you do start to look at the more intricate details - has it been overpolished, is the insert original, are the hands original and so on. It can become somewhat obsessive.

The reality is that it's very difficult to find a 30+ year old watch that is in perfect condition, and as you go older then it becomes harder still. Watches from this time period were properly worn, and Rolex's servicing practices mean that it's inevitable that watches were polished, had parts replaced etc. The watches that are genuinely 'untouched' to use a dealer phrase are few and far between, and many sold as 'untouched' have actually been 'touched' several times.

As others have said, as long as you factor in replacement parts, polishing etc. and ultimately like the watch (because that's surely what it should be all about) then you can't go far wrong.
stewester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 01:00 AM   #33
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

One of the quotes I remember is "Condition really matters in the SECOND one you buy!" and this has held true for me. Often, when I love a vintage example, I'm delighted to find one that I can afford in any shape and buy it. When I've truly fallen in love with the reference, I sometimes look for the most pristine example I can find, since I already know I love it and would like to have a perfect one for collection and occasional low-stress wear.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:39 AM   #34
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
I started buying the cheapest and now I pay the price for having poor quality, but the bright side is that I can wear them, even rare reference, without caring to much about.
The past few year I changed and now I'll go for condition, trying to buy the best I can afford.
Obviously authenticity is implied.
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 10:56 AM   #35
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I've felt more of the opposite over time. I greatly prefer excellent condition. I don't mind minor scratches but significant damage on a vintage model (patina) is not my thing. Over polishing really bugs me a lot too. I love crisp sharp original lines. Would rather have tons of little scratches rather than any polishing and a nice clean dial/bezel compared to a "tropical" bezel and dial.

*After reading comments I noticed they're being worn high on the wrist also and with the wearer's wrist being on the smaller side it's making me feel uncomfortable just looking at it. I'm sure it feels fine and that's why he's wearing it like that. But, it does kinda give me the nails on a chalkboard sensation.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:05 AM   #36
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I've felt more of the opposite over time. I greatly prefer excellent condition. I don't mind minor scratches but significant damage on a vintage model (patina) is not my thing. Over polishing really bugs me a lot too. I love crisp sharp original lines. Would rather have tons of little scratches rather than any polishing and a nice clean dial/bezel compared to a "tropical" bezel and dial.

*After reading comments I noticed they're being worn high on the wrist also and with the wearer's wrist being on the smaller side it's making me feel uncomfortable just looking at it. I'm sure it feels fine and that's why he's wearing it like that. But, it does kinda give me the nails on a chalkboard sensation.
Comments like this always make me laugh - I never thought I'd encounter so many people who thought they knew where wrist watches should be worn. A watch is a watch - wear it where it feels comfortable to you! I've never looked at someone's watch and said "man, it PAINS me to see him wear it above / below the wrist bone"...to each their own though.
Old 9 May 2021, 11:10 AM   #37
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
That 16800 is so nice! Great choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:36 AM   #38
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Opinion - people worry too much about condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Comments like this always make me laugh - I never thought I'd encounter so many people who thought they knew where wrist watches should be worn. A watch is a watch - wear it where it feels comfortable to you! I've never looked at someone's watch and said "man, it PAINS me to see him wear it above / below the wrist bone"...to each their own though.

As long as it’s not that weird four links too big below the wrist bone look, i don’t really care. This look is simply absurd.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 11:43 AM   #39
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
That 16800 is so nice! Great choice!

Thanks Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
As long as it’s not that weird four links too big below the wrist bone look, i don’t really care. This look is simply absurd.

Ok, now that's just a crime against humanity.
Old 9 May 2021, 02:10 PM   #40
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Like Bieber's DayDate Some people have more money than sense.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:33 PM   #41
cardiel
"TRF" Member

And how often do we see the comment that the insert is wrong.....and that the owner must shell out a huge amount to make it correct? I would happily wear a watch with service parts, or an incorrect insert.....just to get in the game!
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 01:20 AM   #42
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
I tend to agree...Wore my 16610LV on my climb of Mt. Rainier. Bought these things to wear 'em.
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 01:41 AM   #43
Andjwhite
"TRF" Member

I am not a “collector” but I have owned several Rolex. I’ve traded them in and now only own one 5513. Condition was first priority when selecting my final watch. If I’m going to wear it every day I don’t want a polished watch or an unattractive dial or hands. It’s of course all the owner’s opinion but that’s just me. Service parts etc are fine if they are period correct... a little worn and scratched is fine also. These are old watches after all.
Andjwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 02:01 AM   #44
subx
"TRF" Member

polished may not bother you at first,
but once you go unpolished,
you will never want a polished watch ever again
Old 18 May 2021, 05:51 AM   #45
yowlie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 pumpkin
I loathe Rolex polishing. A Rolex can withstand almost anything, except the local watchmaker. "Ah a solid gold Rolex from 1973; let me get my wire brush!" And the vintage boom is destroying vintage watches 24/7, because a lot of auction site flippers automatically polish old subs and SD's, because they look "good as new!" And then they call it Mint. It cannot be mint if it is polished any more than a car with bondo can be mint. Shiny and mint are not the same thing. Who polishes a Sea-Dweller???? It's a tool watch for deep diving.
yowlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:00 AM   #46
CJS57
"TRF" Member

For a daily driver, the trick is to get the condition just right for wearing it. Too nice and it stays mainly in the safe. A good looking watch with some wear and usage and you don't have to worry about it. And I love that another owner wore it a cherished it before me.
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 08:23 AM   #47
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post

20210429_114508.jpg
Is this damage or patina?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 09:11 PM   #48
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Attachment 1221895
Is this damage or patina?
A pro polish will fix the damage
Old 19 May 2021, 09:31 PM   #49
Chris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
A pro polish will fix the damage
The bracelet is well stretched i was referring to the dial.
I replied to the post as he suggedted patina was damage. So i wondered is the dial considered damaged,
I thought patina was gained tbrough natural aging and not considered damaged. If it is damaged i wondered what people thought may have caused it. Or is there a variance of opinion, on what is damage or patina?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 01:22 AM   #50
HanDavinci
"TRF" Member

I think condition is one of the most important things.IMG_20210518_124145_041.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk
HanDavinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2021, 05:45 PM   #51
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanDavinci View Post
I think condition is one of the most important things.Attachment 1222211

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk
Sure but with that particular watch there is no way on earth you would know if had been polished or not unless you bought it new.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote