The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2021, 12:44 PM   #1
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
GS SBGN019, SBGN021, SBGN023 - new 9F86 GMTs

They’re not cheap - these are the U.S. prices - but they do look great. Really like the textured dials.

Courtesy of Grand Seiko, new quartz GMTs added to the sport line:

“The three watches have Grand Seiko’s ‘Tough’ design, which was last featured in SBGX341 and SBGX343. They measure 40mm in diameter, are rated to 20 bar water resistance, and feature a magnetic resistance rating of 16,000 A/m (approx. 200 gauss), which is roughly three times the more common 4,800 A/m rating (60 gauss).”

MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:26 PM   #2
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Pretty cool! That red really pops
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:31 PM   #3
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Pretty cool! That red really pops

Whatever color it is, definitely, it does pop! According to the GS website, that’s actually orange - their stock photos and descriptions aren’t the best.
Old 10 May 2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

They look great.

A bit pricey. It will be interesting to see how these do in the market.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 10:11 PM   #5
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
Whatever color it is, definitely, it does pop! According to the GS website, that’s actually orange - their stock photos and descriptions aren’t the best.
For an 'upmarket' brand, I find the stock photos on Seiko and GS's various own websites are pretty poor across the whole range, you really have to wait for a third party review site that mixes marketing photos with their own macro shots, or wait until they get out onto people's wrists in the mainstream to be shared on forums. Other brands are much better at getting sharp and accurate photos onto their own sites. The limited edition 'yellowy' one seems to be yellow gold coloured per their press release.

Shame they couldn't do the LE with the 5-sec /year accuracy they have on their special edition time only quartzes, but 10s is not bad!

I'm wondering whether they'll have many other anniversary releases planned for later in the year. My dad has his own special anniversary coming up at the end of the year (50th wedding) and it would be nice to get him something with a splash of gold on it, but he doesn't need the GMT as his family are all in the same country and if he travelled to a beach holiday he wouldn't take a £5k watch with him. A basic three-hander with a nice dial would be ideal, and ideally quartz so he doesn't need to fiddle around setting and resetting it.

If the GS design gods are reading this, get on it!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:54 PM   #6
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Hate to be a negative nelly here, but I really scratch my head sometimes when I see the direction GS is taking with some of their new releases. Sure the dial looks great and the ceramic is sure to pop nicely, but what are they thinking with that price increase? I'm afraid 4,550 is a steep price for those marginal upgrades. Meanwhile, they managed to make the case thickness EVEN greater than the older model. I'm sorry, but a 13 mm thick case for a quartz watch? I get that it's 200m water resistant, but nobody needs this watch for diving. It's not a diver. It's a GMT. Also the increased anti-magnetism is less relevant for a quartz movement.

Still the same old bracelet with the same failure of a clasp.

Frankly, I still think the SBGN005 is a better watch, nicer case dimensions and thickness, and I love the crown-guards and steel bezel on that model. Same 9F movement. More reasonable price.

I just hope they nail the next snowflake release/upgrade, whenever that comes out. It needs to be 38 to 39 mm max, and <12 mm thick, with a decent bracelet, hopefully tapered and comfortable. None of that pins-and-collar nonsense. Real screws. And adjustable clasp.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:16 PM   #7
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
with a decent bracelet, hopefully tapered and comfortable. None of that pins-and-collar nonsense. Real screws. And adjustable clasp.
+1 to that. The idea of a $4-10k watch on a bracelet without a clasp adjustment is getting more ridiculous these days.

GS makes some really nice dials, well finished hands and indexes etc... but the bracelet is the bit that you're actually wearing - and has always been a weak point.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:43 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the model with the red accents.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:54 PM   #9
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
+1 to that. The idea of a $4-10k watch on a bracelet without a clasp adjustment is getting more ridiculous these days.

GS makes some really nice dials, well finished hands and indexes etc... but the bracelet is the bit that you're actually wearing - and has always been a weak point.

I concur in part - the bracelets/clasps on my SBGN005 and SBGJ201 aren’t exactly the respective watches’ high points.

The bracelets and clasps on my SBGA231 and SBGE257 (which I’m wearing today) are each fantastic, however.

If they put the same solid bracelet and clasp on the new models that’s on my 257 GMT, I’d be happy with them.

Old 12 May 2021, 04:31 AM   #10
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

There’s a video on Time + Tide right now - these models appear to have the same clasp as on my SBGN005, not the one with micro-adjust that’s on my SBGE257.

That’s a bummer, but not a deal-breaker for me.

It does taper from 20mm at the lugs to 18mm at the clasp, which should help it sit comfortably.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:47 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

GS SBGN019, SBGN021, SBGN023 - new 9F86 GMTs

Swing and a miss IMO.
I say this as an owner of SBGN003, which to me is a much nicer watch aesthetically.

Here’s what I don’t like about the new lineup:
-the dial- way too “fancy” for what’s supposed to be a sports watch
-crown and date at 4p. Ugh.
-no improvement in clasp
-the price . I mean I thought $3200 was a reach for a 9F … 40% increase in price for the new line up - yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:58 AM   #12
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Swing and a miss IMO.
I say this as an owner of SBGN003, which to me is a much nicer watch aesthetically.

Here’s what I don’t like about the new lineup:
-the dial- way too “fancy” for what’s supposed to be a sports watch
-crown and date at 4p. Ugh.
-no improvement in clasp
-the price . I mean I thought $3200 was a reach for a 9F … 40% increase in price for the new line up - yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea, I don’t know what to think at this point.

I love the 40mm size, the aggressive case shape, respectfully disagree with you on the dial (huge fan…yes, it’s a bit fussy for a sports watch, but to each their own) the lume (green, save for the gmt hand in blue lume, which is a thoughtful touch), ceramic bezel, true GMT capability, 9F grab n go convenience/accuracy.

Concur with you on the bracelet - it’s not a draw at all. But with drilled 20mm lugs, lots of strap options will likely work on it.

Also, the price leaves a lot to be desired. I may just stick with my spring drive GMT and the 9F GMT I already have (SBGN005) and leave these be for the moment.
Old 12 May 2021, 01:09 PM   #13
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I was looking at the SBGN005 for a daily/travel watch that I can pick up and just put on without having to fiddle with the time setting. Words came out that GS is going to come out with new models and I like the looks of the pictures. So I was going to wait and think maybe I can pick one up for a couple of hundreds dollars more. It was quite shocking to see it went from $3200 for a SBGN005 to $4550 for the SBGN021, a whooping 42% increase for a watch with the same movement and some esthetic make over. I think GS is getting greedy due to their increased popularity. They are charging whatever they think they can get. I was hesitant paying $3200 for a quartz watch and its definitely a hard pass for me for $4550. After all I prefer the dial and the thinner case of the SBGN005 anyways. Thanks but no thanks!
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote