The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 May 2021, 12:33 PM   #61
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Just for fun see if there’s a date inside the caseback. A rubber ball will help open the caseback.
It’s not that uncommon to have the serial worn off by the endlinks. Personally I’d have it serviced by rolex and have a service dial and hands installed.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 02:27 PM   #62
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp095 View Post
...Another route would be a authorized dealer with an in-house watchmaker, they will have access to all the parts available to service your watch.
Not necessarily. My Rolex AD has a watch tech on site, but he always sends my vintage stuff on to the RSC when I need something.

I guess he only works on modern pieces. Or is just very lazy.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 06:32 PM   #63
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
Just for fun see if there’s a date inside the caseback. A rubber ball will help open the caseback.
It’s not that uncommon to have the serial worn off by the endlinks. Personally I’d have it serviced by rolex and have a service dial and hands installed.
How does a rubber ball ‘help’ to open an old watch’s case back?

Just wondering if it opens it or not?

I have read about this but have never watched it happen?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 08:01 PM   #64
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeMike View Post
Where is the cheapest place to get a service dial? Internet searches pull up dials in the $2k-$3k range. Can you recommend a place for service dials or at the very least one that looks super damn close to original that wont break the bank? Thanks again for your help!
Tswisst.de or chrono24 (accessories)

Investing 2K to 3K for a correct dial is something I would do in a heartbeat.

I don’t think the RSC will accept the watch for service with this installed dial.
You might try locate a cheap damaged dial and than off to the RSC for a service dial and overhaul.

If you are able to find a correct dial than I would sent it off to LAWW or Rolliworks for a case recut. It will come back looking better than new but it’s not cheap.
Rolex game never is
It will be worth it though imho
Old 12 May 2021, 09:16 PM   #65
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Grip + torque = rotation. In other words, you push the ball down hard on the caseback, the rubber provides high friction against the metal, and you just turn the ball to open.

Works a treat, and no risk of scratching or gauging like you get with metal caseback tools.

You can actually buy balls specifically for this purpose. I've also had success with just a ball of duct tape, sticky side out.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2021, 09:35 PM   #66
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

Just wondering if it opens it or not?

I have read about this but have never watched it happen?
It does. I've seen many watchmakers doing that over the years.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 03:41 AM   #67
Eric88
"TRF" Member

If Rolex will take the watch, get yourself a new service dial and hands. I have this on my 1680 and really like the functionality of bright luminova. Matte service dials are quite attractive.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:12 AM   #68
Das
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me rephrase. I regret posting on WUS. You folks have been way nicer
For the most part. I guess it’s hard to learn and be taken seriously on a message board when people can’t see exactly what you’re working with. I appreciate the constructive feedback though!
WUS is toxic as hell. I could name the 3 or 4 people that have made the place unbearable, but I won't!
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:17 AM   #69
Das
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
where are you getting this information from? a replacement service dial from rolex for a "few hundred dollars".... seriously?! lets not get the OP's hopes up by giving unsubstantiated quotes like this. I'm happy to be corrected of course.
New dial and hand sets are £450-700 here in the UK, depending on the watch.

RSC Kent wouldn't service one of my watches because the serial was worn out, due to the bracelet and also pitting/metal fatigue. They kept it for 6 werks only to tell me they couldn't work on it unfortunately.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:11 AM   #70
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Is there a forum sponsor with an account that can order service dials? Or is that not possible due to Rolex being scared they will buy them at cost and sell them for $4k? I’m going to call RSC and see if they’ll work on mine but the rubbed off SN# has me thinking they wont.
HandsomeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:25 AM   #71
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there a forum sponsor with an account that can order service dials? Or is that not possible due to Rolex being scared they will buy them at cost and sell them for $4k? I’m going to call RSC and see if they’ll work on mine but the rubbed off SN# has me thinking they wont.
Highly unlikely on the first question. Your best bet if you can't use RSC would be to watch the for sale postings here and other watch forums, perhaps post a want to buy ad and try to source replacement dial (service or original) that you could then have an independent watchmaker install. You could also check with some independent watchmakers, such as LAWW, Rolliworks, Ridleys, etc. to see if any of them may have parts like dials/hands in their stock for sale as part of a service.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:29 AM   #72
A_Milli
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Refinished dial, that's a shame..enjoy your watch
A_Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:37 AM   #73
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Just noticed that the clasp has a VC code dating the clasp at around 1978. I'm not saying the watch head is necessarily from then. It would be good see to the inside of the caseback, as suggested earlier.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 05:51 AM   #74
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

I tried like hell to get the case back open yesterday with a rubber ball and it wouldn't budge. That sucker is on there good!
Old 15 May 2021, 12:22 AM   #75
Newbietothegame
"TRF" Member

Looks cool
Newbietothegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:01 PM   #76
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Beautiful heirloom!!! If you intend to wear the watch, at a minimum get the movement serviced including new gaskets. I won't second guess your motives because I don't know you. You could always hold off on the dial and hand replacement until funds are available. In the defense of some of the members here.... MANY threads are started with someone finding a vintage watch in grandpa's sock drawer. They " have no intention" of selling, but are actually fishing for interest. Next thing you know they have a couple of hundred offers in their inbox. Not saying this was your intention, but it happens!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 11:43 PM   #77
HandsomeMike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Beautiful heirloom!!! If you intend to wear the watch, at a minimum get the movement serviced including new gaskets. I won't second guess your motives because I don't know you. You could always hold off on the dial and hand replacement until funds are available. In the defense of some of the members here.... MANY threads are started with someone finding a vintage watch in grandpa's sock drawer. They " have no intention" of selling, but are actually fishing for interest. Next thing you know they have a couple of hundred offers in their inbox. Not saying this was your intention, but it happens!!!
I'm sure that happens a lot! Still looking for a reasonably priced dial, but still enjoying wearing the watch! 99% of people who see it have no clue about the dial so I'm not too worried about holding off until an affordable (to me) dial surfaces. I plan to get it serviced at the same time I have a dial to knock out all the work at once.
Old 21 May 2021, 02:15 AM   #78
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If there is great sentimental value, then having it fully restored would be an option. It doesn’t have to be the Rolex Service Center.

If it was my family member’s heirloom being passed down to me (even with the challenge like refinished dial) and I was expecting to pass it down again some (or many) years hence, then I’d have it restored right.

Contact Phillip Ridley or Bob Ridley. A period correct authentic dial may be costly but $$$ don’t equal sentimental value to me.

It’s up to you.

I’d ignore the “challenged” keyboard warriors who are intent on spreading bile due to their own pitiful state of affairs. Welcome to TRF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Call these guys and get them to restore it. You’ll be glad you did and then you can pass it down in the family!
Old 21 May 2021, 04:48 AM   #79
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Beautiful gift and momento from a loving family member. Sure some things could be changed but this is how it was worn for years. Wear it with pride and I seriously doubt anyone will ever notice or say anything about the issues watch collectors here have mentioned. If you want to hunt for replacement parts and pay the price then go for it. Good Luck!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 01:01 AM   #80
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Slight contrarian here…l

What’s more important to you right now, restoring it to the way it should be, or wearing it now because you like it the way it is? As others have said, what do you want?

Obviously a WIS can tell from your photos that the dial isn’t original, and there are a lot of places online (including here) where you can do a side-by-side comparison with an authentic dial to see the differences. This may get me banned from this forum () but nothing bad jumped out at me when I saw your photo. The “patina,” repainted or original, on the dial matches the hands. I haven’t memorized what lines of text match which year, if the points of the crown are too big etc.

That is I enjoy watches but am not an expert (that’s why I never offer an opinion as to authenticity, good/bad redial, etc.…my opinions are whether I like a watch or not). I can’t tell just from looking at it, without a comparison. I do not have the level of expertise of others here. The experts here are truly amazing.

The photos here are much more magnified than when it’s on your wrist. A friend with an utterly amazing collection of vintage Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, and 2 Patek Nautilus watches (chronographs, even) showed me his collection the other night. In the box, they looked small. I assure you I couldn’t read what the dials said. I could just tell if the overall watch was crisp, patina matched, etc.

There is thread after thread on TRF about how “no one notices” their Rolex on their wrist. People pay good $$ for white gold and post here how they like their “stealth wealth” because people assume it’s SS.

I assure you, if you put that on your wrist as is, people will notice it’s not shiny and new, but that’s about it. No one will know it’s a 40 year old Submariner with a bad dial.

Now you know.

So, like others have asked, what to you want to do with this watch? Imagine you got a 1978 Corvette instead that’s been repainted, but has the original interior. What do you want to do, restore it to factory condition, restore it so it’s reliable enough to be a daily driver, or just do enough work so you can take it out on weekends for a couple of hours and have fun?

If you want to fix it up enough to actually wear it, but like the way it looks, there’s nothing wrong with that. Take it to a reputable watchmaker and get the movement serviced and case cleaned, and go for it! Once it’s on your wrist no one will notice the dial. That’s the way your stepfather wore it.

If what you now know about the dial compels you to have it restored, and in a way you are “resetting” the watch for yourself and future generations, go for it. You are bringing it back to life, and that would be a cool thing for you to do as well.

Whatever you choose, keep us in the loop!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 01:37 AM   #81
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
{condensed, sorry... }
Great post @Boopie! I agree with this. OP now has a lot of info and opinions. It's time to decide how you want to play this. Please let us know as I for one am interested to hear how you proceed
Old 20 June 2021, 01:17 PM   #82
jpark95
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Pre Comex Sub
Refinished Dial

I heard from my friend that until the 90s, a really nicely refinished dial was respected and actually increased the price of the watch.
I think people respect the original condition of watches more nowadays...
Still if you inherited, best to treasure it!
jpark95 is offline   Reply With Quote