The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2021, 11:47 PM   #1
sj24k
"TRF" Member

You bought it. You traded it.

So, I’m thinking of trading a reference I really love , but seldom wear. When I purchased it, I was doing the board room thing, the client dinner thing, lots of travel, and plenty of “dress up.” Today (and forever more) I’m done working (yay!) and doing the relaxing thing, the shorts and tees thing, the outdoorsy thing, and almost never wearing dressier watches.

I’m lucky to have a pretty varied collection with many options, but thinking this might be an opportunity to make a trade and steer the collection a little more towards the casual and “sporty.” Leaning towards a trade vs. just adding something new as I’m not really looking for more quantity at this point.

I’d rather not get into the specific references so as to avoid the price/value discussions. And I know everyone has strong opinions and emotions about their “loved ones.” So instead, tell me about a trade you made. Would be great if it was for a similar reason to the one stated above. But any swap and resulting feelings would be great.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:55 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Where to start ...

I buy to wear and own, but I totally gaffed on one purchase. I bought the watch on a Wednesday and by the Friday, I knew it wasn’t for me so I moved it on.

Prior to that I’ve never bought a watch and owned it less than a couple of years. Tastes change and I found it took me a while to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:00 AM   #3
TTbluesy
Banned

life is short, sell or trade the watches you don't like or wear and get what you want!

You don't need to poll the internet for this. They are pieces of mass produced overpriced metal, not kids you're leaving behind.

Simplifying life in retirement to one nice casual watch might be perfect.
TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:06 AM   #4
ks58
Banned

I think it’d be hard to trade something you love and have grown attached to.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:11 AM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Wish I had all the ones that I traded away, back!
Old 15 May 2021, 12:18 AM   #6
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Wish I had all the ones that I traded away, back!
Same here.

There have been a handful of watches I've bought, sold/traded, then bought back. It's been an expensive learning curve
Old 15 May 2021, 12:18 AM   #7
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

if it doesnt get much wrist time, and the value prop is not of importance to you, make the trade and go for what you would like to wear today.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:23 AM   #8
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I think your reason for selling it is a good one. If it no longer fits your lifestyle and you won't wear it given your "relaxation mode" dress, then move it on and get something else. Or use the cash to diversify your flip flop collection.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:29 AM   #9
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Sorry for the long winded response.......
My situation has similarities to your own. Up until I left the workforce in 2019, I interacted at the executive level of the company and I traveled globally a lot. I wore suits and chose watches I felt complimented my attire in that environment. When I visited one of our manufacturing plants, I usually wore a GMT or Sub.
I prefer professional series watches anyways. Now that the beach, outdoor dining and other outdoor activities are the order of the day, I've sold my dressier pieces and enjoy my Subs, Daytona and GMT.
I'm more comfortable with a small collection of pieces I routinely rotate and enjoy than a safe full of safe queens. The only exception to keeping something I don't routinely wear is something of sentimental value. FWIW, after I left the workforce, there were some pieces I never wore again. I no longer own those.
When I sold the pieces I was no longer wearing I felt a tinge of remorse but it quickly passed. I think the remorse crept in because looking at the piece for the last time kind of resurfaced some of the joyful feeling I experienced when I originally acquired them. Within days they were forgotten. I see pictures of those references on the forum and other social media and they don't stir up any remorse or regret for having moved them on. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:57 AM   #10
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
One of the best posts and replies I’ve read on this forum for quite a while just a genuine question with genuine answers nobody looking to brag about what they have, and congrats on the retirement may it be a long and healthy one, (the retirement is the part I’m jealous of!)
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:09 AM   #11
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Simple - get a submariner. Does everything, and if you have to attend a wedding or funeral, works with suit or tux (ask Janes Bond)

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:45 AM   #12
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Have traded off non-Rolex watches to get Rolex...best decision I ever made!
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:01 AM   #13
Bucky
"TRF" Member

If you don’t wear it then move it on. Am about to do the same thing with a Panerai 233. As much as I like the watch I very rarely wear it as find it a bit too dressy and fragile for my lifestyle. Prefer to get the money back and put towards another watch which will get more wrist time.
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 02:02 AM   #14
JParm

Watch: Yes!
As soon as I know it's not for me / don't wear it, it's gone.

There are too many fish in the sea!
Old 15 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #15
Goin2drt
Banned

I have traded in several but would rather not say what for what as to not turn this into a value/speculation thread.

Do what you think is best.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 04:21 AM   #16
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Can't really relate to you since your post is very vague but I have no sentimental attachments to watches since they are just things. I trade/ buy what I want and that's that really. If I don't wear it then it's useless.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 05:23 AM   #17
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Congrats on retiring, a subject I think of frequently. Great question and I would say your life has changed and thus you are moving to more sporty and chilled lifestyle but that doesn't mean it has be SS. White gold or platinum can give you that look without just jumping to SS. I have changed my collection due to change in my attitude towards my collection. I love most Rolex watches and they brought me great pleasure to own but change happens over time. I have sold several recently to move in a different direction.

Trade what you no longer wear or feel the need to own and get something that works for you and your new lifestyle. Post any trades you make.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 06:34 AM   #18
Walster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Simple - get a submariner. Does everything, and if you have to attend a wedding or funeral, works with suit or tux (ask Janes Bond)

Agree with this.
Walster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 09:39 PM   #19
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
Same here.

There have been a handful of watches I've bought, sold/traded, then bought back. It's been an expensive learning curve
Definitely.
Old 15 May 2021, 10:02 PM   #20
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I swapped an Omega 300M for a Speedmaster FOiS about 18mo ago. Unfortunately, I never wear the Speedmaster. I love the history, but I only like the watch. And like Wally Schirra's Sigma-7, it's about to be launched. . .

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:17 PM   #21
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
No regerts!

Traded up, to my WG Daytona couldn't be happier!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:20 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I retired in 2013, just a few months shy of my 50th birthday and have been hanging out ever since. The wearing of my collection is reflective of my more home bound ways and I find I spend a lot of time wearing Omega, Seiko, Breitling and Doxa. I still have a nice Rolex collection but do not wear them as much. I will buy/sell/trade a watch in a skinny minute but it has more to do with how I feel about the watch, not so much wrist time. Once a watch is out in my head it is out of the collection. If you are not clear on moving a watch then don't. If you are clear then find what you want and sell what you have and get what you want. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:39 PM   #23
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
You bought it. You traded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTbluesy View Post
life is short, sell or trade the watches you don't like or wear and get what you want!

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 10:58 PM   #24
schoutedeni
"TRF" Member

Bought a Speedy Reduced. Immediately regretted it and sold and traded up to a full size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
schoutedeni is offline   Reply With Quote