The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 March 2021, 12:10 PM   #1
Fred48
Banned

Faux Patina

Hi, I've got a new Aviator 8 automatic.

What do you folks think of the faux patina Breitling is now using on their dials? I'm not a big fan, think it has too much brown; looks best against a black dial.
Wish they had stayed with the white

How about you?
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan of fauxtina.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 01:18 PM   #3
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Coloured lume doesn’t bother me. Used to be white and mint green, and now often ecru. No doubt, one day it will be something else.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 09:19 PM   #4
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I'm a huge Breitling fan, faux patina- not so much. They have a couple of chronographs I am really interested in, faux patina killed it for me. I will they would also offer same models with white or green. Just doesn't look right to me. Everything else is perfect and then they do the faux - kills it.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 02:49 AM   #5
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

just to add a bit of historical perspective - Breitling NEVER used white lume until the 1990s ... so for some of the watches that are based on historical designs, stark white lume just wouldn't be right?

we went through all (hand-colored, originally) catalogs from the 1940s onwards, the earliest color catalogs in the archives and museum, spoke to witnesses that knew the watches when they were launched.

Radium lume never was white, just as the Tritium used from ca. 1963 to the 1990s, we always had shades of yellow and some green.

WatchFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 03:51 AM   #6
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchFred View Post
just to add a bit of historical perspective - Breitling NEVER used white lume until the 1990s ... so for some of the watches that are based on historical designs, stark white lume just wouldn't be right?

we went through all (hand-colored, originally) catalogs from the 1940s onwards, the earliest color catalogs in the archives and museum, spoke to witnesses that knew the watches when they were launched.

Radium lume never was white, just as the Tritium used from ca. 1963 to the 1990s, we always had shades of yellow and some green.

Well that explains why they choose that color. Don't get me wrong, Love some of these re editions.... A lot. But I would like it better if it offered in white as a non- replica option. A modern version if you will. One would be at my house tonight! But I will say, even though I was turned off by the color.... It's growing on me, So maybe?
Old 20 March 2021, 06:05 AM   #7
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

not discussing that at all - I do understand and respect your preference for white lume - and we have actually used white lume on the blue dial 806 Edition in platinum and there may well be other models in the future.

just wanted to explain the color is used based on historical design codes of the brand - and isn‘t „fauxtina“.
Old 20 March 2021, 06:08 AM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
not discussing that at all - I do understand and respect your preference for white lume - and we have actually used white lume on the blue dial 806 Edition in platinum and there may well be other models in the future.

just wanted to explain the color is used based on historical design codes of the brand - and isn‘t „fauxtina“.
I’m guessing you work for Breitling.
Old 20 March 2021, 06:23 AM   #9
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Thank you for the explanation Breitling...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 06:07 AM   #10
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

I work as a consultant to the Breitling CEO, yes.
Old 21 March 2021, 07:32 AM   #11
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Lol, awesome!
Old 21 March 2021, 11:30 PM   #12
56scooter
"TRF" Member

For all of those who may be new to the Breitling experience "WatchFred" is vintage Breitling. His knowledge of Breitling history and their vintage pieces is second to none, and that would explain why Georges Kern brought him on board!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 06:42 AM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fantastic. What an incredible job.
Old 22 March 2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred48 View Post
Hi, I've got a new Aviator 8 automatic.

What do you folks think of the faux patina Breitling is now using on their dials? I'm not a big fan, think it has too much brown; looks best against a black dial.
Wish they had stayed with the white

How about you?

I am a fan. Look, where is it written that the lume has to be stark white? The dial can be any color, the bracelet or strap any color and people freak out about the lume being almond, off white, or what ever. It’s really rather amusing because very few of us actually need and use their watches and the mechanics while impressive are not not needed and the majority of people wear Apple watches anyway. Wrist watches are important because of their connection to the past, and the idea that lume can only be stark white is laughable.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 12:15 AM   #15
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I am a fan. Look, where is it written that the lume has to be stark white? The dial can be any color, the bracelet or strap any color and people freak out about the lume being almond, off white, or what ever. It’s really rather amusing because very few of us actually need and use their watches and the mechanics while impressive are not not needed and the majority of people wear Apple watches anyway. Wrist watches are important because of their connection to the past, and the idea that lume can only be stark white is laughable.
Well actually White hand with black dial offers the most contrast. That's what I like to see. I could care less what color lume glows. It's being able to read fine details on the index. There IS a reason people like the white hands. Same a Black hands against a white dial. It was a railroad standard back in the day for the same reason.
Old 23 March 2021, 10:18 AM   #16
Fred48
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
To clarify my original post, I was referring to the paint color of the hands and numerals, not the color of the lume in the dark. I don't mind an off white, or a pale yellow or green, but I think the Breitling "brown" is a bit too much, especially in sunlight. I wish it could be changed, but I doubt it.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 10:44 AM   #17
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred48 View Post
To clarify my original post, I was referring to the paint color of the hands and numerals, not the color of the lume in the dark. I don't mind an off white, or a pale yellow or green, but I think the Breitling "brown" is a bit too much, especially in sunlight. I wish it could be changed, but I doubt it.

That still does not bother me. I mean the watch is partly about style and we care about dial color, case shape, where is it written the paint color can only be one way. I mean to each his own, but I think many look at this as being faux patina but wrist watches are a bit of an anachronism anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2021, 10:50 AM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Well actually White hand with black dial offers the most contrast. That's what I like to see. I could care less what color lume glows. It's being able to read fine details on the index. There IS a reason people like the white hands. Same a Black hands against a white dial. It was a railroad standard back in the day for the same reason.

Nothing wrong with white hands, all mine have it. But for example the 806 navi reissue, just looks better and plays off the gold tone of the wings. It’s very integrated and looks like it belongs. Same is the case for many other watches. I just think people get too dismissive when a watch company tries to make the watch look vintage. All watches are vintage to some degree, we don’t need them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2021, 11:03 AM   #19
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I really appreciate you giving us a historic perspective. I believe that I have also fallen in to the trap of thinking the cream and almond colors were all trying to imitate the aging process on modern pieces based on historic designs (emphasis on All watch brands)

Edit: one of the things that drew me to the superocean 42 was the green tint.

Last edited by JBoone; 23 March 2021 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Spelling
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 09:21 PM   #20
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Too each there own, I certainly understand the faux patina and the reason behind the design. I think the watch is outstanding. The choice of faux patina is just not for me. I prefer white against a black dial. That's just me. It's just a issue of personal taste. I'm curious as the what the color was when it "originally " produced back in the day.
Old 23 March 2021, 09:37 PM   #21
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoone View Post
Edit: one of the things that drew me to the superocean 42 was the green tint.
very, very deep roots for "green tint" too, here a page from the 1946 catalog ;)

Old 23 March 2021, 09:40 PM   #22
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm curious as the what the color was when it "originally " produced back in the day.
as far as we could match it according to all documentation & actual witnesses who saw the watches in 1953: just like it is on re Re-Edition ;)
Old 23 March 2021, 10:53 PM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
as far as we could match it according to all documentation & actual witnesses who saw the watches in 1953: just like it is on re Re-Edition ;)
Thanks, Solved my curiosity. You are a wealth of information! I have owned some Breitling dive watches back in the 1980's, As best as I can remember they were a whitish/ green. I know in the murky river water while diving they were defiantly a glowing green. They were a awesome watch to have. I had what I called a 300T because that's what was on the dial. No idea of a reference number and one called a compressor? I'm getting old I guess. I just knew it was a great watch to use for scuba diving which I did a lot back in the day.
Old 23 March 2021, 11:21 PM   #24
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, Solved my curiosity. You are a wealth of information! I have owned some Breitling dive watches back in the 1980's, As best as I can remember they were a whitish/ green. I know in the murky river water while diving they were defiantly a glowing green. They were a awesome watch to have. I had what I called a 300T because that's what was on the dial. No idea of a reference number and one called a compressor? I'm getting old I guess. I just knew it was a great watch to use for scuba diving which I did a lot back in the day.
assume it was a ref. 83110, the production models had dials marked "300T" (although the catalog didn't show that)

Old 24 March 2021, 12:49 AM   #25
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
assume it was a ref. 83110, the production models had dials marked "300T" (although the catalog didn't show that)

Wow!, You are correct! the one on the left. The crown was at 4:00. Block of steel looking. Man your awesome! If I remember, I purchased it because it was water resistant to something crazy like 1000 ft. I may be wrong but I do remember it was substantial for a kid just out of high school. And it was a quartz. The newer super ocean I got after that was smaller 39-40 mm and it was quartz also. I remember the batteries didn't last long. Maybe a year and a half. So was constantly having them serviced. Once a year to check gaskets and I just had them put a battery in it while they had it.
Old 24 March 2021, 08:26 PM   #26
WatchFred
"TRF" Member

I won't mention the fact that these had "Faux Patina" too - a warm "sunny" yellow
Old 24 March 2021, 08:32 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Nice to have you here
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2021, 10:06 PM   #28
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I won't mention the fact that these had "Faux Patina" too - a warm "sunny" yellow

Yes they did, but not the tan color. Yellow, green and white all looks good to me against a black dial. I just don't like the tan. I really like the the aviator 8 chronograph day/date 43 with a black dial. The ONLY reason I don't have one right now is the Tan numbering. It's just not for me.
Old 25 March 2021, 12:33 AM   #29
JBoone
"TRF" Member

My 50 year old eyes need contrast as well. More of a consideration for me now then it used to be. My silver dialed tag with silver hands is starring to give me a hard time without reading glasses on.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 02:58 AM   #30
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoone View Post
My 50 year old eyes need contrast as well. More of a consideration for me now then it used to be. My silver dialed tag with silver hands is starring to give me a hard time without reading glasses on.
Thank goodness for these. My eyes have never been so happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210127_200636.jpg (134.8 KB, 119 views)