The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2021, 06:56 AM   #1
bob sims
Banned

Profits of a flipper

Seeing the ever increasing prices on the colored OP 41's , particularly the red, yellow and pink bubblegum someone brought up to me the other day how much did the original buyer profit on my watch-which cost $14,375.
I said my guess would be the scalper made around $2000 and paid around $12,375 but that is just an intuitive answer.
I am sure many of you have much more experience dealing with these grey's than me so if someone has a brother in law who has a brother in law who has a brother in law who has an AD business and just picked up one of these 3 desired colors For the $5900 MSRP, how much can he get by immediately flipping this to a scalper, keeping in mind they are going for (not just asking) upwards of $14-$14.5 as unworn?
Old 9 May 2021, 07:02 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Scalper — like Mike Damone in Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

The reputable secondary resellers aim for 10-20% gross margin — depending on the model.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:03 AM   #3
drrd
"TRF" Member

Wrong forum.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:05 AM   #4
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
Your question is not formulated very clearly
Old 9 May 2021, 07:07 AM   #5
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
I don't know how much a scalper makes on average but I strongly suspect that the greedy AD pockets quite substantially above MSRP.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:17 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

so.......... when is TRF getting a 'vale and flippers' sub-board?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 9 May 2021, 07:24 AM   #7
zengineer
"TRF" Member

The AD paid Rolex about 1/4 what you paid. You need to let this go and enjoy the watch. Why do you insist on putting yourself through all this self inflicted pain?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2021, 07:32 AM   #8
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Pink doesn’t come in 41mm.

I’m on the list for a pink 36mm from my AD for my wife. Couldn’t care less what they sell for on secondary.
Old 9 May 2021, 08:04 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I have no idea what the exact question is. But I’d suggest buying a calculator if basic math is difficult for you.
Old 9 May 2021, 08:58 AM   #10
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
For the $5900 MSRP, how much can he get by immediately flipping this to a scalper, keeping in mind they are going for (not just asking) upwards of $14-$14.5 as unworn?
FWIW, I thought your question was clear, as quoted above...

I know of several established grays that typically aim for 20-33% margin on sales (by established I mean real companies with facilities, not individuals with side-hustles). They often low-ball on the offer side, some notoriously so. Also, the new colorful OPs have seen a steady market value increase. So the original buyer at AD (who paid $5900) may not have realized the gray's $14k selling price minus 20-33% margin (e.g. ~$9.5k-11k) if he sold to the gray several weeks ago.

Either way, the buyer at AD probably did quite well by flipping. Turning $5.9k into anything in the neighborhood of $10k is a good gig (if you're a flipper).

Now whether flipping is OK or not, in the broader sense, is open to debate. Some will say it's bad and needs to stop. Some will say let the market rule. Some will say don't hate the player, hate the game.

All I can say is that I know exactly what I'm willing to pay for each watch I buy. And that's exactly what I pay. Not a dime more – and sometimes even less. If they aren't being offered at that price, I don't buy.

BTW, enjoy your cool new Red OP. Your opinion on your purchase is the only one that matters, wear your Red OP with the attitude it deserves.
Old 9 May 2021, 08:59 AM   #11
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Old 9 May 2021, 09:07 AM   #12
Brew
"TRF" Member

I'd guess 3 or 4 herring per show.
Closed Thread