The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2021, 11:51 AM   #1
safeahnys73
"TRF" Member

First time Rolex purchase

Hello All,

My wife just got me a 36mm DJ blue dial, stick index, dome bezel, jubilee bracelet. Before this, I wasn't too interested in luxury watches, but now I seemed to be hooked! I'm interested in a SS Sport watch.

Anyways, I am writing to get your opinion on my current watch's buying experience and how it bodes for the chances of getting a sports watch in the near future at this AD.

Before purchasing, my wife said she put her name on a waiting list at a local AD for a watch with a blue dial. She got the call within 3 weeks of doing so.
We had no previous Rolex nor any watch nor jewelry purchases at this AD.

From my reading here, it seems that people are waiting for months for such a watch (granted it is a DJ and they seem readily available esp in black, gray, or white).

My questions are 1) why would he call us, when it seems there would be other more deserving people on the list for DJ in blue?
2) maybe DJ in general are not that popular nor hard to get?
3) if hard to get, he called us and does that mean he likes us and may call when a SS sport watch like a GMT or Sub becomes available or do think he just called because we were the only ones interested after calling up his list?

Your perspectives would be interesting.

Thanks!
safeahnys73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:47 PM   #2
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Congrats on the watch. You kind of answered your own question. They get more of these in and they can also be ordered, so it's not impossibly hard to get DJ and Oyster Perpetual models. You just have to wait a bit if the one you wanted isn't there in stock.

Anything sports and professional is a completely different story. Wait lists, super high demand and it's just nuts.

You've now made a connection with this AD. You aren't just a lookie Lou. You've actually bought a new Rolex from them. State what you would like next and just keep in touch. You are a full blown customer now. You are "in."

That's exactly what I'm doing with my AD and it's totally paying off. I expressed interest in a sub last fall. We kept in touch, then two weeks ago he got me an EZLINK for my OP. While we were there my wife found the new blue dial OP34 and loved it. I bought it for her for Mother's Day and when we were picking it up he was dead serious and said he'll work on getting me my sub and will call me when he gets one in.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck with the journey!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:33 PM   #3
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
It’s hard to get ultra hype models in big cities where they’re mostly flipped. You can get most models if you’re willing to wait a bit.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:48 PM   #4
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Welcome to the forum. Quick summary of the situation right now......DJ36 is not hard to get. I got the blue dial at an AD where it was sitting in the case. Another AD called me a week later and said he had one too. As for SS models I think you’ll be waiting a while from an AD unless you get really lucky. Alternative is bite the bullet pay a slight premium and get one from a grey dealer. The days of sports models waiting in cases ended around 2015/2016 I’d say......that’s the last time I saw one sitting in a case anyway. Good luck with your search!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 03:32 PM   #5
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Welcome! Which particular sports model do you want? They are all hard to get, but certain stainless models, like the BLRO, are even harder (which is a model you can find selling for as much as three times its MSRP on the secondary market.)

With the DJ you got, it is an easier model to get, as noted by yourself and others. If you look at secondary prices, you'll notice they are not crazy like the stainless Sub or GMT or Daytona.

However, Sub and GMT prices are crazy. This is because of the limited supply/major demand and because of the way that ADs commonly sell the limited number that they are allocated. As these are watches that sell for two or even three times MSRP on the open market, ADs sell them in a fashion to net more than what they would get on a standalone watch sale made to just anyone. This is a very strong incentive to favor customers spending more money and/or customers with longstanding relations, which many ADs (understandably) do. So getting certain stainless professional models at this moment can be a challenge!
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 04:27 PM   #6
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
A friend of mine, a sales manager at Rolex, in NYC. Told me, white dial DateJust, are difficult to find.

SS sport models, good luck.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:47 PM   #7
safeahnys73
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I would love to get a SS GMT or Sub w/ date in any version from a AD.

Went in yesterday told my AD that I wanted a SS sports watch.

Saw a few DJs including a blue dial with fluted bezel in the display case.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:04 PM   #8
dannymiller
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Tudor
You are a serious customer now with your AD man. Just let them know what you want next and I bet you will be on their top five list (if it isn't a major city) once they have one available.
dannymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:11 PM   #9
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Despite all the hoopla about ADs being evil you may see on here, I'd venture to say there is an equal if not greater amount of good ADs that will help you if you are genuine.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:19 PM   #10
Merlin69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Welcome and congrats on your watch. Unfortunately, SS sport models are not easy to get nowadays but I am sure you can discuss this topic with your AD, since now you are a customer.
Old 14 May 2021, 11:22 PM   #11
safeahnys73
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the encouragement!

Definitely not a major city, but we have 2 ADs (formerly 3) and place I bought from is an RSC (what i was told).

What time frame do you think is reasonable for getting a SS sports watch?
Old 14 May 2021, 11:33 PM   #12
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaydans View Post
Alternative is bite the bullet pay a slight premium and get one from a grey dealer.
Slight=3X retail
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #13
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats on your first rolex.

Not to be direct but:

1) he called you because dj36 is generally not hard to get. You can often find them on display
2) dj36 is generally not hard to get
3) he called you bc he had the piece available and wanted to make a sale.

But good news is that now that you have this dj36 (which looks better on your purchase history bc it is not that popular vs let’s say a dj41), You should* be able to get a professional piece next like a sub, ex1, ex2, tt chnr, op41 (maybe), blnr (maybe), non blue skyD (maybe), daytona on OF (maybe).
As for lv, blro, ss daytona, & blue skyD, most likely not at this time. (You would likely need more purchase history)

Good luck!
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:50 AM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

First time Rolex purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeahnys73 View Post

My questions are 1) why would he call us, when it seems there would be other more deserving people on the list for DJ in blue?

3) if hard to get, he called us and does that mean he likes us and may call when a SS sport watch like a GMT or Sub becomes available or do think he just called because we were the only ones interested after calling up his list?

Thanks!

First off, welcome to the forum and the Rolex “addiction”

1) IMHO, there are no other customers more deserving than you and your wife.
We have sunk to a low ebb in how ADs rate prospective buyers via their metrics. Glad she accomplished her goal.

2) The SA likely took the initiative because your wife was sincere and had a goal that resonated with him. Or - if it was one shop in a large chain - he was motivated to call around. Many SA’s can become jaded from fielding dozens of calls from flippers for hard to get models. This erodes their resolve to treat customers well.

3) He likes your wife - keep an eye on him… No, seriously, I think you may have a good SA there. It may have been easier than a blue-dialed Sub, but we’ll never know. This is how buying should be - the SA does some searching and fulfills legitimate goals of a new customer.

Congrats and where’s the wristshot?

Quote:
Definitely not a major city, but we have 2 ADs (formerly 3) and place I bought from is an RSC (what i was told).
Cleveland doesn’t have an RSC, but your AD may have achieved Rolex Certified Repair status that allows them to do warranty work and overhauls that come with a worldwide Rolex 2-yr warranty. All ADs can do simple repairs if they employ a Rolex trained watchmaker - but some have gone for the higher level of certification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:14 AM   #15
A_Milli
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Congratulations on your first rolex
A_Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:23 AM   #16
Marshalmatters
Banned

Watch: Rolex
congrats, welcome to the club
Marshalmatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:47 AM   #17
safeahnys73
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
First off, welcome to the forum and the Rolex “addiction”

1) IMHO, there are no other customers more deserving than you and your wife.
We have sunk to a low ebb in how ADs rate prospective buyers via their metrics. Glad she accomplished her goal.

2) The SA likely took the initiative because your wife was sincere and had a goal that resonated with him. Or - if it was one shop in a large chain - he was motivated to call around. Many SA’s can become jaded from fielding dozens of calls from flippers for hard to get models. This erodes their resolve to treat customers well.

3) He likes your wife - keep an eye on him… No, seriously, I think you may have a good SA there. It may have been easier than a blue-dialed Sub, but we’ll never know. This is how buying should be - the SA does some searching and fulfills legitimate goals of a new customer.

Congrats and where’s the wristshot?

Cleveland doesn’t have an RSC, but your AD may have achieved Rolex Certified Repair status that allows them to do warranty work and overhauls that come with a worldwide Rolex 2-yr warranty. All ADs can do simple repairs if they employ a Rolex trained watchmaker - but some have gone for the higher level of certification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Again thx for the welcome!

In 18 years of marriage, I can tell you my wife can be very persuasive

She might have mentioned to him that it was for our anniversary present.

SA seems like a nice guy and we live in the same small suburb as the AD location so I plan to drop in regularly and do some gentle nudging.

We are not jewelry people, but I can see myself purchasing other brands after I get a SS Rolex (maybe the least expensive automatic VC Overseas or AP RO). AD not dealer for either, but they do have IWC.

Wristwatch shot? Tried but file too big. I'll read the sticky and get it up sometime soon.

As for Certified Repair Center vs RSC, does it matter (ie technician quality and qualifications, service hx for future sale to private party or dealer) where it has been serviced?

I plan on passing on to my son, but one never knows.

Thx again!
Old 15 May 2021, 01:59 AM   #18
safeahnys73
"TRF" Member

yea,
over 18 years of marriage, i know my wife can be very persuasive!

SA seems like a good guy, hopefully he can come through.
we live in the same suburb as AD, so I plan on dropping by and do some nudging.

for service is there any significant pros/cons in sending my watch to certified center vs rsc?

i tried uploading pic, but had difficulty. i'll read the sticky and post soon.

thx again!
Old 15 May 2021, 06:37 AM   #19
Cowley
Banned

You have a lovely wife congratulations on your first Rolex.
Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 09:20 AM   #20
Slaybo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Congrats on your first rolex.

Not to be direct but:

1) he called you because dj36 is generally not hard to get. You can often find them on display
2) dj36 is generally not hard to get
3) he called you bc he had the piece available and wanted to make a sale.

But good news is that now that you have this dj36 (which looks better on your purchase history bc it is not that popular vs let’s say a dj41), You should* be able to get a professional piece next like a sub, ex1, ex2, tt chnr, op41 (maybe), blnr (maybe), non blue skyD (maybe), daytona on OF (maybe).
As for lv, blro, ss daytona, & blue skyD, most likely not at this time. (You would likely need more purchase history)

Good luck!
“Often” on display might be a stretch. I’ve been to half a dozen ADs in the DC Metro area in the past 9 months multiple times over and have seen a DJ in a case exactly once.

It happens, but I still think this guy got a little bit lucky.
Slaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 09:48 AM   #21
safeahnys73
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaybo View Post
“Often” on display might be a stretch. I’ve been to half a dozen ADs in the DC Metro area in the past 9 months multiple times over and have seen a DJ in a case exactly once.

It happens, but I still think this guy got a little bit lucky.
When I went back a couple of days ago, they had about 7 Mens DJ including a blue dial fluted bezel.
Old 15 May 2021, 02:33 PM   #22
A_Milli
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Welcome and congrats
A_Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 03:09 PM   #23
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Hello All,

My wife just got me a 36mm DJ blue dial, stick index, dome bezel, jubilee bracelet. Before this, I wasn't too interested in luxury watches, but now I seemed to be hooked! I'm interested in a SS Sport watch.

Anyways, I am writing to get your opinion on my current watch's buying experience and how it bodes for the chances of getting a sports watch in the near future at this AD.

Before purchasing, my wife said she put her name on a waiting list at a local AD for a watch with a blue dial. She got the call within 3 weeks of doing so.
We had no previous Rolex nor any watch nor jewelry purchases at this AD.

From my reading here, it seems that people are waiting for months for such a watch (granted it is a DJ and they seem readily available esp in black, gray, or white).

Thanks!

#3 and #4.
AD do like to have first time costumers, this is how they grow their business and your wife was the perfect “non flipper” new costumer to take care of.
I’m sure your chances of getting an SS model are easier now that he got your wife the DJ.
My local Rolex boutique owner told me that the DJ are the next hard model to get, so enjoy your beauty and don’t, by any means, think the DJ is less Rolex than any other SS reference, the DJ is Rolex’s most iconic reference and one of the most beautiful watches ever designed.
PS: let your wife be in charge of doing the Rolex deals for you:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk