The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2020, 01:08 AM   #1
BMess
"TRF" Member

RSC Long Island City Warranty Service

My three year old DJ41 is running so slowly that it's basically not running at all. My AD's Rolex certified watch maker put it on his machines and came back to me and said "Yea. This has to go to RSC for a full warranty service. I don't know why it's running so badly but I've never seen a Rolex this new run this poorly." When I asked how many seconds per day slowly its running he wouldn't tell me. He also indicated that the aptitude/altitude (I can't remember what it was called) was off the charts bad.

This is my first experience with a warranty service (none of my three other watches ever needed servicing). The AD indicated that the watch is being sent to the Long Island City RSC for the service. He stated that he expects to have the watch back in 2-3 weeks. His watch maker, however, said 6-8 weeks. Do any of you know how long I should expect to be without the watch?

Additionally, can anyone shed some light on what RSC does during a warranty service? Is it just a service of the movement or do they do any cleaning, polishing, replacing parts, etc?
BMess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 01:13 AM   #2
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
There is no RSC on Long Island. It is in Manhattan and if still possible I suggest calling them and dealing directly with them. They will evaluate your watch and promptly tell you what is needed, any cost involved and time for repair - requesting your approval.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 01:19 AM   #3
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I’m pretty sure there IS an RSC in LIC. My friend works there. ;)
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 02:01 AM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
When I asked how many seconds per day slowly its running he wouldn't tell me. He also indicated that the aptitude/altitude (I can't remember what it was called) was off the charts bad.

The term is amplitude. That plus the movement timing (seconds per day) and the beat error are parameters that are tipically captured on a timegrapher and provide key movement performance data without opening it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 02:28 AM   #5
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Sorry I didn’t know that.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 05:09 AM   #6
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh really? RSC In LONG ISLAND CITY???? Would you be interested in purchasing the Brooklyn bridge? LOL
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 05:27 AM   #7
BMess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
Oh really? RSC In LONG ISLAND CITY???? Would you be interested in purchasing the Brooklyn bridge? LOL
Please keep in mind this threat asks about the processes of a warranty service. This thread is not about the existence of a RSC in LIC.
Old 11 December 2020, 05:31 AM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

They'll take a look at it and do whatever they think it needs to get back to running properly. It might be a slight adjustment, it might be a full service. There's no way to know until they have it in hand.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2020, 05:50 AM   #9
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
RolexUSA’s warehouse and distribution center is in LIC, but pretty sure all the RSC operation is still on 5th Avenue in Manhattan.
They had started construction on the Rolex Building, not impossible that they’ve temporarily moved repairs to the distribution center.
OP, if your watch is under warranty I wouldn’t expect and charges. Hopefully they will return your watch looking like new and running like a champ.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 12:57 AM   #10
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

I was curious about what Rolex does in Manhattan vs. Long Island City (LIC), so I asked about that today. For those who are unfamiliar with the area, their LIC facility is less than 1.5 miles (straight line distance) from their Manhattan office, so both facilities are very near each other. "Long Island City" has a misleading name and is actually part of Queens/NYC. LIC is not actually on Long Island (which is farther away). The name "LIC" is confusing/misleading until you know that.

I was told that Rolex has administrative offices as well as watchmakers/technicians in both LIC and Manhattan. The person I spoke with (whom I know) is in LIC but uses the Fifth Avenue address for all correspondence. So I mail my watches for repair to Fifth Avenue and apparently they end up in LIC at least sometimes (if not all the time?).
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 03:00 AM   #11
BMess
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have any idea how long I should expect for a warranty service to take?
Old 16 December 2020, 03:30 AM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I was curious about what Rolex does in Manhattan vs. Long Island City (LIC), so I asked about that today. For those who are unfamiliar with the area, their LIC facility is less than 1.5 miles (straight line distance) from their Manhattan office, so both facilities are very near each other. "Long Island City" has a misleading name and is actually part of Queens/NYC. LIC is not actually on Long Island (which is farther away). The name "LIC" is confusing/misleading until you know that.

I was told that Rolex has administrative offices as well as watchmakers/technicians in both LIC and Manhattan. The person I spoke with (whom I know) is in LIC but uses the Fifth Avenue address for all correspondence. So I mail my watches for repair to Fifth Avenue and apparently they end up in LIC at least sometimes (if not all the time?).
For the record Queens and Brooklyn, both boroughs of New York City, ARE physically on Long Island. But generally when people mention Long Island they are referring to the suburban towns/areas further out on the island past the city limits.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 03:45 AM   #13
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What do we have here NYC Boroughs 101?? lOOl jkjk

Did they start construction on there new "work of art" in the city yet?
Old 16 December 2020, 11:49 AM   #14
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
For the record Queens and Brooklyn, both boroughs of New York City, ARE physically on Long Island. But generally when people mention Long Island they are referring to the suburban towns/areas further out on the island past the city limits.
Yes, I should not have said that LIC isn't actually on LI. Thanks for correcting that misinformation.
Old 16 December 2020, 12:25 PM   #15
TriaXenginE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Only Rolex listed in LIC is Rolex Lic Realty LLC. Just hope you don’t send your watch there.
TriaXenginE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 12:29 PM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Tourneau has a service center in LIC.
They work on Rolex but they are not an RSC.

outside of Manhattan the next closest RSC is in texas.
Old 16 December 2020, 02:08 PM   #17
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
NYCRSC no longer services watches in the building and send it to their service facility that I believe is unlisted on Long Island or Long Island City (which is Queens). I can't remember what they said exactly the last time I was there before Covid. The turn around time used to be 5 weeks (they usually came back sooner) with Covid, everything has been pushed back a couple of weeks. Expect to wait 6-8 weeks.
Old 16 December 2020, 02:18 PM   #18
farreljs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
There is an RSC (as well as a watchmaker school sponsored by Rolex) in Lititz, PA. Just outside of Lancaster. I recently purchased a Rolex that had a freely moving (with gravity) second hand. I sent it to the AD and they sent it to Lititz.

It was back in my hands in about 2 weeks.

However, take detailed photos of the watch before you ship it. Mine came back all scratched. I hadn’t worn the watch prior to noticing the defect, so it was damaged either by the AD or RSC. Neither the AD or Rolex is taking responsibility unfortunately.

https://lititzwatchtechnicum.org/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
farreljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 02:23 PM   #19
77T

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea how long I should expect for a warranty service to take?

I know you didn’t sign up for all the geography lessons some have foisted upon you. But I believe you’ll have a longer wait than usual at the NY-based RSC due to the impact Covid-19 restrictions have had on operations there.

You might call Dallas RSC where Texas hasn’t locked them down. You may have a shorter wait. Shipping during the holidays is going to impact intervals for both RSC’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 09:42 AM   #20
BMess
"TRF" Member

UPDATE: Rolex is telling me 11 weeks. I requested they send the watch back to me. I am not waiting 11 weeks.

Is there a way to expedite the process? Should I send back in March? Should I send to RSC directly and bypass my AD?
Old 19 December 2020, 09:50 AM   #21
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
UPDATE: Rolex is telling me 11 weeks. I requested they send the watch back to me. I am not waiting 11 weeks.

Is there a way to expedite the process? Should I send back in March? Should I send to RSC directly and bypass my AD?
Why not wait 11 weeks, you have no other option, it isn't working. Are you going to wear a non-functional watch around?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:06 AM   #22
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Send it to Dallas RSC. If you call them they will send you a proper shipping box with their label NOT identifying the box as going to "Rolex."
214-871-0500
You have to get it fixed somewhere under warranty. I would not use NYC (from posts seen here over time.) I have used Dallas.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:10 AM   #23
BMess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
Why not wait 11 weeks, you have no other option, it isn't working. Are you going to wear a non-functional watch around?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thinking I might flip it and buy a new DJ41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Send it to Dallas RSC. If you call them they will send you a proper shipping box with their label NOT identifying the box as going to "Rolex."
214-871-0500
You have to get it fixed somewhere under warranty. I would not use NYC (from posts seen here over time.) I have used Dallas.
I will try Dallas! Thank you!
Old 19 December 2020, 10:20 AM   #24
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thinking I might flip it and buy a new DJ41.

I will try Dallas! Thank you!

There is an RSC in Lititz, PA that you should be able to hand drop off and pick up.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 10:24 AM   #25
BMess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
There is an RSC in Lititz, PA that you should be able to hand drop off and pick up.
Love Lititz. I will try them.
Old 19 December 2020, 01:59 PM   #26
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Love Lititz. I will try them.
If you call the phone number for any particular RSC (Lititz, Dallas, NYC, etc.), you may want to ask the person who answers the phone if they're actually in the RSC that you think you're calling. Earlier during COVID, Rolex was doing some centralized call handling. I found this out the awkward way: I called two different RSCs to ask the same question to both, and the same person answered the phone each time (and confirmed they were answering calls for several RSC locations). Good luck!
Old 9 January 2021, 07:07 PM   #27
walds11
"TRF" Member

Any updates OP? Did you send it back to another RSC? I highly recommend the Dallas RSC. I sent my Sub Date 116610 to them this past June for routine service. It was about 9 weeks door to door. Not too bad all things considered.
Old 9 January 2021, 10:50 PM   #28
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

Is your AD Tourneau? Their headquarters at in Long Island. Could of been sent there.
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:28 PM   #29
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
214-871-0500
This
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:50 PM   #30
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would send it to Dallas. I have sent them five watches over the years and no issues at all.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote