The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 April 2019, 02:29 AM   #1
capt_and
"TRF" Member

Introduction

I've been reading on this forum for quite some time so I thought that I would make an introduction. Every since I was a kid, I was always fascinated with watches. The Speedmaster was my grail watch based on its history. The first expensive (at the time) watch I purchased was a Tag Heuer F1 alarm. When I was finally in a position to purchase a nicer watch, I went to try on the Speedy and found it to fit terribly.

Also, at this time, my interests changed from fascination space travel to racing. And, you guessed it, I wanted a SS Daytona. Not knowing anything about their desirability, I visited a few ADs and was laughed at. Finally, I went to a larger AD and asked them what I needed to do to establish a relationship. Long story short, I walked out out a WG Daytona 116519 with the leather band and white racing dial along with a rose gold DJ for my wife. The SA indicated that he would put me on the top of the list.

After about a year with the WG Daytona, I was a little concerned about how much I was banging it up. I wore it every day doing just about everything including taking it to the race track, working on the car, yard work, etc. At that point, I decided to sell it before it was too beat up. I then called the AD and get an update. Lo and behold, I was never placed on the list. I expressed my frustration of being deceived and they told me that I would be placed on top of the waitlist.

While I was there, I saw an Omega CK2998 pulsometer and thought that it was absolutely gorgeous. I tried it on, and although it was thick, it was incredibly light and comfortable. I pulled the trigger and walked away with the CK2998. The next day, I was washing the car and splashed a little water on the watch, within 30 minutes of coming inside, there was major condensation inside the watch. I took it back to the AD and they sent it in for warranty.

During this waiting time, I visited a smaller AD near my house to see if they could polish my JLC Master Compressor. (They couldn't due to the chamfered edges). I took a look around and casually asked about a Sub. As it turns out, they had one back in the safe along with a GMT! I tried on the Sub and although I didn't like the Maxi case at the time, it grew on my quickly. I walked out with the Sub that night and asked to be placed on the list for a Daytona.

It took over 2 months to get the Omega back! When I picked it up, there were small scratches all over the lugs. I thought, no biggie since I do wear the crap out of my watches anyways. The next night, I wore it to a banquet... a long... long... long.. banquet. So, to keep myself occupied, I started to time each speaker. after timing about 3 speakers, the chrono pusher stopped working and the chrono would not stop.

I went back to the big AD and told them that I wanted a full refund since I bought the watch over 2 months ago and have only been able to wear it for a few hours. My SA wasn't there at the time and I was helped by the manager. He was very understanding and issued me a full refund. I asked him how many Daytonas they've received this year and he said that the store hasn't had any in for months. That's when I found out that every SA has their own wait list. Whenever the AD get a watch, they allocate them to a store location, who allocates them to an SA, who then decides which of their customers gets to have it. That's exactly when I realized that I had no shot there.

Since going to the smaller AD, I've returned for small jewelry purchases and built a pretty good report with the manager (he's a car guy as well). He indicated that their store will get 2 Daytonas in this year and they've already received a black one in January. I will get the next one in if it's white.

Some lessons I've learned:
(1) bigger AD doesn't mean they will get more watches in. The smaller AD had just as good of a selection.
(2) I am completely turned off by Omega and won't buy another one. The JLC was nice but it didn't keep time as well as I would like. Both my Daytona and my current Sub is within 1 sec a day.
(3) Rolex fits my lifestyle. It's accurate and tough as nails. I am skeptical of buying any other brand unless it's for infrequent formal wear.
(4) Smaller ADs rock. They have lesser foot traffic and remember your name. The level of service is outstanding compared to the big guy.
(5) Buy the watch you want. If I would've paid the mark up for the Daytona a year ago, I could've had the watch for $17.5k. Instead, I bought a JLC, Omega CK2998, and a WG Daytona. After selling the JLC and WG Daytona, I could've covered the mark-up for the SS Daytona. But now, I still don't have the watch I actually wanted.
(6) The sub was never on my radar but it rocks. The legibility is amazing, it's tough, and it keeps amazing time. I expected to sell it whenever the Daytona arrives but I don't think I will anymore. I think it's a keeper.
capt_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 05:12 AM   #2
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Great story and thanks for sharing your experience. Upon reading it, it is very similar to others, hopefully would be new owners will get a chance to read this and help in their journey.

I tried the small AD route, but in my experience, 2 small ADs are just not getting the allocations (or they're shining me on), and I have a purchase history with both in watches and jewelry.

Like you, I believe it's better off to pay the gray premium and get it now, rather than dealing with AD games. I also check the Euro airport ADs when I get a chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome aboard~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:39 PM   #5
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 08:06 AM   #6
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Great story! Thanks for sharing and it’s sad to hear the Omega didn’t treat you well.

Welcome to the forums and look forward to seeing you around!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Welcome
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:52 AM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome