The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2019, 02:53 PM   #1
hisairness
"TRF" Member

Which countries/AD have the best SS stock/availability???

Hi All,

It seems that some countries/ADs seem to have better stock of steel sports models than others. For example, it seems that particular European countries (especially Italy and the UK) and the middle east seem to have lots of stock.

Of course, there are a lot of variables that affect this:
-Demand! I'd imagine the difficulty in getting a SS model in most of Asia is due to the insane demand, e.g. Hong Kong and Singapore being difficult places to get a piece MSRP in an AD.
-Personal relationship with AD! This of course matters a lot, particularly for hard to get models, the Daytonas, GMTs etc.

What do people think?? Are there particular countries or ADs that seem to have better stock than others?

The supply in Australia is disproportionately low, the shelves are never full, mainly just datejusts!!! I dont see this ever improving lol
hisairness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Of the Asian countries, I think China has the best inventory. The MSRP is higher due to luxury tax but you can see 1 to 5 SS pieces and PM sports amongst others. Of course, there are still no SS Daytona, SS GMT and SS sub.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Lord Hectic
Banned

Watch: Pepsi
It's a global strategy.
Lord Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:22 PM   #4
FireMedic37
"TRF" Member

I live in Singapore and travel in the region weekly........all dry. Singapore, Thailand, Manila, Vietnam.........all the same.
FireMedic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:23 PM   #5
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Pretty global now. Expect windows of Datejusts and if you see anything more it’s a bonus.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisairness View Post
Hi All,

It seems that some countries/ADs seem to have better stock of steel sports models than others. For example, it seems that particular European countries (especially Italy and the UK) and the middle east seem to have lots of stock.

Of course, there are a lot of variables that affect this:
-Demand! I'd imagine the difficulty in getting a SS model in most of Asia is due to the insane demand, e.g. Hong Kong and Singapore being difficult places to get a piece MSRP in an AD.
-Personal relationship with AD! This of course matters a lot, particularly for hard to get models, the Daytonas, GMTs etc.

What do people think?? Are there particular countries or ADs that seem to have better stock than others?

The supply in Australia is disproportionately low, the shelves are never full, mainly just datejusts!!! I dont see this ever improving lol
Good morning from the UK..........not sure how you have assumed that SS Sports pieces are easier to get hold of here in the UK but from my limited experience its generally zero to no chance. Lets put it this way, if someone offers to put your name on a waste of time list, then that is a achievement in itself.

Recently my wife has heard me mention "submariner", so yesterday she happened to be passing a AD in Central London. She doesn't have an idea what it looks like or anything but thought she would enquire (poor woman didn't realise what she was letting herself into). My wife said the SA categorically said no chance and no list. In simpleton terms this is a basic but classic SS Sports piece which upto recent times has been generally available. Im glad my wife didn't mention "pepsi"........... Poor woman lol.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:34 PM   #7
le.mio
"TRF" Member

Very dry here in New Zealand too
le.mio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:07 PM   #8
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

I havnt seen anything of interest in a uk AD for a few years now
Old 27 May 2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Leaving Russia today. Moscow has the best selection of SS datejusts I’ve seen in 2 years. Every 41mm model in all colour variations. No professional models though.

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:25 PM   #10
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
The U.S. is bone dry. Display cases, once festooned with SS models, are barren. I keep thinking it's just temporary, that I caught an AD between restockings, but they don't restock. If you listen closely at ADs you can hear tumbleweeds blowing through the aisles.
Old 27 May 2019, 04:29 PM   #11
hisairness
"TRF" Member

There are 3-4 ADs in Sydney, which all have limited stock. I guess what I was getting at in regards to Europe, was just the sheer number of ADs. Typing in Italy into the Rolex dealer locator yields 40+ ADs for the one country!! ADs in smaller towns, etc.

The caveat to this is of course the significantly larger population in Italy, and most other European countries!
hisairness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:43 PM   #12
tabs2000
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710BLNR, 79220N
I am curious as to how an owner of a Jewelery store justifies paying rent on square footage to house empty display cases. If Rolex is making it so hard for the AD to get products to sell what’s the point of carrying the brand. I understand they are holding the SS sport models back as an incentive to get you to buy other products but it just seems like a bad look for the store.

My wife and I stopped into an AD a couple weeks ago and she asked when we left, why they were getting ready to close so early. I told here nope that’s what an AD looks like these days.
tabs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 06:25 PM   #13
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisairness View Post
Hi All,

Really!?

I would like to know where you got this misleading information from?
Old 27 May 2019, 06:51 PM   #14
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

As already indicated above, the U.K. has been one of the very worst countries in the world for SS Rolex. Everybody has to deal with unprecedented demand, but only we had to deal with the consequences of the EU referendum and the subsequent tanking of the currency which resulted in Rolex being cheaper for foreign shoppers here than virtually anywhere else in the world.

Having said that, it’s getting to the point where everywhere is equally bad. If everywhere has nothing, nowhere can be “best” for buying.
Old 27 May 2019, 07:04 PM   #15
The M3 Guy
"TRF" Member

How about the west coast countries of South America, I am thinking there is no use looking at affluent countries probably more luck with the emerging new economic countries.
The M3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 07:09 PM   #16
desertwanderer
"TRF" Member

No real stock of SS on display here in Dubai apart from the odd Air King, Explorer or Milgauss. There are plenty of DJ / DD / OP and Chellini around in all kinds of trim from Steel to TT to PM and even Diamond Encrusted (whatever the abreviation for that is).
I have been building up my relationship as best as possible and have been told that I can order and expect in a reasonable time any of - SS Sub (black only), Skydweller (Black), Seadweller, Yacht master..... however for BLRO is no, Daytona is only available in WG and YG, BLRO forget it, BLNR well im on the list but there was a strong suggestion that may be some time unless i built up a stronger relationship through other purchases.........
Sadly i just dont really like many of the options available and i already have a vintage DJ. Not sure if that is better or worse than elsewhere.
desertwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 07:12 PM   #17
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hectic View Post
It's a global strategy.
Yes......would seem that this is pretty much worldwide with very little prospect of change in the short term!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 07:21 PM   #18
HappyFish
Banned

Plenty in switzerland! But only for swiss - it`s a variation of "America first"!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:43 PM   #19
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
Plenty in switzerland! But only for swiss
I somehow doubt it. They might have some watches and prefer to sell them to locals (as any AD would), but I don't think they have plenty enough to sell any SS sports model to any Swiss person without WL. Otherwise I'm calling my Swiss friends and getting on a plane right now.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:45 PM   #20
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
If everywhere has nothing, nowhere can be “best” for buying.
Nowadays best place for buying is literally wherever you can get one.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:50 PM   #21
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
I somehow doubt it. They might have some watches and prefer to sell them to locals (as any AD would), but I don't think they have plenty enough to sell any SS sports model to any Swiss person without WL. Otherwise I'm calling my Swiss friends and getting on a plane right now.
Always worth a journey - if you don`t get a Rolex - swiss chocolates make happy too!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:51 PM   #22
watchfan1845
"TRF" Member

I'd say Hong Kong, but as recent posts have illustrated, despite increase availability, you'd have to be lucky to intercept them before they end up with a whale or a grey.
watchfan1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:59 PM   #23
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Australian ADs are drier that the Atacama Desert
Old 27 May 2019, 09:00 PM   #24
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have more stock than my local AD.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 09:03 PM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Supply is the same as it has always been with a few tweaks here and there, but whether they get to a new end user is very different now as there are far more heads in the trough that need feeding first, before newbies/flippers get a chance.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 09:07 PM   #26
lee103012
Banned

I was able to get myself on the waiting list for a sub ND with an AD here in Switzerland after proving to them that I live locally. I got the call after about 3 months. But with a BLRO, no chance. Most ADs I visited here are not accepting new names on the WL for the foreseeable future. I was told that the list for the new BLNR is shorter and probably easier to get so I put my name down anyway but I doubt that I'll pull the trigger if I get the call. Somehow it doesn't tickle my fancy.
lee103012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 09:07 PM   #27
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I have more stock than my local AD.
can I get on your list ?
Old 27 May 2019, 09:17 PM   #28
planemad
"TRF" Member

In Tenerife this week and there is only 1 SS explorer in the AD south of the island.
Lots of PM DDs and a Two tone sub.
planemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 09:19 PM   #29
peterp
"TRF" Member

Like in former communist countries - everything was available but in black market at higher price. The only difference it was officialy ilegal but everyone bought there anyway.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 09:31 PM   #30
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
There are no models in Asia.

Europe also has extremely limited supply.

If I was that interested in getting a SS model it would be in the US.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote