The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 May 2008, 04:23 AM   #1
b1e3
"TRF" Member

1959 Rolex Explorer

I am looking at purchasing a 1959 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer from a very reputable and high end store nearby. The dealer has explained this piece to me as being rather iconic with the history of the Explorer line and its association with the Everest Expedition, which piqued my interest. The details of this watch are:

-Round, black original dial
-Stainless steel
-Automatic
-25 jewels
-Black crocodile band (new)

-Certificate of Authenticity
-1 year warranty

The face does have a patina to it (slight fading), giving the watch a beautiful vintage look. I do like the look of the patina, but was wondering if it affected value in any way?

Were 1950s Explorers made with leather bands, metal bands or both?

I understand that these early explorers are very collectable and do command a premium over other Rolexes of this time period. They are asking $8,000 for this piece. The price seems high, but it is an extremely trustworthy and reputable company who is selling this watch.

Your feedback is much appreciated and highly anticipated. Thank you in advance.
b1e3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 04:34 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Sounds like a fine time-piece. Next to the Date Just, the early Explorer is one of the most recognisable watches with it's distinctive 3-6-9 dial

I can't comment on the price...If original, it could be worth quite a bit.. Are you sure it's 25 jewels ?

In the 1950's you could generally order the watch with any style of band, or without and add your own. It's probably not possible to know without the original paperwork but a watch that old may well have worn out at least a couple of bands no matter what they were made of.
Old 5 May 2008, 04:37 AM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Could you post a pic of the Explorer? Then we can better help you.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1e3 View Post
I understand that these early explorers are very collectable and do command a premium over other Rolexes of this time period. They are asking $8,000 for this piece. The price seems high, but it is an extremely trustworthy and reputable company who is selling this Watch.
Err buddy b1e3...welcome to the forum...

There are quite a few early models of Rolex Explorer 3-6-9 that can be found...n amongst those...the most commonly found these days are Ref: 1016...

There are also other closely similar earlier models of the Rolex Explorers...n these can be very very rare to find in original n good conditions...

...such as Ref: Air-king Explorer 5500/1002...
Ref: 5500/5500...
Ref: 5504...
Ref: 6610...
Ref: 6350...(perhaps the 1st Explorers)
Ref: 6298(white Dial)...

n together with the Ref 1016...the resale market prices of these early Explorers do vary very much...from as little as USD1,500 to USD25,000 or even more...depending greatly on the individual models...n the state of conditions...

Due to its immense popularity...the early Rolex Explorer watches are the most targeted by the faked Rolex watche makers that can be easily found...anywhere.

So you have to be very very careful which model reference that you are being offered...to begin with.

Good luck buddy...!
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 05:03 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

That date would put the watch in the gilt era which can command a high price.

Here's a place to view some dials,

http://www.network54.com/Forum/539644/
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Beef
"TRF" Member

Like Buddy Orchi says, they are heavily counterfieted. Be sure and check between the lugs AND inside the caseback for Model #. Some early AKs are redialed, mostly something like 6620 or 6210, off the top of my head I think are the ref. #s. So you get a genuine Rolex case, movement and new fake or old redial with replacement hands. Also, be sure that the movement # matches the model ref. #. The Explorer fakes are the most sophisticated out there (IMHO), yet some of the simplest to make with the most original components. I almost got burned once. Thank God I asked to see the movement and inner case back. Between the lugs was the correct model #. Good luck, I hope it pans out genuine.
Old 5 May 2008, 08:45 AM   #7
b1e3
"TRF" Member

Attached is a picture of this watch. Thanks for all of your help thus far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1959 Rolex Explorer.jpg (43.7 KB, 415 views)
Old 5 May 2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Beef
"TRF" Member

The dial looks correct for an Explorer, but not for the period described. I may be wrong, but I believe in 1959 the dials were still marked "SWISS" below 6 o'clock, not the "SWISS-T<25" as shown. That didn't start until the early '60's. So it would be of great help to know the Ref# between the lugs. Also, again, check inside the caseback and get the mvt. #. $8000 is high for a 1016 or 5500. Also, (a biggy)the "Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified" indicates a later model ref. If you are buying from a reputable dealer, they will be glad to check and verify all this. It may be an honest mistake.
Old 5 May 2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Seeing the picture I will agree with Beef. Radium was used until 1960 so you won't see a T marked dial until then.

Looks like a much later model....possibly into the 80's (or a redialed version)You need to pop off the back case and check the numbers ..During the 50's to the 70's they stamped the inside of the caseback with the date..i,e, IV 59.

Tough to say...they were almost identical from the mid 60's into the 80's.. That's not to say there is anything wrong with it...just that it needs a bit more research..
Old 5 May 2008, 01:42 PM   #10
b1e3
"TRF" Member

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am inexperienced in the watch world and therefore have a few more questions:

-I should ask the dealer for the number inside of the case for the year and the movement # in addition to the reference number?

-If the numbers do not match up and or the dial has been replaced, what would be a fair price for this watch?

-If the numbers match and the dial is original, what would be a fair price for this watch?

Thank you.
Old 5 May 2008, 02:45 PM   #11
Orchi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1e3 View Post
The price seems high, but it is an extremely trustworthy and reputable company who is selling this watch.
Err buddy B1e3...although at this point...it's important to know the actual model reference of the Explorer...serial numbers...n caseback reference numbers...that would be signed between the lugs n inside of the caseback cover...which was offered to you...to determine the watch's worth...

Nonetheless...it's utmost important you need to be sure that the Seller...is extremely trustworthy...

1. Does he offer you money back guarantee...?
2. Does he offer you warranty on the watch...?
3. Is there anyone else that you know who can attest to the Seller's credentials...?

So those are some of the more important priorities...that you need to consider...
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 06:19 PM   #12
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
(...)Also, (a biggy)the "Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified" indicates a later model ref.(...)
Well, the change from "Officially Certified Chronometer" to "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" happened in 1957. So a 1016 from 1959 would indeed show the latter chronometer nomenclature.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Well, the change from "Officially Certified Chronometer" to "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" happened in 1957. So a 1016 from 1959 would indeed show the latter chronometer nomenclature.
Thanks, Bo, I thought it was later. I stand corrected.