The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2015, 08:02 PM   #31
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats in advance! Can't go wrong either way.
Is both an option? One for you and one for your wife?
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 08:09 PM   #32
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurv1717 View Post
No, I appreciate all input. The dated warranty card isn't a deal breaker, but why not since I am planning ahead.

I get the idea of just buying them a new watch at the appointed time, but part of what makes it special to me is that it was dad's watch that he wore. My dad isn't into watches, but it would be very meaningful to me if he passed down something like that.

I like the idea. If it were me getting the watch which had been bought on my birth, I would be quite happy. I like sentiments like this. So I think go for it. Why not.

I vote for the Hulk.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 02:36 AM   #33
Nurv1717
"TRF" Member

Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Congrats in advance! Can't go wrong either way.
Is both an option? One for you and one for your wife?
Thank you! Both probably is not an option right now. Wallet is still recovering from the AP Jumbo purchased a few months ago. Also, thankfully, my wife doesn't care too much about watches for herself
Nurv1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 07:35 AM   #34
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Congrats in advance.

I'm in the same boat as you as am planning pretty much the exact same thing but with a DJ. Plus my son is now 3 weeks old and I'm hoping to finally get to go watch shopping next week

I've decided on a birth year watch but my advice is... Give up on trying to get the warranty card to have the D.O.B on it. It's a lovely idea in theory...

In reality, you're in hospital with your new child, your wife is knackered, you're knackered you're both in shock but happily enjoying your new bundle of joy... "errr darling I'm just popping out for a few hours (and am going to leave you alone with the baby) to go in to town to buy a watch"

Good luck with that
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:41 AM   #35
Nurv1717
"TRF" Member

birth watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Congrats in advance.

I'm in the same boat as you as am planning pretty much the exact same thing but with a DJ. Plus my son is now 3 weeks old and I'm hoping to finally get to go watch shopping next week

I've decided on a birth year watch but my advice is... Give up on trying to get the warranty card to have the D.O.B on it. It's a lovely idea in theory...

In reality, you're in hospital with your new child, your wife is knackered, you're knackered you're both in shock but happily enjoying your new bundle of joy... "errr darling I'm just popping out for a few hours (and am going to leave you alone with the baby) to go in to town to buy a watch"

Good luck with that
Spoken like a man with experience. Ya I think unless they are willing to backdate it, assuming the piece is already paid for, then that idea is kaput. Oh well, I actually like the idea of wearing it at their birth better. Congrats on your new son as well
Old 29 July 2015, 09:01 AM   #36
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Congrats
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 09:57 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Blue for a Boy, Green for a Girl.

When in doubt, alliterate.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 10:17 AM   #38
innova
"TRF" Member

Both also good. Buy what u like. If u r always traveling , then GMT is more suitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 04:59 PM   #39
innova
"TRF" Member

Both also good. If you are always traveling, go for the GMT
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 07:43 PM   #40
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurv1717 View Post
Oh well, I actually like the idea of wearing it at their birth better. Congrats on your new son as well

Thanks.

I like this idea a lot !!!

I wore my Sub for the birth and now I could never ever let this watch go as we've been through such an amazing experience together !!

Getting the watch before hand will give it an immediate sentimental tie.

Best of luck! Keep us updated !!
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 11:50 PM   #41
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post

Good luck with that
Actually I think that can be accomplished rather easily. Pick out your watch, put down the deposit, wait for the big event, then call your AD and tell them to run your credit card to finalize the purchase. You get the warranty card with your child's date of birth and you don't have to leave their side on the biggest day of your life. Pick up the watch at your leisure. Win, win.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 02:05 AM   #42
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubarzy View Post
I faced the same decision in April, went with the BLNR! My wife liked the LVC, but since I'll be wearing it for the next 20+ years, I won the tie breaker lol. Congrats to you and your wife on the incoming!!
I agree with this, and if your child doesn't like it, you'll be wearing it much longer. If you have a daughter, just remember a lot of ladies love blue. My other half does and she'd wear a blnr in a heart beat over the LV.

Also, purely hypothetical, but if you have a grandson down the line, he'll prob like the blnr :)
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 06:05 AM   #43
DPE
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on the birth. Sort of understand the idea of a watch for the new born, but then if you wear it for 20years first, before you give it to your Son/Daughter it seems to take the idea away from them. More of a present for the New Dad with the birth date on. Also not a bad idea !!
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 10:08 AM   #44
Nurv1717
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate all the input thus far. Lots to think about. I did try on a BLNR at a local AD yesterday. It's a nice piece, I like it, but it didn't "wow" me ya know? I felt more excitement when trying on the Hulk with that green sunburst dial. However, I love the look of the BLNR on a jubilee bracelet.

I have plenty of time for it to sink in and make a decision. I think it wise to get the piece I want to wear and let the chips fall where they may in regards to it being passed down some day, just too many variables.
Old 31 July 2015, 11:00 AM   #45
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Congrats and good thinking. I would go with a classic, like a sub or Explorer I, maybe a 36mm DJ. That'll work for any gender, I think. Kids probably will never fully appreciate it, but in the long run its an exceptional and memorable gift.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2015, 11:10 AM   #46
boost2perfection
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Hulk, Batman is nice but I don't really get the hype...
boost2perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 11:35 AM   #47
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
I'd say batman, they'll find more use for it when they travel the world.

Anyways, I'm sort of in the same boat. After a free for all the last few months shopping for myself, I'm thinking blnr or ln since I don't have a gmt2 myself. Does this work out if you happen to buy bnib from a collector on trf? Or do you need to purchase from an AD?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 11:57 AM   #48
chickennho
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone
My vote is HULK!!!!!!!!!
chickennho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 12:38 PM   #49
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
I don't understand the sentimentality of the born on date warranty card. Also, in most threads where people ask the forum to choose between current models and past models, current tend to win. This is based on upgraded movements and design features such as the glidelock or parachrome. Lastly, and this is just me, but any watch I wear for 20+ years is going to be beat to hell. I'd just hold off and buy them at watch at the time if you think they would like it. Not that you were asking...
I think it means a LOT that a child grows up seeing you with a particular watch every day, and then someday, they end up with that timepiece. It's a piece of their father that they will always have (until they pass it along)
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 12:43 PM   #50
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
Blnr
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 12:45 PM   #51
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

I bought a SubC and the papers are dated with the day my son was born.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2015, 12:49 PM   #52
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Wait, weren't you the guy who looked amazing with the DD40 in rose gold?

THAT's a watch to pass down.

Or a black sub with date--a timeless classic.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2015, 06:48 AM   #53
Nurv1717
"TRF" Member

Birth watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Wait, weren't you the guy who looked amazing with the DD40 in rose gold?

THAT's a watch to pass down.

Or a black sub with date--a timeless classic.
Yes, it was I...

Problem is I don't see this being at all feasible come January financially speaking. I just bought the AP Jumbo in April and believe you me my wife has many ideas for where the money could go now with a kid on the way. The DINK life is coming to an end . It's all for the best though

I lean towards the Hulk because it is a watch that I would likely buy at some point anyways and would fit nicely in my collection, but I understand it's not as classic as many other watches one might consider to pass down.