The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2018, 08:50 AM   #1
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
The definitive Speedmaster adjustable clasp thread

I have been trying to get an adjustable clasp for my Speedmaster (version with the screwed bracelet). My local Omega boutique was unbelievably helpful in getting this squared away for me. Here is what we found. There was another thread on here that indicated that the parts required are:

Clasp - 117STZ001154
End links - 118STZ000015 (quantity 2)

We tried this configuration. The clasp is good, however the end links as specified above are from a Speedmaster Mk II, and they are not the correct shape. They fit, but they don't sit properly. The side profile of the Speedmaster link is an oval shape, whereas the side profile for the Mk II end links is a wedge that is very odd. As soon as they put them on, I knew it wasn't right. We then installed the 118ST1589 end links from the Seamaster line, and they fit perfect.

So, in summary, you need quantity of 1 (part number 117STZ001154) and quantity of 2 (part number 118ST1589).

The total cost of the 3 pieces was $213, and it makes a fantastic watch even more incredible.

One other note regarding this change. The adjustable clasp is longer than the original clasp, which looks better to my eye. The other notable difference is that the clasp only has Omega and the Omega logo. It doesn't have Speedmaster Professional engraved. It definitely has a cleaner look. Overall, I'm thrilled.

Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade your Speedmaster.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 10:24 AM   #2
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

very helpful...i keep forgetting to write down the info
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:06 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Thank you, Steve, for creating this thread. The advice in your original post was absolutely precise for my contemporary bracelet (reference 1958). I phoned one AD (Topper) and a couple of Omega Boutiques before I found a Boutique who had the parts in stock. They shipped the parts right out, and I think it took me about 30 minutes to complete the installation (and I tend to go slowly on stuff like this).

This clasp works beautifully on the Speedmaster Pro, and it provides exactly the instant corrections needed to maintain a perfectly comfortable fit when changing conditions affect wrist size.

Here is my Speedmaster with its original clasp just before beginning the swap:

The parts required. Note that the pin and screw caps required to attach the clasp to the new end-link are included with the new end-link:

I will note here to anyone else doing his own installation that the attachment of the new end-link to this side of the new clasp is different from the attachment of the bracelet's original end-link to its original clasp. On the original components, the end-link can swivel where it's attached to the clasp; on the new clasp, this end-link attaches in a fixed position as shown in this photo:

Here is the new clasp, all mounted up and ready to go! Important note: since this new clasp is longer than the original, you should remove one more link than you used before, and I think it should probably be removed from the 12:00 side of the bracelet:

These photos show the micro-adjust mechanism, first with it fully retracted, and then with it extended about half its range, and half its range seems nearly the equivalent of one full link:

Total cost was $213 plus sales tax, and the Boutique shipped 2nd-day at no additional charge. I'm very pleased with the result, and I feel great knowing I don't have to worry now about striking the right compromise in the fitment of my Speedmaster's bracelet. I recommend this investment.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:34 AM   #4
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Awesome review Tony. Great job. It really makes a huge difference, and I prefer the look of the larger clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:40 AM   #5
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks guys, nice job !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 06:49 AM   #6
Marco76
"TRF" Member

Wow! Great work, thanks for sharing!
Marco76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 05:39 AM   #7
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

did this mod last week...highly recommend to anyone who've had to make adjustments for hot vs cold days.
initially i thought the 3-position clasp version would be sufficient...also as the length of the clasp is closer to that of the speedy's original. however, the 6-position version turned out to be absolutely perfect...and all 6 positions have ended up becoming very useful.

for those even slightly considering this mod, just get it done!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 10:36 AM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
This is fantastic info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 April 2018, 08:03 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
did this mod last week...highly recommend to anyone who've had to make adjustments for hot vs cold days.
initially i thought the 3-position clasp version would be sufficient...also as the length of the clasp is closer to that of the speedy's original. however, the 6-position version turned out to be absolutely perfect...and all 6 positions have ended up becoming very useful.

for those even slightly considering this mod, just get it done!
Old 9 April 2018, 08:38 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I did the same modification with my Speedmaster 44.25. I went through the Boutique in Pittsburgh and the salesman was Nick. He was very helpful and verified that the modification would work. They had the clasp on hand but had to get the end links sent from another Boutique. It cost less than $250 including tax and shipping. The clasp made all the difference in the wear on my watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180315_112823 (002).jpg (185.7 KB, 2873 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just finished mine.

Thanks for the info guys!

Took about 20 minutes and it's good to go!
Old 10 April 2018, 11:07 AM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Just finished mine.

Thanks for the info guys!

Took about 20 minutes and it's good to go!
Nice work!
Old 24 June 2018, 09:38 AM   #13
Heff
"TRF" Member

Just had this done on my Speedy and it is fantastic! Really enhances the watch. Very comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 09:00 PM   #14
raheelc
"TRF" Member

Apologies for bumping an old thread, was thinking of doing this with my Speedy, but I have the reference 3570.50 Speedy that has the pin and collar links. Will this clasp and end links fit on the bracelet for this reference?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
raheelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 09:40 PM   #15
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
This.Is.Awesome
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 03:56 AM   #16
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
My local OB did the clasp swap for me and now.. perfect fit. It is worth the effort and not having to spend a lot of money
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 08:14 AM   #17
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheelc View Post
Apologies for bumping an old thread, was thinking of doing this with my Speedy, but I have the reference 3570.50 Speedy that has the pin and collar links. Will this clasp and end links fit on the bracelet for this reference?

Before the adjustable clasp became available, I had a Seamaster half-link installed in my bracelet. It is now perfect and the 2-position adjustments are all I need.
Old 27 August 2018, 08:16 AM   #18
raheelc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Before the adjustable clasp became available, I had a Seamaster half-link installed in my bracelet. It is now perfect and the 2-position adjustments are all I need.
I actually have a half link installed too, but the fit is still off. Was thinking of going with an adjustable clasp if I can figure out what end links will work with the pins and collar bracelet.

Old 27 August 2018, 01:38 PM   #19
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

This clasp can be installed on your bracelet, but the new end-links you will purchase in order to attach the clasp to the bracelet will be different from the new end-links described in this thread. I'm not sure of the Omega part number for the end-links you need. Perhaps a search for similar threads on TRF and on other watch fora, or a discussion with one of the more savvy staff members at an Omega Boutique would turn that info up.
Old 27 August 2018, 02:01 PM   #20
raheelc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
This clasp can be installed on your bracelet, but the new end-links you will purchase in order to attach the clasp to the bracelet will be different from the new end-links described in this thread. I'm not sure of the Omega part number for the end-links you need. Perhaps a search for similar threads on TRF and on other watch fora, or a discussion with one of the more savvy staff members at an Omega Boutique would turn that info up.
Yep, I've been doing some research, and from what I've gathered, there Are 3 different clasps available that can fit:

117STZ001154 -- has 6 adjustment positions

xxxx1159 -- 6 adjustment positions with a Diver's extension

xxxx4666 -- 3 micro adjustment positions

And in terms of end links, there are two different ones that should fit the 1998 bracelet on my 3570.50:

118STZ000015

118st1589

I'm going to try and stop by the OB soon and see if I can pick up these parts

Old 31 August 2018, 01:47 AM   #21
Senorx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
Definitely gonna look into this.
Senorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 02:31 AM   #22
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Great thread with great info. Bookmarking this as I'll probably need it next year.
Old 2 September 2018, 04:01 AM   #23
JBF1911
"TRF" Member

Just did the clasp swap on my Speedmaster, definitely worth the time, effort and expense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBF1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 05:15 AM   #24
raheelc
"TRF" Member

Do you have the newer reference speedy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF1911 View Post
Just did the clasp swap on my Speedmaster, definitely worth the time, effort and expense.

Old 4 September 2018, 03:13 AM   #25
JBF1911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you have the newer reference speedy?

Yeah it’s the most recent model with screwed link bracelet.

JBF1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 08:10 AM   #26
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Great upgrade and pretty cheap, have done it a few times. Hope was this easy and cheap with Rolex
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 10:40 PM   #27
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Can this clasp be added to an older omega bracelet? One without screw type links? In thinking either a 1171 or 1479.

mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 10:44 PM   #28
raheelc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
Can this clasp be added to an older omega bracelet? One without screw type links? In thinking either a 1171 or 1479.

I know it will fit the older 1998 bracelet, which is a pin and collar style, but not sure about the ones you mentioned.

Old 14 September 2018, 03:10 AM   #29
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post

I believe the answer is no because the links of reference 1171 and reference 1479 measure 16mm wide at the point where the clasp attaches to the bracelet, but the new clasp in question is designed for bracelets that are 18mm wide at the point where the clasp attaches.
Old 3 November 2018, 05:40 AM   #30
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
The clasp on my 1479 closes very securely, with a very definitive click, indicating it’s closed...my issue is with opening the clasp to take the watch off, it’s not super hard or anything but it does take some effort, feel like over time that would take its toll...as with my new Speedy the bracelet has the two buttons on either side to release the clasp making the process much easier...is this just a normal quirk of the clasp release on the 1479 bracelet?
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote