The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2020, 01:27 AM   #1
doramas
Banned

For when a ceramic Tudor Black Bay?

A watch like the Tudor Black Bay should have a ceramic bezel. A watch worth about 3,500 euros should have a ceramic bezel, as cheaper divers like Longines Hydroconquest, Certina DS PH200M and many more wear them.

What do you think?

The excuse that you're paying homage to historical watches doesn't convince me
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:43 AM   #2
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

I prefer the matte look of the current aluminum bezel insert. And if I wanted a Cerachrome insert I'd have went with a Sub.

Besides, specs never tell you where the "cheaper alternative" lack in terms of finishing.

Look at the bezel teeth and the crude finishing on the hands...a ceramic bezel doesn't mean anything when the rest of the watch doesn't measure up.

Now compare that with the bezel teeth on the Black Bay.

mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:51 AM   #3
zjd168
"TRF" Member

you are assuming ceramic bezel is an upgrade and better than aluminium. This is an opinion but not necessary a fact, and there are still a lot of rolex/tudor enthusiasts prefer the aluminum bezel.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:53 AM   #4
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Or get a Pelagos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:54 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
A watch like the Tudor Black Bay should have a ceramic bezel. A watch worth about 3,500 euros should have a ceramic bezel, as cheaper divers like Longines Hydroconquest, Certina DS PH200M and many more wear them.

What do you think?

Pelagos

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:54 AM   #6
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Although I generally prefer the vibe that the aluminum bezel contributes too (I favor vintage flavors), I also understand the OP’s point. So many brands that are significantly less expensive than Tudor are able to source ceramic affordably, even “homage” brands like Squale and Steinhart at <$1000 USD.

Regardless of cost and supply chain for ceramic, from a business model perspective I don’t see Tudor offering ceramic. My take on things right now, in the dive watch category: Rolex divers represent the modern luxury approach...larger cases, premium bracelets, and the arguably blingier ceramic bezels (not to mention sunburst shiny dials). For those who long for a return to the 5-digit approach, the Tudor BB58 is the offering from Wilsdorf...similar dimensions and aluminum fittings. This allows for separation of product lines and brands.

Hopefully we’ll see more offerings in the BB58 form factor, as I don’t think Rolex will return to that format anytime soon. For those who want Wilsdorf “Sub” in ceramic, for better or worse, a Rolex is the only foreseeable option (*besides the excellent Pelagos)

Last edited by Oyster Sauce; 6 July 2020 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Overlooked exception
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 01:58 AM   #7
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Pelagos

I know, but we're talking about the Black Bay.

It doesn't have to do with Tudor having another watch with a ceramic bezel.
Old 6 July 2020, 02:10 AM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ceramic doesnt have much to do with the heritage aspect that the model came out under. I own both. The aluminum bezel is just as nice to me.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 6 July 2020, 02:13 AM   #9
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Although I generally prefer the vibe that the aluminum bezel contributes too (I favor vintage flavors), I also understand the OP’s point. So many brands that are significantly less expensive than Tudor are able to source ceramic affordably, even “homage” brands like Squale and Steinhart at &lt;$1000 USD.

Regardless of cost and supply chain for ceramic, from a business model perspective I don’t see Tudor offering ceramic. My take on things right now, in the dive watch category: Rolex divers represent the modern luxury approach...larger cases, premium bracelets, and the arguably blingier ceramic bezels (not to mention sunburst shiny dials). For those who long for a return to the 5-digit approach, the Tudor BB58 is the offering from Wilsdorf...similar dimensions and aluminum fittings. This allows for separation of product lines and brands.

Hopefully we’ll see more offerings in the BB58 form factor, as I don’t think Rolex will return to that format anytime soon. For those who want Wilsdorf “Sub” in ceramic, for better or worse, a Rolex is the only foreseeable option (*besides the excellent Pelagos)
This.

Also it's not difficult to see - why do you think the Pelagos has a ceramic bezel with a matte finish?

Product differentiation.
Old 6 July 2020, 02:17 AM   #10
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But you say you don’t buy the homage thing as an excuse. It doesn’t need to be, it could just their justification and logic within their product lineup. A debate can’t be had in isolation of all the factors at play.

Old 6 July 2020, 02:19 AM   #11
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Ceramic doesnt have much to do with the heritage aspect that the model came out under. I own both. The aluminum bezel is just as nice to me.

Even though it's nice, you can't deny that ceramics is a step up in quality.

I like the 5-digit Submariner better, but I know that the 6-digit ceramic Submariner is better
Old 6 July 2020, 02:40 AM   #12
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I like the 5-digit Submariner better, but I know that the 6-digit ceramic Submariner is better

A step up in durability that you perceive as a quality improvement. That’s where different tastes and perspectives of what we want in watches come into play.

Edit: the ease of swapping out aluminum inserts for example, is functional improvement over the cost of replacing damaged ceramic. There are always trade offs and newer isn’t always better. Just different with its own set of considerations.

Old 6 July 2020, 03:07 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To me the biggest difference between 5 and 6 digits is the bracelet and clasp. The bezel construction is better made which includes the insert for sure. Also the maxi dial.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 6 July 2020, 03:09 AM   #14
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
you are assuming ceramic bezel is an upgrade and better than aluminium. This is an opinion but not necessary a fact, and there are still a lot of rolex/tudor enthusiasts prefer the aluminum bezel.

This.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:19 AM   #15
1165dvd
"TRF" Member

I recall reading a post from micro brand owner Steve Laughlin of Raven Watches that the cost difference for him to do an aluminum bezel vs ceramic bezel was negligible. It came down to design. I can’t imagine it is for Tudor either.

Count me in the camp that loves how aluminum bezels look. And though they don’t patina how they once did, a few scuffs here and there don’t bother me at all. To me, some ceramic bezels look very harsh when paired with a matte dial. Though I did appreciate the look on my Seamaster.

1165dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:44 AM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

What do you think?

Why?

Should have is not a convincing argument.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:45 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Please explain how a different material "steps up quality"?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:49 AM   #18
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Don't ask for much, soon they will cost $5-6K when Rolex now is over $10K.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:50 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Don't ask for much, soon they will cost $5-6K when Rolex now is over $10K.
They already do for the chrono s&g.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 6 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #20
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

nope
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 06:10 AM   #21
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Disagree. The charm of the BB line is the vintage aesthetic. A shiny ceramic bezel would take away from that. If you want thoroughly modern, The Pelagos is it.

Now it would have been nice to see a sapphire Pepsi insert on the BB GMT that also glowed same as the dial & hands. If given a somewhat semi gloss sheen and kept the muted BB GMT colors, it could have harkened directly back to the original Rolex GMT bakelite inserts. Even at an extra $1K in MSRP Tudor could never make enough to satisfy the demand.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 06:12 AM   #22
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Don’t forget what is actually powering the watch itself? The MT5402 features a lot of tech typically utilized in higher end watches. This includes the use of a free sprung balance, the silicon hairspring, 70 hour power reserve, balance bridge vs balance cock, and bidirectional rotor ball bearings.

If anything, Tudor desperately needs a half link or a better adjustment system on their BlackBay line of bracelets
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:10 AM   #23
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What do you think?

if you think tudor black bay lacks value then go buy Longines or Certina or Tudor Pegalos, or Rolex Sub.

Tudor is doing it in aluminum for the black bays.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 10:29 AM   #24
RYARE
"TRF" Member

Other than the vintage appeal, might it be the fact that if Tudor BB went ceramic on its sports models, it might potentially cannibalize Rolex sales?
RYARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 11:53 AM   #25
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I prefer the matte look of the current aluminum bezel insert. And if I wanted a Cerachrome insert I'd have went with a Sub.
Matte ceramic bezels exist -- Omega offers them on Planet Oceans, for example. It just so happens that Rolex prefers 'em shiny. I prefer the shiny look myself in general, but I would probably find it out of place on a vintage-inspired watch.

I agree with the Op that a watch at the price point really shouldn't have an aluminum bezel insert. However, I also think the BB is generally so well executed for its price that I don't have a problem with it.

Watch buyers as a whole have concluded that ceramic and sapphire are more premium than aluminum and plastic, and Tudor/Rolex certainly knows this. But if people are snapping up the BB58 anyway, it seems like Tudor knows what it's doing. Although, I do wonder if any other Tudors are considered successful. Certainly, the original BB and Pelagos seem to shelf-warm, and Tudor's other offerings aren't even on the radar. I feel like the BB58 is holding the torch for the whole brand at this point.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:30 PM   #26
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
If Tudor does the BB58 in ceramic with better bracelet, it might make the Rolex Submariner seem overpriced, in my opinion.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:40 PM   #27
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I actually disagree, one of the reason I like the Tudors is the fact that they don’t use ceramic bezels. I want the fading, I want the scratches ....
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:24 PM   #28
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Don’t forget what is actually powering the watch itself? The MT5402 features a lot of tech typically utilized in higher end watches. This includes the use of a free sprung balance, the silicon hairspring, 70 hour power reserve, balance bridge vs balance cock, and bidirectional rotor ball bearings.

If anything, Tudor desperately needs a half link or a better adjustment system on their BlackBay line of bracelets
This for sure! The spring-loaded tensioning system on the Pelagos is ingenious. Whilst the clasp on the Black Bay line sucks in terms of facilitating wearing comfort.
Old 6 July 2020, 03:34 PM   #29
Speedfreek28
"TRF" Member

It’s hard to get away from the “homage excuse” because the black bay is naturally a classic looking timepiece and putting a bright ceramic bezel on it detracts from it’s overall appeal. The only way to thoroughly mess up an aluminum bezel is if you thrash the watch, but with that being said, weren’t Tudor and Rolex meant to be worn and last whatever you can throw at it?
Speedfreek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 03:36 PM   #30
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes, using aluminum is a cheap move by Tudor. As for “vintage aesthetic”, there’s only a very small percentage of watch buyers that care about that. And Tudor using fake rivets on the bracelet means they don’t really care about authenticity anyway. A matte ceramic insert would do the job just fine on the 58.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote