The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 29 November 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
The Dude

A Special Lens: Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS @ 1.2

This is my first MF lens since... I was a child.

It will take getting used to it and manually focusing at 1.2 takes practice.

My hats off to those who do it all the time.

This lens just fuzzies everything not in the focus pane...

No kidding

Of course it is really fun to play with.

What is in focus is in focus the rest is simply fuzzy looking

Case in point... Thin focus pane (Don't even know if I am using the right term...)

But it will be good for candids once I get faster with the MF operation...

Might even be great for streetphotography :smile:

A few more tries with it this afternoon

I even like some of the out of focus images with it...

This is going to be a really fun and possibly great lens, really sharp stepped down but for the sake of this thread, I am keeping the images at 1.2 only.

One suggestion I feel I need to make is that if you really like the 50mm range, either in the 1.8 or 1.4 version and you have a Nikon camera, get this 50/1.2 lens I find it really, truly, absolutely and sincerily worth it. You will love it.

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Dude, that lens is a Nikkor (Nikon) classic lens. The blur, called "bokeh", is outstanding on that lens as your wonderful photos demonstrate. Even the current AF 50/1.4 and 1.8 Nikkors are outstanding lenses. Many Nikon purists would not leave home without one of these fine lenses in their gadget bags. A great lens and great photos! Well done! Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2007, 06:55 AM   #3
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Great pics!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K Pres.DD 118238
I have a D-70 Nikon,what does this lens cost? Bill
bmackinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2007, 10:03 AM   #5
The Dude

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
Dude, that lens is a Nikkor (Nikon) classic lens. The blur, called "bokeh", is outstanding on that lens as your wonderful photos demonstrate. Even the current AF 50/1.4 and 1.8 Nikkors are outstanding lenses. Many Nikon purists would not leave home without one of these fine lenses in their gadget bags. A great lens and great photos! Well done! Cheers, Bill P.
Bill, I had both the 1.4 and 1.8 which I sold last spring, I was abrely using that focal lenght - now with the D3 soon to be in my hands I am starting to get more "normal" full frame lenses, the 1.2 was always the sharpest of the bunch. But the 1.4 is hard to beat for bokeh and the 1.8 for sharpness/quality price point is simply amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Great pics!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackinlay@earthlink View Post
Depends where you get it, B&H might have the best prices, on Amazon.com I saw it today at $589.99 and at thecamerastore.com it is selling for $499, which is closer to the true price - me a true WIS - I bought mine used (LNIB) for $400 locally
Old 30 November 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:

Bill, the tiny viewfinder in the D70 makes manual focus nearly impossible. You can install some aftermarket focus screens - doing so is a hack of sorts, but MF lenses aren't a great option on the D70. I know, I own one.

Canon has a 50/1.2 that is autofocus. It's very expensive and very big...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...n50f12lens.asp

I have fast glass, but I rarely shoot it wide open. It's rare that such shallow DOF is useful. As far as fast glass permitting low-light shooting... consider this:

With IS (image stabilization) you can handhold down to 1/4 of a second. I do this regularly on my 5D with my Canon 24-105 L lens wide open at f4. The equivalent exposure with an f/1.4 lens would require 1/30 of a second shutter speed. For a 50mm lens, such a slow shutter speed would not be sufficient to ensure a steady handheld shot.

Provided you can keep the camera steady, fast glass can capture moving subjects in lower light, but again you'd be contending with very shallow DOF.

I personally find shooting slightly slower glass with IS far more useful.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2007, 12:57 PM   #7
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Dude, the D3 should be outstanding! I have had my D300/grip for only a couple of days now and love it. I also have a D2Xs and a D200/grip. I have a good collection of Nikkors and just hate the thought of having to get new lenses. Yes, the 50/1.8 at around $100 is the best lens bargain around....fast and sharp. My favorite lens is my 70-200/2.8 VR... the bokeh at 2.8 is outstanding! My second favorite lens is my 17-55/2.8. I do like fast glass, but also have some "slow" glass as well. However, fast or slow, I have all Nikkors. Your manual focus 50/1.2 lens is an outstanding lens, but my old eyes don't do manual foucus well anymore. Eager to hear how you like your D3. Happy Shooting! Bill P.
Old 30 November 2007, 02:22 PM   #8
The Dude

Dude who are you? Confusing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Bill, the tiny viewfinder in the D70 makes manual focus nearly impossible. You can install some aftermarket focus screens - doing so is a hack of sorts, but MF lenses aren't a great option on the D70. I know, I own one.

Canon has a 50/1.2 that is autofocus. It's very expensive and very big...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...n50f12lens.asp

I have fast glass, but I rarely shoot it wide open. It's rare that such shallow DOF is useful. As far as fast glass permitting low-light shooting... consider this:

With IS (image stabilization) you can handhold down to 1/4 of a second. I do this regularly on my 5D with my Canon 24-105 L lens wide open at f4. The equivalent exposure with an f/1.4 lens would require 1/30 of a second shutter speed. For a 50mm lens, such a slow shutter speed would not be sufficient to ensure a steady handheld shot.

Provided you can keep the camera steady, fast glass can capture moving subjects in lower light, but again you'd be contending with very shallow DOF.

I personally find shooting slightly slower glass with IS far more useful.
Old 30 November 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
The Dude

70-200

The 70-200 is outstanding!

So is the 17-55

Quote:
Dude, the D3 should be outstanding! I have had my D300/grip for only a couple of days now and love it. I also have a D2Xs and a D200/grip. I have a good collection of Nikkors and just hate the thought of having to get new lenses. Yes, the 50/1.8 at around $100 is the best lens bargain around....fast and sharp. My favorite lens is my 70-200/2.8 VR... the bokeh at 2.8 is outstanding! My second favorite lens is my 17-55/2.8. I do like fast glass, but also have some "slow" glass as well. However, fast or slow, I have all Nikkors. Your manual focus 50/1.2 lens is an outstanding lens, but my old eyes don't do manual foucus well anymore. Eager to hear how you like your D3. Happy Shooting! Bill P.
Old 30 November 2007, 02:27 PM   #10
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Bill, I had both the 1.4 and 1.8 which I sold last spring, I was abrely using that focal lenght - now with the D3 soon to be in my hands I am starting to get more "normal" full frame lenses, the 1.2 was always the sharpest of the bunch. But the 1.4 is hard to beat for bokeh and the 1.8 for sharpness/quality price point is simply amazing.
Yes, the D3 will bring balance again. I would love to get one, but I can't justify the $5k price tag with the little shooting that I do. Yet, I'm still thinking of buying a D300 and selling my D200. I have problems.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR is my favorite lens as well, followed by the 105mm f/2.8 VR, 28-70mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4 and the 12-24mm f/4.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 01:10 AM   #11
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Quote:
Be aware that Nikon manual focus lenses will not meter with your D70. Not a problem if you use a hand held meter. You have to step up to at least the D200 to get metering and then you are limited to spot or center weighted metering (Personally, I prefer those settings myself unless I'm fast snapshooting). I believe the D300 is the same way but you still have that 1.5 crop which annoys me because you get the framing of a different lens without the perspective change inherent in that focal length design. The D3 will allow matrix metering. I still prefer the F2 and the F6 for manual lenses because of the viewfinders and camera size/balance and I enjoy shooting and scanning film.

All the Nikkor 50mm are nice smooth lenses. Optically, my 50mm 1.4 af-d seems to produce as good or better pictures than my old manual one or my af 50mm 1.8, which I recently gave away. That 1.8 is probably the best bargain out there. My favorite normal lens is a 25 year old Leica 50mm which I use when I shoot b&w. Here are a couple of snaps with the Leica.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEI2BW010s.jpg (94.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg LEI2BW013.jpg (101.5 KB, 140 views)
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 03:03 AM   #12
Mike734
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I have one of those 50mm 1.2 Nikor lenses if anyone wants to buy it. It was my wifes first lens also. I also have an Fm2n body to go with it. Both is very nice condition. Anyone know what they are worth?
Mike734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2007, 03:34 AM   #13
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Dude who are you? Confusing...
Yes, confusing indeed. :)

I started shooting Nikon many years ago, but moved to the Canon EOS-5D a year ago. Wouldn't turn back if you paid me. Still have my Nikon stuff tho.

You'll enjoy FF more than you know. The tonality of the larger imagers is really something.
Old 1 December 2007, 03:47 AM   #14
TheDude
"TRF" Member

While great glass is nice to have, I think a lot of people put too much stock in it. Here are some fairly decent shots taken with humble lenses.

D70 + 18-70DX

90/4 Minolta CLE ($300 used M mount lens) - Ilford HP5+ film pushed to ISO800

Leica M8 + Cosina/Voigtlander 40/1.4 S.C.

With that said, I think my next lens is the yet-to-be-released Canon 200mm f/2 IS USM. It's going to be a really stellar lens.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...f2_800f56.html
Old 1 December 2007, 01:41 PM   #15
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Dude, those shots taken with your 70-200/2.8 are very nice. That is one fine lens! And yes, I will agree with you, the 18-70 DX "kit lens" is a fine lens as well....esp. for the money. I really am pleased with my Nikon cameras and my Nikkor lenses. Happy shooting! Bill P.
Old 1 December 2007, 03:25 PM   #16
The Dude

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
While great glass is nice to have, I think a lot of people put too much stock in it. Here are some fairly decent shots taken with humble lenses.

D70 + 18-70DX
I agree, some of the best pics I captured where taken with a D70s + 18-20DX kit lens, which I sold.

The equipment has really very little to do with the quality of the images - the person pressing the shutter release buton does.

But you gotta admit there is something special about a 50/1.2 @ 1.2

Old 1 December 2007, 09:29 PM   #17
gaopa
"TRF" Member

"The equipment has really very little to do with the quality of the images - the person pressing the shutter release buton does."

I would agree, Dude, but as your images demonstrate, nice "glass" is important! ;~)

Eager for you to get your D3 and give us a report. My D300 is proving to be a fine photo taking machine! Cheers, Bill P.
Old 2 December 2007, 02:08 AM   #18
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And yes, I will agree with you, the 18-70 DX "kit lens" is a fine lens as well....esp. for the money.
I came to a similar conclusion when I was shooting my D70. I had a full complement of lenses (still do), but shot perhaps 95%+ of my keepers with the medium zoom. I think I just "see" in that focal range. For that reason when I moved to Canon, I purchased only one lens and have shot with it for more than a year.

A sample of the work I have done in the past year with the 24-105 L on the 5D.

Self portrait, ISO 800

My late great-uncle... a WWII veteran. ISO 800

Old 2 December 2007, 03:25 AM   #19
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Dude, those are beautiful photos! I had gotten the idea that you were a Nikonian? Do you have a D3 on order? Nonetheless, the images you are getting with your 24-105 L on your 5 D are just outstanding. Cheers, Bill P.
Old 2 December 2007, 04:53 AM   #20
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Amazing pics thanks for sharing
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2007, 01:01 AM   #21
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dude, those are beautiful photos! I had gotten the idea that you were a Nikonian? Do you have a D3 on order? Nonetheless, the images you are getting with your 24-105 L on your 5 D are just outstanding. Cheers, Bill P.
Thanks for the kind words.

I own both systems but I started out as a Nikonian. Purchased the 5D last year in October along with the lens and the 580EX. Couldn't bring myself to part with any of the Nikon stuff, so I still own it. :)

The D3 is a great piece of technology, but since I have the 5D I'm not in a hurry to spend another $5K. Had it been introduced a year ago, I might be in a different position - however, I'm very happy with my Canon.

EDIT - I realized there may be some confusion here... The OP is a member named "The Dude". I am "TheDude" (no space between the and dude). We are different people. The OP owns the 50/1.2 AIS and has the D3 on order. I do not. ;)
Old 3 December 2007, 09:32 AM   #22
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Ah, thanks for the clarification... No question about it, Canon makes some fine cameras/lenses. I am just a Nikonian to the bone....sort of like owning a Rolex! ;~) Cheers, Bill P.
Old 4 December 2007, 02:55 AM   #23
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I'd love to have a lens like that!
Just awesome shots, as always.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2007, 06:23 AM   #24
nyc toytimer

Watch: Tudor Mini Subs
i'v been to greece a few times are those photos of "the islands"
no matter where they are from they're great hope you post more
nyc toytimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2007, 06:33 AM   #25
Julian,Sea Dweller

Watch: TOG/SD/SUB/LANGE 1
I have a similar lens from Canon , the 55 1.2 aspherical its about 25yrs old and also the
85mm 1.2L lens.

I use them with a Canon F1 & A1
Julian,Sea Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote