The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 2 March 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
The Dude

March 1st Concert - Did not go as I thought...

Let's just say it did not go as planned but not bad considering... I had to work with the 18-200 as opposed to the 85/1.4...

Not my best work... I was going in to shoot with the 85mm exclusively but... But it was such a small venue I had to use my back up zoom lens,the 18-200VR not the ideal lens for this type of shooting however it had to do, I needed a widder angle lens ... What do you think? I have a few more pictures to work on... My kind of music as well. Meli, the lead singer, asked me a few weeks back to come and take pictures of their concert since they lost their photographer, she was surprised I showed up. (any excuse to take pictures of a band, I am there )

Not ideal conditions, had to use a flash and did not want to but with this lens... What could I do? It was so crowded, with reason as the band is really good. Anywho here are some samples of the pictures taken tonight at the concertin a small, very small pub in Montréal...

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I don't think you need worry about the results Patrick, I think the band will be pleased with the pictures.

I wouldn't mind taking a few pictures of Meli myself.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Langnam
"TRF" Member

Dude!!! How is it that you always get hooked up with beautiful women??!
Langnam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 11:19 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Looks fine to me Patrick you have shown Meli finer points and attributions and nice belt chain, she could pull mine anytime.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2007, 02:30 AM   #5
The Dude

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
Dude!!! How is it that you always get hooked up with beautiful women??!
If I knew... I'd write a book about "my secret" and make millions outta dat! My charmingly good looks, great sense of humour and I do have a rather BIG camera
Old 3 March 2007, 03:01 AM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
If I knew... I'd write a book about "my secret" and make millions outta dat! My charmingly good looks, great sense of humour and I do have a rather BIG camera
I've got all of that and it doesn't happen to me. Perhaps my ISO is too fast.

Member #10
Old 3 March 2007, 03:31 AM   #7
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
I've got all of that and it doesn't happen to me. Perhaps my ISO is too fast.
Let them come to you
Old 3 March 2007, 03:35 AM   #8
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Looks fine to me Patrick you have shown Meli finer points and attributions and nice belt chain, she could pull mine anytime.
Thanks I try

I really try to raise the bar a little higher each time I shoot pictures

Old 3 March 2007, 03:54 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
I Say Patrick great pictures again and that Meli sure has a fine pair of lungs..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2007, 01:58 PM   #10
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Partick,
Another grat set of shots... what is the band called by the way? Since they need a photgrapher does Meli need a personal masseur for the road as well?

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2007, 02:08 PM   #11
ezmoney46

Watch: several
I think we all agree about raising the "BAR"
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2007, 03:46 PM   #12
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Some of the pics have a lot of noise in the background, what bpodi did you use? And what wwere the settings for the image? Are these RAW or JPG originally? Thanks for the 18-200 pics, that lens looks nice after all and I may get it for my time here in Tajikistan.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 12:27 AM   #13
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
I think the pictures came out pretty well. Just run them through noise ninja and you'll be fine. Were you using ISO800?

I've been debating on buying the 85mm f/1.4, but I'm not sure if I would get much use out of it. In the past, I've used the 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 for concert shots. No experience with the 18-200.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 04:31 AM   #14
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Some of the pics have a lot of noise in the background, what bpodi did you use? And what wwere the settings for the image? Are these RAW or JPG originally? Thanks for the 18-200 pics, that lens looks nice after all and I may get it for my time here in Tajikistan.
I used a Nikon D2Hs, most of these are ISO 1000, some as high as ISO 1600 and as low as ISO 200. The 18-200 is a very versatile lens and worth getting when you want to travel light plus combined with a body which does great at high ISO you can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
I think the pictures came out pretty well. Just run them through noise ninja and you'll be fine. Were you using ISO800?

I've been debating on buying the 85mm f/1.4, but I'm not sure if I would get much use out of it. In the past, I've used the 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 for concert shots. No experience with the 18-200.
I had a range of ISO settings from as low as 200 to as high as 1600 for some shots. In order to capture the mood and keep the pictures as close to what my eyes were seeing I wanted to minimize the flash usage hence I was going in with a 85/1.4 and ended up using the 18-200 as this was the only other lens I had with me. I am actually going to the 28-70 f/2.8 called the beast cause it is so big to cover concerts than the 70-200. I had a 50/1.4 and preferred the images out of the 50/1.8, sharper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt View Post
Partick,
Another grat set of shots... what is the band called by the way? Since they need a photgrapher does Meli need a personal masseur for the road as well?

No she doesn't it a masseur for the road... They are called counterclock their website is www.counterclock.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I Say Patrick great pictures again and that Meli sure has a fine pair of lungs..
She sure does and she can sing as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmoney46 View Post
I think we all agree about raising the "BAR"
Ha ha ha ha we do
Old 4 March 2007, 05:31 AM   #15
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I used the have the 85/1.4 and loved it. I did a lot of weddings with that and it was my favorite lens. You can do 20x30 with it on a D100!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 05:36 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Patrick,

Your human pictures bring out the personality from the individuals.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 06:30 AM   #17
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Quote:

I had a range of ISO settings from as low as 200 to as high as 1600 for some shots. In order to capture the mood and keep the pictures as close to what my eyes were seeing I wanted to minimize the flash usage hence I was going in with a 85/1.4 and ended up using the 18-200 as this was the only other lens I had with me. I am actually going to the 28-70 f/2.8 called the beast cause it is so big to cover concerts than the 70-200. I had a 50/1.4 and preferred the images out of the 50/1.8, sharper.
Did you take any shots with the 85mm f/1.4 at all?

I've used the 17-55mm f/2.8 for some concert shots, which has a similar range to my 28-70mm f/2.8 but I would still choose the 70-200mm VR over both of them. You know what the VR is capable of so it's even better when you have a constant f/2.8 through the range. Very important when you're zooming in from a body shot to a head shot.

I preferred the 50mm f/1.4 over the f/1.8 since if I have a fast prime, I rarely shoot above f/4 and my 1.4 is sharper within that range.

I've got some concert shots in my photo gallery if you want to take a look. No flash on 99.9% percent of them.

http://vudoimages.smugmug.com/
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 06:32 AM   #18
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Quote:
Do you have a large Canon?
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 06:40 AM   #19
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Do you have a large Canon?
I found that wimmin are more responsive to Nikon cameras :-)
Old 4 March 2007, 06:44 AM   #20
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
Did you take any shots with the 85mm f/1.4 at all?

I've used the 17-55mm f/2.8 for some concert shots, which has a similar range to my 28-70mm f/2.8 but I would still choose the 70-200mm VR over both of them. You know what the VR is capable of so it's even better when you have a constant f/2.8 through the range. Very important when you're zooming in from a body shot to a head shot.

I preferred the 50mm f/1.4 over the f/1.8 since if I have a fast prime, I rarely shoot above f/4 and my 1.4 is sharper within that range.

I've got some concert shots in my photo gallery if you want to take a look. No flash on 99.9% percent of them.

http://vudoimages.smugmug.com/
I was way too close to the stage to use the 85mm, I took 8 shots with it, one was of the drummer. I am usually really really close to that action since I get invited by the bands to take the pics, often times I found a fixed lens can be a hindrance for me, the 70-200 would work wonders but I'll get it after I get the 28-70, too close to the action to be anygood to me for concerts.
Old 4 March 2007, 07:59 AM   #21
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

I see that they are playing at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on March 7... if I can get out of work then I'll check them out for sure.
Anyone else wanna join me?

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2007, 12:10 PM   #22
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt View Post
I see that they are playing at the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on March 7... if I can get out of work then I'll check them out for sure.
Anyone else wanna join me?
I'd love to but it's an awful long way to go.

Member #10