The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2017, 11:30 PM   #1
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Insuring your watch

OK TRFers I was talking to my fiance and some friends over the weekend and we were speaking about insurance for my watch and also her ring. I said I have to look at my homeowners policy to see whats covered and also if I would need additional coverage. I called my homeowners and they said they have a separate policy for Jewelry/Watches thats not part of the homeowners. Its separate so if making a claim it doesn't appear on the homeowners or pay that deductible. I just called and basically the coverage I got an estimate for which I needed appraisals or sales receipt for both the watch 116710LN and her ring she said was $416 a year with 0 deductible. Covers lost/theft/damage(with repairs at jeweler of my choice). I need an appraisal for my watch because I bought it from DavidSW so I do not have my sales receipt of normal price of the watch. So for my coverage estimate she gave me $26000 for coverage as of now.
Before I get appriasal on the watch should I get coverage on the watch for the new replacement cost $8500?
Is this a good price?
Who do you use?
liboozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 11:36 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have my watches and my wife's jewelry on our homeowners insurance.

Prices are based on many things, very tough to compare.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
I will be using jewelers mutual. It's expensive even with a deductible of $250 but that depends on the total price/amount you are insuring.The beauty of using a private company is if in any event there was a loss or claim it would not count against your home insurance policy. It really is a personal choice. A big safe at home (where burglars cannot easily lift it) may be the inexpensive alternative but that won't cover for losses when you are wearing the watch out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 11:50 PM   #4
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbogigolo View Post
I will be using jewelers mutual. It's expensive even with a deductible of $250 but that depends on the total price/amount you are insuring.The beauty of using a private company is if in any event there was a loss or claim it would not count against your home insurance policy. It really is a personal choice. A big safe at home (where burglars cannot easily lift it) may be the inexpensive alternative but that won't cover for losses when you are wearing the watch out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats kind of what I was thinking myself. Also for my policy 0 deductible is $416 a year. If I change it to the highest deductible which is $1000 for each item then it changes yearly premium to $342. So the $74 difference a year in my eyes isnt worth it for $1000 deductible in case I make a claim.
Old 22 August 2017, 11:50 PM   #5
bjr011
"TRF" Member

Jewelers Mutual is great and very reasonable.
bjr011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 11:53 PM   #6
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by liboozers View Post
I need an appraisal for my watch because I bought it from DavidSW so I do not have my sales receipt of normal price of the watch.
He provided, on request, a full-value appraisal on letterhead. My homeowner's insurance accepted that document without question when issuing the rider.
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 12:05 AM   #7
liboozers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair66 View Post
He provided, on request, a full-value appraisal on letterhead. My homeowner's insurance accepted that document without question when issuing the rider.
Even better maybe I will call/email DavidSW and ask him to provide me with one so I have it and not have to worry about paying for one.

I was planning on having the appraisal and my PCL turned into BCL at LAWatchworks at the same time. SO I had a reason to be without the watch lol. There goes that idea.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:12 AM   #8
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

State Farm just quoted me $574/year for $35,000 Jewlery coverage, and $11,000 Gun coverage, no deductible. That sounded very reasonable to me.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:33 AM   #9
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Although not comparable as in the uk but again I add 'special' items to my home insurance policy, £35,000 of watches and rings and all for the princely sum of......... £6.74 a month! Couldn't pay quick enough. For the record the £6.74 is JUST covering the watches and jewellery as an add on.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:34 AM   #10
coolaking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
Although not comparable as in the uk but again I add 'special' items to my home insurance policy, £35,000 of watches and rings and all for the princely sum of......... £6.74 a month! Couldn't pay quick enough. For the record the £6.74 is JUST covering the watches and jewellery as an add on.
Who with?
coolaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:40 AM   #11
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I will tell you as an insurance professional a separate personal articles is the best way to go. if you use your homeowners policy there are always limits that they will pay and it does affect your claims history. I get a discount on my homeowners policy for being claims free of $1155.00 per year. If I filed a claim on my watch I would have a huge deductible, a set maximum they would pay and it would cost me that $1155.00 for 3 years ($3465.00) b/c I would be claim free any longer. For $416.00 a year and have $0 deduct. that's a pretty good deal. I have $60k in scheduled jewelry and artwork for $604.00 year.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:45 AM   #12
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnmEaton View Post
I will tell you as an insurance professional a separate personal articles is the best way to go. if you use your homeowners policy there are always limits that they will pay and it does affect your claims history. I get a discount on my homeowners policy for being claims free of $1155.00 per year. If I filed a claim on my watch I would have a huge deductible, a set maximum they would pay and it would cost me that $1155.00 for 3 years ($3465.00) b/c I would be claim free any longer. For $416.00 a year and have $0 deduct. that's a pretty good deal. I have $60k in scheduled jewelry and artwork for $604.00 year.

Boom! Authoritative information - great!

For what it's worth I have my DJ41 insured for 7,350 (retail price) with JM for ~$85 annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:54 AM   #13
BillH2121
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I just insured watches and a ring last week with State Farm. As stated above, the personal articles rider is the way to go - my cost for $25,000 coverage, no deducible, was approx. $350 per year. Also as stated above, there are several considerations that enter into the determination of cost for the rider - whether you store items in a safe, how many hours per day the house is uninhabited, how close to a fire station, etc.
BillH2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 04:17 AM   #14
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Another factor affecting my home insurance and my separate policy on valuables is that I have a monitored alarm system. I think my valuables policy costs about 1.5% per year on the insured value. I also have the items insured at "new" replacement cost.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 04:30 AM   #15
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
i can guarantee that the points listed above are true and accurate. the SF homeowners policy HAS limits to what it will pay $1500/$2500 or $2500/$5000 and up to $10,000 for silver and gold. In Mississippi, may vary a bit by state.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:15 PM   #16
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
I have travelers and have the separate jewelry policy so it's separate from my home insurance. I have 25k in coverage for jewelry and my watch and it's about 240 a year.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote