The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 August 2017, 09:56 AM   #1
T4ME
"TRF" Member

Why does this keep happening?

With all the valuable information and trusted sellers on this forum and other renowned online sellers, why do some people persist in making questionable purchases and then come onto the forum and ask about authenticity issues. Is this the new definition of insanity?
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:38 AM   #2
EagleBear
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Couldn't agree more
This is an amazing community full of knowledge that seems to come directly from the Watch Gods! and an inventory that is really almost impossible to not find what ones looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EagleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:51 AM   #3
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Agreed. It took me about 3 days on here to figure out who to buy from if I wanted a good price and no problems.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I find more and more people have this weird method when shopping for things.

1. Find deal on item
2. Ask someone knowledgeable their opinion
3. Completely ignore opinion
4. Make Purchase.
5. Show person they asked, and expect them to be surprised.

I don't get it. It's like they ask you, buy have already made their decision. Or, if the answer isn't what they want to hear they go ahead with it anyway.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 12:30 PM   #5
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
It's a combo of numerous things. Personally for me if I wanted a watch I know the the trusted sellers to use.

Not everyone had been members on here to understand that and want expert knowledge.

I have not purchased anything questionable but parts are sometimes hard to find. I do ask even though I already probably know the answer. It just helps remove the 1% of doubt thinking it's legit. It also shows me to be patient and just wait for a trusted source to get something.

On doing the actual purchase not sure why people don't ask first instead of too late. It has to be the great feeling you found what you wanted and at a good price and just being impatient / wanted it yesterday.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 12:54 PM   #6
TimeToTell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234,118238 & 9
If everyone planning on purchasing a their first Rolex spent time browsing this forum for an hour or two per evening over the course of a week, they would have acquired enough information and learned how to avoid the questionable and patronize the reputable.

A purchase costing thousands of dollars should be made with some prior research and a certain level of knowledge. There doesn't seem to be a more impartial and informative source for rolex than this forum.

It has worked for me and I couldn't be happier with my purchases through TRF. I feel a bit bad for someone who was unaware of this forum prior to making their first Rolex purchase. Once aware, I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't pay attention to the great advice given by the many members.
TimeToTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 01:24 PM   #7
pborkstrom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToTell View Post
If everyone planning on purchasing a their first Rolex spent time browsing this forum for an hour or two per evening over the course of a week, they would have acquired enough information and learned how to avoid the questionable and patronize the reputable.

A purchase costing thousands of dollars should be made with some prior research and a certain level of knowledge. There doesn't seem to be a more impartial and informative source for rolex than this forum.

It has worked for me and I couldn't be happier with my purchases through TRF. I feel a bit bad for someone who was unaware of this forum prior to making their first Rolex purchase. Once aware, I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't pay attention to the great advice given by the many members.

OK, I'll bite..

This describes me. I've been researching my 1st Rolex for about 3 months and I finally have it narrowed down to 1 of 3 references (114234, 116234, and maybe 116264 - all blue and the DJs stick markers).

I just haven't figured out how to proceed with confidence. I've noticed some guys do flipping or buy/sell so often that they're gained a bunch of references. My concern is knowing the history or authenticity of the watches. Without papers, how can the flippers/resellers know what they have? Even with the posts that have papers, I rarely ever see a watch being sold by the guy that 1st purchased it from the AD.

I've asked advice and insight on the the references above, and the help has been excellent and I've learned quite a bit.

How the heck does one pull the trigger on the first Rolex?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pborkstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
People who get ripped off are those who don't do their research and look for the absolutely too good to be true price. It happens over and over again and it's a human weakness that con-artists play into time-and-time again. And as long as that continues to reside in some the ripoff stories will continue to roll in.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 03:00 PM   #9
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
People who get ripped off are those who don't do their research and look for the absolutely too good to be true price. It happens over and over again and it's a human weakness that con-artists play into time-and-time again. And as long as that continues to reside in some the ripoff stories will continue to roll in.

This x 1000.
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 09:34 PM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post
With all the valuable information and trusted sellers on this forum and other renowned online sellers, why do some people persist in making questionable purchases and then come onto the forum and ask about authenticity issues. Is this the new definition of insanity?
Because for some it is all about the "deal".
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:56 PM   #11
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Because for some it is all about the "deal".
Yep. They try to go the cheapest route and get burned. I've tried to sell two watches and it was a pain in the a$$ both times with the ridiculous offers. These are luxury items. It's a pay to play market. If you can't afford them or the maintenance, don't buy them.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:16 PM   #12
luvan12
"TRF" Member

Some people all they care about is the deal that they are getting. Thats it.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 01:11 AM   #13
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
It seems to me that one of the deficiencies this upcoming generation has is a hard time assessing someone's personality/character. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that they are unwilling/reluctant to speak directly to people. Texting/emailing has gone too far/has its limits. The last three watches I've sold were to people younger than myself (im 43). All three made it very difficult to speak to them in person, not one of them wanted to call me even after asking them multiple times. Speaking for myself, I'm able to assess someone's personality rather well over the phone within a short conversation. Not to say I couldnt be snowballed by an excellent con artist -LOL- just saying that nothing will EVER REPLACE either facetime and/or a simple phone call.

It's one of the first things I'm teaching my teenage children to understand completely, as it will give them a major edge in the future. Especially given the age of communication they will be in.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 01:42 AM   #14
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
It seems to me that one of the deficiencies this upcoming generation has is a hard time assessing someone's personality/character. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that they are unwilling/reluctant to speak directly to people. Texting/emailing has gone too far/has its limits. The last three watches I've sold were to people younger than myself (im 43). All three made it very difficult to speak to them in person, not one of them wanted to call me even after asking them multiple times. Speaking for myself, I'm able to assess someone's personality rather well over the phone within a short conversation. Not to say I couldnt be snowballed by an excellent con artist -LOL- just saying that nothing will EVER REPLACE either facetime and/or a simple phone call.

It's one of the first things I'm teaching my teenage children to understand completely, as it will give them a major edge in the future. Especially given the age of communication they will be in.
It's just a change in the new/upcoming generation. I hate to paint with broad brush strokes, but there is a significant increase in people lacking social skills. I see so many teenagers hanging out and every one of them is on the phone. Some are texting each other that are standing beside them. I don't get it, but I'm "the" old fart that yells at them to get off my lawn.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 02:36 AM   #15
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
It's just a change in the new/upcoming generation. I hate to paint with broad brush strokes, but there is a significant increase in people lacking social skills. I see so many teenagers hanging out and every one of them is on the phone. Some are texting each other that are standing beside them. I don't get it, but I'm "the" old fart that yells at them to get off my lawn.

LOL...exactly. Every generation for sure has its shortcomings...but this lack of desire to meet Face to Face or speak in person is a big one IMO. Building confidence in relationships is crucial if you like to succeed and/or want to have relationships.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 02:41 AM   #16
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvan12 View Post
Some people all they care about is the deal that they are getting. Thats it.
I'd rather pay MSRP than get a "deal" on a fake Rolex. I just don't know enough to be able to spot a good fake so I'll stick to buying new watches from authorized dealers.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 02:44 AM   #17
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
LOL...exactly. Every generation for sure has its shortcomings...but this lack of desire to meet Face to Face or speak in person is a big one IMO. Building confidence in relationships is crucial if you like to succeed and/or want to have relationships.
I brought my son with me when I bought my Rolex. He is pretty confident dealing with people, looks them in the eye, gives a good firm handshake, knows how to laugh at a joke. I've been teaching him the value of these interactions since he was 5, he's 15 now and he is developing into a fine young man. If I teach him nothing else in life, at least I taught him that.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote