The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Another US Navy warship in a collision

This time, USS John S. McCain and a tanker; happened in the Malacca Strait at 0520 hours (local) today. The real bad news is that there are ten servicemen missing on McCain. Thoughts and prayers for their safe recovery.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:25 PM   #2
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Troubling news to be sure.

This isn't really a good time to be losing ships in the Pacific.

A Navy guided-missile destroyer, the USS John S. McCain, collided with a commercial vessel east of Singapore early Monday morning local time, the Navy said.

There were 10 sailors missing and five injured, the Navy said. "Four of the injured were medically evacuated by a Republic of Singapore Navy Puma helicopter to a hospital in Singapore for non-life threatening injuries," the Navy said in a statement. "The fifth injured Sailor does not require further medical attention."

The collision with the merchant ship Alnic MC occurred east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, as the McCain was on its way for a routine port visit in Singapore, the Navy said.

"Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft," the Navy said, adding that a search and rescue mission was already underway.

The ship is currently sailing under its own power and heading to port, according to a Navy statement.

The search and rescue effort was being aided by tug boats out of Singapore, as well as the Singapore Navy ship RSS Gallant, Singapore navy helicopters and a Police Coast Guard vessel.

Photo caption:

The USS John S. McCain after it collided with a commercial vessel east of Singapore on Aug. 20, 2017.
Read more:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/uss-john-mc...ry?id=49327836
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uss-mccain.jpg (110.6 KB, 311 views)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:37 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
What in the world...

Hope our boys turn up safe.
Old 21 August 2017, 02:42 PM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
What the &$@ is going on?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

I got the call for this earlier this morning but there's not much I can do with my knee in the mess it's in and me on crutches. I could have found out exactly what happened.

What I find mildly troubling here is that I was told the collision happened OPL east of Singapore yet local news is reporting that it happened in the Malacca Strait, which is to the west (busy strip of water between west coast of Malaysia and Sumatra).

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 21 August 2017, 07:40 PM   #6
BravoOne
Banned

Zero excuse for any ship to come within a mile of this destroyer without the crew knowing about it beforehand. Simply amazing.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 08:21 PM   #7
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
Zero excuse for any ship to come within a mile of this destroyer without the crew knowing about it beforehand. Simply amazing.
My thoughts exactly. How can no one be paying attention on the bridge ?
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
My thoughts exactly. How can no one be paying attention on the bridge ?
They're paying attention, just not reacting to the information correctly. This is the third collision in a year. Makes you wonder if these crews could get it done if called into action.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 08:34 PM   #9
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Another US Navy warship in a collision

I can't believe in this day and age with technology as it is that something like this is possible. Thoughts and prayers to the families of those lost and injured. Thanks to all who serve to keep our country free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 August 2017, 08:34 PM   #10
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
They're paying attention, just not reacting to the information correctly. This is the third collision in a year. Makes you wonder if these crews could get it done if called into action.
My question exactly. I admit, the straits of Mallaca are like a freeway at rush hour, LOTS of ships, boats, tankers, but this is the US Navy for Pete's sake, not some guys out on a pleasure cruise. We can't avoid hitting another ship!?!? Something is not right. I was Mini-Boss on an LHA my final deployment, LHA 5 to be specific, USS Pellilu, and I stood bridge watch navigating through that very strait. I do not claim to have much knowledge about transiting sea-ways, i was an aviator after all and not a black-shoe (surface warfare officer) but we managed to get an 800 foot carrier through without hitting anything!!!!! What happens if there's a call to GQ?
Old 21 August 2017, 08:35 PM   #11
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlover914 View Post
I can't believe in this day and age with technology as it is that something like this is possible. Thoughts and prayers to the families of those lost and injured. Thanks to all who serve to keep out country free.

Well said Alex, well said on all points.
Old 21 August 2017, 08:43 PM   #12
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
This is just so hard to comprehend, how can this have occurred once again?
Prayers to the missing and injured.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 09:08 PM   #13
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Pretty much what everyone above said. But 10 missing, it raises questions.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 09:47 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
External interference possibly? Surely these ships' computer and comms systems are too self-contained to be hacked?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:06 PM   #15
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
External interference possibly? Surely these ships' computer and comms systems are too self-contained to be hacked?
They're designed not to be hacked. Electronic warfare and countermeasures are built into every USN ship, and have been since radar was invented.

If someone can hack a guided missile cruiser, it's time to go sit in your bunker, because that capability could have dire consequences in the special weapons systems.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:08 PM   #16
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
According to Duck it's the best navy in the world!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:29 PM   #17
KarlS
Banned

4 in the past year and 6 in last 13 years!!! Something wrong for sure!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:39 PM   #18
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

I see this sort of thing happen with monotonous regularity; investigating collisions between ships (amongst other casualties and incidents) is what I do for a living. I'm also a Master Mariner and an ex-ship's captain.

It's easy for the layman to sit back and say 'how can this happen in this day and age'? Abdullah is close when he says that they are paying attention but not processing the information correctly.

The bridges of ships these days are becoming more and more hi-tech. The amount of alarms I hear when listening to the playback of a ship's VDR (voyage data recorder) is enough to make my ears bleed. That doesn't help. Sometimes the watchkeeper doesn't know which way to turn.

Another thing that is becoming increasingly apparent is that senior ships officers (I'm talking merchant here; I can't comment on the military) are getting younger. In other words, they're getting promoted much quicker than when I was at sea. This translates to spending less time in junior ranks so they're not getting the prerequisite supervision for navigating big ships through busy waterways such as the Malacca Strait.

These younger guys are also lacking in the practical application of the collision regulations. Sure, they take action to avoid ships but they're not always aware of they either got it right, got lucky or a combination of both because they don't receive the same sort of peer guidance these days.

Ships crews are getting smaller i.e. there's less of them on board a ship of a given size than there was ten years ago.

Another issue I see is a bridge team comprising multi-nationalities, some of whom are from developing countries where the standard of training isn't as good as it could be. Training is more frequent, more regulated and is supposed to be standardised. But does it actually work?

Some of these guys are spending up to a year on a ship and are getting a bit 'punch drunk'. They know how they should react to a given situation but for reasons unknown, they just don't.

There's not a single answer as to why these things happen. It's always a sequence of events and, in the overwhelming majority of cases, it boils down to human error.

I'm not going to speculate on what happened in the subject incident; to do so on the basis of media information would be foolish. As I said above, I got the call for this one but couldn't proceed because of my knee. Not that it matters because I wouldn't have been able to discuss it anyway but I doubt that the facts will become public knowledge for a while yet.

Old 21 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #19
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I just don't get it. What if that commercial vessel was a suicide ship wouldn't the USS not have realised it? sounds mind
boggling!!

My thoughts are with the missing sailors and their families.

F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:45 PM   #20
cop414

Watch: 14060M
Thanks for the information Paul, very interesting.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 10:46 PM   #21
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
My question exactly. I admit, the straits of Mallaca are like a freeway at rush hour, LOTS of ships, boats, tankers, but this is the US Navy for Pete's sake, not some guys out on a pleasure cruise. We can't avoid hitting another ship!?!? Something is not right. I was Mini-Boss on an LHA my final deployment, LHA 5 to be specific, USS Pellilu, and I stood bridge watch navigating through that very strait. I do not claim to have much knowledge about transiting sea-ways, i was an aviator after all and not a black-shoe (surface warfare officer) but we managed to get an 800 foot carrier through without hitting anything!!!!! What happens if there's a call to GQ?
Paul: your comment about standing a bridge watch but not being experienced in transiting such sea ways and that you were an aviator (and not a navigator) scares the crap out of me. As far as merchant ships go, one is required to hold a certificate of competency to stand a navigation bridge watch, so how could that even happen? Are you saying that someone else was actually navigating and that you were 'simply' the highest ranking officer on the bridge, which would make some sense.

Old 21 August 2017, 11:47 PM   #22
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Agreed. This is entirely on the crew of the warship. This could have been avoided.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:18 AM   #23
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
My thoughts and prayers are with the missing sailors. These things usually don't end well.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:36 AM   #24
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Disturbing..
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 01:37 AM   #25
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Paul: your comment about standing a bridge watch but not being experienced in transiting such sea ways and that you were an aviator (and not a navigator) scares the crap out of me. As far as merchant ships go, one is required to hold a certificate of competency to stand a navigation bridge watch, so how could that even happen? Are you saying that someone else was actually navigating and that you were 'simply' the highest ranking officer on the bridge, which would make some sense.
Oh hell yes! I was (as I remember terms) JOOD, Junior Officer Of the Deck. The OOD, Officer of the Deck was in complete command. He made all the decisions and passed the maneuvering orders to me (right 10 degrees rudder steady on course 270) which I passed on verbally to the helmsman. He was certified and experienced, much like I was qualified and certified to operate the control tower on the carrier. Still, if he died of a heart attack and I was suddenly in command the amount of capability and experience dropped substantially. I would have been screaming over he 1MC for the Captain or another qualified Surface Officer to get to the bridge.
Old 22 August 2017, 01:40 AM   #26
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Could not have said it better.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 02:34 AM   #27
ReMember
"TRF" Member

Kind, gentle, and politically-correct Navy.
ReMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 09:41 AM   #28
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

Good to know. I was on two LHD's. USS Essex (LHD-2) and USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) between 2003-2006. I was TACRON.

And yeah, how in the world this happens is just crazy.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:03 AM   #29
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Agreed. This is entirely on the crew of the warship. This could have been avoided.
As I've set out quite clearly above, you can't make this sort of statement without knowing all the facts. To do so is plain speculation.

What I will also say is that in my own experience of these sort of incidents, it is highly unlikely that this "...is entirely on the crew of the warship."

Quote:
Oh hell yes! I was (as I remember terms) JOOD, Junior Officer Of the Deck. The OOD, Officer of the Deck was in complete command. He made all the decisions and passed the maneuvering orders to me (right 10 degrees rudder steady on course 270) which I passed on verbally to the helmsman. He was certified and experienced, much like I was qualified and certified to operate the control tower on the carrier. Still, if he died of a heart attack and I was suddenly in command the amount of capability and experience dropped substantially. I would have been screaming over he 1MC for the Captain or another qualified Surface Officer to get to the bridge.
I had a feeling (hoped!) that this was the case. Thanks for clarifying, Paul

Old 22 August 2017, 10:17 AM   #30
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Almost all of these tanker and container ships are operated on GPS/autopilot until they are almost at their destination. Many have old systems too without collision avoidance or even proximity warnings. They're *supposed* to have upgraded but enforcement is lax. There is also supposed to be someone on the bridge and paying attention 24/7, but that doesn't always happen either.