The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2019, 02:17 AM   #1
baglady
"TRF" Member

Icon12 Help a lost lady

Hi everyone--just wanted to introduce myself as a noob on this forum, and as newly rich, I've acquired a dangerously expensive interest in buying a Patek.

I'm looking to make my first acquisition(s) by December/January/February. On my list are:

5164R (lol I know right?)
5205R

I'm curious if anyone had thoughts on the suitability of the 5205R for women? I'm not a huge fan of the "womens" watches in general, and the 5205 seems so classic.

I'm also wondering if anyone has advice for how to snag the 5164 from an AD. I travel quite extensively (and can go anywhere pretty much at a moment's notice for this). I'm also willing to purchase both as a package deal.

Even if no one as any advice, I'm glad to be part of this community and happy to say hello :-)
Old 29 August 2019, 02:29 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Just to say welcome and best of luck on your purchases. You can check with an AD but for a 5164 I would go grey market. I'll let a Brit tell you about reputable greys in your area.

FYI, you have good taste.
Old 29 August 2019, 03:06 AM   #3
baglady
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I was thinking to establish a relationship with the PP salons in Paris. I have a place down there and that's where I also keep my Hermes SA relationship (hence why I'm BAGLADY!).

So if there are reputable gray market dealers down there I'd also be all ears.

Grey market deals I've seen on this forum are actually not horrible for the 5164, so I'm open to it. I'm also patient. I want the watch, but can chill for a few years before I get my hands on it.
Old 29 August 2019, 03:13 AM   #4
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
Hi and welcome to the forum ,they are both great choices but if i was a newly minted lady
i would aim higher and take alook at the 7150/250R
Old 29 August 2019, 03:17 AM   #5
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum ,they are both great choices but if i was a newly minted lady
i would aim higher and take alook at the 7150/250R

This (bag)lady is one of the few who doesn't like diamonds
Old 29 August 2019, 04:54 AM   #6
baglady
"TRF" Member

Thanks. This lady is one of the few who abhors diamonds :-)
Old 29 August 2019, 05:05 AM   #7
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Newly rich? Maybe you should get an iced-out Richard Mille instead to unmistakably flaunt the nouveau status :-).

Kidding aside, I own the 5205R with opaline white dial, great watch with undeniable substance and gravitas, classic and elegant but with a modern and forward-looking touch. It's 40 x 11.4 mm which makes it somewhat large by traditional Patek standards, but it wears notably smaller than it is due to the wide and sloped bezel.

I would say that even on smaller wrists it wears comfortably, because the lugs curve downward, ensuring a curved fit, unlike some other Pateks which are more flat like a pancake even at a similar diameter/size. I would say try it on at an AD and see what you think, here's mine:

Old 29 August 2019, 07:15 AM   #8
dauster
"TRF" Member

I would choose a local AD/ salon - one you can frequent relatively often, buy the 5205R ASAP and hope to get the aquanaut allocated over the next years. I assume that you will need to buy a few more watches before you get the aquanaut but maybe you will get lucky. Not sure if it matters to you but usually cities like NYC, Paris and London are "more competitive" when it comes to the hot models. So if possible choose an AD elsewhere. actually would be curious to know if other forum user have had a similar experience.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:30 AM   #9
baglady
"TRF" Member

So I'm second down the waitlist for the 5205 at the Bond Street salon and I'm told I should expect the watch in December or January. Is there anything else I can or should do on this? I'm happy to go on more waitlists but that might hurt me I think.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:36 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

They have a waitlist for the 5205? Have you asked them how realistic it is that you will get the aquanaut any time soon? There must be tons of people that have spend upwards of a couple 100k there - probably more, given that it is London. No experience with Patek in London but I suggest maybe finding an AD with less billionaires around... Tough to compete I would say... best of luck.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:43 AM   #11
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
5205R black dial is my favorite current Patek. Just amazing.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:00 AM   #12
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
They have a waitlist for the 5205? Have you asked them how realistic it is that you will get the aquanaut any time soon? There must be tons of people that have spend upwards of a couple 100k there - probably more, given that it is London. No experience with Patek in London but I suggest maybe finding an AD with less billionaires around... Tough to compete I would say... best of luck.
I haven't bothered asking about the Aquanaut. Literally every AD in London has laughed me out the store and refused to add me to any list.

That's why I'm leaning toward Paris but that's probably just as bad.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:08 AM   #13
"TRF" Member

I believe Paris will be just as full in terms of their waitlist. If it was me and I’m starting off in Europe...I would go direct to the source, Geneva! The sales there are very friendly and getting to know one personally can open doors for you. On the other hand, you may want to check if they are able to take you on as a client. Some salons will only allocate to home country clients. I’ve heard Paris is somewhat like that...they will only allocate hard to source references to their home clients.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:10 AM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

No idea about Paris but I assume just as bad. Fly to my AD in the San Francisco/ Bay Area... Small city but still Silicon Valley, but much better than the touristy cities like NYC, Paris or London... Since you don't like diamonds I assume you don't have a huge spending history at Tiffany?
Old 29 August 2019, 08:11 AM   #15
baglady
"TRF" Member

Thanks! I might just try Geneva then. I have a friend who lives there.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:12 AM   #16
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
5205R black dial is my favorite current Patek. Just amazing.
Quote:
No idea about Paris but I assume just as bad. Fly to my AD in the San Francisco/ Bay Area... Small city but still Silicon Valley, but much better than the touristy cities like NYC, Paris or London... Since you don't like diamonds I assume you don't have a huge spending history at Tiffany?
I don't. All my spend is with Hermes :-).

Who is your AD? I'm in SF about every other month for work.
Old 29 August 2019, 08:19 AM   #17
dauster
"TRF" Member

just sent you PM
Old 29 August 2019, 08:34 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
Thanks! I was thinking to establish a relationship with the PP salons in Paris. I have a place down there and that's where I also keep my Hermes SA relationship (hence why I'm BAGLADY!).

So if there are reputable gray market dealers down there I'd also be all ears.

Grey market deals I've seen on this forum are actually not horrible for the 5164, so I'm open to it. I'm also patient. I want the watch, but can chill for a few years before I get my hands on it.
Glad you cleared up why you are called baglady and after Pateks as we have had some banned members return here as trolls and you were looking suspect.

In London try Watchfinder, Watchclub, Chronext and Watchcentre on Bond St.
Old 29 August 2019, 09:03 AM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Welcome. Personally I’d go get a RM as a lady. RM 67-01 red gold on orange alligator strap. That would match the Hermes.
Old 29 August 2019, 09:20 AM   #20
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
I believe Paris will be just as full in terms of their waitlist. If it was me and I’m starting off in Europe...I would go direct to the source, Geneva! The sales there are very friendly and getting to know one personally can open doors for you. On the other hand, you may want to check if they are able to take you on as a client. Some salons will only allocate to home country clients. I’ve heard Paris is somewhat like that...they will only allocate hard to source references to their home clients.
In my experience the salon in Geneva is the same. They can't satisfy the needs of their local customers and are not exactly swimming in a sea of Aquanaut and Nautilus either despite being close to the source. Staff are very helpful though and will let you handle pretty much any model of the current collection. Definitely worth a visit when in town.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:12 PM   #21
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Thanks. This lady is one of the few who abhors diamonds :-)
a breath of fresh air!
Old 29 August 2019, 07:31 PM   #22
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
Check out some of the watches Ellen wears for idea's she has some real beauties
Old 29 August 2019, 07:38 PM   #23
Berettameier
"TRF" Member

Just order and buy the 5205R first, start a relationship to your AD with it. Then, order the 5164R.
5164R is quite easy to get. At least at smaller family operated ADs outside of bigger cities.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:48 PM   #24
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
just sent you PM
Thanks!
Old 29 August 2019, 07:52 PM   #25
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berettameier View Post
Just order and buy the 5205R first, start a relationship to your AD with it. Then, order the 5164R.
5164R is quite easy to get. At least at smaller family operated ADs outside of bigger cities.
I didn't realize it was easier to get. Any suggestions on smaller cities in the EU I should try? I am headed to Barcelona and Rome in the next few months so can try there. I did try a dealer in Florence but was laughed out the shop there. And was also laughed out of the Tel Aviv AD (which I know isn't EU but fits with the smaller town theme).

Thank you :-)
Old 29 August 2019, 07:54 PM   #26
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Glad you cleared up why you are called baglady and after Pateks as we have had some banned members return here as trolls and you were looking suspect.

In London try Watchfinder, Watchclub, Chronext and Watchcentre on Bond St.
thanks. just to be transparent, i have trollish ways as this isn't my first internet forum rodeo, but ive never posted on rolexforums before.

currently my watch collection consists of a rolex date (I think 34) SS with white gold crown bezel and a blue face. i love it to death.

I also have a more niche watch by Guilianno Mazzuoli made of Tuscan marble. Just loved it when I saw it. Cost me 3k EUR, but it's probably not worth much.

My bag collection on the other hand.... :-)
Old 29 August 2019, 08:48 PM   #27
Mike Jab
Banned

Quote:
Hi everyone--just wanted to introduce myself as a noob on this forum, and as newly rich, I've acquired a dangerously expensive interest in buying a Patek.

I'm looking to make my first acquisition(s) by December/January/February. On my list are:

5164R (lol I know right?)
5205R

I'm curious if anyone had thoughts on the suitability of the 5205R for women? I'm not a huge fan of the "womens" watches in general, and the 5205 seems so classic.

I'm also wondering if anyone has advice for how to snag the 5164 from an AD. I travel quite extensively (and can go anywhere pretty much at a moment's notice for this). I'm also willing to purchase both as a package deal.

Even if no one as any advice, I'm glad to be part of this community and happy to say hello :-)
Since you are newly rich and want to have your name with Patek, i'd suggest you purchase one or multiple of their grand complications pieces which are dwelling in the cases in the shops (because no one wants them) - problem solved ;)
Old 29 August 2019, 08:59 PM   #28
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jab View Post
Since you are newly rich and want to have your name with Patek, i'd suggest you purchase one or multiple of their grand complications pieces which are dwelling in the cases in the shops (because no one wants them) - problem solved ;)

I am newly rich, but that's out of my own (I'd like to think) smart financial decisions, although I'm not going to pretend that there's been a weird element of dumb luck in some of my best investments.

And with that preface, I'll say that a Grand Complication is out of budget. Whether or not I can afford it, I draw my own lines for what makes sense to me. And those lines have served me well in life so far.

To clarify: Not just looking for a Patek because of the brand. The brand (in my mind) helps with value preservation (and perhaps some appreciation). I like what looks good (on me). This is why I buy Kellys and Birkins--they're beautiful bags. And this is why I don't buy monogrammed garbage bags. This is also why I'll never want or buy a Nautilus. The watch just doesn't appeal to me :-/
Old 29 August 2019, 09:08 PM   #29
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
You need to look at establishing the same relationship with PP as with you Hermes SA. The aquanaut is like buying a Birkin. Good luck!
Old 29 August 2019, 09:29 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
thanks. just to be transparent, i have trollish ways as this isn't my first internet forum rodeo, but ive never posted on rolexforums before.

currently my watch collection consists of a rolex date (I think 34) SS with white gold crown bezel and a blue face. i love it to death.

I also have a more niche watch by Guilianno Mazzuoli made of Tuscan marble. Just loved it when I saw it. Cost me 3k EUR, but it's probably not worth much.

My bag collection on the other hand.... :-)
Yeah you don't sound like those banned members unless they have gone deep state for their cause.
Closed Thread