The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2020, 12:46 PM   #1
Josh1000
Banned

^^ I think this discussion has been had ad nauseam in various threads.....you are confusing collecting with investing....collections dont always have to yield a profit but offer an intrinsic enjoyment from collecting...maybe you neednto.lower your price point where it wont hurt so much....I have a very simple view. Why would I think a watch I buy today is worth more than when I walk.out the dealer? Only scarcity and desirability. If I can have a new watch at par why would I.buy it at par pr premium? I wouldnt...to ne honest on a $85k watch I wouldnt even be interested in a $10000 discount versus buying straight from.the dealer...it needs to be worthwhile!!! Also when I sell to a grey he needs to.make a 20% mark up and the final.price needs to be less than retail by a similar amount....as for the 5170 yes it's sad...but that has nothing to to do with price it just want really loved....I think the 5170G fantastic and a real bargain at $40 which is what I would pay today
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 01:02 PM   #2
singaporepatek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
^^ I think this discussion has been had ad nauseam in various threads.....you are confusing collecting with investing....collections dont always have to yield a profit but offer an intrinsic enjoyment from collecting...maybe you neednto.lower your price point where it wont hurt so much....I have a very simple view. Why would I think a watch I buy today is worth more than when I walk.out the dealer? Only scarcity and desirability. If I can have a new watch at par why would I.buy it at par pr premium? I wouldnt...to ne honest on a $85k watch I wouldnt even be interested in a $10000 discount versus buying straight from.the dealer...it needs to be worthwhile!!! Also when I sell to a grey he needs to.make a 20% mark up and the final.price needs to be less than retail by a similar amount....as for the 5170 yes it's sad...but that has nothing to to do with price it just want really loved....I think the 5170G fantastic and a real bargain at $40 which is what I would pay today

Yes I agree. But you are only looping in two groups investor and collector and there is much more than that. I am not a collector and I am not an investor I just love watches. When I buy a watch I am OK with taking a loss. But I am not ok with a $45,000 USD loss. I can afford to take the loss, but it also totally removes enjoyment from this hobby. If I buy an $85,000 Patek and it is worth 60 or so that is ok. Like my 5905P I bought for $86,000 USD equivalent and it is now worth about 65,000. 20K loss is ok but 45k makes me not like the hobby.
singaporepatek is offline   Reply With Quote