The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 November 2022, 12:30 AM   #1
claretyportman
"TRF" Member

Inherited Early 50s (I think...) 6075 Datejust. What Should I Do?

Hi all,

I've just inherited my grandfather's Rolex, which (thanks to a bit of a research on these forums and elsewhere) I believe to be an early 1950s Datejust. While it doesn't say Datejust on it, there's some old insurance paperwork for it back from the 1970s that describes it as a 6075, which I understand to be just before they started putting that word on them. It also has an all red date wheel rather than a roulette one, which I understand 1945 to 1953. My dad thought he had a memory of being told by someone once that it was from 1962, so I'm guessing perhaps his memory is ten years out and it was 1952.

It seems to be running properly, it's keeping time well and I love just holding it up to my ear and listening.

However, there are some issues. As you'll see from the attached picture, it's missing an 'arrow' (I'm not sure of the right terminology for this), where the number 10 would be. The winder (again, probably wrong word!) is also very stiff.

Then, most majorly, the crystal (I don't know if original or replacement. I suspect the latter) has a habit of popping off from time to time. Dad said it used to happen when he took it on a plane, as well as other times every now and then, so he stopped wearing it and put it in a drawer...

Finally, and easiest, I don't really like the current strap on it, which is just a modern replacement. I'm not sure what to replace it with, I think I prefer leather to gold even if the cost wasn't a factor, as I prefer the more subtle look. The paperwork from the 70s describes the strap as 'Black Alligator', so I imagine that's what my Grandfather used.

All these things really boil down to the question, how should I go about fixing these things? I understand it won't be cheap, but I suppose I'm hoping to keep it under about $1500 or so, if that sounds reasonable? I could afford that, but getting into multiple thousand would be tricky. I also imagine it's not worth more than a few thousand. I have no interest in selling it so perhaps that's not relevant, but it still would feel funny spending $3k fixing something worth $4k for example, even if I could...

There's a Rolex service center just a few minutes away from me. I originally thought I'd go in there and talk to them, but I understand that they probably wouldn't do anything with it anyway as it's too old and they won't have the parts. Seems the advice will likely be to send it to a private repairer/restorer, but, perhaps wrongly, I'm a bit nervous about shipping it off to someone 'unofficial', and also how the hell I go about choosing the right person. I've had Rolliworks recommended, so perhaps I should start by sending off to them for an estimate. Perhaps I may as well just talk to the Rolex Service Center people anyway, even if they won't go near it, they're extremely conveniently located for me.

Anyway, here it is. I know very little about this now and I knew absolutely nothing a week ago, so as well as any guidance, any observations of things I may have missed are most appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usd843w5fzz93.jpg (154.2 KB, 353 views)
claretyportman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 09:56 AM   #2
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Welcome Mr. Portman,

Outstanding and really chique watch!

You can date its production if you sort out its serial number.

Regarding the hour marker (arrow) some Day Date had similar ones.

My father's 6305 from 1955 had them (serial 85.XXX).

Maybe you can outsource a poor dial just for the hour marker, your beauty surely deserves some TLC from an expert watchmaker!

Best of luck,

Filipe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.05.31 IMG_6470aabaaaa.jpg (130.6 KB, 326 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 10:12 AM   #3
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

You can still get original crocodile bracelets for yours, do you have the original matching gold buckle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.05.31 IMG_6490b.jpg (140.8 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 2018.05.31 IMG_6490baa.jpg (99.7 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 2018.05.31 IMG_6490c.jpg (198.1 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 2018.05.31 IMG_6490ca.jpg (250.5 KB, 319 views)
Old 16 November 2022, 10:28 AM   #4
330ci
"TRF" Member

Paging R.W.T...

He's most likely your man for getting this thing serviced. He specializes in this era Rolex and would be who I'd trust to get it sorted.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 10:36 AM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch, have a good independent service it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 November 2022, 10:46 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Isn't this a big bubble-back reference? Can you post a clear straight-on photo of the whole dial?
Old 16 November 2022, 11:13 AM   #7
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the club - I'd love to see some more photos of yours (to compare to mine!)

Old 17 November 2022, 12:16 AM   #8
claretyportman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments everyone! I really am already completely in love with it and want to know everything I can about it. Unfortunately it seems I don't have the original buckle. I've included a photo here of the buckle, but I think it is probably from whoever put one of the replacement straps on.

It is indeed, I believe, a big bubble-back. All of this terminology is new to me but I understand that refers to the fact that it's essentially quite big and rounded. Lifts it off the wrist a bit, but actually seems to make it extremely comfortable as far as I'm concerned.

Another point of interest is the crown (that's the bit I called the winder in my original post but I think I now know the right word!) My googling seems to show that most of these for this model/date say 'Rolex Super Oyster' with the Rolex crown, but mine just has a crown and what looks like a cross or plus sign. Interestedwatcher - I'd be interested in what yours looks like as otherwise yours and mine look pretty much identical (other than yours having all the parts!)? I wonder if this was replaced at some point.

I'm thinking at the moment my plan is I may as well stop into the RSC near me as they seem to have a watchmaker there. I'm expecting them not to be of any use with this but it feels like I may as well, given that I literally drive past them anyway. Then I guess it's a question of researching the best people to send it off to. I have seen R.W.T mentioned elsewhere too, also Rolliworks, Ridley, True Patina...I guess it's tricky to work out who but I'll do as much looking into it as I can.

Sorry I am terrible at taking photos but I've tried to cover as much as I can as well as I can here. Please let me know if anything else is helpful or interesting. All I really want to do at the moment is talk to people about this thing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.jpg (59.1 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpeg image6.jpeg (138.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpeg image4.jpeg (68.5 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpeg image1 (3).jpeg (55.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpeg image0 (3).jpeg (94.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 17 November 2022, 12:53 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claretyportman View Post
I'm thinking at the moment my plan is I may as well stop into the RSC near me as they seem to have a watchmaker there.
I assume you're referring to a Rolex dealer, not an RSC (there is no RSC in Massachusetts to my knowledge). I would be careful at an AD, which are generally just jewelry stores. They often send watches out to 3rd party watchmakers and you really don't know what you're getting. Also, communication through a middle-man can be poor.
Old 17 November 2022, 02:05 AM   #10
claretyportman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I assume you're referring to a Rolex dealer, not an RSC (there is no RSC in Massachusetts to my knowledge). I would be careful at an AD, which are generally just jewelry stores. They often send watches out to 3rd party watchmakers and you really don't know what you're getting. Also, communication through a middle-man can be poor.
Thanks for the advice, I'm obviously very new to this. The place I go past is Date and Time in Sudbury. I went to the Rolex site and did 'Find a Service Center' and they came up. Perhaps though this isn't a 'real' service center, and just an AD that has a watchmaker. The terminology confuses me a bit.

It's interesting that the reading I do about repair through Rolex shows so many different opinions. Lot's of people saying don't do it, but also several people that have done it, and they always seem very happy. I haven't actually found any accounts of it going wrong, but lots of people saying that it goes wrong, if that makes sense. Some people saying it used to be bad and now it's good, and I guess that's a possible explanation for the disparity.

I hadn't heard about it going through third parties though which sounds concerning. I had thought that either a center with a watchmaker would work on it, or send it off somewhere else (Dallas?) that could, or say that they couldn't do it at all, which is what I've been suspecting would be most likely.

There is a large part of me that would rather do it if it were possible, officially through Rolex or their authorized reps and somewhere that I could drop if off. Mainly as this is so special to me, not just because I love the thing itself, but because of the connection with my grandfather and my father. I work in an industry that involves sending stuff around the country with Fedex and UPS and I know that there are significant risks mailing things even insured at high values so I would be very nervous sending it off somewhere. I do realize that it may end up the sensible option anyway, but just considering my options carefully!
Old 17 November 2022, 02:51 AM   #11
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
These are the people for this job !

https://ridleywatchmakers.com
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 03:55 AM   #12
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

You need a competent expert Indy Watchmaker, not a Rolex Authorized Dealer (AD).

ADs are absolutely no good with vintage - yours is the vintage of vintage!
Old 17 November 2022, 04:20 AM   #13
claretyportman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
You need a competent expert Indy Watchmaker, not a Rolex Authorized Dealer (AD).

ADs are absolutely no good with vintage - yours is the vintage of vintage!
Thank you. I already replied before you sent this with a little explanation of why I've been thinking about at least talking to the AD but I appreciate that more and more people are telling me the same thing! That comment is awaiting moderation so it should be there by the time you see this, but just to respond to you separately here...

When you say mine is the 'vintage of vintage', do you just mean because it's *really* vintage as in its properly old? Does it seem in good shape for its age other than the missing dial? Anything else notable about it? I've been trying to research this but it's really difficult because I can't find a lot of similar things, most have tiny differences, although at least what I can see of interestedwatcher's looks identical to my eye.
Old 17 November 2022, 05:54 AM   #14
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
They added the “Datejust” name on the dial in mid 1955(ish), and introduced the cyclops together with the roulette date wheel - so yours pre-dates that for a start, you have one of the last bubblebacks

Makes a nice change to see a watch of this vintage, as most seem to be either pre-40’s and rather plain, or the submariners that are heavily documented collectors pieces. It’s a matter of opinion as always, but the 50’s in general were a great decade for Datejusts (marked up as such or otherwise), before they reverted to being rather more “conventional” to look at

Mine says hello ('57 non-bubbleback)…..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_sho7w.php (2).jpg (46.1 KB, 198 views)
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 10:05 AM   #15
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claretyportman View Post
Thank you. I already replied before you sent this with a little explanation of why I've been thinking about at least talking to the AD but I appreciate that more and more people are telling me the same thing! That comment is awaiting moderation so it should be there by the time you see this, but just to respond to you separately here...

When you say mine is the 'vintage of vintage', do you just mean because it's *really* vintage as in its properly old? Does it seem in good shape for its age other than the missing dial? Anything else notable about it? I've been trying to research this but it's really difficult because I can't find a lot of similar things, most have tiny differences, although at least what I can see of interestedwatcher's looks identical to my eye.
@claretyportman unfortunately I feel helpless, as I too, have inherited my 6305 in 1990 when my father died at 85.

I can firmly state that mine was produced in 1955 and has serial number 85XXX, as per a Rolex HQ letter I have.

Your watch is a beauty, has a fantastic patina, dont worry too much about the missing hour marker, you will eventually find one, I've seen quite a few Date Just with them, look and ask around for a damaged dial.

"Vintage of vintage" was just to emphasize the age and rarity of yours. As you've seen, only 1 member (@interestedwatcher) has one.

You will find many enthusiasts willing to help you out, but the route is to find a reputable independent master watchmaker.

Try a WTB advert for a wrecked dial.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Filipe
Old 17 November 2022, 10:10 AM   #16
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
Mine says hello ('57 non-bubbleback)…..
Hi @CaveDweller , can you please share you model ref., please?

Thank you!

Filipe
Old 17 November 2022, 10:45 AM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
They added the “Datejust” name on the dial in mid 1955(ish)
According to this pic in the Dowling & Hess book, 'Datejust' was on the dial in 1945 on the first run of 100 watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1854.JPG (238.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 17 November 2022, 10:53 AM   #18
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
According to this pic in the Dowling & Hess book, 'Datejust' was on the dial in 1945 on the first run of 100 watches.
Great info. thanks!
Old 17 November 2022, 07:41 PM   #19
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Quote:
Hi @CaveDweller , can you please share you model ref., please?

Thank you!

Filipe
18K 6605 with a 1065 movement - circa 1957 - refinished dial

Ex pat - interesting, thanks for the info
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 08:53 AM   #20
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It appears to be a 6075. The dial is difficult to say from these photos.

Without a clearer photo and really having the dial off of the watch, it's impossible to say definitively.

The 6075 is originally a Super Oyster crown. This one has been replaced early on, presumably by Rolex as per their own request...(I have in writing). The watches were requested to be sent to RNY for retrofitting of a 600 crown.

Early on because it has the + on the crown which would've disappeared within the decade it was made. Of course from a collectible standpoint the Super Oyster being original would be more desirable but from a practical standpoint the 600 is a better crown.

6075 utilizes an A295 movement or 720 series not the later A 296. The dissimilarities are akin to the difference between the 630 and the 645 movements.

The 720 is full cover rotor mechanism and utilizes a different rotor axle and a completely different "barrel stack" coupling the autowind to the base movement than the 775-A296.

It is NOT shock resistant and the 775-A296 is.

The 775-A296 is shock resisting and has an opening in the rotor cover to allow for adjusting of the regulation as does the 645.

The weak point in this movement is the last wheel of the autowind portion. I've seen countless with the teeth sheered off. This happens when something is dry and binds in the rotor mech. I'm always skittish about anyone wearing these after they are found in a drawer...it might be fine...but if it's not...and that wheel dies...it's one of the toughest parts to source there is. Ask Robby Durst and Thom Jacoby! Better safe than sorry.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2022, 08:55 AM   #21
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The dial in that photo is refinished IMHO.

A 1945 dial would say SWISS MADE...not SWISS.
Old 18 November 2022, 09:17 AM   #22
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

@CaveDweller thank you!

The Date Just is underrated, even by myself - mea culpa - a sports SS lover.

But these older ones are a special breed, I am so proud of this heirloom, can't resist sharing some pics from its original paperwork.

The retailer's premises are vacant but still there, Lisbon's downtown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Docs.jpg (169.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Garantia pag 1 0.jpg (67.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Garantia pag 2 0.jpg (207.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Garantia pag 3 0.jpg (156.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Garantia pag 4 0.jpg (216.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Garantia pag 5 0.jpg (121.9 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 1956.11.00 Garantia pag 5 0a.jpg (208.7 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg J. Maury a.JPG (139.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg J. Maury e.JPG (139.1 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by Filipćo; 18 November 2022 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: missing info
Old 18 November 2022, 11:39 AM   #23
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@CaveDweller thank you!

The Date Just is underrated, even by myself - mea culpa - a sports SS lover.

But these older ones are a special breed, I am so proud of this heirloom, can't resist sharing some pics from its original paperwork.

The retailer's premises are vacant but still there, Lisbon's downtown.
Outstanding!
Old 18 November 2022, 12:05 PM   #24
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Outstanding!

Thank you Sir, just one more for the road to keep this thread alive and the O.P. eager to restore his.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.05.31 IMG_6473.jpg (187.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 1955.07.09 Certificado 1.jpg (281.4 KB, 113 views)