The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 14 January 2008, 11:43 PM   #31
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Thanks JJ for the correction.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 02:18 PM   #32
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Very nice review, several pics would help it obtain a Caldicot award.
Old 18 January 2008, 10:32 AM   #33
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Great review JJ. I never understood why Rolex put a red second hand on this watch. It looks a little out of place to me but maybe it's got something to do with sailing?
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 02:36 AM   #34
samsung82
Banned

samsung82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 04:38 AM   #35
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Great review JJ. One thing missing only: PICS!!!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2008, 05:15 AM   #36
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Great review JJ. One thing missing only: PICS!!!
Why, don't you know what a Sub Date looks like? And now the genie is out of the bottle again and JJ will inundate this forum with multiple postings filled to the brim with 16610 pictures And again
Old 7 February 2008, 05:24 AM   #37
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
...JJ will inundate this forum with multiple postings filled to the brim with 16610 pictures And again
And probably AGAIN!!!
Old 9 March 2008, 11:38 AM   #38
kelly56
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 1675 Speedy
Just bought my first 16610 last week and in love with it. I had a couple of friends who tried talking me into the black or blue TT, but I resisted and went with the classic.. Good review. Thanks.

SS Submariner Date
Omega Seamaster
kelly56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2008, 11:38 AM   #39
kelly56
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 1675 Speedy
Just bought my first 16610 last week and in love with it. I had a couple of friends who tried talking me into the black or blue TT, but I resisted and went with the classic.. Good review. Thanks.

SS Submariner Date
Omega Seamaster
kelly56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2008, 12:10 PM   #40
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great review and great watch !
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2008, 08:12 AM   #41
Magik

Watch: Sub-Date & GMT ll
Great thoughts on the SS Sub-Date. I agree with you on all. The Sub-Date needs to be in everyone's collection of Rolex pieces.
Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 11:08 PM   #42
Ormiboy

Great read. Ive just joined the submariner ranks and im very happy thus far. I just purchased a Anniversary ss sub with the green bezel two weeks ago and cant stop looking at it. Still on the waiting list for a black faced Milgauss too but cant quite afford it just yet.

Loving my Rolex more each day.

Cheers guys.

Willie R

Edinburgh
Ormiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 11:41 AM   #43
HoustonRider
"TRF" Member

7.5 " wrist? is that before or after you shave it?

lol
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 03:53 PM   #44
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcc View Post
Very nice review, several pics would help it obtain a Caldicot award.

Pardon me for being new and unknowlegable, but what is a caldicot award?

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 03:58 PM   #45
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi guys,

What can I say about the superlative 16610 - or more popularly known as the SS Sub-date?

I've had my baby on now for just over 8 months and, knowing how anal I am about accuracy and performance, I am absolutely overjoyed to announce that this watch has NEVER let me down in this department!!

Even as I type this message, the watch is virtually spot-on!! Everything they say about the amazing 3135 movement is true - very true!!! Yes, there are much better finished and more attractive movements out there...and from some of the finest watch manufacturing Swiss firms in the world!! Those movements, in fact, are so beautiful, they deserve a transparent caseback.

However, with the 3135 movement, there's really NOTHING to see in terms of beauty and finesse. It's a bloody workhorse...and that's exactly what it's been designed to do. So Rolex never make any watch with transparent casebacks. Their movements have been designed to be heard and appreciated...NOT watched (no pun intended!! )

The CASE: Massive and very solid. Love the no-holes on the sides look! Gives it a nice smooth kinda continuity. Crown guards are perfectly designed to hug the massive TRIPLOCK crown. Size of 40 mm is perfect for virtually most wrist sizes - not too big and not too small!!

The CRYSTAL: Whereas the older models had their crystals sitting very high up on the top of the case, this one is virtually flush with the bezel and with only a very, very slight and negligible height difference. Solid, massive crystal designed to easily take water pressures at a depth of 1000+ feet of water!!

The CROWN: Love the TRIPLOCK crown, its largeness and the feel of its ultra-smooth winding mechanism. The added 'O-ring' around the stem gives you just that extra assurance that this baby can go down to virtually any depth YOU can possibly take it down to.

The BEZEL: Never had any problems with it. Hardly ever use it except perhaps sometimes at parking meters when I go downtown. Clicks through 120 stops for one complete counter-clockwise rotation. I'm happy with that!!

The DIAL: Now we come to the most aesthetically important part of any watch. This dial is black...and I do mean BLACK.....a total negation of all colours!! And that's what BLACK's all about!! NO COLOURS!! The standard size markers and hands are perfectly suited for this all time classic and, I'm afraid, a maxi dial and hands on this beauty would just about ruin its all time PERFECT appearance. And that unique centre sweep...absolute CRACKER!!

The BRACELET: With all this recent hype about HOLLOW and SOLID centre links, frankly I see no problem with HOLLOW centre links. I can assure you these links are extremely strong. Each link is additionally reinforced with small spring bars inside to compensate for friction. Seriously, you could hang a 200 pound man from this Oyster Fliplock bracelet and it would HOLD!!

The CLASP: I much prefer this longer 8-hole clasp as compared with the shorter Oysterlock one. Somehow it sits much better on my 7½" wrist, but some may prefer the shorter clasp.

Well, that's about it, guys. In 26 years, this is my FOURTH SS Sub-date. Guess I just keep going back to it, uh?
Thanks for reading, guys - JJ

Curious, JJ, what is 'unique about the sweep compaired to the 3185 (GMT IIc)?

SO right , iconic and timeless, (definatly no pun intended)

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 05:57 AM   #46
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Curious, JJ, what is 'unique about the sweep compaired to the 3185 (GMT IIc)?

SO right , iconic and timeless, (definatly no pun intended)
No difference, Steve. Both movements beat at 28,800 A/Hr, i.e. 8 beats per second.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 12:01 PM   #47
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
From a NOOB.....

....I really appreciate the effort for both reviews!!

They are simply FANTASTIC, guys. Enjoyed the reading.

AWESOME!!

Sincerely, Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 03:56 PM   #48
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
....I really appreciate the effort for both reviews!!

They are simply FANTASTIC, guys. Enjoyed the reading.

AWESOME!!

Sincerely, Stan.
Thanks, Stan. Appreciate your......hmmmmmm....appreciation!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 15 June 2008, 11:30 PM   #49
Haole
Banned

Ooooh, I love reading about my baby, thanks guys!
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2009, 02:12 AM   #50
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Just found this. Great review JJ. I adore my Sub Date as well.
Old 4 March 2009, 11:29 PM   #51
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
JJ, Thanx for the great review on a classic watch. There's nothing like a Sub on your wrist to brighten up your day!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2009, 11:29 PM   #52
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
JJ, Thanx for the great review on a classic watch. There's nothing like a Sub on your wrist to brighten up your day!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2009, 12:14 AM   #53
anipit
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 + 16220
Great review, i was only surprized about the completely plain back of the watch, nothing written, no numbers, no diving or meters informations.
Old 5 March 2009, 02:48 AM   #54
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anipit View Post
Great review, i was only surprized about the completely plain back of the watch, nothing written, no numbers, no diving or meters informations.
Hi Laura,

Welcome to TRF.

The dive depth rating is printed on the dial. With the exception of a very few Rolex models (i.e. SD, DSSD and Milgauss), the others have plain casebacks.

Hope you enjoy your stay on this forum.

Cheers - JJ

Old 6 March 2009, 04:46 AM   #55
simoesm
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date Black
Thanks for the 2 very good and different reviews.
Great reading.
simoesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 12:10 PM   #56
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
good stuff!
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2009, 01:10 AM   #57
net0man

Watch: 79190
I am looking for my first Rolex. Rolex has so many nice watches! I admit that I get confused with which model to shop. These reviews convinced me to stick with 16610 that I originally wanted.

Thanks.
net0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2009, 07:20 AM   #58
mrtian97
"TRF" Member

I just bought my first Rolex last week in Geneva, and it's the 16610. So far I loved this watch, been wanting to get this for the past 10 yrs.....
mrtian97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2009, 08:13 AM   #59
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi guys,

What can I say about the superlative 16610 - or more popularly known as the SS Sub-date?

I've had my baby on now for just over 8 months and, knowing how anal I am about accuracy and performance, I am absolutely overjoyed to announce that this watch has NEVER let me down in this department!!

Even as I type this message, the watch is virtually spot-on!! Everything they say about the amazing 3135 movement is true - very true!!! Yes, there are much better finished and more attractive movements out there...and from some of the finest watch manufacturing Swiss firms in the world!! Those movements, in fact, are so beautiful, they deserve a transparent caseback.

However, with the 3135 movement, there's really NOTHING to see in terms of beauty and finesse. It's a bloody workhorse...and that's exactly what it's been designed to do. So Rolex never make any watch with transparent casebacks. Their movements have been designed to be heard and appreciated...NOT watched (no pun intended!! )

The CASE: Massive and very solid. Love the no-holes on the sides look! Gives it a nice smooth kinda continuity. Crown guards are perfectly designed to hug the massive TRIPLOCK crown. Size of 40 mm is perfect for virtually most wrist sizes - not too big and not too small!!

The CRYSTAL: Whereas the older models had their crystals sitting very high up on the top of the case, this one is virtually flush with the bezel and with only a very, very slight and negligible height difference. Solid, massive crystal designed to easily take water pressures at a depth of 1000+ feet of water!!

The CROWN: Love the TRIPLOCK crown, its largeness and the feel of its ultra-smooth winding mechanism. The added 'O-ring' around the stem gives you just that extra assurance that this baby can go down to virtually any depth YOU can possibly take it down to.

The BEZEL: Never had any problems with it. Hardly ever use it except perhaps sometimes at parking meters when I go downtown. Clicks through 120 stops for one complete counter-clockwise rotation. I'm happy with that!!

The DIAL: Now we come to the most aesthetically important part of any watch. This dial is black...and I do mean BLACK.....a total negation of all colours!! And that's what BLACK's all about!! NO COLOURS!! The standard size markers and hands are perfectly suited for this all time classic and, I'm afraid, a maxi dial and hands on this beauty would just about ruin its all time PERFECT appearance. And that unique centre sweep...absolute CRACKER!!

The BRACELET: With all this recent hype about HOLLOW and SOLID centre links, frankly I see no problem with HOLLOW centre links. I can assure you these links are extremely strong. Each link is additionally reinforced with small spring bars inside to compensate for friction. Seriously, you could hang a 200 pound man from this Oyster Fliplock bracelet and it would HOLD!!

The CLASP: I much prefer this longer 8-hole clasp as compared with the shorter Oysterlock one. Somehow it sits much better on my 7½" wrist, but some may prefer the shorter clasp.

Well, that's about it, guys. In 26 years, this is my FOURTH SS Sub-date. Guess I just keep going back to it, uh?
Thanks for reading, guys - JJ
Good read!

Can I used some of these line to sell my watch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Submariner.jpg (35.6 KB, 152 views)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2009, 04:39 PM   #60
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebot View Post
Good read!

Can I used some of these line to sell my watch?
Be my guest, buddy......but why do you want to sell such a classic?