The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 December 2023, 04:46 AM   #1
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Strap help for A. Lange 1815

Hello,

I want to purchase a replacement strap(s) for an 1815 Up/Down. Can someone please tell me what the dimensions are for the straps? Also, who do you recommend for replacement straps? Thinking about a blue hue for my first one.

Thank you
IBSlingin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 01:34 PM   #2
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBSlingin View Post
Hello,

I want to purchase a replacement strap(s) for an 1815 Up/Down. Can someone please tell me what the dimensions are for the straps? Also, who do you recommend for replacement straps? Thinking about a blue hue for my first one.

Thank you
The OEM strap is 20mm/16mm. Check out delugs.com for aftermarket straps that don’t break the bank.. I find that a vintage/ distressed strap really works well with the 1815 and really gives the watch an interesting vibe.
lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 01:51 PM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I like molequin and a collected man for reasonably priced straps. If you want sometching a bit nicer and custom, look at Camille fournet
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 04:10 PM   #4
magicman
"TRF" Member

I love Delugs custom straps and now won't buy anything else. There's something incredibly luxurious about a strap that's just perfectly sized for my wrist. Their selection of leathers is excellent and their customer service is good.

I've bought A Collected Man straps and like their Nubuck straps but was disappointed with some of their more formal leathers. The edge painting and the quality of the stitching wasn't quite up to Delugs standard.

Be careful with quick release spring bars for Lange watches. I've found that my lug holes are very small and quick release spring bars (even from Delugs) don't fit properly and may lead to wear over time from the turning back and forth. I swap in the OEM Lange spring bars. I've seen plenty of pictures where others use non-OEM spring bars on Lange watches, I just haven't done it myself and been comfortable with it.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 11:24 PM   #5
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the responses. I'll look into Delugs and Camille Fournet. Also, thanks for the tip about the spring bars. Gonna have to invest in a quality spring bar tool now also.
Old 3 December 2023, 11:58 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I like ACM.
Old 4 December 2023, 12:14 AM   #7
cotway
Banned

Watch: Zeitwerk Date
I have found that Jean Rousseau makes fantastic bespoke straps. A lot of manufacturers use them for their OEM straps. Not inexpensive but you get what you pay for. I have several for my 1815 AC and my Zeitwerk.

https://www.jean-rousseau.com/us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cotway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 12:51 AM   #8
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotway View Post
I have found that Jean Rousseau makes fantastic bespoke straps. A lot of manufacturers use them for their OEM straps. Not inexpensive but you get what you pay for. I have several for my 1815 AC and my Zeitwerk.

https://www.jean-rousseau.com/us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like that blue in the first pic. Think it will go nicely with the blued hands of the 1815. What model/color is that? Thanks
Old 4 December 2023, 06:21 AM   #9
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Also, what spring bar tool are you using?
Old 4 December 2023, 06:24 AM   #10
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona

JR's admiral
Old 4 December 2023, 07:28 AM   #11
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, what spring bar tool are you using?
Use a Bergeon with a fine tip. I think 6767-F.
Old 4 December 2023, 07:31 AM   #12
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
Thank you sir
Old 4 December 2023, 09:09 AM   #13
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
I love Delugs custom straps and now won't buy anything else. There's something incredibly luxurious about a strap that's just perfectly sized for my wrist. Their selection of leathers is excellent and their customer service is good.

I've bought A Collected Man straps and like their Nubuck straps but was disappointed with some of their more formal leathers. The edge painting and the quality of the stitching wasn't quite up to Delugs standard.

Be careful with quick release spring bars for Lange watches. I've found that my lug holes are very small and quick release spring bars (even from Delugs) don't fit properly and may lead to wear over time from the turning back and forth. I swap in the OEM Lange spring bars. I've seen plenty of pictures where others use non-OEM spring bars on Lange watches, I just haven't done it myself and been comfortable with it.
Agreed on ACM nubuck straps. They're the best you can find anywhere. Delugs is OK but I still prefer ACM's casual straps better - especially for Journe watches with 20/19mm size and curved spring bars.
Old 4 December 2023, 10:17 PM   #14
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it worth going with the Bergeon 7825 tweezer style?
Old 4 December 2023, 10:47 PM   #15
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Strap help for A. Lange 1815

Quote:

No. Not for a strap. Use tape and the 6767 and remove one side at a time. Those are metal bracelet tweezers.
Old 4 December 2023, 11:08 PM   #16
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
No. Not for a strap. Use tape and the 6767 and remove one side at a time. Those are metal bracelet tweezers.
Very well. Thank you
Old 5 December 2023, 01:12 PM   #17
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
The strap dimensions depend upon which 1815 Up/Down you have. The older ones are 19/16. The newer ones are 20/16. Click the "Historic Data" tab on this spreadsheet to look up the dimensions for your watch.

I really like Jean Rousseau straps. Here's a blue one they made for me:

Quote:
I made this mistake years ago. I couldn't even use the Bergeon 7825 for bracelets. The Bergeon 6111 is wonderful with its big flat blade.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2023, 11:09 PM   #18
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Thank you CFR. I’ll look into that particular model.
Love the straps. Hopefully one day I can make my way to a JR boutique and have a strap custom made.
Old 6 December 2023, 08:25 PM   #19
flanzig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I
Yes I definitely encountered this issue. The default Springbars from Delugs work and I haven’t had one detach. But you can tell they are just a wee bit too large.

I haven’t figured out what size springbars ALS uses, and even if I had them how to go about replacing the quick release bar on my Delugs straps.
flanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:39 PM   #20
csquared317
"TRF" Member

Dont' use Delugs, my heart is full of pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 1.43.52 pm.jpg (111.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 1.43.43 pm.jpg (127.1 KB, 141 views)
csquared317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:57 PM   #21
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by csquared317 View Post
Dont' use Delugs, my heart is full of pain.

Sorry to see that, but I appreciate you sharing it. Is that from the Delugs spring bars?

I had a strap made by JR for my Lange, and it came with spring bars provided by JR. I ended up taking them out because there was a little play, and I decided to use the OEM spring bars instead.

I have heard (but cannot verify) that ALS can repair with adding metal when a watch is serviced. I would hope they can fix up your lug holes without issue.
Old 14 December 2023, 06:42 AM   #22
IBSlingin
"TRF" Member

Thanks
Will definitely use the OEM spring bars
Old 14 December 2023, 08:42 AM   #23
magicman
"TRF" Member

If someone figures out the Lange OEM spring bar size, please post it. At some point I guess I'll have to call Alkis or maybe a Lange boutique and ask.
Old 14 December 2023, 01:29 PM   #24
csquared317
"TRF" Member

Yes that was with the Delugs Spring bars.

I hope they can fix it at service, I think it looks worse in photos than in realife, as I've moved back to my regular strap and spring bars and there is no play.

If you order not quick release spring bars from Camille fournet you can choose the thickness of the spring bars, they coudn't tell me which one is the correct size for the Up down.

I tried to put the OEM Spring bars into my Camille fournet but it was too thick for the strap.
csquared317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 02:27 PM   #25
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hope they can fix it at service, I think it looks worse in photos than in realife, as I've moved back to my regular strap and spring bars and there is no play.

If you order not quick release spring bars from Camille fournet you can choose the thickness of the spring bars, they coudn't tell me which one is the correct size for the Up down.

I tried to put the OEM Spring bars into my Camille fournet but it was too thick for the strap.
It's a bit of a complicated issue and I don't know what the exact answer is for Lange, but from what I've been able to read the spring bars are usually 1.5mm or 1.8mm. This is the diameter of the middle of the spring bar, not the tip that fits in the socket. Spring bars aren't named by the tip size, so who knows what that is. But I've tried both 1.5mm and 1.8mm quick release spring bars in my Lange and both were too large at the tip that inserted. The tip doesn't freely spin, and the QR component would stress the lug hole, so I gave up and went back to the OEM spring bars.

I don't know whether the key is to get spring bars that are <1.5mm at the center, or whether there are 1.5mm spring bars that have smaller tips.

Does anyone know if the spring bars are changed at Lange service? I got my watch serviced about two years ago but it didn't look like the spring bars were changed. Perhaps they were inspected and in good condition?
Old 14 December 2023, 10:29 PM   #26
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If I am putting new spring bars on a $20,000-$50,000-$70,000 gold watch, they are going to be OEM and gold - so I’d get another set from Lange. And if I got a non-Lange strap that didn’t fit those Lange spring bars then I would return the strap. And if I was going the custom route, I would specify that the strap needs to accommodate Lange spring bars. This is the avenue I will be taking when I get around to getting a new strap for my 1815 (chrono).

Just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 08:31 AM   #27
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
If I am putting new spring bars on a $20,000-$50,000-$70,000 gold watch, they are going to be OEM and gold - so I’d get another set from Lange. And if I got a non-Lange strap that didn’t fit those Lange spring bars then I would return the strap. And if I was going the custom route, I would specify that the strap needs to accommodate Lange spring bars. This is the avenue I will be taking when I get around to getting a new strap for my 1815 (chrono).

Just my 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The lange spring bars are not gold if Im not mistaken.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote