The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 July 2020, 04:35 AM   #31
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

The 600cc may seem like its down on power, but start with the fundamentals first and make make sure you are fully confident and comfortable on a sport bike before moving to a 1000cc.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:16 AM   #32
Sebenza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I come from the bagger world and am looking for my first sport bike. I know I have the confidence and responsibility for a 1000 but I want to learn good technique especially on the corners and hear 600's are better because they're also better track bikes, which is something I intend to master my skills on.

Leaning towards Kawasaki ZX6r non-abs 2020 which I can get for $8250 new. Friend recommended Yamaha R6 but I understand those have no low-end power and while good for tracks, aren't good for the street. I'll be doing about 70% of my riding on the street.

Thoughts appreciated brothers.
Having a lower power bike helps teach you to carry speed into corners because the acceleration out of turns isn't as good. Line selection is more important. Kind of like riding a 125cc two stroke motocrosser. Got to keep it pegged and carry momentum through every turn. Any modern street bike has more than enough power for everyday riding on the street.
Sebenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 01:21 AM   #33
Sebenza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
This year makes 50 years of riding motorcycles for me. I’ve ridden and owned every type of motorcycle made, including Harley Davidson, and raced full schedule GNCC for 12 years. At 58, I’ll still throw one in a turn, cross any mountain pass, or ford a deep river with the best of them, including any of the “advisors” above.

I’ve also attended many funerals, used a t-shirt to cover bones sticking out of arms and legs while pools of blood formed on the ground. Lying beside a fellow rider, trying to comfort them in those last moments affects one forever. Feeling a body tremble on the side of a hill, with blood running out of the mouth and ears, while their last breath escaped the lungs, leaves a lasting impression. The moment those fingers relax their last grip on your hand, it’s all one can do not to throw up and cry simultaneously.

Now, take my advice ever how you wish. I’ve fulfilled my fellow rider obligation and responsibility.

) Read the highlighted words above repeatedly.

) Buy a Japanese 600cc of your choosing.

) Enroll in a three day track school.

) When proficient, get a 1000cc if you still desire one.

) Become an organ donor. At 58 I may need some good body parts.

What years did you race GNCC? I was on the scene from ~1996 to 2003. Started out with hare scrambles on Honda XR's and even had one of Scott Summers' old XR600s. Then I switched to a KTM 300 in 1997 and rode out of Neeley's shop. I read your thread about downsizing your home. Randy Hawkins has something similar. He took a large industrial building and converted part of it into a home. The rest is a workout room, several trophy rooms with old championship bikes, large cooking/picnic area, and half a basketball court. It's a pretty amazing place. Not to mention a motocross track right outside the front door. Bonus!!!
Old 28 July 2020, 09:48 AM   #34
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebenza View Post
What years did you race GNCC? I was on the scene from ~1996 to 2003. Started out with hare scrambles on Honda XR's and even had one of Scott Summers' old XR600s. Then I switched to a KTM 300 in 1997 and rode out of Neeley's shop. I read your thread about downsizing your home. Randy Hawkins has something similar. He took a large industrial building and converted part of it into a home. The rest is a workout room, several trophy rooms with old championship bikes, large cooking/picnic area, and half a basketball court. It's a pretty amazing place. Not to mention a motocross track right outside the front door. Bonus!!!
Rode mid 80’s until my daughter was born in ‘94, then back again at 48-50 years old ..... that didn’t work out well. Many MEHSA back in Buren Hamrick days.

Remember Neeley the elder(?), the boys were young then. Met Summers and Hawkins a few times, but never “knew” them well since I ran open class and they were pro class. Also remember Steve McSwain, and Buren’s son-in-law (name ?) quite well.

Don’t miss it at all, the big adventure bikes are far more satisfying.
Old 28 July 2020, 10:58 PM   #35
Sebenza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rode mid 80’s until my daughter was born in ‘94, then back again at 48-50 years old ..... that didn’t work out well. Many MEHSA back in Buren Hamrick days.

Remember Neeley the elder(?), the boys were young then. Met Summers and Hawkins a few times, but never “knew” them well since I ran open class and they were pro class. Also remember Steve McSwain, and Buren’s son-in-law (name ?) quite well.

Don’t miss it at all, the big adventure bikes are far more satisfying.
Buren's tracks are horrible. Always have been and still are. Yeah, I think Robby had a factory support ride with Kawasaki in the early 80's. His grandson, Cole, had a factory support ride until this year. He's had some bad crashes and broke his femur in one of them. I vaguely remember Steve. There were a lot of fast guys in Buren's series like Wayne Beatty and his sons, Vance Earl (his son is now in the XC3 GNCC class), Baylor bros., etc.
Old 13 August 2020, 12:09 AM   #36
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
Thanks for the advice everyone. After working with several dealers and instructors, I decided on a 2020 Triumph Speed Triple RS 1050.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:13 AM   #37
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. After working with several dealers and instructors, I decided on a 2020 Triumph Speed Triple RS 1050.
Well done! The Triumph, will sound beautiful.

Heed well, some of the advice given here, it just might, save your life.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck!
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:17 AM   #38
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Well done! The Triumph, will sound beautiful.

Heed well, some of the advice given here, it just might, save your life.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 02:36 AM   #39
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I had a 600RR Hanspree and it was incredible, really incredible. Bought it new and was super excited. Swapped it for an R1 four months later!! Basically, it’s really hard to resist a 1,000cc so don’t bother trying.

If I was going for anything less, it would be a GSX750R which is such an easy bike to ride.

I wouldn’t go R1 again, too brutal in the power delivery to really enjoy on the road. The Ducati’s are awesome and have such a nice sound to them, and are a work of art, but I’ve always championed reliability over beauty when it comes to bikes, simply can’t afford for them to go wrong!

The Fireblade is probably the best bike of all the 1k’s in terms of all round capability. But...if I was buying another sport bike, I’d go either BMW which is wonderfully quick, or Aprilla RSV4 which I’ve done many laps on and adore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:07 AM   #40
dan993
"TRF" Member

It's sad the 750cc class went as it was a perfect compromise
dan993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:14 AM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Admittedly I’m not a bike guy, but if I were, I think I’d go Ducati, they just look the part to me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 03:35 AM   #42
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's what I was hoping to hear

So funny, was expecting the same.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 05:39 PM   #43
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Track days, best money spent. Way more fun than riding on the street.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2020, 06:46 PM   #44
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Track days, best money spent. Way more fun than riding on the street.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Partly agree. Although you always get too many idiots thinking they should be in the expert group when they shouldn’t, makes it dangerous. Better to get a few mates together, hire a track for the day (anything between £5k to £10k for a good track in my experience), and have some really good fun without sharing the day with a bunch of reckless wannabes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 14 August 2020, 03:21 AM   #45
Jack Thomas
"TRF" Member

just gone from my 5th Harley Davidson to a KTM 1290 super duke R, amazing bike loads of torque and easy to ride. the 790 KTM duke is also very good
Jack Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #46
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
Quote:
This year makes 50 years of riding motorcycles for me. I’ve ridden and owned every type of motorcycle made, including Harley Davidson, and raced full schedule GNCC for 12 years. At 58, I’ll still throw one in a turn, cross any mountain pass, or ford a deep river with the best of them, including any of the “advisors” above.

I’ve also attended many funerals, used a t-shirt to cover bones sticking out of arms and legs while pools of blood formed on the ground. Lying beside a fellow rider, trying to comfort them in those last moments affects one forever. Feeling a body tremble on the side of a hill, with blood running out of the mouth and ears, while their last breath escaped the lungs, leaves a lasting impression. The moment those fingers relax their last grip on your hand, it’s all one can do not to throw up and cry simultaneously.

Now, take my advice ever how you wish. I’ve fulfilled my fellow rider obligation and responsibility.

This is
Thanks for the reality check
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:19 AM   #47
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Much respect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk