The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 August 2020, 03:16 AM   #1
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
How do you thank your dealers?

I know we are making big purchases by buying expensive watches, but is there an industry known practice on how to thank our SA?

They obviously have a salary and I'm guessing commission. I've also read the GQ article on Kelly Yoch at Tiffany being given a bobblehead out of all sorts of things so that's what brought me to ask this question.

All in all, what would be a good way to thank them? Something that doesn't look tacky/desperate (bringing gifts in the AD/Boutique).

- Billy

Last edited by westoque; 15 August 2020 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: Renamed Dealer to SA (Sales Associate)
westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 03:26 AM   #2
msm2
"TRF" Member

I would just enjoy the watch you are about to buy. It should be the other way around in terms of gifts / experiences.
msm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 03:35 AM   #3
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
By buying expensive watches from them... lol
Ar_Mi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 03:39 AM   #4
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
If your SA really take special care for you, such as help you to get the hot watch without on the long wait list, you can thanks her/him by giving gift card at a good restaurant/department store.

Otherwise they are the one that supposed to give you some gift such as nice watch winder, watch pouch/wallet/hat/pen/loupe.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 04:02 AM   #5
GS93108
"TRF" Member

I'm glad you asked.

We have to remember that our contacts at our preferred AP Boutique's etc are people and not the corporation itself. I myself have experienced fantastic assistance from AP London and to a person they are all great and go out of their way to help me. As such, each time I visit I try to take something to say thank you, some cupcakes, or chocolates or something that they as a group can share. It's a trivial offering but I know that it conveys my gratitude.

You can never say thank you too often. It doesn't have to be much, but it lets them know you appreciate them.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 04:42 AM   #6
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
I’m currently thinking of getting my SA a book or two about Rolex. it’ll help with her Knowledge of the brand as a dealer, but also as a collector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 04:44 AM   #7
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
I'm glad you asked.

We have to remember that our contacts at our preferred AP Boutique's etc are people and not the corporation itself. I myself have experienced fantastic assistance from AP London and to a person they are all great and go out of their way to help me. As such, each time I visit I try to take something to say thank you, some cupcakes, or chocolates or something that they as a group can share. It's a trivial offering but I know that it conveys my gratitude.

You can never say thank you too often. It doesn't have to be much, but it lets them know you appreciate them.
Exactly where I'm coming from as well. They are people such as us. If they were exceptional then I would love to give something as a token of my appreciation, to the person and not the company.
Old 15 August 2020, 04:49 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Thank your dealer? For selling you an expensive watch?

What an interesting world we live in....
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #9
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Thank your dealer? For selling you an expensive watch?

What an interesting world we live in....
Your comment epitomises the attitude of too many people on this forum and in this world.

A 'thank you' costs nothing, but luxury purchasers tend to have an in built sense of entitlement...and no manners.
Old 15 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Best to have talked about something that they are interested in beforehand if you are thinking of going this route, and then present them with that thoughtful gift, will mean more than just a standard bottle of wine or chocs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:25 AM   #11
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Best to have talked about something that they are interested in beforehand if you are thinking of going this route, and then present them with that thoughtful gift, will mean more than just a standard bottle of wine or chocs.
Just as an FYI, I'd steer clear of a 'personal' gift if it has a real value as AP have an internal policy against such. Independent AD's may well have their own rules though.
Old 15 August 2020, 05:25 AM   #12
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Your comment epitomises the attitude of too many people on this forum and in this world.

A 'thank you' costs nothing, but luxury purchasers tend to have an in built sense of entitlement...and no manners.
Just do not understand why we should buy someone a gift for the opportunity to buy something from them. Never said a simple "thank you" isnt in order. The biggest thank you I can give (in my opinion) is a referral of one of my friends/colleagues, which I always do.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:52 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
I'm glad you asked.

Actually Gary when we went to AP house earlier this year and you took those amazing cupcakes I felt really bad as I’ve never taken them anything. It made me think that I’d have to up my game in future.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:53 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I prefer to just reward with even more business. But if they genuinely go above and beyond, then I do send a commensurate gift with the effort.

But full disclosure, I’m not in the Kelly Yoch game as it were. I’m just long at pedestrian Daytona’s and RO’s. Even the PM versions would seem like the 100 dollar per hand black jack table vs the true high roller room.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:59 AM   #15
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
When I know they have fought for me to get me a desired/hot timepiece, I'll send me SA a gift certificate to a nice restaurant.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 06:01 AM   #16
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Just do not understand why we should buy someone a gift for the opportunity to buy something from them. Never said a simple "thank you" isnt in order. The biggest thank you I can give (in my opinion) is a referral of one of my friends/colleagues, which I always do.
No reason to buy anyone anything for simply selling you something, that would be perverse. Equally though there's nothing wrong with appreciating someone who goes above and beyond. I'm a typical pain in the ass customer, fickle as hell and a big time consumer, I know it, AP knows it, but they indulge me and thus I try and say thank you.

And I agree completely, a recommendation is the king of 'thank you'.
Old 15 August 2020, 06:02 AM   #17
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Actually Gary when we went to AP house earlier this year and you took those amazing cupcakes I felt really bad as I’ve never taken them anything. It made me think that I’d have to up my game in future.

Those were from you, me and Chris, so on that day they were from all of us.
Old 15 August 2020, 06:06 AM   #18
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I know you were very kind and told them that when you handed them over but I was still a bit embarrassed that I’d never thought of taking a gift, especially as I sat there and drank their expensive whisky.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 06:15 AM   #19
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Here's an example of when a 'thank you' is warranted, at least in my world.

I asked AP to reserve me a blue camo ROO, which they did, they only had an allocation of two for the year. I then changed my mind and told them to let someone else take it. I then changed my mind again a few weeks later, but too late because the first camo had gone. They then held the second one for me, it h'sadn't been received by them yet and was a month or so away. By the time that it arrived my wife convinced me to quit buying ROO's and move onto RO's. The only one I wanted at the time was the blue faced chrono which was somewhat in short supply, but the lovely lady at AP told me she'd get me one. The day of reckoning came, I visited AP decided I didn't want the RO chrono and walked out with the blue camo. I am a pain in the ass. AP was awesome...and they still talk to me and don't dodge my calls...the whole team in AP London is awesome and so I say a very modest thank you when I can. That is above and beyond service and far more than 'allowing me to buy a watch'.

So, if you've got a sales person who assists you and goes above and beyond then a referral and a thank you is well warranted IMO, but a wham bam thank you ma'am transaction is exactly what it is.
Old 15 August 2020, 06:18 AM   #20
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I know you were very kind and told them that when you handed them over but I was still a bit embarrassed that I’d never thought of taking a gift, especially as I sat there and drank their expensive whisky.

Ash, from what Daniel tells me you are a great AP ambassador and know how to sell their watches for them, that trumps cupcakes!
Old 15 August 2020, 06:55 AM   #21
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Generally a hearty handshake and some texts later on of me enjoying the watch I collected.
Old 15 August 2020, 07:13 AM   #22
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
A nice thank you is what i will do. Don't see why i should give my AD a gift. It's their job to sell watches and it is my job to buy them. But if they make a lot of effort for selling me a watch i really want to have and which is hard to get i surely want to think about a bonus for them.
Old 15 August 2020, 07:55 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
I’m currently thinking of getting my SA a book or two about Rolex. it’ll help with her Knowledge of the brand as a dealer, but also as a collector.

are you serious :) unless they are very serious about watches I feel like a gift certificate for a great restaurant close to them or a bouquet of flowers / chocolates (if it's a woman) is better - unless of course they are super into vintage watches - I guess it really depends
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 07:59 AM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's an example of when a 'thank you' is warranted, at least in my world.

I asked AP to reserve me a blue camo ROO, which they did, they only had an allocation of two for the year. I then changed my mind and told them to let someone else take it. I then changed my mind again a few weeks later, but too late because the first camo had gone. They then held the second one for me, it h'sadn't been received by them yet and was a month or so away. By the time that it arrived my wife convinced me to quit buying ROO's and move onto RO's. The only one I wanted at the time was the blue faced chrono which was somewhat in short supply, but the lovely lady at AP told me she'd get me one. The day of reckoning came, I visited AP decided I didn't want the RO chrono and walked out with the blue camo. I am a pain in the ass. AP was awesome...and they still talk to me and don't dodge my calls...the whole team in AP London is awesome and so I say a very modest thank you when I can. That is above and beyond service and far more than 'allowing me to buy a watch'.

So, if you've got a sales person who assists you and goes above and beyond then a referral and a thank you is well warranted IMO, but a wham bam thank you ma'am transaction is exactly what it is.
I would agree, that warrants a thank you...by the person that got the blue chrono!!! I kid, awesome job by London getting you the piece you wanted and clearly deserves a strong thank you for the extra 2 miles.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 08:08 AM   #25
bibbi
"TRF" Member

My approach is that the SAs don’t earn that much money as people buying Rolexes or more expensive watches. If you can afford one, why not give them a nice small (depending on your wallet & gratitude) gift? It’s such a kind, human gesture. That’s what I do. Always AFTER the transaction.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 08:12 AM   #26
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
My approach is that the SAs don’t earn that much money as people buying Rolexes or more expensive watches. If you can afford one, why not give them a nice small (depending on your wallet & gratitude) gift? It’s such a kind, human gesture. That’s what I do. Always AFTER the transaction.

What do you typically give them? I’m on the same boat but not sure what is appropriate/acceptable.

Old 15 August 2020, 12:53 PM   #27
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Jeez Gary and I thought I was high maintenance! ����������
Old 15 August 2020, 05:29 PM   #28
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Jeez Gary and I thought I was high maintenance! ����������
I think you know our real positions on the PITA meter...you have VVVIP status on that too, I am sure.

My example cited was a one(ish) off...although FHB is no longer talking to me, so maybe I'm on a 'list' now, come to think of it I haven't spoken to AP in a while...
Old 15 August 2020, 05:32 PM   #29
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbi View Post
What a guy.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 06:16 PM   #30
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
I think you know our real positions on the PITA meter...you have VVVIP status on that too, I am sure.

My example cited was a one(ish) off...although FHB is no longer talking to me, so maybe I'm on a 'list' now, come to think of it I haven't spoken to AP in a while...